Forum design

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Re: Forum skin?

That might be the issue, I've also noticed the text is kinda too close to the edge and whatnot, making it a bit trickier to read.

[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=94.msg1649#msg1649 date=1229042418]
I just tried to merge the two threads on the layout as Yop suggested, and it asks for the ID of the target topic to merge with. I posted the link and and name of the other thread, and neither worked. What the hell is the Topic ID?
[/quote]

opps, the topic ID is the figure that identifies the post in the database, i.e. it would've been a number that appears in your address bar, but because there's a url rewrite thingy in place that turns boring links with figures in 'em into links with actual words, you can't actually see it, :monster:. There's a trick in figuring out the thread's id, by pressing the quote button in one of the threads, which results in a quote bb code like

[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=94.msg1649#msg1649 date=1229042418 ]

Where 'topic=94' indicates that this topic's id is 94, fgj.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I only updated some values here and there, wasn't actually as tricky as I thought it would be. The HTML (or, how SMF generates it in its templates) however is a different story, hence I prefer not to mess with that, :monster:.

As for the stuff jumping, it's because I upped the width of the avatar field from 15% to 17% without reducing the size of something else (which I couldn't find at the time), so it's probably easy to fixx.

Also, respond to my query in the previous post about going back to 100% width, fgj.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Merged the topics and moved to the Active Projects section, fgj. :monster:

It also gave me this message:
This function will merge the messages of two topics into one topic. The messages will be sorted according to the time of posting. Therefore the earliest posted message will be the first message of the merged topic.

So, this thread may not make sense anymore, but whatever.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Nothing ever makes sense, so that's nothing different :monster:.

Also, plx copypasta the error message and chuck it in the SMF bugs topic, somewhere in the feedback sexxion.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If this is helpful at all, I only have the "annoying space" when I'm on here in Firefox. In Chrome it looks perfect. I haven't tried IE.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've got Chrome too, pervfection as well. Which is why I didn't notice it, :monster:.

I'll see if I can tick off some boxes on my todo list for the layout (yes, I have a list, in real paper too, :monster: ) tomorrow, and the next two weeks are semi-available as well, 2-week christmas vacation and whatnot. Although school projects still go first, :monster:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There are some other problems, but most of them are relatively small and purely asthetic, for example oversized topic titles and user titles going beyond their boundaries.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Thar, I updated the layout and made a load of small tweaks and fixxes:

• [li]Text appearing under the avatar should be fixxed now, I updated the postarea margin from 16% to 17%. Fixxed it on my local system, should be fixxed for everyone else as well, :monster:.[/li]
    [li]Fixxed long post titles going over post buttons (i.e. quote, modify etc), by adding a margin below the post titles.[/li]
    [li]Fixxed one-word oversized user titles (yes Dacon, that's yours =D) from bleeding out into the post area, by adding an overflow:hidden to the post info div. This also means that other oversized info should become hidden, but I haven't seen an example of this before. This issue didn't come up with multi-word user titles btw, just with very long words.[/li]
    [li]Tweaked the thread option buttons (reply, notify, add poll, etc), removed the ugly border and replaced it with some dots in front of it. I'd add a light separator thingy between each element, but that didn't work properly due to odd html formatting / structuring, I think.[/li]
    [li]Added a simple border to the left and right of the entire central area of the forum, so not everything is stuck to the sides as much.[/li]
    [li]Tweaked the quote area margins and paddings, so that text inside quotes is a bit further away from the sides, and text under quotes gets some extra spacing (i.e. text isn't stuck underneath quote boxes as much anymore).[/li]

There were a few more issues that I have either been unable to reproduce or fixx:

• [li]Balthea (I think) reported there being black text in the reply boxxes, couldn't find or fixx that. I did notice the quick reply box jumps around a lot in Internet Exploder, but we'll just blame that on Microsoft (and the fact I still have IE 6, might be fixxed in 7)[/li]
    [li](imo) too much borders at the bottom of threads, this is tricky to fix since all the elements there are globally defined, and I wasn't able to single some out and give them different border properties. *shrug* oh well.[/li]
    [li]Buttons / imagery, can't be arsed doing all that, I'll have Someone Else bring that issue up, :monster:.[/li]
    [li]New forum banner, the current one is the same as the one on the front page, meaning that there's also some elements in it that were supposed to flow into other elements, such as the menu and whatnot. As with the buttons and icons and whatnot, Someone Else should probably work on that.[/li]

If there's anything else, lemme know and I'll fixx it wicba :monster:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Which avatars then? I know that oversized avatars, at least those from an external source, are compressed to not exceed the max size, could be that they (accidentally) get stretched as well.

Username.

Banned
wow, i just noticed Cthulhu is Yopy from ACF! you were a programmer or something, all that techinical shit, well done on the site btw, black is pretty sexy.

I wanted to ask a quick question, whats that login bar about?? the one bar thats says "write your username and password.....on the same bar?? how the fuck does that work?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It doesn't - they're two seperate boxes, just looking like one (I think, lolz). Type username, press tab, type password, login.

And yar, that's me :monster:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Nothing so far, :monster:. Which either means nobody's donate yet, or it just hasn't come through properly and nobody's bothered to tell me.

Top Bottom