The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05/31/2009   #31
Max Payne
Default

Quexinos wrote:
Then people need to grow the hell up because it's internets.
Yeah, because that's always how it works right? The fact is whether we like it or not people will take other people seriously on the internet because guess what? You're still dealing with people, and it's not hard for people to piss each other off.

And yes, I realise the irony in me saying this.
Max Payne is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #32
The Man
Default

True enough, but if people can't lulz over pictures depicting abuse to their favourite video game character, then the terrorists win. Or something like that.
__________________


You’re better off not dreaming of the things to come
Dreams are always ending far too soon









“When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew.
I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage, I made
the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I do believe my
sister ate. At least, I hope she did.” -Tyrion Lannister
“The management is very bad. In fact, let’s not mince words: The management is terrible!
We’ve had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars, and lunatics making a string of catastrophic
decisions. This is a plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these
people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I’ll admit that
anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after
century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious
incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without
question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous
and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was, ‘No.’” -V
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about answers.” -Thomas Pynchon
“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith
“Why throw money at problems? That's what money is for. Should the nation's wealth be redistributed? It has been and continues to be redistributed to a few people in a manner strikingly unhelpful.” -Kurt Vonnegut
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” -John Steinbeck
“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin
“In all history, there is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.” -Sun Tzu
“...pero Capitán, obedecer por obedecer, así, sin pensarlo... sólo lo hacen gentes como usted, Capitán.” -Dr Ferreiro, Pan’s Labyrinth
“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” -William Blake
“Yeah, you really got my act down good, guys. That'll be great. ‘You know, when I’m done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched! That’s why I drink Orange Drink.’” -Bill Hicks








last.fm (note: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw) · Fool's Gold · FFOF · FF
the lifestream last.fm group · my old music · my new music · pm for myspace/facebook
The Man is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #33
Max Payne
Default

I think that's a little disturbing to be honest.
Max Payne is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #34
Dashell
Default

Dacon wrote: Yeah, because that's always how it works right? The fact is whether we like it or not people will take other people seriously on the internet because guess what? You're still dealing with people, and it's not hard for people to piss each other off.

And yes, I realise the irony in me saying this.
you know... if I said something like that back in the day, I'd be flamed to hell and back

I think that's a little disturbing to be honest.
welcome to the wonderful world of S&M
Dashell is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #35
Makoeyes987
Default

I'm pretty sure there are others who would agree, and again, a club based on that is a bit ridiculous and totally not necessary here.

In fact, there was a club just like that on ACF if I remember correctly. The members of it roleplayed repeatedly torturing and brutalizing Cloud and that went on for 12 fucking pages. It was stupidity at its finest and people trolled it. And then they whined. And then they trolled the people who trolled them. And it became one big circle-jerk of hate and crap that generated way too much problems than such stupidity was worth.

I'm going to be frank and say we don't want that here. If you want to discuss what you don't like or how you find X character ridiculous and badly characterized (see MOG's Angeal & Genesis thread in the CC section) that's good. That's the type of discussion we encourage. But a topic on how you see Tifa as a skank, or Tidus as a whiny emo boy or whatever new pejorative kids these days say about things, then take that elsewhere. Fashion a discussion with a little more weight than that please. We are not gamefaqs.

Last edited by Makoeyes987; 05/31/2009 at 04:01 AM.
Makoeyes987 is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #36
Dashell
Default

Mako Eyes wrote: I'm pretty sure there are others who would agree, and again, a club based on that is a bit ridiculous and totally not necessary here.

In fact, there was a club just like that on ACF if I remember correctly. The members of it roleplayed repeatedly torturing and brutalizing Cloud and that went on for 12 fucking pages. It was stupidity at its finest and people trolled it. And then they whined. And then they trolled the people who trolled them. And it became one big circle-jerk of hate and crap that generated way too much problems than such stupidity was worth.
haha really?... do you have said RPs saved?

yeah I know, I need to grow up...

I guess invoking a "no trolling clubs" wouldn't work either, cause people will do it either way.
Dashell is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #37
The Man
Default

If people break rules then warn them? seems simple enough. If there are no rules against "hate threads" but only against flaming in them, then just enforcing those rules consistently should hopefully be significant enough to prevent people from acting like jackasses. It'd just have to be decided whether to allow non-flaming/trolling dissent and then that could be enforced rigorously.

Seriously, a lot of what prevents drama on a board is just staff enforcing rules consistently and logically. The rules themselves don't really matter that much as long as they don't blatantly contradict common sense.
__________________


You’re better off not dreaming of the things to come
Dreams are always ending far too soon









“When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew.
I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage, I made
the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I do believe my
sister ate. At least, I hope she did.” -Tyrion Lannister
“The management is very bad. In fact, let’s not mince words: The management is terrible!
We’ve had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars, and lunatics making a string of catastrophic
decisions. This is a plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these
people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I’ll admit that
anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after
century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious
incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without
question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous
and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was, ‘No.’” -V
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about answers.” -Thomas Pynchon
“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith
“Why throw money at problems? That's what money is for. Should the nation's wealth be redistributed? It has been and continues to be redistributed to a few people in a manner strikingly unhelpful.” -Kurt Vonnegut
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” -John Steinbeck
“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin
“In all history, there is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.” -Sun Tzu
“...pero Capitán, obedecer por obedecer, así, sin pensarlo... sólo lo hacen gentes como usted, Capitán.” -Dr Ferreiro, Pan’s Labyrinth
“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” -William Blake
“Yeah, you really got my act down good, guys. That'll be great. ‘You know, when I’m done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched! That’s why I drink Orange Drink.’” -Bill Hicks








last.fm (note: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw) · Fool's Gold · FFOF · FF
the lifestream last.fm group · my old music · my new music · pm for myspace/facebook
The Man is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #38
Dashell
Default

Well, I can see what they mean. I agree with you, but I think they're point is it always becomes a problem sooner or later. Kinda of like how I didn't want people at my One Piece forum to mention this other forum that was like our rival. It'd just create drama, but I hated to make a rule against it cause of Freedom of Speech and all that.

