SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
And she is telling herself not to fall in love to then go "I wonder what kind of like this is"it feels just so....lacking? What happened to warning yourself to fall in love when now you're not even sure it's a crush, girl. It does feel wishy washy. And It doesn't feel like it's worth it to make that an entire character arc either. So I do want to see how pt. 3 adresses that if they even address it.

Don't forget Remake Aerith =/= Rebirth Aerith.

I'm still waiting to see in part III if it was really interesting to erase her memory or if it was just a poor setup to allow Aerith to live her adventure a little naively and without any consideration of the planet's will. A sort of "go girl enjoy your journey and your youth" kind of things.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
It just feels like less conviction than the novel straight out saying "for she had loved him and koibito does mean she saw him romantically. It wasn't any question about that. It had full conviction. Now we have "I wonder what kind of like this is" in JP and "there's a difference between liking and liking." Slightly better in EN but still feels wishy washy. It's not that it's unclear or left hanging as I basically said it closes the door for her to even go further.
I tend to think this Aerith is COLW Aerith exactly because of this quote tbh; my theory on this place is that it's COLW!Aerith dreams and hope world, her Promise Land. She dreams that she can meet Cloud again and so, that happens because it is her PL. However in the church scene, she realises that her feelings may not be that deep. Also did she die against Sephiroth or teleport? We don't know but if we go by all the worlds being destroyed then she probably did die (or join consciousness with our Aerith when she died).
Comes in Zack falling in the last church - which is NOT Remake's church as it has benches: it's CC's church, and Zack falls inside of it. I believe it's "our" Aerith's PL, because this is where she got her sweetest memories, because this place is the place where she and Zack spent time and have lots of memories together. She still has a little progress to make before she can step in her own PL, but I think we'll see it and we'll see her reunion with Zack.
So basically Aerith has to go through Cloud to find Zack again.
I just think it's for story telling reasons and when Zack is back in the picture for Part III, her decision and understandement will be clear for all the poeple involved.

We'll see.
Yes, to me the church scene is the setting for the ZA reunion; it can only happen when she understands that her feelings for Cloud are different than those she still has for Zack. She has to recontextualise what happens.
Also, this thread about Cloud's answer is super interesting:
I think they are true in what they say when they claim they want Part 3 to end with without “unresolved feelings.”
Yes it was obvious in Remake, even way more so in Rebirth and p3 will be the definitive version.
They are basically on a warpath and are putting everyone on notice. I'm here for it. Raze this blasted LTD to the ground.
I always thought so since Remake where Nojima stated that little would be left to imagination. It was him warning everyone that he'd be out killing bad theories, may they be about the LT or about the rest of the game.
What happened to warning yourself to not fall in love when now you're not even sure if it's a crush, girl
She forgot about it tbh so I don't hold it against her. It wasn't even her in the first place since it was a dead Aerith... but yes it's the warning that even her feelings are an illusion. I've said it quite a few times now but both girls see the guy they love in Cloud: Aerith sees Zack because of the illusion, Tifa sees Cloud through the illusion.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Out of topic but a new cute Tifa & Cloud moment just dropped with the gacha event in WOTV

1713887223260.jpeg

In order to save their friends, Cloud and Tifa set off on their beloved Fenrir.
Kadaj, an entity that seeks revenge against the planet, summons a large number of demons to attack the citizens of Midgar in search of Jenova's head.
Cloud's friends rush to his rescue, but they find no chance against a powerful enemy.
Memories of battles of the past, when great sacrifices were made, have robbed Cloud of the enthusiasm to face new battles.
But Tifa sensed from the warmth of his back that the hero who once saved the planet was regaining his fighting spirit.​

