The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Closed Thread

Old 06/18/2012   #1
Ryushikaze
Default GymLeadDevil's Nominee Q and A thread

In the Moderator Q and A threads, every member is allowed to ask potential moderator candidates questions to more completely gauge how you think they'd act as a mod. They are free to answer or not answer these questions as they like. I would ask that you keep the questions and answers fairly serious, since you're trying to determine if each nominee will be a good fit as a moderator. Now, don't think you can't have any fun with this, just don't completely lose the plot for jokes I'd also ask that you not use these threads to pursue vendettas or cause trouble, as it would be rude to the nominees.
Threads will remain open for half a week, after which a voting thread will be opened.

That said, this is the Q and A thread for GLD, so get to it.
Thanked by:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (11/08/2012)
Old 06/18/2012   #2
Alessa Gillespie

you personally feel that something someone has said was quite offensive. however, no one has reported this person at this point in time, though you feel what they posted could be construed as harassment. how would you react?

is daddy still a good man?
like a shotgun needs an outcome

don't trust the ones who shake with their left hand

ACKY: IM NOT A TURIAN I CANT MAEK BABBIES WITH GARRUS

Joe: NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE

can you fight a legendary creature?

i was a TEENAGE CLAIRVOYANT
Old 06/18/2012   #3
The Pyro

@Aki: That'd honestly depend a wee bit on some criteria, such as the offending party's history of making such remarks, who they made it to, and their overall standing with the community. After all, some things said by our members could come off as at least somewhat offensive/harassing to someone unfamiliar with their brand of humor (I know I've had to stop and think of who said certain things to know if I should actually be offended or not in the past).

That said, if no one is reporting it as of yet and it seems offensive in the given context (whatever that context may be), a politely phrased PM to the offending member asking them to dial it back seems the best response. Afterward, I'd want to keep an eye on their posts for a bit to see if they actually listened or not. You specified it could be construed as harassment in your question, so if I'm going to act it might merit a PM to the member they appear to be harassing to gauge their own feelings on the matter. Which would come first, now I think about it. I'd honestly hate to PM someone asking them to back off, only to find the other person involved is completely ok with it/finds it amusing or some such

Yeah, I got more to brag about than ever...
Thanked by 9:
Alessa Gillespie (06/18/2012), Celes Chere (06/18/2012), Chloe Frazer (06/18/2012), Kermitu Kleric Katie (11/08/2012), Lex (06/18/2012), Octo (06/18/2012), The Mad King (06/18/2012), The Man (06/18/2012), Vivi (06/18/2012)
Old 06/18/2012   #4
Rumpelstiltskin

Do you think you can keep a cool head when engaged in a debate with other members hen they don't share your own views?
Thanked by:
Celes Chere (06/18/2012)
Old 06/18/2012   #5
The Pyro

I do, in fact I do this fairly frequently (albeit more so with things I only somewhat disagree with).

Old 06/18/2012   #6
Rumpelstiltskin

Can you give an example?
Old 06/18/2012   #7
Octo

I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Old 06/18/2012   #8
Celes Chere

An infraction was given to one of your close friends and they find it unfair, so they come to you knowing you are a friend they can talk to. How do you respond?
Thanked by:
Octo (06/18/2012)
Old 06/18/2012   #9
The Pyro

First off, my apologies for taking so long to get back to these. My isp seems to be having some difficulties today, so while everything is working fine for me... yeah no internet to connect to a lot of the time. Anyway, let's see what we got here...

Jake Muller wrote: Can you give an example?
That's actually a tough question, I don't honestly remember the specifics of anything relevant here. Disagreements, unless they are major/about something very serious, aren't particularly important to me. I got my way, other folks have theirs.

Someone named Octo wrote: I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?
The same thing I'd do if it was anyone else. I like to hold up my old boss Jeremy as an example of how authority figures have to be with their friends. He was an extremely friendly person, helpful, easy to get along with. Like to laugh and have fun with the employees. But, he was still the boss and if he had to ACT like a boss he just did it. Replace "boss" with "mod" here and it pretty much covers my thoughts on the matter. Friend or not, when the mod hat is on everyone gets the same treatment.

