The Beatles

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
Apparently I am not the only Fab Four-loving Beatlemaniac here, and :joy:

The+Beatles+JUMP.jpg

The music, the films, the Cirque du Soleil show, the enduring legacy, even Across the Universe, all together now, discuss them here!

<3
Kassi

...my favourite Beatles film: A Hard Day's Night. Although I quite like Help!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This is my first club membership on TLS. I couldn't possibly not join it. I mean, just look at my avatar (for now; I've got a new, non-Beatles one in the works).

I have this much Beatles in my music library (these have the UK track-listings): Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let it Be, Past Masters Volume 1, Past Masters Volume 2, Live at the BBC, Anthology 1, Anthology 2, Anthology 3, 1 (which my dad worked on - see below), and Let it Be... Naked. They're overwhelmingly the number one artist on my last.fm page. There is just so much variety in their work that, if I get tired of listening to their early stuff, I can just go for some later albums, or vice-versa. I think my favourites are Revolver and Abbey Road, but there isn't one I don't like.

I have to mention this: my father is a Beatles "author, archivist and historian". At least, I think that's what his business card says. Basically, he writes books about them. All of his books so far have been reference books, such as The Beatles Recording Sessions, The Beatles London etc, but he is currently working on his magnum opus, a complete an definitive biography of the Beatles which starts long before they meet (Irish potato famine, if I remember correctly) and ends at the present day, long after they broke up. It's already been delayed a number of times, but the first volume (of three) should be out relatively soon. You might think that the world already knows everything there is to know about the Beatles, but that is completely wrong. He has told me that the book is full of new information, and I have every reason to believe him, as he is incredibly well-respected in the Beatles community. It's going to cause a stir when it is released.

He used to work for Paul McCartney's company MPL, which had some perks for me: I got to attend, along with the rest of my family, a couple of Paul's employee Christmas parties. They were great; kids always had their own entertainment, he gave us gifts, and of course, I met him. I also very briefly met Pete Best, the band's original drummer before Ringo was brought in, at a Beatles convention in Liverpool. I know, I am very, very lucky.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
It's weird to describe myself as a Beatles fan because they've always been in my life y'know? Like ever since I was small my parents played Beatles stuff so in a way they're like the default setting of 'music' if that makes sense? Plus I've lived my whole life in the Merseyside area, now I live right in the centre of Liverpool so its kind of hard to get away from Beatley things, because the city has nothing else to offer....besides football but we wont talk about that! :monster:

Anyway, yeah. My favorite film has to be Yellow Submarine, I just loved it as a kid and wore the tape out watching it. I had a crush on Ringo, but only cartoon Ringo mind! I always felt bad when he fell out of the sub in the sea of monsters :( (hey I was like six gimme a break!)

It was only recently that I saw Hard Days Night, and despite it being obvious fanservice, there was some good humour in it. I think thats part of the Beatles appeal, they always had a good sense of humor.

Apparently my mother in law dated Ringo a few times back in days of yore, before they were famous. I'm pretty sure nearly every Scouse woman over the age of 60 claims to have dated a Beatle, but I have no reason not to believe her :lol:

Oh and my dad gave one of Paul McCartney's nephews guitar lessons. But thats enough of 'Octo's Lames to Fame&#8482;'

I think my overall favourite Beatle is George, cos he's just the best looking I think :monster:

Anyway here for no apparent raisin is my top 10 Beatles songs (In no particular order)

1: Taxman
2: Hey Bulldog
3: Here Comes the Sun
4: In My Life
5: Blackbird
6: Tomorrow Never Knows
7: All Too Much
8: I'm Only Sleeping
9: Nowhere Man
10: If I Fell

.......ok I thought of more so sue me!

11: Cry Baby Cry
12: Norwegian Wood
13: With a Little Help From My Friends
14: If I Needed Someone
15: Drive My Car

Ok thats enough lists now. It would be easier to list the songs I hate. :monster:

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
Flint... I know I said this before in IRC but you are so awesome it hurts. In fact it hurts not to have typed that sentence in allcaps! Your Beatles fandom eats my Beatles fandom for breakfast, Pac-Man style! :lol:

There is just so much variety in their work that, if I get tired of listening to their early stuff, I can just go for some later albums, or vice-versa. I think my favourites are Revolver and Abbey Road, but there isn't one I don't like.

