The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Archive > TLS Archive > Random History

Random History Random old stuff that wasn't good enough for the top level of the archive.

View Poll Results: The one he lives with or the dead one?
Living 96 88.89%
Dead 12 11.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02/24/2010   #5056
Isabella
Default

I don't have to much to add about KH because I didn't play more than 3 hours of it before I got annoyed. But I have seen the credits thing on YouTube and damn, could Cloud look any less enthused to see her? Could he at least look at her? Why is he so sullen if he's been reunited with his "light," the woman he's supposedly been looking for?
Isabella is offline  
Thanked by 12:
Chloe Frazer (02/24/2010), Eerie (02/24/2010), Elisa Maza (01/08/2011), Fairheartstrife (02/24/2010), Madame Mayor (02/24/2010), OneWingedDemon (02/24/2010), Rubicon (02/25/2010), Strangelove (02/24/2010), T@ctic (06/17/2018), The Man (02/24/2010), Tifaeria (02/27/2010), Winter (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5057
Dashell
Default

He looks enraptured dammit

A good friend? A big sister? A comrade in arms?
Ryu, those are just her character traits
Dashell is offline  
Thanked by:
The Man (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5058
The Twilight Mexican
Default

Like Vines wrote: Haha, good job failing at picking up on SE's anvil sized hints.

Seriously, Cloud rescues Aerith in FFT, which while not necessarily OVERTLY ROMANTIC is generally adorable and he's fixated on her because she reminds him of the Aerith he knew.
I agree that it's adorable. Not necessarily romantic, but adorable.

It didn't make me think of the pairing and go "aww," but it did make me look at Cloud and go "aww."

Still, I can accept that in a debate as a nod to the idea by Square -- at least in so far as they know people will take it that way. Hell, it was still 1997 for fuck's sake.

LTD was not over at the time.

LV wrote: SE threw this shit in... why? They could have put anyone in there. They picked Cloud and Aerith. I WONDER WHY
To fuck with us and make us wonder how in the hell that could possibly happen. You can explain Cloud showing up in Ivalice pretty easily.

Falls into Lifestream, gets pulled there by the Celestial Globe. He references the fall into the stream, after all. Why there's an Aerith lookalike who also sells flower and has the same name, though?

Only way you can explain that shit, really, is the same way you do with the recurring summons throughout the FF omniverse, and the way you can explain the parallels between FFII and FFIV -- similar concepts were housed in the original crystal of creation that spawned everything.

Fanwank FTW.

LV wrote: The ending of Kingdom Hearts... I can't even.... okay, why would the writers bother to have him specifically reunited with Aerith during everyone else's ROMANTIC REUNITINGS and shit if they arent' trying to leave a hint for us?
In fairness, like Ryu said, the scene was bookended by a scene at Mickey's castle and then Pinnochio realizing he was a real boy. It was only after that scene that we see Aladdin and Jasmine romantically reunited -- and even then they were the only such couple to be shown.

Quexinos wrote: I think in KH though, Cxt can't happen, because my theory was always that Tifa is Cloud's light manifested. Basically she IS Cloud (same with Seph) so Cloud can't have a relationship with himself
Agreed. If Cloud has a living light in KH, a la Kairi for Sora, then it was Aerith, I think. Thematically, she's the only candidate.

Not that this says shit about the main FFVII universe, of course.

Alpha wrote: Wasn't it "because she is his light you could take it as she's not human but I wanted to leave that up to interpretation"?
She's obviously his inner light manifested. That's the only way to explain what you see on-screen in combination with Sephiroth's comments throughout the game.

Leaute wrote: While I don't recall every one of the clips showcasing strictly romantic couples, I do understand the reason a lot of people think this clip means something. If the clip wasn't meant to showcase that Aerith and Cloud have some kind of unique bond in KH (whether it's romantic or not), what was the point of including it?
No, it was definitely indicating a unique bond between them, whether it be romantic or something else.