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Afterwards I butted heads with that specific Tifa anti again in other YTthreads. They were just kind of everywhere. And then they hopped on twitter "to warn other CAs about me" as clearly I was a Cloti in disguise and not someone with a different view or anything. Anyway I saw it because duh, I'm a CA and I made the mistake of confronting them about lying about me and got chainblocked by like half the CAfandom at that time because they accused me of stalking their account. Fun times lol. People STILL think I'm a Cloti because of that user who I don't even think is in the fandom anymore but thanks a lot lol.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway in the end I found out the person who started the YouTube thread saying Cloud hates Tifa was literally a 12 year old kid and they were quoting from anti Tifa blogs. They apologized to me and I apologized for getting heated at a child who until that point I thought was just another Tifa anti. I remember they said they liked my blog which I had linked with Ultimania quotes. And they apparently liked CT now and were thanking me for informing them Cloud doesn't hate Tifa and their sources were bad. Or so that was their last comment to me.
That person got one hell of a character development arc. Now if only everyone could get one then we wouldn't need to have these pointless "wars" anymore.

Gotta also love that everyone who disagrees with anything is Cloti by default, as if there only existed Clotis and Cleriths and nothing else. You reminded me of a certain Jessie enjoyer who blames anyone who disagrees with their view that Jessie should be more than a side character and that they should get as important of a role as Tifa and Aerith does a rabid Cloti.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
That person got one hell of a character development arc. Now if only everyone could get one then we wouldn't need to have these pointless "wars" anymore.

Gotta also love that everyone who disagrees with anything is Cloti by default, as if there only existed Clotis and Cleriths and nothing else. You reminded me of a certain Jessie enjoyer who blames anyone who disagrees with their view that Jessie should be more than a side character and that they should get as important of a role as Tifa and Aerith does a rabid Cloti.
That’s tribalism for you.

“You’re either with me or against me.”

Other notable examples include but are not limited to.

“Everyone has their own interpretation…” but then they’ll be adamant that Aerith is still the real love interest.

“The player gets to decide” but then the kiss is not canon.

Etc Etc.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I totally get it LunarTarotGirl, I personally find such a story unsatisfying as well, to find she didn't even have a crush just makes the whole thing seem so pointless especially if we don't get to see Aerith the woman fall in love with Zack the man, afterall the quote that said they didn't have time to show them properly so they made it like a sudden young love or something, we're not going to get to see them fully explore or fall in love as adults, which is why I guess I might end up ... shipless xD

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I think I tend to agree, I think all players have a pretty strong stance about the LTD but a lot of them either don't want to admit or just don't want to put it out there because they don't want to argue with people.

Even those that say "it's optional" or "it's a very minor part" probably do still lean quite heavily in one direction. Whether they are leaning in that direction because preference or because there is evidence of canonicity matters little.

I think this is why a lot of them try to avoid the LTD. Because it consists of either grasping at straws in order to change the other side's mind or talking to a wall that will never change their mind out of sheer stubbornness, regardless of evidence.
I believe the "its not a romance game" people are just intimidated by the LTD, they want nothing to do with it so they convince themselves it doesn't matter. But I find this completely delusional and I think that without recognizing the LTD you really can't talk about the game in any meaningful way. I notice this when I watch stuff like Maximillian dood, night sky prince, Sleepezi, and others having a conversation about theories concerning Remake part 3.

It's all about mechanics and "what is happening" when that approach is completely impotent if you don't first address the underlying "why". What themes are being addressed here? What life lessons are being taught here, what human experience are they trying to have us experience?
Cloud is our main character, it is mainly through his journey that we learn whatever it is that the games story can teach us, and if you don't first recognize Clouds emotional state and how these events intersect with that then you have no basis for saying what will happen, because without the "why" there is no point, they are just events happening in order without a greater picture being sketched. So yeah, it's great that they're talking about how maybe Sephiroth will convince Cloud that he killed Aerith, but without the underlying understanding that Cloud has to accept loss and how that's related to Nibelheim and Tifa and failure and all those things then you can't tell if this take is in any way likely.
Because the themes dictate the events, because the events are happening in order to tell us a story, the events themselves aren't the story, Clouds experience is the story, and that's contingent on who he is and what he is feeling and why.

I really don’t understand it. I really don’t.

Tifa and Cloud are made to kiss, means nothing…

Aerith herself realizes she can’t say she likes Cloud, means nothing…

Cloud reciprocates nothing when she expresses her feelings, means nothing…

I don’t understand it.