I too find this to be the case. And also I find it really impressive for the time they were together; a lot of bands together longer haven't varied nearly as much in their sound and experimentation. Abbey Road & Sgt. Pepper are my favorite albums.

I'm a second-gen Beatlemaniac. My mom had a crush on Paul McCartney & still has her old records from the 60s. No record player though.

I think my overall favourite Beatle is George, cos he's just the best looking I think

I agree!

I love Hard Day's Night mainly because of the romping scene with no dialogue. I also love Help! for that similar reason though... and Yellow Submarine I first saw when I was six in elementary school. "Would you believe me if I told you I was being followed by a submarine?" is still one of my favorite lines.

Favorite song is 'Because.' Others, in no particular order:
-'Happiness is a Warm Gun'
-'I Want You'
-'I'm Looking Through You'
-'Norwegian Wood'
-'Help!'
-'Girl'
-'Helter Skelter'
-'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)'

Anyone else play Beatles Rock Band?

Also, has anyone else seen the Anthology documentary? Or 'Across the Universe'? I'm a big fan of New York City & the 60s as well, so that movie made me very happy. I knew nothing about it at all the first time I watched it, and was pleasantly overwhelmed, especially when Mr. Kite shows up!

<3
Kassi

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Also, has anyone else seen the Anthology documentary? Or 'Across the Universe'? I'm a big fan of New York City & the 60s as well, so that movie made me very happy. I knew nothing about it at all the first time I watched it, and was pleasantly overwhelmed, especially when Mr. Kite shows up!
I've seen some of the Anthology, but not all of it. I hang my head in shame. As for Across the Universe, I read and heard that it was terrible, and couldn't bring myself to see it just for the Beatles element. I'm a bit picky with my films.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I first noticed the Beatles when I saw the Yellow Submarine on tv, when I was about 11 years old, and I've liked them ever since. I think there's songs that I like more and some that I like less, but I can't say that there would be a song that I wouldn't like.

Some of my favourite songs are:
A Day In a Life
Blackbird
I Want You
Come Together
Here Comes the Sun
Honey Pie

And that's just some of the songs I like. I also have to say that the list may differ depending on time and how I'm feeling. :D For example you can see how the songs on my list at the moment are not from the early years of their career.

I also like the music each of them have made on their solo careers, except for Ringo, but that's because I haven't really heard any of his work. ^^'

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
There are no favorites, there are only the Beatles. Seriously, every time I try to decide on favorites it comes out different. So I just don't anymore.

Ghost X

Come Together is my favorite Beatles song followed by Let It Be.

I like Come Together too. One time, I sang it with some friends at a karaoke bar who were not familiar with it and they were like WTF at the lyrics and decided to skip the song. I was most disappointed :P.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I wasn't even born during their prime, but since I prefer listening to old artists than mainstream songs for obvious reasons, I came to love the Beatles. I have yet to explore more of their songs but I already have a few favorites like 'Hey Jude', 'Come Together' and 'Across the Universe'.

And among those 'Across the Universe' is my most favorite. It's actually the first Beatle song I heard. The lyrics, the melody are just so so brilliant.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Especially since it's about his wife prattling on while he's trying to go to sleep :monster:

(Well, that's not what it's about, but it's where it came from:P)

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
gosh, I don't know if I could pick one favorite, but there are a bunch that I love:

-Here Comes the Sun
-I Will
-In My Life
-I Want to Hold Your Hand
-Maxwell's Silver Hammer
-Come Together
-She Loves You
-When I'm Sixty-Four
-All You Need Is Love
-Blackbird
-You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
-Octopus's Garden

god, I just love them all though and want to put them all on my list :sadpanda:

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
gosh, I don't know if I could pick one favorite, but there are a bunch that I love:

-Here Comes the Sun
-I Will
-In My Life
-I Want to Hold Your Hand
-Maxwell's Silver Hammer
-Come Together
-She Loves You
-When I'm Sixty-Four
-All You Need Is Love
-Blackbird
-You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
-Octopus's Garden

god, I just love them all though and want to put them all on my list :sadpanda:

There are no favorites, there are only the Beatles. Seriously, every time I try to decide on favorites it comes out different. So I just don't anymore.

Top Bottom