Rebecca Chambers wrote: An infraction was given to one of your close friends and they find it unfair, so they come to you knowing you are a friend they can talk to. How do you respond?
As above, it really doesn't matter if they're my friend or not. If someone comes to me thinking an infraction is unfair, I'll have a look at things for them. If it genuinely seems unfair to me, I'll bring it up with the rest of staff. I'll ask why it got infracted in the first place, and see about getting it reduced/reversed (unless of course the mod who infracted them explains why they did so and I cease to believe it was unfair with this new info). If it looks like a fair cop to me, I'll simply say so and explain why.

Thanked by 3:
Lex (06/18/2012), Octo (06/18/2012), The Mad King (06/18/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #10
Dawnbreaker

Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

"I'll make you happy," said Life, "But first, I'll make you strong."

"You can do everything right and still lose. That is not weakness; that is Life." Jean-Luc Picard / Patrick Stewart

"It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people." Martin Luthar King Jr.

Old 06/19/2012   #11
Unlucky

A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?
Old 06/19/2012   #12
Flintlock

Where would you draw the line between taking action on an obviously troublesome post immediately and waiting for a report to be made? Or would you always choose to wait?
Old 06/19/2012   #13
The Pyro

God of Mischief wrote: Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?
That'd depend entirely on what's going on at the time I was made mod-guy. Assuming everything is mostly calm and such, I'll just spend some time learning from the existing mods how some of the things I've never done before work. Like if and when a post does eventually merit direct action, it'd be nice to know the actual process of warning/infracting someone

Unlucky wrote: A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?
At most, I can see keeping an eye on someone who I know to have that kind of attitude just in case they do bring it to the forum directly. But unless its really severe slagging of not just TLS but also specific members, I can't even really see doing that. As long as its happening elsewhere, that's elsewhere's problem innit?

Flintlock wrote: Where would you draw the line between taking action on an obviously troublesome post immediately and waiting for a report to be made? Or would you always choose to wait?
If its obviously troublesome then there isn't really a need to wait for a report to be made to do something. Whether its a PM asking them to knock that sort of thing off, a post in the thread urging everyone to move on, or whatever. No sense letting it fester without any action. But, unless its severe as well as obvious, I would prefer to keep my finger off the warning/infraction trigger until a report is made, give them a chance to dial it back and possibly apologize for whatever they posted if they're of a mind to.

Thanked by 3:
Dawnbreaker (06/20/2012), Flintlock (06/19/2012), Unlucky (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #14
Octo

One of the raisins I declined to be a nominee for mod is that with a baby on the way I feel my time online will be constrained (this depends on the baby of course, but if its anything like me its going to be a demanding little creature lol)

As you are in a similar situation do you feel that you will be able to devote sufficient time to moderating? What contingencies will you set in place if such 'schedule conflicts' arise?

Wow this is great I always wanted to be a shithead job interviewer....of course impending parenthood should have no bearing on whether you get the job or not, cos thats like illegal or something

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Old 06/19/2012   #15
The Pyro

Someone named Octo wrote: One of the raisins I declined to be a nominee for mod is that with a baby on the way I feel my time online will be constrained (this depends on the baby of course, but if its anything like me its going to be a demanding little creature lol)

As you are in a similar situation do you feel that you will be able to devote sufficient time to moderating? What contingencies will you set in place if such 'schedule conflicts' arise?

Wow this is great I always wanted to be a shithead job interviewer....of course impending parenthood should have no bearing on whether you get the job or not, cos thats like illegal or something
I do indeed expect that the baby will prevent me from being on the forum quite so often as I am currently, as will work whenever I finally find a frickin' job. But considering how much time I spend here now, a fraction of that time is still a pretty good chunk.

Since you specifically were asking about how the kiddo will affect my ability to be here, I'd like to say this isn't going to be my first rodeo for taking care of a baby long term. I've had everything from newborns to nearly-teens to take care of in the past. Some of them lived with me as long as six months. Its a lot of effort to care for them properly, yes, but with the right mindset its not too hard to find time for more leisurely activities such as forum posting and the like. I may sometimes have to stop midway through writing a post/PM to change a smelly diaper, or click and type entirely one handed so I can hold and bounce the little one while she sleeps, and so on, but I can do that

Thanked by:
Octo (06/19/2012)
Closed Thread