Final Fantasy VII Community Playthrough 2015

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Soo I'm now a little bit behind again, haha.

I like it when we're controlling Tifa and agree that it's a shame we don't control her for longer, but I can understand her taking care of Cloud is more of a priority.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Some difficult stuff coming up in this chapter. Kill me now. D:

First digging attempt brought out a Potion.

Second? Nothing.

Third? ...Nothing.

Fourth? Something called Buntline. Oh, it's one of Vincent's guns. Ok...

Got the Lunar Harp the fifth time. Better late than never, eh?

The Forgotten Capital and its creepy music. If there's a theme for this game I remember the most, this one stands out amongst the ones that do.

Actually feeling nervous, realising that I know what's about to come. This is practically one of the most memorable cutscenes in the video games industry after all.

Ok wow, that scene when you're just powerless to control Cloud. It's so scary. :(

I really want to see this in the remake. I want to see Cloud struggling to keep it together during the Jenova battle. I want to see the same with the party members that are with him at the time.

So the Jenova battle was a lot easier than I remember. Maybe I'm overpowered?

I had Barret and Tifa with me at the time. It's amazing how Barret looks like he's struggling to keep it together. I also never noticed how Tifa ran out of there in tears. Although they may seem like love rivals, it turns out that she thought highly of her. :/

And so endeth Disc 1...

Also like how the image for inserting Disc 2 is Aerith looking at the airship. Shame she'll never get to fly on it.

Watching the videos between Ifalna and Professor Gast is fascinating stuff. It's like... that hole in your party's heart? The one where Aerith is gone? It's cutting deeper, knowing Aerith will never get to watch these videos. And of course, it hurts us even more.

I also think this is the first hint that we truly see Jenova possibly becoming the central antagonist as opposed to Sephiroth, especially when we hear that the Planet can't heal itself as long as Jenova exists.

It amazes me that Shinra never got hold of these tapes. You'd have thought they'd scope the place out better, unless Gast hid them well. I can't wait to see his and Ifalna's moments in the remake. I didn't think much of them before this playthrough, but I'd like to see it expanded upon possibly. I feel like we only got 5 minutes and their relationship is a huge trigger for Aerith's life (obviously) and the consequences that come with this small family unit.

Oh wait, so Hojo did discover the videos. But I wonder if he showed them to Shinra? There must be copies still at the building. It provokes a lot of questions, this game...

Ohai, Elena. Let's go!

Oh shit, I didn't avoid her punch...

Woo, snowboarding mini game! I like this one. :D

..ok, I suck at this. I keep hitting the walls. D:

I really do wonder what this is going to be like in the remake. I hope it looks awesome.

I really hate the Great Glacier. I get lost all the time. :/

So I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone, but one of the enemies just poisoned its ally. WTAF. And then attacked it! :D

Another enemy attacked it. I know I wanted to get through these battles quickly, but I have no idea what's going on...

IT'S CARRYING ON. THEY'RE ATTACKING EACH OTHER. ONE JUST KILLED ITSELF.

It's these damn caves, I swear...

Heere we go. Boss battle with Vincent and Red! I somehow don't remember this part well.

Ah, so this is Schizo (very appropriate word). No wonder I don't remember him. He seems forgettable.

Ha, just had a fire attack used on Red and it was absorbed because he's wearing the appropriate amulet! Wow, forgot about that one. xD

Wow, take a look at the fancy shot of the Northern Crater. I can't wait to see THAT in the remake.

Also, would you believe me if I said I've only just used Cid in the party for the first time? He's been up to speed in levels, so thought that it's finally time to use him. :monster:

But now Tifa's in the party and it looks like he's out for Red, who's the weakest at level 40. Everyone else is at 41/42 with Cloud being at a mighty 47.

So yeah, that's this chapter over and done with. Time to continue with the next one. :awesome:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Escaping Junon
Is it me, or is the very small section towards the execution the only part in the game where you actually control Barret on the field?
For the party, this is the lowest point in the game, IMO. Aerith is dead, Cloud is MIA, Tifa and Barret are sentenced to death, the whereabouts of the others are unknown. I think that the escape from Junon also describes, in the overall story, how the party escapes from that “lowest point”. I like that about this portion of the game. I wouldn't mind if things would be made even more dire in the remake: even though the turn of events looks bad, there's never really anything coming close to desperation IMO (more specifically, when Tifa gets in the gas chamber, as soon as you see the guard dropping the key, you sense that you're going to find a way out). I think that section lacks a moment where the player would feel: “Ok, now we're really screwed”. It would also make Cait Sith's role (as well as Yuffie's and Cid's) all the more important.
That being said, I really like the escape. I wonder how Tifa's flight in the remake will be handled, because some of it relies a lot on cartoon physics. Something I would love in the remake: Scarlet slaps Tifa, then Tifa doesn't respond with a slap but with a jaw-dislocating punch.

