• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Terminator: Genisys & New James Cameron Film

Ghost X

... and then the trailer is released and makes it look like it'll be the best film ever made. Calling it now :awesome:. This will be the Steven Bradbury of marketing strategies ("next up in references only Australians will understand").

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@Tres: I'll always be me!! :awesomonster:

Question: Do you guys consider changes taking place in the past to always be retcons?

I'm asking because, for me, even time-travel-based changes in Terminator always effect a later timeline and have never retconned anything (yet). For example: Linda Hamilton Sarah Connor and her timeline took place and then time travel lead to the events with Emilia Clarke Sarah Connor & her Terminator. Their time travel doesn't overwrite anything, it just jumps in to a new timeline after the events of the current one (which is why John Connor sending back Kyle Reese to be his own father isn't a bootstrap paradox).

X :neo:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I only became aware of the existence of this film last night when Mr Octo told me

So Kyle Reese has basically got to go back in time and convince Sarah Connor to bone him? Even though she boned him in the previous timeline when he was wearing horrible smelly pants that he stole from a tramp?

Even though if said bonage did occur its probably unlikely John Connor would be born as a result, it would be somebody else?

And then it becomes a romantic comedy with Kyle and his robot pal trying to come up with schemes to win her over?

I think I'll wait for it to come out on dvd :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Question: Do you guys consider changes taking place in the past to always be retcons?

I'm asking because, for me, even time-travel-based changes in Terminator always effect a later timeline and have never retconned anything (yet). For example: Linda Hamilton Sarah Connor and her timeline took place and then time travel lead to the events with Emilia Clarke Sarah Connor & her Terminator. Their time travel doesn't overwrite anything, it just jumps in to a new timeline after the events of the current one (which is why John Connor sending back Kyle Reese to be his own father isn't a bootstrap paradox).
I would call it an evolution of the timeline rather than a retcon. This isn't retroactive continuity replacing or being inserted into what came before under the pretense that "it was always like that" -- it's very up front in being new continuity that is a plot-based change.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
TBH I've stopped expecting any kind of movie or franchise that involves time travel to make any kind of sense, :monster:. If time travel existed, it'd probably instantly vaporise the universe due to the infinity of possible realities and paradoxes.

Or maybe that already happened, :monster:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
@Tres: I'll always be me!! :awesomonster:

Instead of retcon I just assume every film and spin-off after T1-T2 occur in alt timelines. That's the only logical thing I can come up with especially since T3 said he met T2 Arnie at the age of 13 when he was actually 10 yrs old.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Instead of retcon I just assume every film and spin-off after T1-T2 occur in alt timelines. That's the only logical thing I can come up with especially since T3 said he met T2 Arnie at the age of 13 when he was actually 10 yrs old.
Frankly, the notion that this obvious teenager was ever supposed to be 10 struck me as being the mistake. Hell, Edward Furlong was 13 during the entirety of the filming.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"This is a press conference to announce that in a week I will be holding a press conference to announce my retirement. Please be excited."

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Well, it's clear that Genisys has time-travel goodness finally involves intersecting and interrupting old events in a way that we can actively see. This has the potential to be really good and I'm hoping that the time travel mechanics stay true to how they've been working thus far. Also, Emilia Clarke looks pretty awesome as Sarah Connor. Still very curious about Matt Smith's mystery as-of-yet-still unrevealed character.

Also, interesting that there's a tiny possibility that this timeline might not end up with a John Connor (though that doesn't stop the one in the future from existing, thankfully).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Ehhhhh. =/
Looks like a clusterfuck. Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor doesn't sit well with me at all either.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Oh hey.

K-Mart Brand Sam Worthington is in this too? His agent must have sold his soul to the devil :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
This doesn't strike me as being very promising. Only part I really liked was when Arnold took out a helicopter with a headbutt.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Haters-gonna-hate-x3-skilene-27010286-900-600.jpg

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
"We can stop judgement day from happening"

The last time you tried it happened anyway.

Frankly, the notion that this obvious teenager was ever supposed to be 10 struck me as being the mistake. Hell, Edward Furlong was 13 during the entirety of the filming.

Who knows.

I feel like this should've been yet another tv series like TSCC

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I just don't know why I should be excited for a movie that basically uses its time travel shenanigans to undo what happened in T1 and T2 and mash them together in a weird fanfiction-y way.
Yeah, fuck with T1 and T2. Not like they are considered movie history classics or anything.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, as I said earlier - unlike other time travel-based films, this one never overwrites any of the timelines, another one just branches off every time they travel back. The only way to ACTUALLY win against Skynet is either kill it before it starts (likely impossible), or defeat it post-judgement day before any time travel happens, because the storyline always follows the most recently affected timeline.

T1-4 all involve them sending in other Terminators LATER (Sarah, then John, then older John & his generals, then post-Judgement Day John), but it never made sense why they wouldn't try going earlier instead, so this is the most logical progression given that those tactics have failed.

I have a REALLY tl;dr post about the mechanics of Time Travel in the Terminator universe that I can probably rip apart and rewrite if anyone's interested.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well, as I said earlier - unlike other time travel-based films, this one never overwrites any of the timelines, another one just branches off every time they travel back.

That would make travelling back into the past entirely pointless if it doesn't affect the timeline one wants to have changed.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
I have a REALLY tl;dr post about the mechanics of Time Travel in the Terminator universe that I can probably rip apart and rewrite if anyone's interested.

I'm interested. I like time travel even XIII-2's wacky form(which is one of the many time travel types)

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I just want to know why time travel is for nudists only? And the follow-on, why do T-1000s have to get fake naked.

Ghost X

@Tetsujin: I don't remember the storyline, but has Skynet said it wanted to save itself in any particular timeline? Isn't Skynet a hivemind? Does it really matter which timeline it survives in?

Last edited:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
I just want to know why time travel is for nudists only? And the follow-on, why do T-1000s have to get fake naked.

Non-organic can't go. I don't know about the T-1000.

Top Bottom