Onto the topic of voting (but not the voting, just yet)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
No, it's not vote time just yet, but given we have two mod spots to fill, a standard poll won't do the job.

So, a few options.
Multiple choice poll. You'd be limited to two votes, any abuse of the system would be stripped.

Public write in Poll. Write in your two choices. Can't vote for the same person twice, since they can't have two mod spots.

Private write in- Same as above, but private, if folks want it. I doubt you do, but it's there.

Two Standard Polls in quick succession. All Nominees are on the first ballot. Whoever is voted highest is removed from the second one. Voting can either be public or private for this as well.

If you have another method, feel free to suggest it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
What happened to the suggestion that each mod would get their own vote? That allows people to indicate who they don't want to become one, as well as who they do.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Multiple choice poll. You'd be limited to two votes, any abuse of the system would be stripped.

Out of your suggestions, this would be the one I'd go with.

Although originally when I had pictured it, I thought each mod/candidate would get their own thread/poll. That was before each got a Q&A thread. And people could either support or not support that person, and the people with the most support would be the ones to get the green light. So idk if that would be a thing you'd want to do.

Oh and private. Definitely should be a private vote.

No, it's not vote time just yet, but given we have two mod spots to fill, a standard poll won't do the job.

Quick question about this. Two? or three? Cause I couldn't help but notice Force put into the Retired Staff category. With Tenny & Force gone, you'd have to fill those two, plus the one you wanted before any of the staff left. idk if you feel like you need that many, but just asking.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'd like 3 new mods ideally, that way hopefully, we can get wider variety of personalities and everybody will be pleased with at least one choice. Also, there is a chance that those elected might need/want to step down after a while and this saves us the trouble of having to do all this again in a few months time.

Oh and whatever option, private is definitely the way to go. During these Q&A sessions I've noticed that its the same people asking questions, now maybe thats because other members were going to ask the same questions but have been saved the trouble, but It could also be because they don't feel comfortable doing it.

Also, its probably better if Mods don't know who did or didn't vote for them to prevent accusations of bias in future.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Imho, we should do three mods total. Kristen has a good point, as well as Octo.

I'll gladly volunteer myself to take the votes.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
At the moment, we're -officially- looking at two, but this is entirely seat of pants, so the total is subject to change. That's not to contradict Adri, just a note that shit's still progressing. Expect updates.

As for the individual private votes for mods on a nominee by nominee basis, it would have to continue on beyond the initial round of voting, unless there is a clear swing towards only two particular moderators, and would drag out these proceedings even longer.

If that is what you all prefer, however, we can swing that.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
An abbreviated version of that would be to give everyone a choice of giving a + or - vote to each nominee, or not voting for them at all. Then select the two candidates with the biggest net score. It would have to be done through PMs.

The problem with most of the voting systems you suggested as I see it is that a nominee who has a solid core of support but is disliked by a majority will do better than someone who everyone would be happy with but is not the first or second choice of many.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
An abbreviated version of that would be to give everyone a choice of giving a + or - vote to each nominee, or not voting for them at all. Then select the two candidates with the biggest net score. It would have to be done through PMs.

That's sort of how we do the awards nominees. It's a lot of work, ngl. I think making individual threads for each person would be less work.

Oh I just want to comment on something too. I really encourage everyone to vote, even if it's a "no" on a candidate. Don't be afraid to put up a vote that you're for or against someone if it's how you really feel. I don't want people to feel they should abstain if they don't want someone as a mod. Unless you really are undecided on a person. :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Oh I just want to comment on something too. I really encourage everyone to vote, even if it's a "no" on a candidate. Don't be afraid to put up a vote that you're for or against someone if it's how you really feel. I don't want people to feel they should abstain if they don't want someone as a mod. Unless you really are undecided on a person. :monster:

vote_or_die.jpg

Seriously, I agree 100%. I want everyone to vote, even those who think it might not concern them because they only look at the FFVII forums or something.

In fact maybe we should add something somewhere prominent to let people know these votes are happening? People who don't check the feedback forum might not even know about them?

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
An announcement would do the trick since they show up at the top of every forum and sub forum iirc.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let's just hope it doesn't go the way of the TLS voting and awards :monster:

I guess we'll just make sure Force isn't the one counting. XD

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Right, so here's the current system I am thinking of to give every nominee their fair shake, give everyone their confidentiality, and hopefully get through this without wasting too terribly much time.

After the conclusion of the Q and A period, probably that will be Thursday, a list of all the moderator nominations will be posted.
Each member who wishes to vote can take that list and PM it to a member of staff to be selected who will process the votes. Top 2/3 nominees go forward. That voting takes 2 days. Next round, repeat of the same, until it is winnowed to the last 3 moderators.

Voting itself will take the form of PMing the list to the selected member of staff with a +, -, or equals next to the nominee name, for approve, disapprove, and ambivalence/ do not care.
Additional notes can be added to these messages as desired, but are not required.

Does this sound acceptable to everyone? Any suggestions or improvements you would like to add?

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
I still don't understand why everyone has to go through the trouble of PMing people. Last time we did this, we used polls. We're making things more complicated than they need to be. But, whatever.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Gonna agree with my main hombre here.
Pming your yes and no's seems rather ridiculous when it's easier just to put up polls.
At least then members can watch the progression also.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I mean, if other people agree with that, then I'll concede. But it seems to me it would be a whole lot less trouble to just make individual threads. It's still private. And tbh, I think more people would be inclined to participate in the polls than to PM someone. idk, that's my two cents, let anyone else weigh in on it.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Sending a PM takes about as much time as making a post or two (something we all do) so honestly it's just as simple as putting up a poll. If we make a poll however, I'd put my two cents and say that it ought to be private.

We want people voting on the nominees merits. If the poll is public then it encourages strategic voting which really shouldn't be the case here.

Either way, it's all easy enough.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
There's a problem with creating individual polls. There are going to be several morons that'll cast votes in every thread, which could lead to multiple people tying for positions.

Iirc, polls have always been private when it comes to these sorts of things. And polls lessen the chance of human error which could occur with PMs.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
There's a problem with creating individual polls. There are going to be several morons that'll cast votes in every thread, which could lead to multiple people tying for positions.

And, iirc, polls have always been private when it comes to these sorts of things. And polls lessen the chance of human error which could occur with PMs.

I thought the whole idea was that you could vote in individual polls? That way you can vote either yes or no for everyone. The candidates with the greatest number of net positive votes would become staff. Otherwise there really would be no point in having multiple polls :)

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
yeah, there's definitely pros and cons to both of the options. So it's just a matter of which appears to be the lesser of two evils.

imo though Road, everyone should have an opinion on each candidate. Although, I can see how it would be a problem because there's no weight to say I prefer one more than another. But in that regard, the polls vs the PM both have that same issue. I could PM the list with + next to each candidate all the same as voting "yes" in every poll.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I thought the whole idea was that you could vote in individual polls? That way you can vote either yes or no for everyone. The candidates with the greatest number of net positive votes would become staff. Otherwise there really would be no point in having multiple polls :)

I actually agree with you Flint. But what Road is saying though is this. Let's just say everyone voted yes on every candidate. Well then all the candidates are tied. Then what?

Although in the case of a tie, I guess I'd leave it up to either current staff or yop by himself to cast the final say.

Top Bottom