I already know if UTH happens to full intensity, it will also mean nothing. It is just for us horny westerners.

I wanna make a timeline showing the period where Cleriths talked about the GS date like it was the most important thing ever, then the moment Tifa was kissed, and then the following period where SUDDENLY the golden saucer is a meaningless optional thing made for fan-service XD

Well my friends that don't care really don't have a detailed opinion. They like one girl or the other but I don't think they care which is canon. And if you ask them they find the topic either silly or boring and wouldn't talk at length honestly.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I just asked my husband and here is what I got:

He thinks it is ridiculous that there's any debates because the game to him is more about "ecoterrorism to save the Planet and fighting a villain than romance," and he says Tifa is obvious anyway as the childhood friend ending up with the hero as the romance story part.
But on the subject of romance in the plot he still doesn't see romance as the most important topic or even the driving force of the story overall, his words.

He didn't talk in too much detail beyond that other than:

what he likes about Tifa as a character and thinks she's good with Cloud. He also thinks Aerith and Zack are "made for eachother" and Aerith is dead anyway so there is no real reason to ship her with Cloud so why even debate that, his words. He plain doesn't see her as an option. He goes with what is there and what is canon, his words.

Then he got bored and we talked about an anime he really likes when I asked him what he thought about shipping in general.

And that's the longest I ever got him to entertain this topic like five minutes? lol. And he is way more interested in my thoughts on the anime he does like than LTD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: because according to him talking about the LTD stuff with the two girls is "too messy" and with too much will they won't they back and forth in terms of the romance. Both girls having feelings with Aerith liking Cloud but also cheering on CT and liking Zack reminds him of drama in shows he used to watch. He doesn't like that, he likes things more clear and straightforward. His words. End conversation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried lol. He is just not impressed with this topic.

So that's that on that.

I do think there really are people that genuinely don't care but as in they aren't interested or invested in the topic. Like my husband here. I had to ask multiple questions to get these answers.

That's what I mean about "don't care". They just aren't as "into it" I guess.

Edit: I went back and asked him to clarify because his first response was so brief.
I don't get this. "I don't care" isn't an answer to "what do you think". I didn't ask you if you cared. I can still take a position even on things I don't care about. Anyway, WHICH ANIME!?

Always huh? I guess as a Clerith I have to hate Tifa by default then. No choice
I've got my eyes on you View attachment 1713888061990.png
And as I mentioned I do definitely think the LTD from the inside looks much worse than it is, but from the outside the general audience just goes with whatever they see on screen. And CT and ZA have been a lot more pushed recently so more people do accept it. You also just have these outside audience go with whatever they see of the character so they generally like them and are not mischaractizing them.

The Cleriths actually think (or pretend to think) that rebirth is pushing Clerith more, I just don't get how anyone could look at the game and come away with that opinion.

Does anyone here think it could be both girls in the romantic sense
As in "both girls love him" or "he loves both girls"?
Based on Rebirth I genuinely no longer believe either tbh.
I've thought about what the best way to tell this story is, what would be best to maximize emotional impact as well as really impress the themes of the story, and I can imagine making a version of this story where Cloud GENUINELLY fell in love with Aerith. You'd still be able to make it so that Zacks influence was essential to that, and that Cloud when he restores himself is fully in love with Tifa, and Aerith with Zack, but this just wouldn't be the way to do it. If that was the plan then it would have been done with genuine passion. You could have Cloud kiss Aerith, you could have Tifa sad about romantically losing Cloud as well as mentally. But none of that stuff happened. Instead it's awkward as all hell as if to rub in the idea that "this isn't working, these two don't fit".

This is the entire problem with the vagueness of the LTD, It really is the worst of both worlds. I was watching a lets play of FFX today and I was just thinking about "Suteki da ne" and I thought: "you know what, there is no way to write a story with this sort of impact, and have it be ambiguous". You can only have this in 2 situations. ONE is one where both girls are explicitly romantic, but where the passion for Aerith and the pain of losing her is presented as viscerally as possible and where that adds weight to a sutaki da ne style scene where Tifa comforts Cloud and they come together as they bond over the past and their shared losses. And the other is one where there is an obvious reveal that it was always Tifa and they're each others true love, same with Zack and Aerith. The only way to tell "this" story and NOT have it be possible to be visceral, is if the emotions are supposed to be up for interpretation. Vagueness and ambiguity RUINS impact, and because of that I've decided that I absolutely HATE love triangles.

