• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Voice Acting Discussion

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
To be honest I really didn't mind Mena Suvari. Her tone felt a little flat at times, but I thought the pitch of her voice really suited Aerith.

Come at me, bruh. :neo:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, at least George Newbern and most likely Steve Burton will most likely both return to reprise their roles as Sephiroth and Cloud, but my concern is Quinton Flynn on whether he would return as both Lea/Axel for KH3 and Reno for the Remake.

Uh, if George Newbern tweeted this, does this mean that the Remake will be out before KH3? If that's the case, then....*Sigh* I shall not comment and just do so offline.

To be honest I really didn't mind Mena Suvari. Her tone felt a little flat at times, but I thought the pitch of her voice really suited Aerith. Come at me, bruh.

I personally prefer Mena Suvari to Mandy Moore anyday because Mandy's voice as Aerith was...as I said before, way too edgy and didn't sound right for her. I don't get why most people don't like Mena.

I hope Elena's voice from AC/ACC returns, but I doubt it.

And as for Hojo's english voice actor, I can't remember where I found that, but I do know for certain that he won't be returning to voice him, and Hojo will have to be voiced by a different Japanese guy since his previous one died.

I still wonder who would voice President ShinRa-as in, not Rufus-. I hope to god it's NOT Ray Chase, for obvious reasons.

Ray's too young to voice ShinRa, and well, he's more suited as Noctis in FFXV and the Master of Masters in KH: Back Cover, even if the latter is an old guy acting like a guy in his 20's or even as a teenager with a twisted and unpredictable mind. Always imagined President ShinRa to be gruffi-ish and Heidegger to be very gruffy.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The best way to please everybody would be to make a toggle option for voice dialogue and subtitles. One, the other, or both. Simple Menu Config. Please Square-Enix. Please.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Well, at least George Newbern and most likely Steve Burton will most likely both return to reprise their roles as Sephiroth and Cloud, but my concern is Quinton Flynn on whether he would return as both Lea/Axel for KH3 and Reno for the Remake.

Uh, if George Newbern tweeted this, does this mean that the Remake will be out before KH3? If that's the case, then....*Sigh* I shall not comment and just do so offline.

To be honest I really didn't mind Mena Suvari. Her tone felt a little flat at times, but I thought the pitch of her voice really suited Aerith. Come at me, bruh.

I personally prefer Mena Suvari to Mandy Moore anyday because Mandy's voice as Aerith was...as I said before, way too edgy and didn't sound right for her. I don't get why most people don't like Mena.

I hope Elena's voice from AC/ACC returns, but I doubt it.

And as for Hojo's english voice actor, I can't remember where I found that, but I do know for certain that he won't be returning to voice him, and Hojo will have to be voiced by a different Japanese guy since his previous one died.

I still wonder who would voice President ShinRa-as in, not Rufus-. I hope to god it's NOT Ray Chase, for obvious reasons.

Ray's too young to voice ShinRa, and well, he's more suited as Noctis in FFXV and the Master of Masters in KH: Back Cover, even if the latter is an old guy acting like a guy in his 20's or even as a teenager with a twisted and unpredictable mind. Always imagined President ShinRa to be gruffi-ish and Heidegger to be very gruffy.

Too edgy? For Aerith? What?

Are you sure you haven't been sucked into the AC image of "Our Lady of LifeStream " St.Aerith?

Andrea Bowen's the perfect mix of sweet and quirky, and there's definitely some echos of Mandy's performance is how she handles the character.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Uh, if George Newbern tweeted this, does this mean that the Remake will be out before KH3?

The tweet he was responding to didn't mention the Remake but "any upcoming game that has Sephiroth in it" so he could have been talking about KH3, the Remake, Final Fantasy Mobius etc. Honestly I wouldn't read too much into it :)

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
Anyone who says Mandy Moore wasn't perfect for Aerith can just... go away :P This was her voice back when Kingdom Hearts was recorded.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Anyone who says Mandy Moore wasn't perfect for Aerith can just... go away :P This was her voice back when Kingdom Hearts was recorded.

Eh. Still a little too conventionally "Girl Next Door". Those kind of performances are very easy to come by. Dime a dozen in Anime VA networks.

I still gravitate hard towards Andrea Bowen because of how unique her voice is. Its sweet, but it has a certain twangy...I dunno. But it makes her stand out against most other traditional "Nice Girl" styles.

Random Nobody

local roach
I didn't like the voice actress they picked for Zelda in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but I don't make a big fuss over that.
Yelling, that's because they had her do that doodoo ass Ren Faire accent and made a grown woman try to pull baby voice seventeen-year-old whisper talk.

EDIT:

For reference, the voice of Zelda is also this character:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Quinton Flynn has said lots of times he is ready to reprise his role as Reno and Lea, he just hasn't had a call.

Here's one from March 28th, the most recent VIIR one:

@quintonflynn Hey! I was wondering if you're going to be returning to do Reno's voice in Final Fantasy VII HD?

And I'm wondering the same thing! Someone book me to do the job I want to do it now!
https://twitter.com/quintonflynn/status/846567628692967424

LOL! Goes to show that Quinton Flynn loves his role as Reno and Lea/Axel so much that he's on the waiting list. I'd bet that the moment Disney asks him if he can reprise his role as Lea/Axel and then Square dub asks him to reprise his role as Reno, he'd say "YES PLEASE!" in a heartbeat.

He has my full support on these!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Hmmm....either his agent is up to something that's preventing Quinton Flynn from getting phonecalls or more likely the cutscenes and such for Reno in FFVII Remake and Lea/Axel in KH3 are not ready yet.

Maybe we'll find out soon-ish.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I wonder if the voice actor strike is going to affect the casting for the remake and KH.

I guess that depends which characters are voiced by SAG-AFTRA voice actors and which ones are not, and how Square Enix employs it's VAs for those games (attached below is what companies are being struck against). KHIII might be liable to be affected by the strike since Disney Character Voices IIRC is employed for the KH. However this article from last fall: https://www.destructoid.com/-update...-concerns-of-safety-and-respect--394933.phtml
said Square Enix itself is not being struck, so FFVII is probably not at risk?

EDIT: But Square Enix does outsource some of their work to "Blindlight, LLC", which is being struck against, which is why that Life is Strange voice actress didn't reprise her role. Does anyone know if the previous FF games, for their English VAs, outsourced from any of the struck companies?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.13.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.13.14 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Really? Didn't sound anything like Rikku. It was the only voice that stuck out to me
I heard that was because Tara Strong just did a different take/direction on Rikku's voice (not sure if it was from her suggestion or the voice director's though), Tara Strong has a pretty wide vocal range.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Meanwhile, I'm just hoping they don't stick with Rachael Leigh Cook as Tifa's English-language VA. I even quite like RLC as an actress but she's too bubbly or something as Tifa. Her cadence and inflections didn't seem to match Tifa's character in ACC and overacted several key lines. Exhibit A: "Dilly dally shilly shally"... yikes.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Meanwhile, I'm just hoping they don't stick with Rachael Leigh Cook as Tifa's English-language VA. I even quite like RLC as an actress but she's too bubbly or something as Tifa. Her cadence and inflections didn't seem to match Tifa's character in ACC and overacted several key lines. Exhibit A: "Dilly dally shilly shally"... yikes.

I think she's alright. It's mostly the writing and voice directing to blame.

tommy-wiseau-gif-3.gif

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

Nothing in Advent Children was handled well. That was just purely the fact that they were still in VA infancy, and they had a shit script to work with.

RLC has come into her own as Tifa through other games, especially Dissidia Duodecim.

Top Bottom