The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 11/20/2010   #46
Dana Scully

(SPOILER)
Femshep wrote: I'm severly overtired and I'm sure this will sound nerdy, but this movie made me really sad on a lot of levels. I've read Harry Potter throughout the entire arc of my childhood, and I really sort of grew up with the cast. I remember reading the beginning of the series when I was in grade school, and reading the final one my last year of high school. It made me cry when I finished the last one because I felt like I'd grown up, I'm an adult now. When Harry Potter ended it ended probably the best phase of my life. Seeing the final movie (especially when my life is so incredibly different than it was when I saw the first movie) really struck a chord with me. The incredible sadness of the story only made it more intense.
Oh god, this. This is something I think a lot of older adults don't appreciate (ie, my mother). I really just don't have the words to properly explain how much a part those books played in my life growing up.

That being said there are a few things that I missed in the movie. I'm really, really sad they left out the statue of James and Lily.
THIS TOO. I got all excited when they came up the house, and I was just waiting on the edge of my seat for the statue to appear and it never did and I was all like fuuuu but promptly forgot because a few minutes later Bathilda's face was disintegrating ._.

Dana Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (11/22/2010)
Old 11/20/2010   #47
Xpelair

I watched it yesterday night with my uncle. It was AWESOME.

(SPOILER)

Xpelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Celes Chere (11/21/2010), Dana Scully (11/20/2010)
Old 11/20/2010   #48
null

Ok sorry, I don't know what movie you all saw, but I was disappointed. This was just as big a letdown as the last two IMO. What the hell was up with

(SPOILER)

SIKE

I loved it!

- My favorite scene hands down was the animated Three Brothers tale. Kick. Fucking. Ass. That was an unexpected treat and absolutely fantastic.

- Emma Watson stole the show. She was brilliant, she looked great, she breathed life into every scene she was in and, like always, she did it without overacting. I mean, who else could sell giving Harry a haircut as something to get intensely jealous over? Outstanding.

- For some reason, Ron standing outside the Burrow gave me chills. I was like whoa, it's fucking Ron standing around being awesome, like in the books. Then his mommy called him to dinner and ruined it. Thanks Molly.

- I wish the Dursley's leaving was more elaborate. It was a great scene in the book and gave some closure to Harry's relationship with them. He could have at least shook Dudley's hand.

- On the other hand, the polyjuice scene was even better than the book. Goblin piss

- Was it just me, or did it seem like this movie had the best comic relief of them all? Best part: Harry fucking around with Hermoine's little flame jar and damn near blasting the roof off.

- The Malfoy Manor scene did not disappoint. I wish the movie had opened with that the way the book did. No biggie, I just thought it was a more dramatic opener. Charity Burbage's postmortem tear really made the scene.

- Oh, and I guess it's not Voldemort's style to wave a blingy wand around, but he wrecked the coolest fucking wand out there! What the fuck man?? Oh well, still another great touch.

- Ginny asking Harry to zip up her dress was the first believable chemistry between the two characters onscreen, and the first scene to do the couple justice. They should have run with it.

- Even split in two, this story leaves out possibly the most book information out of all the movies to date. This is not a bad thing, as they were very tasteful in selecting the important points to convey. But some of the points I found most interesting were sacrificed, like the picture of the Mauraders in Sirius' room, Lily's torn letter, Harry visiting his house...

- Did they lose the fucking prop for the invisibility cloak or what?

- I'm glad they worked in more screen time for Dobby. It would have sucked if he showed up just long enough to get killed.

- OMG. Back away from the test tubes, the chemistry is about to explode. They went so far overboard with the chemistry between Harry and Hermoine, that dance was probably more romantic than a narrowly averted kiss. NO, THAT SAD LOOK AT THE END DID NOT MAKE IT OK, YOU ALL LOVED IT, HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHIPPER SHAME. And "Merry Christmas, Harry" with her head on his shoulder... seriously, ever heard the phrase "emotional cheating"? And anyone else notice how Harry was ONLY watching Snape on the Map instead of obsessing over Ginny like in the book? Or that they skipped the part where Harry comforts Ron and compares Hermoine to a sister? They were supposed to be fucking miserable and barely speaking after Ron left, instead it was like they were struggling to stay in separate sleeping bags!

- Agree with the sentiment that they cut a lot out of Harry and Ron's falling back in. That should have been a Jerry Maguire-esque male bonding moment. And Harry was supposed to defend Ron a lot more vigorously to Hermoine. I suppose that would have soiled their shipper goggles.

- The scene where Ron destroyed the Horcrux was fucking cool though. My favorite scene right after the animation. Go Ron!

- Helena Bonham Carter. What can I say... bravo. Finally came off as more evil than sexy. (Although the sexiness is nice.)

- BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL. Apparently Voldemort HAS THE POWEEEEEEEEER. Wtf.

- Actually, I didn't think the movie was going to end there. I thought it would have ended on a cliffhanger when the trio gets kidnapped.

- And much more, but later, typing sucks...
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Celes Chere (11/21/2010), Dana Scully (11/21/2010), looneymoon (11/21/2010), X-SOLDIER (11/22/2010), Xpelair (11/21/2010)
Old 11/21/2010   #49
Xpelair

Ok sorry, I don't know what movie you all saw, but I was disappointed. This was just as big a letdown as the last two IMO. What the hell was up with

Nearly had a heart attack after reading that geez.

But then I knew none could resist the pure awesome epicness of it all.

Xpelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2010   #50
null

Xpelair wrote: Nearly had a heart attack after reading that geez.

But then I knew none could resist the pure awesome epicness of it all.
It wouldn't have been so fucking full of fail if (SPOILER) quit blowing my cover I'm messing with the spoilerphobes

There are none so blind as those who will not see spoilers...
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2010   #51
Charles Xavier

I hope Chester A. Bum makes a review on this movie soon. Love to hear what he has to say.
Old 11/21/2010   #52
Celes Chere

was I the only one Who thought that dancing scene was cute? ;-;

also "I think we should close his eyes..."

Last edited by Celes Chere; 11/21/2010 at 10:08 PM.
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (11/22/2010)
Old 11/21/2010   #53
Isabella

Uh, guys, how emotional is (SPOILER) Dobby's death? Because I have to have my 16-year-old kitty put to sleep tonight and I'm seeing this tomorrow. Will I be a wreck?
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010   #54
Celes Chere

Aww, I'm so sorry about that Isa. D: *many hugs*
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010   #55
looneymoon

Rin Tohsaka wrote: was I the only one Who thought that dancing scene was cute? ;-;
That was my 2nd favourite part (SPOILER) after the Tale of the Three Brothers. I really loved the song they played for that part hnnnngh.

Isabella wrote: Uh, guys, how emotional is (SPOILER) Dobby's death? Because I have to have my 16-year-old kitty put to sleep tonight and I'm seeing this tomorrow. Will I be a wreck?
(SPOILER) I'm really sorry about your cat *hugs*

Had I not already cried myself dry at Godric's Hollow, I probably would have been a total wreck at that part myself.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010   #56
Sheva Alomar

For you crazy Harry Potter people that argue about the books being turned into films:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...Film-Franchise
Old 11/22/2010   #57
X-SOLDIER

So, I finally got round to seeing this.

In going in there's some things I should probably make known. I vaguely recall reading the first four books AGES ago, and I've seen, films 1, 3, 4, 6, and now 7. So my Harry Potter knowledge isn't the best, but I still managed to get quite hooked, and grasp what was going on. My lady is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, but moved when the last book was released, and never got around to getting a copy. When the film trailers came out, she held off of reading the last book, so that she'd have the chance to enjoy ONE Harry Potter film without nit picking about details, and she's going to pick it up this week, and read through it before seeing Part 2.

The one part that I was slightly dissapointed by was (SPOILER) No dragon that they showed in the trailer. I'll have to wait for the next film.

Aside from that,

(SPOILER) - Disguised Potter blasting Umbridge in the face was excellent. "YOU SHOULDN'T TELL LIES!" The whole section with them in the Ministry of Magic was just fantastic, with it's Nazi Muggle propaganda feel very much setting the tone for the Wizarding world going very, VERY dark. I think because of that Ron being confused / snarky. "It's still raining in my office." "Have you tried an umbrella?" helped keep the tensions interesting, especially because you see him get some SERIOUS damage on their escape.

- The opened Horcrux that Ron had to fight looked AMAZING, (though if they'd stuck to spiders, I'm not sure if he'd have been as full of rage to overcome his fear. ) The chemistry that they built was just enough to make everything believable and sell the tension and emotions of the characters.

- Like everyone else, I REALLY enjoyed the Three Brother's animation.

- Evanna Lynch's portrayl of Luna never ceases to make me smile. Her ability to completely pull off the "speaking what everyone's thinking, but no one can say, with JUST the right amount of awkwardness to make it ok" always gets me. Her poor dad though... Of everyone in the film, I think that he's the one who you see take the most emotional damage, even though his part is very small, it hits home really what's going on in the Wizarding world.

- Aside from Ron's moments, George's toothbrush in the ear, Neville on the train, and Harry with the fire, were my favorite comedic moments.

- Dobby:
Epic.
/gutted.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Celes Chere (11/22/2010), looneymoon (11/22/2010)
Old 11/22/2010   #58
Ryushikaze

Isabella wrote: I want to see this SO BAD but I won't be able to until next week. I keep reading from Potter fans that this one was the Best One Ever, but people who are casual fans/never read the books are getting confused?

On the shipper thing: I'm really not one, but a Harry/Hermione relationship is the only one that ever made any sense to me. I'll never get Ron/Hermione. They make no damn sense together.
That's mostly because Ron got changed into the 'comic idiot' as the series progressed as 'hampered by hand me downs' encroached on his whole character.
The signs of the Official Pairings were rather obvious from the first book, and those remained even though the characterizations for the people involved in those pairings went weird.
Narratively, the gong of the official pairings is rung often, just poorly, so that the Harry Gong sounds like it's chiming more with the Hermione Gong, even though both are supposed to chime better with completely different ones.
If that rather awkward metaphor makes sense.
Old 11/22/2010   #59
Bex

Does anyone else ship Bellatrix x Hermione now?
i know i do

Also, idk why i almost cried at (SPOILER) Dobby's death.
I fucking hate Dobby.
Old 11/22/2010   #60
looneymoon

Liara wrote: Does anyone else ship Bellatrix x Hermione now?
i know i do
;____;

Also, idk why i almost cried at (SPOILER) Dobby's death.
I fucking hate Dobby.
This, so much.

DID ANYONE NOTICE HOW THEY CHANGED HIS ANIMATION/VOICE TO MAKE HIM CUTER?

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Celes Chere (11/22/2010)