Last edited:

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Yeah I am not saying I see Aerith's feelings as platonic or their relationship as entirely platonic. I see it as that way too as she has a crush which is romantic.

But then I feel they gave themselves an out here.

They now don't further Have to develop Aerith's feelings on this. Because Aerith who now has to focus on her Lifestream stuff anyway be way less inclined to explore these feelings from this point forward if she "know where they stand" and if she isn't sure it's more than that.

There is way less motivation for her to further explore these feelings.

So they now really could just leave it at that tie it up in a little bow and never address it again because of how they set this up. I can't say I like that but it's how I see it.

While I feel with OG Aerith's feelings they left it open but if you read the novel Lifestream White Aerith is sure with no hesitation that she loved Cloud in some way.

Here not so much. It feels like yeah "maybe it could be love but then maybe not, maybe it's just a crush, I wonder which." And I don't like that.
Kinda comes back to what I also said about not being effective with their storytelling. By being "wishy washy" as you called it.
However, I don't think the arc about her exploring her feelings is them being "wishy washy". They're only "wishy washy" if they're not clear about the fact that she's exploring her feelings, and don't give it a proper unambiguous resolution.

I think a story of her slowly falling in love with the dude channeling her ex, without much inner conflict about the realness of that, which is then just ended anyway with her death is probably more unsatisfyingly pointless than one where she does go through all those doubts in life, but then finally finds the answer, and happiness, when the truth is revealed, her doubts are lifted, and she's reunited with the man she'd been searching for all this time.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I notice this when I watch stuff like Maximillian dood, night sky prince, Sleepezi, and others having a conversation about theories concerning Remake part 3.

To be fair, Max was one of the first content creators to talk about Tifa's role and importance in the story. At a time when Cloti wasn't very well represented. So I can understand why he wouldn't want to be harassed during this rather hot period around FF7.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I notice this when I watch stuff like Maximillian dood, night sky prince, Sleepezi, and others having a conversation about theories concerning Remake part 3.
I saw most of that and will spare you from watching it (since it's long): don't bother. The devs' quotes about it not being a sequel? Ignored. A lot of theories mde only to shock people when the Remake trilogy is not built like the OG at all, in its writing style. All the writing alluding to AC/C? Tossed, because AC/C should not exist since Cloud is already going through grief (lol no he isn't). Oh and Tifa can take it, she can accept Cloud who also loves romantically Aerith because I guess she's such a people pleaser person!

Meanwhile when I know that some of them actually supported the mutliple timelines that's been debunked by Nojima (and in game if you pay attention enough): absolutely no one admitted being wrong. They just acted if the timelines are still a thing.

It was so full of BS even my husband who is not a fan of FFVII commented on it.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I actually stay away from a lot of FF YouTubers. I follow some of the smaller ones though.

As the years go by, I find it a lot harder to take Final Fantasy fans seriously (for the general franchise). Perhaps it’s because I feel like I’m jaded now.

For the most part, this forum is the only time I’ve not felt like that.

Perhaps it’s because I feel like I can have a conversation here… whereas everywhere else seems to be “my opinion is fact” with little elaboration. And if you try to get them to elaborate, they accuse you of either being toxic because you actually want to discuss it or they just double down.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I actually stay away from a lot of FF YouTubers. I follow some of the smaller ones though.

As the years go by, I find it a lot harder to take Final Fantasy fans seriously (for the general franchise). Perhaps it’s because I feel like I’m jaded now.

For the most part, this forum is the only time I’ve not felt like that.

