SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Goodness. This whole time I thought Maiden was considered canon. Shows what I know lol! Thanks for the replies! I think I'm ready to fully hope and look forward to the Zerith reunion in Part 3.
It is of dubious canonicity but it seems to always be brought up for some reason. Although I have to say, it always seems to be brought up in LTD conversations.

Also, welcome!

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
This. So many people forget that Aerith never knew the real Cloud. She loved a fantasy. That's the whole point of the LS scene. It was never Cloud all along.

the whole of the original FF7 and its revelations are literally an irony and a play on popular tropes at the times and that is why its so fucking good

It's partly why I feel like trying to make Zack and Aerith important in literally everything FF7 related sucks

I love how in the original FF7 Zack and Aerith are the typical hero and heroine but these ideas are completely spun on their heads. And Cloud is affectionately a loser pretending to be a 'hero', Aerith the 'heroine' is unceremoniously killed off, whilst Tifa the heroine is the one to save the hero at the end of the day so he can save the world

its such an amazing twist and beauty to it that has literally been bogged down by so much bs at times with all the new additions

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Quite annoyingly the only specific quote concerning Maiden that I can find atm is this one.
GJqeEQeasAA0FW0.jpgGJqeESsa4AAgaU7.jpg

But I distinctly remember finding a quote from an interview at some point where he more specifically mentioned having received no oversight. Either I've been berenstain beared or this shit is just gone. (this quote, plus the numerous inconsistencies + common sense should be enough, but I'd still like more).

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Another is that I’m not fond of unhealthy behavior being romanticized. Thinking someone wanting to die to see their loved ones is a “good thing” is just icky to me.
That's def fair. I think it is also fair to think the opposite though. I'm not saying that is what's happening in this situation, but I have seen it in real life.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
That's def fair. I think it is also fair to think the opposite though. I'm not saying that is what's happening in this situation, but I have seen it in real life.
Well, I think it is definitely something people have felt in real life. I just don’t believe AC is promoting that behavior. What kind of message is that? “Hey, so the game was about moving on from loss, so now we’ll make a movie in which we’ll romanticize not moving on.” Doesn’t seem to make sense.

So the idea that Cloud wanting to die so he can see Aerith is definitely not what they are going for.

And what does that say about Aerith too? “Yeah, can’t wait until the man I love dies… we’ll be together forever. Also Zack can watch us. Also, I’m okay with Tifa being depressed because Cloud is dead and mine.”

Plus regardless of whether or not it happens in real life, people being done with life to see their loved ones is unhealthy. So why romanticize it?

Last edited:

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
In all context, LTD at times becomes more important than the story of ff7 itself and this is something that hurts. The fact is that LTD "ruins" the game a bit and it does this starting from marketing; trailers piss off CT, game pisses off CA. Here SE should have been more intelligent and decided definitively which couple to pursue (in part it did so but also not did so). Someone might say: it's a jrpg and therefore I want to decide, but the truth is that the moment you give a specific characterization to the character of Cloud the role-playing key loses effect on the character's emotional choices. Now this is fine with me because it gives more depth to the narrative and the best would be if in part 3 SE made things clear: "my story, my decisions".

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Well, I think it is definitely something people have felt in real life. I just don’t believe AC is promoting that behavior. What kind of message is that? “Hey, so the game was about moving on from loss, so now we’ll make a movie in which we’ll romanticize not moving on.” Doesn’t seem to make sense.

So the idea that Cloud wanting to die so he can see Aerith is definitely not what they are going for.

And what does that say about Aerith too? “Yeah, can’t wait until the man I love dies… we’ll be together forever. Also Zack can watch us. Also, I’m okay with Tifa being depressed because Cloud is dead and mine.”

Plus regardless of whether or not it happens in real life, people being done with life to see their loved ones is unhealthy. So why romanticize it?
Yes it could happen in real life.
But it's not what's happening in AC tho. My boy has survivor guilt and just ashamed to live an happy life. He wants to be forgiven. Plot twist. There is nothing to forgive. Shit happens in life. Aerith never hold any grudge. Move on with your life.

From the FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania on Cloud Character Profile
1711662478867.jpeg

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I don't think that's what AC is promoting either. If anything, it's promoting moving through trauma.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Here SE should have been more intelligent and decided definitively which couple to pursue (in part it did so but also not did so)
Idk if I really agree with this though. If you're not looking at the material from the lens of an extreme LTD type fan, there was nothing wrong with how SE handled their trailers. Instead, what should be done, is those extreme fans should grow up and get more life experiences

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I believe that people should interpret AC as it should be interpreted, that is:

Cloud wants to live and be happy but after the geostigma crisis the fear of losing loved ones makes him recall traumas from a past that saw him lose his family, his best friend and a spiritually important person for him.

I would throw this interpretation in the face of all those mental deviants who, for a fucking ship, make a poor kid look like an idiot who wants to die and has no respect for life.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
Idk if I really agree with this though. If you're not looking at the material from the lens of an extreme LTD type fan, there was nothing wrong with how SE handled their trailers. Instead, what should be done, is those extreme fans should grow up and get more life experiences

nah that Game Awards trailer was Bait Bait Bait to the maximum. Especially with how it all turned out as well

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
From a marketing standpoint, it was probably a good decision as it might have helped sell copies.

As far as ships go, kinda mean to both CT and CA.

Normie fans will likely not care as much other than “huh, wonder if Cloud will end up with Aerith or not? Guess I’ll find out.”

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
That's exactly what I meant; I tried to analyze things from the point of view of extreme shippers. 🥲😭

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
That's exactly what I meant; I tried to analyze things from the point of view of extreme shippers. 🥲😭
Who cares about them though? I'm sorry to be so blunt about it, but those people should be ignored. Especially when it comes to stuff like this. They already have issues outside of their ship that they need to work on. There's a reason they are apart of the extreme. They have issues interpreting the story as is. There is no need to cater to people like them

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
the hardcore CA's. I mean some of the takes that were being posted on some places after that were totally insane.

obviously not talking about casuals and normies
Yeah, some of them were pretty smug about it. Although I still kinda find it funny that they acted like it was a victory, then Tifa actually got the kiss, and they immediately backpedaled with “it’s optional” or “not canon”.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
the hardcore CA's. I mean some of the takes that were being posted on some places after that were totally insane.

obviously not talking about casuals and normies
As I just said to c.lupara, who cares about them? Their interpretation of the story is already jacked

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Yeah, some of them were pretty smug about it. Although I still kinda find it funny that they acted like it was a victory, then Tifa actually got the kiss, and they immediately backpedaled with “it’s optional” or “not canon”.
the funny thing is that when they make these twisted reasonings, they are invalidating their ship since everything about the LTD is behind a fictitious choice. There is nothing better than non-canon = canon because yes everything is canon after all.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
Who cares about them though? I'm sorry to be so blunt about it, but those people should be ignored. Especially when it comes to stuff like this. They already have issues outside of their ship that they need to work on. There's a reason they are apart of the extreme. They have issues interpreting the story as is. There is no need to cater to people like them

we shouldn't care about them at all tbh but that trailer was definitely marked towards that group tbh. Tbf makes sense might as well try and squeeze every penny from them up until the point of no return

Top Bottom