The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Sub-Final Fantasy

Sub-Final Fantasy General discussion for non-numbered Final Fantasies, Final Fantasy-related games, broad Final Fantasy topics, and crossovers.

Old 12/26/2009   #1
Cat Rage Room
Default [From GameFaqs] Why Serious topic: Why aren't there any 'thick' Final Fantasy females..?

This topic is taken from GameFaqs after I read through it. The author brings up an interesting point that I would like to discuss.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=52784186

To those of you unfamiliar with the term 'thick', see Beyounce or Alicia Keys for great examples.

But yeah, seriously, seeing a thick Final Fantasy heroine would totally set off an attraction towards PORYGONZ for me. Don't get me wrong, Lightning and Serah are both cute, and Fang can REALLY get it as well as Vanille (In order from #1 to last: Fang, Vanille, Lightning, Serah..), but they could all use some extra meat on those bones.. ..giv'em more of a 'coke-bottle/hourglass'-shape, you know? Big legs, too.. like.. big calves.. I like curves, you dig?

But yeah, this is a serious discussion.

BTW, any thick girls out there on these boards that love FF? o_O;
My post;

I agree with TC. It is a bit tiring, if nothing else from an aesthetic perspective, to see the same body type be represented with little exception, in almost every single FF game.
Additional thoughts: I have to say I agree with the guy. It's pretty tiring to see the same template of 'SKINNY WHITE CHICK' for FF females over and over and over again, with very little exception. Most of us know the cultural reasons why they choose this aesthetic, but would it hurt to try something different? They try different things with the storytelling, the gameplay, and even the format (whoa ff13 is gonna be on xbox dudes), so why are they so stagnant about how the characters look?

When it's done right, which does occasionally happen in other titles (for example, Nikea in Suikoden V) it can turn out pretty well, so what's the holdup?
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013), The Twilight Mexican (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #2
The Twilight Mexican

A good question and well put. I'm also tired of the same body type -- and same skin tones, with the most variation being between Fang and Vanille -- showing up game after game.

Despite the cultural reasons that the Japanese constantly use caucasian-like characters, it is more than a little disturbing that you can count on one hand the number of main characters who were more ethnically diverse.

You have to really work to find more than even five important non-caucasian characters -- Yang, Barret, Rude, Kiros, Raijin, Donna, Buddy and Sazh give us eight, and you don't even get to play as four of them -- and Mog, Umaro, Red XIII, Quina, Vivi and the like don't count.

Personally, I think it's high time -- or past it -- we got a thick or even chunky chick, or a Black or Hispanic one. I can only figure that worries that it won't sell as well are what have prevented it.

It's awesome that FFXIII has finally given us FFXIII spoilers a lesbian couple, but it's very surprising that a chubby chick hasn't shown up before this.

Last edited by The Twilight Mexican; 12/26/2009 at 08:23 AM.
The Twilight Mexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Cat Rage Room (12/26/2009), Cloudskye (12/30/2009), Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013), Kikyou (11/04/2010), looneymoon (12/26/2009), Makoeyes987 (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #3
Ghost X

Best edit that spoiler tag . Anyways, to comment on the topic, its just a result of stagnant art direction. Square-Enix needs new blood, and the problem won't be fixed until it happens. Saw some asian MMORPG the other day, with some nice looking curvy ladies in it. Forgot the name of it though. The booth the game was displayed at had some women dressed up in costume, which breached clothing regulations, so they had to be forcefully removed. Maybe that'll refresh someone's memory.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #4
Dashell

I always just assumed because they were trying to make them sexy and sex sells. It wouldn't hurt to throw a kind chubby one into the game... but you have to wonder if people would be turned off by it.
Dashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #5
Cat Rage Room

I always just assumed because they were trying to make them sexy and sex sells.
I assumed that too, but that sort of goes out the window when you realize that skinny women of caucasian appearance aren't the only sex symbols in the world (if anything, I'd wager that Brazilian models have waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more primal sex appeal than a flat chested, flat assed European one).

Also keep in mind that in this usage, 'thick' does not mean fat or even chubby. It's just a slang term for shapely, yet attractive women. Think Beyonce. Vida Guerra. However, there aren't too many people calling either of them chubby or fat.

Last edited by Cat Rage Room; 12/26/2009 at 08:25 AM.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #6
Vendel

Well it took us 4 DoA's to get a brown skinned beauty. So it's clearly not just SE

What does Kanye have to say about this?

"The Japanese don't like Black people."