Perhaps it’s because I feel like I can have a conversation here… whereas everywhere else seems to be “my opinion is fact” with little elaboration. And if you try to get them to elaborate, they accuse you of either being toxic because you actually want to discuss it or they just double down.
I like to watch Whimsy Psyche's let's play; she's only played Remake before and theorycrafts on what's happening based on only that. The stuff she was able to pull together is absolutely crazy. Now she is an incredible theorycrafter. Here if you want to watch her: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNXSajyEaaSambByZm0cnRd4CjIO-gHHv

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I saw most of that and will spare you from watching it (since it's long): don't bother. The devs' quotes about it not being a sequel? Ignored. A lot of theories mde only to shock people when the Remake trilogy is not built like the OG at all, in its writing style. All the writing alluding to AC/C? Tossed, because AC/C should not exist since Cloud is already going through grief (lol no he isn't). Oh and Tifa can take it, she can accept Cloud who also loves romantically Aerith because I guess she's such a people pleaser person!

Meanwhile when I know that some of them actually supported the mutliple timelines that's been debunked by Nojima (and in game if you pay attention enough): absolutely no one admitted being wrong. They just acted if the timelines are still a thing.

It was so full of BS even my husband who is not a fan of FFVII commented on it.

Sorry to play the fanboy here, but I think you're being a bit hard on Max. As much as I agree with most theory craters who don't question themselves and remain a little anchored in their vision of things, Max is still very chill and the first to say that his own theories have no value. He's just there to have fun and enjoy the ride. FF7 represents only a tiny part of his content (= he doesn't need that to exist, unlike some of the other names mentioned).

Dude doesn't need me to defend him, but it's just that I don't like to mix him with other content creators. His love of FF7 is truly touching, and I really think he shares a passion of his own. Mini rant finished lmao.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Sorry to play the fanboy here, but I think you're being a bit hard on Max. As much as I agree with most theory craters who don't question themselves and remain a little anchored in their vision of things, Max is still very chill and the first to say that his own theories have no value. He's just there to have fun and enjoy the ride. FF7 represents only a tiny part of his content (= he doesn't need that to exist, unlike some of the other names mentioned).

Dude doesn't need me to defend him, but it's just that I don't like to mix him with other content creators. His love of FF7 is truly touching, and I really think he shares a passion of his own. Mini rant finished lmao.
Don't get me wrong: I sometimes watch Max and by himself I think he's fine and catches a lot of details; but here he agreed with most of the nuttiest theories and I'm just calling it as it is: no. It's so weird because he did catch that Zack was in CC's church at the end but he agreed with everyone that he was in "our" world. Like why, how? Sometimes you do get enthralled by possibilities and I think that's what happened, pretty much.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Don't get me wrong: I sometimes watch Max and by himself I think he's fine and catches a lot of details; but here he agreed with most of the nuttiest theories and I'm just calling it as it is: no. It's so weird because he did catch that Zack was in CC's church at the end but he agreed with everyone that he was in "our" world. Like why, how? Sometimes you do get enthralled by possibilities and I think that's what happened, pretty much.

Yeah totally. I think it's just that he doesn't really gives a damn in the end. He's not really a theorycrafter and was just there to have a "big name" in the conversation. Like he said, all the theories are bad because we only have a part of the answers for now.

Let's just say that I'm less angry with him because he's just a global content creator than the so-called experts who are supposed to be immersed in this field and for whom the takes were indeed pretty bad.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Yeah I think it will eventually make more sense. For the record I'm not like upset or saying this to bash the writing. I do see it as set up for the next game.

I am just not impressed with how wishy washy it comes across versus what they had already established as I said as Aerith is not round about she is very forthright. And nothing wrong with a person having unrequited romantic love that they are aware of and accepting that. I would have been all for it. But they as I said gave themselves an out with even her having doubts to the nature of her feelings.

