The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

View Poll Results: Are you willing to actively contribute to the site?
Yes, I can contribute fanart/editorials/encylopedia entries/contests/other stuff 21 87.50%
No, too busy/not interested/I enjoy reaping the fruits of the labors of others and giving nothing in return 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01/26/2010   #1
Cat Rage Room
Default THE LIFESTREAM ANNOUNCEMENT: Show of hands, who wants to do stuff?

This is a discussion from a previous topic. For a little while, there was a sentiment here by some of us that only the Staff are supposed to do anything while the memberbase sits around and waits on us to do cool stuff.

Fortunately, this doesn't really have to be how it works. Theoretically, the best case scenario for a site like this is for everyone, everyone to do, and start projects and fan development with very little Staff interaction, except for putting it up on the site and moderation. Said projects and fan development stuff includes but is not limited to; fan works, translations, interviews, remixes (and support of the remixers, something I suggested we should do here), fanart, retranslations of the games, official art, fan created games (good ones too), gameplay guides, FAQS, game scripts, the Encylopedia, massive amounts of editorials from its regular members and etcetera etcetera.

Now the question is, is anyone willing to actually START (not just 'help out when the Staff starts it') any of these ideas and actually get a good number of people to help out? I just want to get the mindset going that it DOESN'T just have to be Staff that starts and organizes this kind of thing. It has to be the mindset of EVERYONE to do.

Also, if you can contribute or have any ideas, please post them in this topic!

If you're interested in the string of comments that inspired this topic;

Well, like I said before, Chrono Compendium does a good job with maintaining a site with new stuff even though both of the games its build around are older and well weathered. Granted, like we discussed before, that's mostly because the Chrono series has a hell of a lot more to talk about, but even then, they're creative. They don't limit it to just discussions.

They have fan works, they personally dig up translations, interviews, remixes (and support of the remixers, something I suggested we should do here), fanart, retranslations of the games, official art, fan created games (good ones too), gameplay guides, FAQS, game scripts, the Encylopedia, massive amounts of editorials from its regular members (something else we should do, and it PROVES that Staff shouldn't be the only ones to have to do things such as editorials), analysis, etc etc. I could go on!

The problem with the community here is that a lot of the userbase has the "What have you done for me lately" attitude with the Staff, tapping their feet waiting on us, whereas with a site such as Chrono Compendium, everyone pitches in to do anything and everything.
Jacen wrote: I would have suggested doing exactly that: something like the Compendium. Make an encyclopedia so goddamned big the gods will notice us again, write tons of essays and analyses and timelines. I didn't, because I can't make any pledge to support it. I'm way too busy (well, except right this moment, but I'm on leave.)

Last edited by Cat Rage Room; 02/27/2010 at 04:11 PM.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #2
Tennyo

Well I am going to be starting up a Wallpaper project. I'm just wanting to get a few things done before I get into that.
Old 01/26/2010   #3
looneymoon

copypasted from other topic.

To be quite honest, I don't have the first clue about garnering interest/activity in a fandom or fandom community. I think an Encyclopedia would actually be a great idea, as I see from randomly poking around LJ and such there are a lot of people still confused with elements of the Compilation. I would love to contribute in some way (doing write ups/fanart helps with my irl skills), I just don't think my knowledge is as sharp as others who post around here. Plus insecurity/laziness/lack of free time etc

Also, if members started facilitating fanwork (I think this is something suited to maybe the Clubs section or the creative section) it may garner some attention from people who are a bit more apathetic to the canon.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (01/26/2010)
Old 01/26/2010   #4
Cat Rage Room

ALSO COPYPASTED IN RESPONSE TO LOONEY HAR HAR

You don't actually have to be the one to rally up people and start it up (it would be nice to see more people besides the Staff do it, though), but hell, even contributing is great. An article here, fanart there, whatever.

I mean, enthusiasm's great, but if EVERYONE goes "YEAH SURE I THINK THAT'S A GREAT IDEA" and they never actually DO anything, well, what good is that? Not a personal attack on you or anything, Looney, of course.
Thanked by:
Old 01/26/2010   #5
Winter

I love to write essays.

Like, a lot.

You should probably give me topics/suggest topics, otherwise mine will all be about Aerith (she is so wonderful) or me bitching because Gast wasn't in Dirge of Cerberus.

Cause even though you got all these highfalutin morals and fancy reserv8tions, you know as well as me that a killer is a killer is a killer!
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01/26/2010   #6
Cat Rage Room

Also, I added a poll.
Old 01/26/2010   #7
Pixel

lol you read my mind.

The whole ACC commentary thing is still there, waiting to be done. People have shown interest, but nothing happened.

Anyway, Ive been busy working on a little somethin somethin that'll hit soon
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #8
Tennyo

Just you better not take my Wallpaper project away from me!!!!!!

I want to create a few wallpapers myself first. That and make some headway on Dessies. Then the project will start!!!!

Like Vines wrote: I love to write essays.

Like, a lot.

You should probably give me topics/suggest topics, otherwise mine will all be about Aerith (she is so wonderful) or me bitching because Gast wasn't in Dirge of Cerberus.
I don't see anything wrong with writing essays about these two topics. I think you should give it a go!

Last edited by Tennyo; 01/26/2010 at 04:43 AM.
Tennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #9
Celes Chere

HEY I GAVE TRES THOSE FFVIII SCANS I DID MY PART. No really, though, I will help with anything I can. I don't know what I CAN do, though.
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #10
Cat Rage Room

Also, the 'blame' (not that there really is any BLAME, it's just something I wanted to emphasize, hence this topic), the memberbase aren't the only ones who could take a lesson in 'get up off our collective asses', the Staff also has had issues with this very thing, and yes, we've been trying to improve.

So I don't want to come off as some sort of ivory tower fanatic. I myself have procrastinated quite a bit about doing stuff for the site, myself.
Old 01/26/2010   #11
Ryushikaze

Pixel and I are working on OTWTAS audiobooks. Anyone who wants to help can talk to him about other voices, I guess.

Also, I will be doing the Commentary track at some point. Mumble, Bex, Alex, Pixel, whoever else wants to do it, give me a time you can do it, I am ready to go.

Last edited by Ryushikaze; 01/26/2010 at 04:54 AM.
Ryushikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #12
Tennyo

Audiobooks? For serious? I want to do that!!!!
Old 01/26/2010   #13
null

This could turn out pretty interesting.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #14
Super Mario

Ryushikaze wrote: Pixel and I are working on OTWTAS audiobooks. Anyone who wants to help can talk to him about other voices, I guess.

Also, I will be doing the Commentary track at some point. Mumble, Bex, Alex, Pixel, whoever else wants to do it, give me a time you can do it, I am ready to go.
Still downloading ACC. then I'm game. I've yet to secure any streaming site on Alex's suggestion. Shit is not cash.

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #15
Bex

I can do it pretty much any time.

I'm willing to contribute other stuff too, like articles and shit.
It's just that you guys never asked.