LV wrote:
Ryu wrote: Not that it's meaningless, but I think it's more about the fillial, and the reuniting of the whole HB gang than anything else, given it's Cid presenting a Cloud who doesn't really do anything.
Then why focus on only Cloud and Aerith?
Indeed. While the main HB trio are shown in the same shot at first, the framing and blocking of the shot with the reaction to Cid and Cloud showing up calls especial attention to Aerith.

We then see a shot of Cid and Cloud -- and then Cloud alone is framed within the subsequent shot. And then Aerith and Cloud alone in the next.

This is basic cinematic language the same way that a cut to a close-up of Tifa smiling at Cloud at the end of AC/C followed by a cut to him smiling while looking off-screen means that he's looking at her while smiling.

Aerith and Cloud are emphasized in the reunion scene in KH's credits. You can debate as to what it means, but it most certainly means that a bond of some kind between the two is being emphasized.
__________________
Quexinos wrote: I wish I had been there when Cloud realized he had geostigma. I bet he cried.
hito wrote: man i miss flip phones, they were cool and now everything is a boring slab

Last edited by The Twilight Mexican; 02/24/2010 at 04:25 AM.
The Twilight Mexican is offline  
Thanked by 5:
Sunstrider (02/24/2010), T@ctic (06/17/2018), The Man (02/24/2010), Tifaeria (02/27/2010), Winter (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5059
Celes Chere
Default

. I do think that what happens to them and their interaction both in KH and FFT is intentionally romantic.
I don't get how their interactions in either game are romantic. FFT I can kind of see, but it's kind of your interpretation there. As for KH, I just do not see it. I see Aerith as a close friend to Cloud, as I have always seen her. It seems Aerith spends more time with Squall than she does with Cloud anyway, so OMG canon? I mean, she already has Squall whipped.

Aerith even says that Cloud's light will lead him back, so she quite clearly isn't his light nor is she the thing that he has been searching for. She also wasn't refered to as a parallel to AC, but Cloud and Tifa's relationship was. I don't have the quote though, so anyone please be my guest. xD Everyone is saying that you think that them appearing together makes them a couple, and I see why- because that's what they do in KH- appear together. Nothing else. xD

I disagree about Aerith being Cloud's representation of light, however. Aerith was already described as a medium in an interview, and Tifa and Sephy are described as light and darkness. And if Tifa were literally his light, she'd be a part of him, in his heart and soul. She represents a warm feeling he was running from in AC, so I don't see how that's NOT romantic. The way she acts in KH though, doesn't make me think she's a part of Cloud. CloudxCloud would be rather awkward, indeed. When they say that she may not be there, I think that she is a being of light, not necessarily a part of Cloud.

Last edited by Celes Chere; 02/24/2010 at 04:22 AM.
Celes Chere is offline  
Thanked by 8:
Eerie (02/24/2010), Elisa Maza (01/08/2011), Loxetta (02/24/2010), Madame Mayor (02/24/2010), Rubicon (02/25/2010), T@ctic (06/17/2018), The Man (02/24/2010), Tifaeria (02/27/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5060
Loxetta
Default

As open as I am to Clerith and possibilities with it, I really don't understand why one would think their interactions in KH/2 are romantic, at all. In the first game, they're by eachother for an awkward, albeit sweet, handful of seconds, and in the second game there wasn't any romantic overtones in their conversation, it all felt very platonic-I'm-worried-about-you, imo. I see them being good friends and close and all that, but hell, I'm able to read more romantic subtext between Aerith and Leon than I can with her and Cloud.

