Onto the topic of voting (but not the voting, just yet)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I actually agree with you Flint. But what Road is saying though is this. Let's just say everyone voted yes on every candidate. Well then all the candidates are tied. Then what?
Then... rock paper scissors? :monster:

Seriously though, I think that's pretty unlikely, but even if nobody voted "no" for any candidates, some people would probably get more yes votes than others. And if there really is a tie, Yop or the admins together can choose from the tied candidates.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
We simply have one poll with everyone on it, and leave that up for 3 days or so. The winner gets the position. Rinse and repeat two more times.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
yeah. Bottom line is that I'm still in favor of the polls, but I can see the pros and cons of both sides.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
As much as a PM would appear to be a better way of doing things, IMO, there's too much leeway to run the risk of something getting missed or mixed up. Then, instead of avoiding drama, that's all you'll get.

Polls are pretty straightforward. No misconceptions.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I guess it would be a bad idea to vote ironically wouldn't it?
Because that could very potentially bite me in the ass :sadpanda:

but how am I going to get votes lest it be for the ironic ones :sadpanda:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I want PM's. There are certain aspects of public spectacles of the moderation process that never sat right to me. So I think that at least the votes should be purely secret.

I don't want members looking at the numbers and thinking "so close" or "he's losing I'll vote for him because I can't think of a second person" "what a fucking popularity contest, I bet those two votes are from her friends" or "joke vote lol, look at me" but most importantly, I don't want people to look at those votes and see that if they didn't get any votes or almost none at all feel like shit. Yeah it's tough love. But this mod shit can get extremely sour and if you can take the few minutes to avoid that extra discomfort. I'd like that.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
A vote on how to vote......?

INCEPTION!

Is it even possible to have a non-PM poll, where the results are kept secret until the end? Because I want people to vote for who they want, and not just who they think might get in based on what the numbers look like to them at the time of voting y'know? Because thats a transitory thing anyway.

http://www.learnmyself.com/personality.asp?p=new-poll

^This site is probably crap I dunno, but something along those lines could work? They have the option for results to remain secret etc etc.

Theres probably other similar sites out there? :/

I kind of like that idea Octo, except I'd be worried it could be taken advantage of (people voting multiple times from different computers or something).

I don't care about threads with voting, doing the whole round 1-2-3(?) thing sounds alright. Extra rounds means you don't need to worry if your second choice isn't in second place because you can vote for them next time around.

I guess I still prefer individual voting threads for individual candidates because I don't just want to see how many people say yes, and yes over the other candidates, I want to see the people who say 'no I don't feel comfortable with this person having mod powers'. What I'd worry about in the poll with everyone on it thing is 'so-and-so is in the lead, and I really don't feel like they should be a mod, so I'll vote for [blank] because they wouldn't be as bad but I also don't really support them as a mod'.

I don't see it as a 'most votes [yes] wins' thing either, but more of a 'lets look at these results' and then staff make the final decision based on these results.

Voting would obviously be anonymus, if poll results can be hidden until you've voted as well that would also be preferrable (ya you could ask people who have voted but if you'll put that much effort into lol oh well).

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I kind of like that idea Octo, except I'd be worried it could be taken advantage of (people voting multiple times from different computers or something).

I don't care about threads with voting, doing the whole round 1-2-3(?) thing sounds alright. Extra rounds means you don't need to worry if your second choice isn't in second place because you can vote for them next time around.

I guess I still prefer individual voting threads for individual candidates because I don't just want to see how many people say yes, and yes over the other candidates, I want to see the people who say 'no I don't feel comfortable with this person having mod powers'. What I'd worry about in the poll with everyone on it thing is 'so-and-so is in the lead, and I really don't feel like they should be a mod, so I'll vote for [blank] because they wouldn't be as bad but I also don't really support them as a mod'.

I don't see it as a 'most votes [yes] wins' thing either, but more of a 'lets look at these results' and then staff make the final decision based on these results.

Voting would obviously be anonymus, if poll results can be hidden until you've voted as well that would also be preferrable (ya you could ask people who have voted but if you'll put that much effort into lol oh well).

This is why I proposed the +/- ballot, as it lets you weigh for and against each nominee all at once, would be conducted in secret, yet with a paper trail that could be followed if needed, and wouldn't be prone to 'oh, let's shore those numbers up,' or other reaction voting, since this is a serious poll.