Last edited by Vendel; 12/26/2009 at 09:31 AM.
Vendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Alex (12/26/2009), Super Mario (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #7
Dashell

Also keep in mind that in this usage, 'thick' does not mean fat or even chubby.
Really? Shit did I just say something racist
Actually I think Beyonce is pretty damn hot and if that's what you mean by "thick" then yeah by all means, add more thick girls to FF
Dashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #8
Cthulhu

I disagree with Beyonce, but anyways,

This isn't limited to FF only, afaik. It's a marketing and a designer thing, I guess.

At least they put a token black into the games every once in a while.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013)
Old 12/26/2009   #9
The Twilight Mexican

I would call Beyonce "voluptuous." I'm more used to hearing "thick" used for chubby chicks.

In any case, FF suffers a severe lack of both body types.

My earlier list, by the way, forgot General Leo -- so that's nine important-to-relatively important non-caucasian characters. And five of them are NPCs.

I think FFX-2: International+Last Mission lets you use Buddy in some of the extra shit, but that hardly counts for anything.

I considered adding Fran to the list, but nah -- she's a Viera before she's anything else, so she falls more into the same kind of group as Red XIII or Kimahri.

Let me just post that list one more time:

Yang
General Leo
Barret
Rude
Kiros
Raijin
Donna
Buddy
Sazh

This is pretty sad given how many FF characters there are. The totality of that list is equal to the entire main cast of some of the games!

By the way, for those not keeping count, that's 7 Black characters, one Asian (Yang), and one Hispanic (Rude). Only one of them is female, and she's an NPC.

I ever so briefly considered counting Yuffie as another Asian, but I really don't think she fits the bill after all.
Thanked by:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013)
Old 12/26/2009   #10
Mantichorus

My first reaction to seeing this title was "what about Rikku?", but I realise you don't mean that sort of thick...

But, I agree. It's kinda depressing that the one time I've had a sexual dream about a FF girl, she was pissed off cos I held myself back for fear of hurting her.

As for ethnic diversity... Hell, that's just as depressing. Although, Kiros is easily the coolest character in VIII. I imagine him voiced by Danny John-Jules (Cat in Red Dwarf, but not the Cat's voice).
To keep one step ahead of you
L.E. Modesitt, Jr wrote: Sometimes cynicism is the last refuge of the idealist.
As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up.
You think water moves fast? You should see ice. It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once and got a taste for murder.
Gym Leader Kris sprite by Brooke

Sam Vimes arrested a dragon... and carries the law with him like an Ampharos
Vimes and PokeSammies sprite by GLD
Mantichorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #11
ForceStealer

Eat your heart out, Beyonce

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Dark and Divine (12/26/2009), Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013), Kikyou (11/04/2010), looneymoon (12/26/2009), The Twilight Mexican (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #12
Bex

Mantichorus wrote: But, I agree. It's kinda depressing that the one time I've had a sexual dream about a FF girl, she was pissed off cos I held myself back for fear of hurting her.
This unnecessary piece of info has suddenly made this thread hilarious and therefore worth reading.
Alex (12/26/2009), Dark and Divine (12/26/2009), DrakeClawfang (12/26/2009), Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013), Kikyou (11/04/2010), Makoeyes987 (12/29/2009), Raquelborn (12/27/2009), Super Mario (12/27/2009), The Twilight Mexican (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #13
Alex

I really don't care about the lack of realistically proportioned characters in Final Fantasy.

Their inclusion might make cosplaying easier for a certain portion of the fandom though.
Bex (12/26/2009), Dark and Divine (12/26/2009), DrakeClawfang (12/26/2009), Kermitu Kleric Katie (03/23/2013), LicoriceAllsorts (12/26/2009), Super Mario (12/27/2009), The Twilight Mexican (12/26/2009)
Old 12/26/2009   #14
Super Mario

Mantichorus wrote: But, I agree. It's kinda depressing that the one time I've had a sexual dream about a FF girl, she was pissed off cos I held myself back for fear of hurting her.

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009   #15
Loxetta

TresDias wrote: I ever so briefly considered counting Yuffie as another Asian, but I really don't think she fits the bill after all.
I'd count Yuffie. Wutai is obviously the source for everything pseudo-Oriental in FF7's world, and she looks pretty Asian. And you forgot Tseng.

It's so hard to single out Asian characters in Final Fantasy games though, since, with Sqex's developers being Japanese, a lot of them can have minor Asian features even when it's obvious they're meant to be Caucasian.

The fact that this was a serious point in your post makes it all the funnier.
Loxetta is offline   Reply With Quote