Voice Acting Discussion

Pixel

The Pixie King
I wonder if they'll have the whole game written before they start voice recording sessions. I was just thinking about how they've had to cast marlene twice already. I hope they can get a good child actress for her and get everything recorded in one go.

I hope they don't all have American accents. Not that I have any objection to American accents, but the Planet isn't the USA. One of the things I liked about XII and XIII was that they recruited English accents from all over the place. For example, it would be pretty cool if Barret had a West Indian accent. And if Reeve had an Indian accent.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Eh, i dunno, I don't think most americans can percieve how shitty some british accents sound in games, especially when you get american VAs doing Dick Van Dyke chimney sweep impressions, thinking its good. Watch Kingsglaive and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, they need to get actors speaking in their natural accents. Balthier's VA was great in FFXII, for example. I'm more or less resigned to Cloud having a slightly whiny American accent, but almost none of these characters sound like they did in my head (except maybe Rude). On the other hand, I wouldn't want the situation where everybody who works for Shinra has a British accent and everybody Avalanche has an American accent. That would be silly.

If they wanted to make Reno Irish I wouldn't object.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Red XIII, Hojo, and Marlene aside since they will pretty much have new voice actors, am I the only one who wants all of the english cast from Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core to reprise their roles for the Remake?

The one thing I loathe the most is the voice changes of my favorite characters. I was so looking forward for Steve Burton, Steven Blum, Reigh...whatever her name is, Quinton Flynn and pretty much everyone else who can come back to come back to reprise their roles.

Like I said, I don't want all of them because I'd like to see a wider representation of English language voice acting and accents. I like Rude's voice though and I thought Rufus Shinra was pretty good.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I think they've already established what the characters sound like, even as far back as the OG* with Barret -although I found him higher pitched than he should have been in AC. Plus it was bad enough when they decided to give Cait Sith a Scottish accent - even if it was appropriate to the character.

I think they (game makers in general) should put a wider variety of accents and languages in games, if it's appropriate to the story to do so. But not for the remake, they're probably going to have a lot of changes in there that are going to piss people off so I'd like them to minimise that.

EDIT: *Even though I'm English myself, I always imagined the majority of the characters sounding American.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I wonder if they'll have the whole game written before they start voice recording sessions. I was just thinking about how they've had to cast marlene twice already. I hope they can get a good child actress for her and get everything recorded in one go.

Man I loved Marlene's second voice actress. She was so damn good.
And they at least recorded that trailer in English, but obviously I don't know how much that relates to voicing the game.

And everyone throws a fit when they give one of them an accent other than standard American (Cait Sith, Cid)...and I can already imagine the internet thinkpieces if they give Wutains an Asian accent. And man, you British types have never gotten over that Dick Van Dyke thing, have you? :monster: I haven't heard an accent like that in a long time.

What's "whiny" about Cloud's voice? I hear people complain that it's flat, but I haven't heard whiny before. As I've said, I think Burton improves in every subsequent performance (outside Dissidia, but everyone sucks in Dissidia for some reason): WoFF > new ACC scenes > Crisis Core > Dirge > original AC > KH2, so I'm optimistic about him too.

Last edited:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Ariel Winter is 18 years old now. She recently voiced Mog in XIII-2 and Type 0. I'm sure she could put on a higher voice to sound like Marlene again, since the VA's in the Simpsons are in their 50s voicing characters that are between 6-10 years old.

Pixel

The Pixie King
There's something a lot more special about having a child actor compared to an adult pretending to sound like a kid. It always sounds forced cutesy. When I cast the girl who played Dajh and young Rufus, I think she was 12 or 13, and still had that inocence in her acting, but even then, wouldn't work for 5-6 yo marlene.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I wish they'd given Cait one of those completely impenetrable Glaswegian accents.

And Heidegger needs a German accent.

I will ask this again. Am I really the only one who wants most of the actors from the previous FFVII titles that had voice acting to return to reprise their roles as most of the characters? Because I'd hate to hear Reno, the rest of the Turks and everyone else to have different voices.

Hojo, Red XIII and especially Marlene, I can cope with in having different voices for most reasons. But if they replace ALL of them, I'm avoiding the Remake completely.

That aside, I've been imagining Heidegger to sound more like Ormi from Final Fantasy X-2, and Scarlet to sound like Jessie from the Pokemon anime.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I'm fine with the old VA cast returning to reprise their roles. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the roles now, for me anyway.

I agree with Pixel about the magic of child actor doing the voicework for child roles. They just completely nail the innocence part of a child's personality. The actor who voiced Larsa in the English dub of FFXII, Johnny McKeown, was pretty young when they cast him, and I think it worked out perfectly.

As for the voices of characters we haven't heard yet, not sure. I've got some thinking to do.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Aeriel could play young Tifa or Aerith. I checked out some of her recent voice work, but it sounds chipmonky, like its pitched up.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
It still tickles me that Cloud's JP voice does Griffith in Berserk.

Talk about polar opposite roles.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

Wut
I did not know this, that's awesome :awesome:

I'm not too fussed about the voice actors for the Remake. To be honest I liked all the ones they had for AC and DoC anyhow. Of course AC was my first foray into the VII universe, so I never invented voices for them in my head. :monster: I'm used to it, my brain now associates them with those voices and vice versa.

That being said if some of them were changed, so long as it wasn't something drastic, I still probably wouldn't be fussed. :awesome:

Except maybe if Rude had a Jamaican accent.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Another irony is that Sephiroth's Japanese voice actor Toshiyuki Morikawa also voiced Griffith, rather from the 1997 series. So basically both the hero and villain of FFVII are two different versions of Griffith's Japanese voice.

And as for opposite roles, George Newbern, Sephiroth's most common English voice actor is also relatively well known for being perhaps being the most prominent voice for Superman in many of his animated incarnations, perhaps just behind Tim Daly in recognizability.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
He also had a stint in Friends as one of Rachel's boyfriends, Danny (the yeti).
Good to see you...Rachel.

Maybe Joanna Lumley for Scarlet? :P

Top Bottom