So, social groups and whatnot

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
http://forums.thelifestream.net/group.php is a relatively new (well, it was back in the old days, :monster: ) feature that basically allows you lot to have clubs and picture albums. Back when it was just introduced, it was a single-threaded-like discussion, but they've made it act more like a regular forum in later versions.

What's your take on using those instead of the clubs section? Right now, it's pretty much completely separate from the forums, but I could look out for a plugin that adds additional integration between social groups and the regular forums (stuff like the New Posts and possibly a 'latest active groups' thingy on the forums' front page).

But that depends on whether you want to use that. The group-based album would be a neat feature for some of you fangirls, and since we have unlimited bandwidth (according to the ads), it shouldn't matter in terms of usage of that either.

A

Great Old One
Very nice. I'd participate, for sure.

EDIT: We seem to have one already... one for the Cookie Monster? :monster:

Last edited:

A

Great Old One
Now three. Growing already? :3

Cookie Monster is epic. Moar people must join. And um, Cloti.

A

Great Old One
Lol, we're talking all over the place about this. I'm just going to reply from usernotes now. :3

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Sounds cool. :)

So Yop, is there a way to have co-leaders or what not for the social groups?

A

Great Old One
Now my curiosity has been piqued. *goes to look*
Your interest... will certainly be piqued. :3

WTF? I don't understand this business. :(
It's a social group -> where you can talk about a certain thing. For example, Cloti (which, is there by the way. :3). You have threads you can start and reply too.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sounds cool. :)

So Yop, is there a way to have co-leaders or what not for the social groups?

Dunno, I should check, :monster:. At the very least, I should be on the lookout for plugins / addons that provide more integration with the forums themselves. I see that there's already an overview of the groups you're in on a profile btw.

Also, Cookie Monster is win, but the Call of Cthulhu owns all. And FSM-ism.

But on that, what's the policy on social groups - do we do a free for all (as long as they conform to forum rules and whatnot), or limit to Cthulhu-approved ones only?

Edit: For admnistrative purposes, I added a few Social Group categories for subdividing groups. So far, I have a FF category, a FF Pairing category, and a general one, any more that should be added right now?

Second, I wasn't able to find any options that allow more than one owner of a group. Maybe that can be added with a plugin, but I'd have to take some time to look through plugins for that first.

There's a bunch of options that can be set for groups though, here's a few interesting ones - what do you think these should be set to?

* Allow Join-to-View Groups. Basically, this setting will allow an owner / creator of a group that can only be viewed when a member joins.

* Allow Groups Owners to Force New Group Messages into Moderation Queue. This setting will allow owners to force new posts to be put in the moderation queue, awaiting moderator approval of posts. This might be useful for groups with touchy subjects, but I'd say it's better if such groups were to be avoided in general.

* Allow Group Owners to Limit New Discussions to Themselves. This is basically where a group's owner is the only one that can start new discussions. Would be a neat feature for very specific groups, imho.

* I activated all BBcode, for some reason, stuff like quote tags were off.

What do you lot think of the above options?

Top Bottom