The only other thing is if people would have to be okayed to join the club or group but that's basically just teams I think.

Of course if The Man really change your guy's minds that'd be neat too =D
Dashell is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #39
Max Payne
Default

Quexinos wrote: you know... if I said something like that back in the day, I'd be flamed to hell and back
War has changed.
Max Payne is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #40
Makoeyes987
Default

No. What's more simple is not having it in the first place , and even if you warn them, that's not gonna deter everyone. It'll still *happen,* piss people off and there's just no reason to open up that pandora's box of bullshit. We don't need clubs like that. That didn't work before on ACF and club trolling became a problem. I don't want that problem here and it's better to hold posters to a higher standard in commenting on what they like, like intelligent human beings, rather than acting trollish and stating immature hate towards crap.
Makoeyes987 is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #41
Dashell
Default

Frankly I think the worser thing ACF did was member clubs. IIRC you couldn't have anti member clubs... I was very devastated when I heard this No Anti Nique club.

BTW when i said a few pages ago that I was going to make an anti Cloud club regardless of what you guys said, I meant I was going to make it elsewhere, not here... sorry that came out wrong.

Last edited by Dashell; 05/31/2009 at 04:10 AM.
Dashell is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #42
Munatik
Default

IMO hate clubs are really just fan clubs under a delusional, bullshit heading. You hate a character, yet have the heart and energy to dedicate a hate thread/club to them? Come on, let's be more honest.

To be more clear, I too think hate threads are worthless and therefore I'm OK with their being a rule against them.

That being said, just because you want to abuse Cloud, doesn't mean you hate him.
__________________

Help yourself to some guaranteed lulz
--> Dancing Pink
--> Rifftrax v. High School Musical
Munatik is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #43
Makoeyes987
Default

I think that's common sense. I'm sure a member would be pretty pissed off if they found out a hate club existed based on them on the forum they frequent.
Makoeyes987 is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #44
The Man
Default

Mako Eyes wrote: No. What's more simple is not having it in the first place , and even if you warn them, that's not gonna deter everyone. It'll still *happen,* piss people off and there's just no reason to open up that pandora's box of bullshit. We don't need clubs like that. That didn't work before on ACF and club trolling became a problem. I don't want that problem here and it's better to hold posters to a higher standard in commenting on what they like, like intelligent human beings, rather than acting trollish and stating immature hate towards crap.
It's possible to allow anti-character discussion without tolerating inane crap, you realise.

And ACF had a problem with drama because it implemented everything that could conceivably result in drama poorly. For example, the spam section shouldn't have been visible to everyone; it should have had a warning on its forum description that content within it could be offensive to the faint-hearted and been password protected. Then the people who went in and bawwwwwed about being offended by the KKK references and constant trolling would have only had themselves to blame for viewing it, and there would've been little to no drama outside the spam section. Maybe something similar should have been done with anti-character clubs. I never really viewed them much but if the trolling was as bad as you say then it sounds like people just went in not knowing what to expect.

Password-protecting content works really well. We haven't had any complaints about ACC spoilers because they're all confined to a specific section of the forum which people have to consent to viewing before they see anything from it. I don't see why other sensitive material can't be handled similarly. Indeed, in my experience doing so pretty much removes all conflict from the main forums entirely - FG has pretty much had no drama since I forced the flaming to be contained to a specific section. Of course, that section has also been almost entirely dead, and the entirety of the forum hasn't been all that much better, but you can't have everything - TLS isn't a forum that's fed on drama and flaming for the past few years so it should have a much better experience with it.
__________________


You’re better off not dreaming of the things to come
Dreams are always ending far too soon









“When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew.
I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage, I made
the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I do believe my
sister ate. At least, I hope she did.” -Tyrion Lannister
“The management is very bad. In fact, let’s not mince words: The management is terrible!
We’ve had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars, and lunatics making a string of catastrophic
decisions. This is a plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these
people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I’ll admit that
anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after
century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious
incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without
question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous
and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was, ‘No.’” -V
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about answers.” -Thomas Pynchon
“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith
“Why throw money at problems? That's what money is for. Should the nation's wealth be redistributed? It has been and continues to be redistributed to a few people in a manner strikingly unhelpful.” -Kurt Vonnegut
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” -John Steinbeck
“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin
“In all history, there is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.” -Sun Tzu
“...pero Capitán, obedecer por obedecer, así, sin pensarlo... sólo lo hacen gentes como usted, Capitán.” -Dr Ferreiro, Pan’s Labyrinth
“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” -William Blake
“Yeah, you really got my act down good, guys. That'll be great. ‘You know, when I’m done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched! That’s why I drink Orange Drink.’” -Bill Hicks








last.fm (note: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw) · Fool's Gold · FFOF · FF
the lifestream last.fm group · my old music · my new music · pm for myspace/facebook
The Man is offline  
Old 05/31/2009   #45
Dashell
Default

Mako Eyes wrote: I think that's common sense. I'm sure a member would be pretty pissed off if they found out a hate club existed based on them on the forum they frequent.
I guarantee it, no attention whore would hate this.

munatik wrote:
That being said, just because you want to abuse Cloud, doesn't mean you hate him. [/COLOR]
Exactly my point a few pages ago... Hence me bringing up S&M
But I have a feeling if I brought my... thoughts... about Cloud abuse into the Cloud club they wouldn't appreciate it so much.. .
Dashell is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.