I'll check if VB polls can be hidden until closed under our current setup, however.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I kind of like that idea Octo, except I'd be worried it could be taken advantage of (people voting multiple times from different computers or something)

Yeah that could be an issue....Also, are we able to put anything in place to stop people creating new accounts just to vote? I don't like the idea of Vigara4U.com2184 skewing the results :lol:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I'm sure we could just exclude votes from members that have joined the forum after the polls are put up. :wacky:

My memory is hazy on this but I'm fairly sure there's something available in vB that can keep poll results hidden.

There has to be something. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I thought transparency was the best idea until I read the above posts. Now I'm definitely thinking it'll be better to keep the results hidden at least until after the voting is finished. I really don't care how we actually vote, just that it gets done, it's traceable to each username (so there's no funny business) and that the results stay hidden until after the vote takes place.

The Q & A threads are a really good way to form an opinion on each prospective mod IMO, so a poll wouldn't bother me at all. Unlike say the character battles or the music tournament, I don't think there's a need for any poster to vote and then write up a post explaining that vote. That can be done anywhere on the forum, and I also don't think it should have a place anywhere near the actual voting thread itself. I say that for the same reason I support keeping the results anonymous until after it's over.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Yeah that could be an issue....Also, are we able to put anything in place to stop people creating new accounts just to vote? I don't like the idea of Vigara4U.com2184 skewing the results :lol:

I'm sure we could just exclude votes from members that have joined the forum after the polls are put up. :wacky:

My memory is hazy on this but I'm fairly sure there's something available in vB that can keep poll results hidden.

There has to be something. :monster:

Currently, we can make voters anonymous, but not the running tally of votes.

I thought transparency was the best idea until I read the above posts. Now I'm definitely thinking it'll be better to keep the results hidden at least until after the voting is finished. I really don't care how we actually vote, just that it gets done, it's traceable to each username (so there's no funny business) and that the results stay hidden until after the vote takes place.

The Q & A threads are a really good way to form an opinion on each prospective mod IMO, so a poll wouldn't bother me at all. Unlike say the character battles or the music tournament, I don't think there's a need for any poster to vote and then write up a post explaining that vote. That can be done anywhere on the forum, and I also don't think it should have a place anywhere near the actual voting thread itself. I say that for the same reason I support keeping the results anonymous until after it's over.

Right, does anyone have any major problems with PMing a particular member of staff their votes, and keeping a copy of that PM for your paper trail?
Because that strikes me as the most elegant solution to this whole brouhaha that allows multiple votes and for and against votes, is confidential yet trackable, and lets us make sure that nonsense votes are kept to a minimum.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Right, does anyone have any major problems with PMing a particular member of staff their votes, and keeping a copy of that PM for your paper trail?
Because that strikes me as the most elegant solution to this whole brouhaha that allows multiple votes and for and against votes, is confidential yet trackable, and lets us make sure that nonsense votes are kept to a minimum.

meh, but ok. Is it possible for a second staff member to double check the tallies to avoid any counting errors?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
meh, but ok. Is it possible for a second staff member to double check the tallies to avoid any counting errors?

Well, if you want, we could use the new forum for voting, so that all of staff and you yourself could see the voting. That makes things slightly less confidential, but if everyone's okay with that, it lets everyone on staff check the math of whoever does the tallying.

Alternately, you can just PM a second member of staff your votes.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
That suggestion sounds like a fairly good one, though total anonymity would be better still. I think it's getting near to the time when someone needs to make an executive decision on this, and to be honest, I'll be fine with anything.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ryu, just have everyone PM one staff member with their votes. Then that staff members forwards them to one other staff member to check the math.

or just let it be up to one person, idc

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
That suggestion sounds like a fairly good one, though total anonymity would be better still.

I'll call Diebold.

I think it's getting near to the time when someone needs to make an executive decision on this, and to be honest, I'll be fine with anything.

I'm aware of the time, yes.

Ryu, just have everyone PM one staff member with their votes. Then that staff members forwards them to one other staff member to check the math.

or just let it be up to one person, idc

I was thinking PMing two specified staff members so there were guaranteed three people who could confirm a particular vote.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go lasso a member or two of staff to be on hand to tally.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
So are we gonna have a vote to decide how to vote or not to vote but really were gonna vote to make a decision on what form of voting is best?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
No, that would be a bit absurd, and too late at this point anyways.

Expect some more updates on this later.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'll be willing to help count votes if need be. I've run several contests involving voting in the past without much trouble, for what that's worth.

Top Bottom