I have trouble envisioning KH!Cloud with anyone, in fact. He's too obsessed with his darkness bullshit to be in any kind of relationship, except maybe a love-hate one with Sephiroth
Loxetta is offline  
Thanked by 3:
Fairheartstrife (02/24/2010), Rubicon (02/25/2010), The Man (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5061
DrakeClawfang
Default

Isabella wrote: Why is he so sullen?
It's Cloud?
__________________
The light I hold within my breast, never once has it flickered or faded...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This I swear: I shall do my utmost to protect you until the very end.
DrakeClawfang is offline  
Thanked by 8:
Alessa Gillespie (02/24/2010), Chloe Frazer (02/24/2010), Elisa Maza (01/08/2011), Loxetta (02/24/2010), Strangelove (02/24/2010), The Man (02/24/2010), The Twilight Mexican (02/24/2010), Tifaeria (02/27/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5062
Dashell
Default

I have trouble envisioning KH!Cloud with anyone, in fact. He's too obsessed with his darkness bullshit to be in any kind of relationship, except maybe a love-hate one with Sephiroth
I love you now
Dashell is offline  
Thanked by:
Loxetta (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5063
Madame Mayor
Default

She's obviously his inner light manifested. That's the only way to explain what you see on-screen in combination with Sephiroth's comments throughout the game.
All I was pointing out is that the quote about whether or not she's human wasn't a definite answer, it was a "you can think about it this way because we left it open".

For now, I completely agree with you that it seems to be the logical conclusion. However, I don't want to get too attached to the idea until they actually reveal whether or not she's actually a real person.
Madame Mayor is offline  
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5064
Isabella
Default

DrakeClawfang wrote: It's Cloud?
I was just firing back a common Clerithism, silly. I get tired of seeing, "if he loves Tifa, why doesn't he run to her and embrace her in the AC credits? Why does he get silent instead of whispering sweet nothings in her ear in the HW scene?" etc etc

I KNOW it's Cloud, and I know that's the way he always is. I just chuckle at the double standards is all.
Isabella is offline  
Thanked by 12:
Chloe Frazer (02/24/2010), Eerie (02/24/2010), Elisa Maza (01/08/2011), Fairheartstrife (02/24/2010), looneymoon (02/24/2010), Rubicon (02/25/2010), Strangelove (02/24/2010), Sunstrider (02/24/2010), T@ctic (06/17/2018), The Man (02/24/2010), Tifaeria (02/27/2010), Winter (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5065
The Twilight Mexican
Default

Yusei wrote: Aerith even says that Cloud's light will lead him back, so she quite clearly isn't his light nor is she the thing that he has been searching for.
Depends on whether she's talking about his external light or inner light. I think she was talking about the latter.

As for what he was searching for, Sora and Cloud's first conversation does imply that he has searched for his light as well:

Cloud: Iím looking for someone. Hades promised to help. I tried to exploit the power of darkness, but it backfired. I fell into darkness, and couldnít find the light.

Sora: Youíll find it. Iím searching, too.

Cloud: For your light? Donít lose sight of it.
Cloud could certainly have been looking for both his light and Sephiroth, the same as Sora searched for Kairi (his light) and Riku.

And, really, within the first KH, who else is a candidate to be Cloud's light? We know he wasn't looking for Tifa, because he was running from her in KHII.

That's another reason why I think she represents his inner light and not an external one.

Yusei wrote: She also wasn't refered to as a parallel to AC, but Cloud and Tifa's relationship was.
True that. It's certainly a comment on Cloud in AC/C, though I don't think it says anything about Tifa's nature in KH.

Yusei wrote: I don't have the quote though, so anyone please be my guest.
Nojima in the KH II Ultimania (http://www.kh2.co.uk/?page=NI/KH2U):

"Tifa wasn't planned to appear at first. I was talking with Tetsu about what
Cloud could be doing in Hallow Bastion, and we eventually moved towards him
chasing after Sephiroth, but also being chased by something himself. So
Cloud's really running from something but goes around pretending, saying that
he's chasing Sephiroth. Then we decided to make it him running from the
'something warm' like what Tifa was after in AC."

Yusei wrote: I disagree about Aerith being Cloud's representation of light, however. Aerith was already described as a medium in an interview, and Tifa and Sephy are described as light and darkness.
I don't think a person has to necessarily be more oriented toward the light or darkness to be another person's light.

