The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 10/12/2011   #151
Desiree

Question regarding FFIX:

As we all know, Gaia wasn't an ordinary planet. Terra is actually inside it, where the lava should normally be. Where does the lava come from to the Gulug Volcano/Fire Shrine?
Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011   #152
Mr. Ite

Magic.

I kid. Srs answr is now:

That always confused me, because the, um, event at the Shimmering Islands looks a hell of a lot like interdimensional travel to me. I always kind of assumed that Terra existed in a kind of pocket universe, tethered to Gaia by the Iifa tree and the Shimmering Islands (the tether in this instance being made up of human soul-traffic)
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011   #153
Makoeyes987

Well the thing is, is that when Terra tried to assimilate Gaia, the failure of that attempt caused Gaia to assimilate Terra. So Gaia kinda..half-assed swallowed it up. They're two planets in a sense, occupying the same space, magically.

It's...kinda like a pocket dimension but not, because spiritually/metaphically, the two planets are fused together and Terra is within it. But Terra is like..on the reverse side of Gaia's insides.

If...that makes any sense.
Makoeyes987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Celes Chere (10/16/2011)
Old 04/25/2017   #154
Jason Tandro

---

But yeah I'm playing FF9 again for the Retrospective and I'm kind of surprised how deeply buried the convo is for this game. I imagine we all talk about it a lot in general but seriously let's dig into this (also I wanted a place besides Facebook to share my livejournal of the playthrough... ahem)

I have only beaten this game twice, and the last time was over a decade ago. So this playthrough is gonna be really exciting for me. Also it is worth noting that I recently picked up the Art of Final Fantasy IX book so from time to time I might post some pictures of said book in this thread for reasons.

Anyway here's my first journal entry.

Journal 1: Go Puck Yourself
The entire opening sequence up to the crash landing in Evil Forest.

Edit: And yes, per tradition I have accordingly updated my sig and ava.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Chloe Frazer (04/25/2017), Cthulhu (04/25/2017), Dark and Divine (04/25/2017), Shademp (04/28/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/29/2017), vaderSW1 (04/28/2017)
Old 04/28/2017   #155
Jason Tandro

Here's my next journal!

Journal 2: Mist Connection
Evil Forest to Black Waltz 3 Fight
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (04/28/2017), Shademp (04/28/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/29/2017), vaderSW1 (04/28/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #156
Jason Tandro

Ooh forgot to post here:

Journal 3: It's Because I'm a Black Mage, Isn't It?
Lindblum, Quina, Chocobo, Gizamaluke, Burmecia

Journal 4: Tree, No.
South Gate, Treno, Cleyra
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (05/11/2017), Shademp (05/11/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/11/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #157
Shademp

Lindbulm, eh?

Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
ForceStealer (05/11/2017), Howl (05/11/2017), Jason Tandro (05/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/11/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #158
ForceStealer

lol Trancerant

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Jason Tandro (05/12/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #159
Flintlock

Trance is so dumb. I prefer systems where you can get limit breaks by running around to regenerate MP or by spamming the triangle button.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Howl (05/11/2017), Jason Tandro (05/12/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #160
Lex

Trance IS dumb. I wouldn't have a problem with it if I were allowed to actually KEEP it.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Jason Tandro (05/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/11/2017)
Old 05/11/2017   #161
Flintlock

I know buddy. I was just pointing out that it's far from the only dumb system in the Final Fantasy series. And Trance makes a lot more sense story-wise than most of them.
Thanked by:
Old 05/11/2017   #162
Howl

Shademp wrote: Lindbulm, eh?

It will always be LindBLUM to me. Just like Sephiroth will always be Sephy-Roth.

Srsly, once you say it to yourself and you fuck it up that first time, it will always be Lindblum, always.
Thanked by:
Old 05/11/2017   #163
Flintlock

But it is Lindblum.
Thanked by 4:
Jason Tandro (05/12/2017), Lex (05/12/2017), Shademp (05/11/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/12/2017)
Old 05/12/2017   #164
JBedford

Yeah, it's written "Lindbulm" in Japanese in-game graphics and other Japanese material. In the English version they use "Lindblum" in all English dialogue and in the graphic that comes up when you enter Lindblum, but no other graphics were changed -- mainly that map in all the places it appears.

It's most notable like two seconds in and dead centre of the opening cinematic:

YouTube Video
JBedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Flare (05/12/2017), Jason Tandro (05/12/2017), Shademp (05/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/12/2017)
Old 05/12/2017   #165
Jason Tandro

Flintlock wrote: I know buddy. I was just pointing out that it's far from the only dumb system in the Final Fantasy series. And Trance makes a lot more sense story-wise than most of them.
In the Lore it's based on a burst of emotional energy caused specifically by hostility and triggered by other intense emotions such as grief, anger or despair.

THAT TRICK SPARROW ON ITS LAST LIFE PECKED MY CHEEK FOR 10 DAMAGE OH MY GOD MY LIFE IS FUCKING OVER!!!!!

*CUES NEVER ALONE.

I don't care if a gameplay mechanic makes sense in the story lore, is it fun to play as? Yes, 8's insanely spammable Limit Breaks are a poor design choice too but at least being near death and them triggering as a Desperation Move carries a relatively decent Risk / Reward ratio. (Edit: Or you can use Aura because FF8 is more broken than your mum's heart everytime you forget to call her.)

Furthermore - FF7 and FF8 unlock Super Moves. FF9 only gives that ability to Zidane and everybody else just gets a Stat Boost and can sometimes use multiple attacks. It's less Super Saiyan and More Kaio-Ken.

(Edit: And I'm fine with that, but again that means being able to keep it should be even more important).
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/12/2017)