The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Old 08/17/2009   #1
Cthulhu
Default Ad tests commencing

Hi, and sorry for the short (was it 5 minutes?) downtime.

I'm currently about to start doing advertising tests, see which ones work and which ones don't. Use this thread for ad feedback - if you've got a complaint about the ads, their location, their obtrusiveness, or whichever, post in this thread.

If you've donated, you shouldn't be seeing ads - unless I haven't set it up properly yet, in which case, bear with me.

If you do see ads and can't stand 'em, you're still free to donate using this page, any amount will get you into the Donator usergroup and will stop you from seeing ads.

Initially, I'll only put ads on the forums - that's where the donator usergroup is, and that's the most frequently visited part of our site (with 350.000 pageviews a month, it should be able to generate plenty of revenue).

As for what to do with the money, I'll just squander it on eastern European prostitutes and the like. When not doing that, and there's enough left after squandering on said eastern European whores, we'll be using it to pay for the hosting and site features, such as Ultimanias and whatnot.

Next to that, I've been doing a bit of financial administration. So far, TLS has received a total of $274,50 in donations (not counting my own contributions). So far, we've spent $302,40 on hosting and (mainly) the vB license, which counted in at $207,- - also due to the 19% VAT that was added to it for buying it from my own country.

Just so you know, whilst those amounts don't match up, 'we' aren't in financial troubles - if anything, I'd be able to pay for another year of hosting, and the amount left in the donator account is still enough to pay for 3/4th (or so, calculus isn't my prime) of said hosting cost. Not only that, but the euro to dollar conversion rates are still in my favor, :monster;.

Anyways, that's it for a financial overview of TLS so far. Not sure if I'll be doing more of those, but I guess you'll find out in the end, ;p. As said, use this thread for ad feedback.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009   #2
Carlos

you could have asked me for money

im a billionaire

Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009   #3
Cthulhu

Well fine then, give me your money .

First ad test, 'big arse' setting - one big one at the top, one big one below. Shouldn't be visible to donators at the moment.

Let me know if you've got a better idea. Next test, I'll put the one currently at the bottom somewhere in between the posts, or put a wide row of text ads somewhere. I dunno, lol .

Also, these ads are promising - right now it's challenging my intelligence by asking me how many triangles I see, .
Old 08/17/2009   #4
Bex

Looks awful.
You should offer some sort of bonus to people who donate.
Old 08/17/2009   #5
Carlos

"Who ever donates gets to shag Bexy"

Old 08/17/2009   #6
Bex

I did find this ad very relevant though, at least there's still hope for alot of people here.
Old 08/17/2009   #7
Carlos

My prayers have been answered.

and like about 88% of the peoples here too

Old 08/17/2009   #8
Rumpelstiltskin

Bexy wrote:

I did find this ad very relevant though, at least there's still hope for alot of people here.

wow, it's like it knows aaron frequents here.
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009   #9
Cthulhu

Bexy wrote: Looks awful.
You should offer some sort of bonus to people who donate.
I did - ad removal and the like, . If you're a donator and think you're entitled to something, feel free to ask us about it and/or suggest more donator benefits. My originality is low.
Old 08/17/2009   #10
Cat Rage Room

Bexy wrote: Looks awful.
What's so awful about it?
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009   #11
Carlos

The Notorious M.O.G. wrote: What's so awful about it?
dont mind her recent pessimism.

she is just a little ticked I didn't pull out

Old 08/17/2009   #12
Bex

The Notorious M.O.G. wrote: What's so awful about it?
In my opinion, it just makes the site look alot less slick, almost cheap and half assed.
Also not a huge fan of flash eyesores like PLAY IN POST APOCOLYPTIC TOKYO OMGGGG

You asked, I delivered.
Old 08/17/2009   #13
Makoeyes987

Bexy wrote: In my opinion, it just makes the site look alot less slick, almost cheap and half assed.
Also not a huge fan of flash eyesores like PLAY IN POST APOCOLYPTIC TOKYO OMGGGG

You asked, I delivered.
Agreed. Flashing ads are a big no-no. Can't we do something like google text ads or something? People are really gonna be put off by flashing banner ads like that, or ads that imply they need to get laid.

And seriously. If people donated, take the ads off. They do not need to see this. Donators definitely earned the 'no-ads' privileged.
Makoeyes987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009   #14
Carlos

Tyrant of Skulls wrote: or ads that imply they need to get laid.
do they not know that Aaron has feelings? Feelings that can be hurt just like the rest of us?

the audacity of those monsters

Old 08/17/2009   #15
Dashell

Can't see a thing in Firefox
Dashell is offline   Reply With Quote