And as MaidenofWar mentioned yeah I know it's not real is part of Cloud's identity crisis and her realizing his connection to Zack but then it doesn't actually feel necessary to have her figure that out for one whole arc. And to imply Cloud could have or she could have romantic feelings but the situation makes it not real because of his identity crisis.And she is telling herself not to fall in love to then go "I wonder what kind of like this is"it feels just so....lacking? What happened to warning yourself to not fall in love when now you're not even sure if it's a crush, girl. It does feel wishy washy. And It doesn't feel like it's worth it to make that an entire character arc either. So I do want to see how pt. 3 adresses that if they even address it.
Its strange; it feels like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, with that scene. It was either a confession or i like you but not romantically. but it feels out of character for Aerith with her last chance to not be able to say her feelings when all the time she's been a very upfront character.
So in the end, all we have are these conclusions
1 It was her admiting she is confused about her feelings and doesnt truly know even after her date and all the time
2 It was a confession and she was just shy but Cloud didn't understand or changed it by derailing the conversation
3 It was a confession and she just made it confusing
4 It was not a confession, but her admitting that theres different kinds of like and its not romantic since she quickly said this.
5 She didnt want to confess since she knew she was dying so made it confusing on purpose

Either way depending on how you view the relationships, its a different answer. Ambigious on purpose to not annoy anyone. However, with this confusion, it now creates more arguments and sorta gives false hope. Whats really weird though is the alternate phrase Cloud can say since its not High affection to trigger it. Seemingly no one actually knows what causes the difference and the end conversation ends the same with Cloud saying your being weird?. Its noticeable worse written than the other scenes its quite jarring. For Aerith's resolution i honestly believe its been retconned i went into Rebirth expecting that plot line and it was not in the main story there was cute moments but nothing that would cause the line " You cant fall in love with me" they might have changed it to avoid any confusion when Tifa stuff happens in part 3 or because of Zack. Or it was a meta line saying the romance isn't actually real even if you think it is.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I wanna make a timeline showing the period where Cleriths talked about the GS date like it was the most important thing ever, then the moment Tifa was kissed, and then the following period where SUDDENLY the golden saucer is a meaningless optional thing made for fan-service XD
Oh I just came across this yesterday. I saw someone mention that certain Cleriths would basically taunt people about the upcoming GS date in which Aerith and Cloud would kiss. They’d also say “the Aerith date is coming” or something?

I just found that wild. Suddenly the GS is meaningless when the other girl got the kiss.

I never want to be a person who speaks too soon lol. I do like the meaningful discussions about the LTD, but I can’t deny the actual Cloti vs Clerith war makes me chuckle sometimes. People are so passionate and ruthless.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
What is the probability of the game starting with playable Tifa? I should specify not the opening of the game but the first person we control whenever we get to the first gameplay section?
I saw a person in Twitter suggest before that the game could open at Junon with Tifa and Barret being caught and the stuff before it would play in a flashback like sequence or such. Not really on board with it, but there it was.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Oh I just came across this yesterday. I saw someone mention that certain Cleriths would basically taunt people about the upcoming GS date in which Aerith and Cloud would kiss. They’d also say “the Aerith date is coming” or something?

I just found that wild. Suddenly the GS is meaningless when the other girl got the kiss.

I never want to be a person who speaks too soon lol. I do like the meaningful discussions about the LTD, but I can’t deny the actual Cloti vs Clerith war makes me chuckle sometimes. People are so passionate and ruthless.
Yeah, it’s the backpedaling that gets me. They were so smug and so confident, then the other girl got the kiss and suddenly… “it’s optional”, “interlocked fingers is actually more romantic in Japan” etc.

We’re probably in for a repeat of this when Part 3 begins marketing.

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
I saw a person in Twitter suggest before that the game could open at Junon with Tifa and Barret being caught and the stuff before it would play in a flashback like sequence or such. Not really on board with it, but there it was.
Theres the prediciton we play as Tifa at the start witnessing the groups version of what Cloud is doing making our way to crater

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

I think they're gonna do the "Zack" thing again. They want us to doubt about where he is. And we'll know only towards the end if it's in the same world as the main party or not.

The real tuto segment will be during a snow storm (this explain why we don't use the Tiny Bronco) while climbing the mountain to reach the crater. A first part only with Cloud. And a latter with the party reunited. Then the crater events happen. End of Chapter 1.

Kinda the same rythm and construction of the Nibel section of Rebirth.

Top Bottom