That's not really an area of the KH metaphysics we've seen delved into -- but, to me, it just doesn't sound like something that would be necessary.

Yusei wrote: And if Tifa were literally his light, she'd be a part of him, in his heart and soul. She represents a warm feeling he was running from in AC, so I don't see how that's NOT romantic.
Its commentary on AC/C could be, but within KH it doesn't have to be. It can merely refer to him running from being balanced, comfortable, strong, etc. or be an example of thinking he doesn't belong in the light.

Yusei wrote: When they say that she may not be there, I think that she is a being of light, not necessarily a part of Cloud.
Why would a random embodiment of light show up to help Cloud and know so much about him?
__________________
Quexinos wrote: I wish I had been there when Cloud realized he had geostigma. I bet he cried.
hito wrote: man i miss flip phones, they were cool and now everything is a boring slab
The Twilight Mexican is offline  
Thanked by 2:
Celes Chere (02/24/2010), Sunstrider (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5066
Winter
Default

Isabella wrote: I KNOW it's Cloud, and I know that's the way he always is. I just chuckle at the double standards is all.
It's okay Isabella, I saw what you did there.

In the same sense, it's possible for Cloud to leave Aerith in Hollow Bastion unceremoniously and still care for her a lot.

He's just not good with people.

also just because I really, really love it, can somebody fetch me the quote about Aerith being both light and dark?

p.s. I will find those youtube clips soon I swear, I AM SO EASILY DISTRACTED
__________________

Cause even though you got all these highfalutin morals and fancy reserv8tions, you know as well as me that a killer is a killer is a killer!
Winter is offline  
Thanked by 3:
Alessa Gillespie (02/24/2010), Sunstrider (02/24/2010), The Twilight Mexican (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5067
Celes Chere
Default

Depends on whether she's talking about his external light or inner light. I think she was talking about the latter.
Well, consider this when you think about Tifa being Cloud's inner light. It could be that Tifa was the one that helped him FIND his inner light, not necessarily that she literally is his inner light. She could be a being of light, that helped him find his light. X_X That sounds dumb, doesn't it? XD I always had the idea in my head when it comes to KH, that Cloud and Tifa were together, and then he started to run from her. Kind of like in AC, they lived together and then he left. (Of course I thought that after playing KH2)

And, really, within the first KH, who else is a candidate to be Cloud's light?
Not Aerith, because he's still searching by the time KH2 comes around. O__o'

I don't think a person has to necessarily be more oriented toward the light or darkness to be another person's light.
Well, I suppose that is true.. ^^;
Celes Chere is offline  
Old 02/24/2010   #5068
Sunstrider
Default

Not Aerith, because he's still searching by the time KH2 comes around. O__o'
Does Cloud ever say he's searching for his light still in KH2? I assumed he was running from it if anything, as Tres said because he thinks he doesn't belong in it. What he was actively looking for was Sephiroth and not so much his light. What he needs and what he's looking for aren't necessarily the same thing. Look at AC. What he needs is the support and love of the people who love him most. What he's looking for is forgiveness from people who never blamed him in the first place. I know KH and FFVII aren't the same universes, but the characters seem to carry similar themes.

Honestly, I think Cloud's light as it were is a lot of things put together rather than one girl or the other. And oh yes. New avatar is relevant.
__________________


Sunstrider is offline  
Thanked by 3:
The Man (02/24/2010), The Twilight Mexican (02/24/2010), Winter (02/24/2010)
Old 02/24/2010   #5069
Celes Chere
Default

But Aerith says "Your light will lead you back here". What exactly does that mean to you guys? //curious//
Celes Chere is offline  
Old 02/24/2010   #5070
Dashell
Default

OT

I always loved the "Cloud runs away from Tifa in KH2 so he hates her" argument.
Dashell is offline  
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/24/2010)
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.