In the search of Cloud
For some reason I've always felt like searching for Cloud was made too easy. Random NPCs give you pointers to Mideel pretty much whenever you go. Besides, as Lex mentioned, I would have like to spend a longer time with Tifa as the leader.
Anyway, to make do, I started the quest to catch chocobos. Managed to find two great chocobos and a wonderful chocobo! Will wait before I train them and breed them though (besides, I think the Gold Saucer is closed at this point, isn't it?).

Mideel
Who's the nice little frenzy fuzzy fluffy white chocobo? Yes you are! Oh you like to get some food? Oh yes you do! You like to be scratched behind the ears? Yes you do! And now I get one of the best materia in the game. I should try that with my cat sometimes.
I really like the sequence where you do find Cloud. I had Caith Sith and Yuffie in the party, they had good comments (Jackpot! Bingo!). Yuffie even showing empathy, who would've thunk? I like that she had something else than a bratty side to show.

Back to the airship
I like the way Cid was appointed as the new leader. “Pain in the ass, forget it.” “So this ship's gonna save the Planet, huh? Ain't that gonna be just a little tough?”

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
^ So....I forgot all about the white chocobo and never got the chance to scratch his ears. Should I just throw my hands in the air and stop playing now or is there a way to go back and scratch the scuttlebutt?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
All right, time to do this shindig...

And there we have the airship.

I don't get why Scarlet does the Heid-whatshisname laugh at that point.

I like how Rude purposely ignores Hojo and does his job. So naive.

Aaaand Jenova theme with a boss battle time!

I like how Tifa's all, "It's just an illusion!" You can tell she's hiding the truth...

The whole sequence of Sephiroth getting the Black Materia and the whole identity crisis for Cloud? I can't wait to see this in the remake. It's all fascinating stuff.

Ohhh, the whole scenario of Cloud coming to Midgar! Another one to see in the remake.

Ok, so Tifa's woken up after a week... now for a public execution. I still don't understand why Tifa couldn't have put up a fight. Maybe she's still in shock from everything that's happened.

Woo, go Cait Sith!

I'm surprised Heidegger can run, considering how plump he is. :monster:

I like Barret and Cait Sith working together. It's an unusual combo and they don't have much in common, but right now all they care about is Tifa.

Haha, I can't imagine Yuffie as a reporter...

Wow, I got out of the gas chair in record time with Tifa. Usually, it takes me forever!

Ok, I like that shot of Weapon being shot in the face. Please keep it the same in the remake. :wacky:

The outside where Tifa climbs out looks like a one-eyed monster. Never noticed that before. And strangely resembles Weapon...

Hahahaha, that shot of the soldier falling. CAN'T EVEN.

BITCH FIGHT WITH SCARLET. LET'S SETTLE THIS LIKE GIRLS.

Whilst Scarlet is talking, I do love how Tifa looks away as if she's bored. :monster:

Yes! I won the bitch slap fight and didn't get slapped once. :D

I want to see it in glorious HD. PLEEEASE.

Also, that's totally Cloud telling her to run. We all know it. I know it. It's canon. :awesome:

I wonder if Barret knew Tifa would get herself out of that jam? But who cares? WE HAVE THE AIRSHIP, ZOMG YAY.

"No way we can get offa this train we're on!" <333

So Cid called Tifa "sis". I never noticed this before. Odd. But cute how he sees her as a little sister, d'aww.

I think I need to explore the world a bit before letting Cid take over the party...

Interesting quote from Vincent: "An overpowering love may consume you in the end..." I'm sure he's alluding to Tifa's feelings for Cloud here, whether they be friendly and/or romantic.

Ok, yay. Time to fly the airship, whee.

So just went to see the guy sleeping in the cave. I've fought 392 times. Hmm.

And after travelling around for ages, I just decided to go to Mideel. :monster:

Aww, poor doggie. :(

And aww, Tifa's reaction to Cloud is heartbreaking. The way the music just changes, wow. :/

I've never realised this before, but I love how Barret admits he's realised that he's not leader material and calls out Cid, haha.

So chapter six done. Bring on the Corel mission! :awesome:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I've fallen a touch behind as I only just got to Disk 2, but I should catch up fairly quickly with my vastly over-leveled party (Level 53 Cloud, everyone else is in the upper 40s). To give you an idea, I one-shot JENOVA-Life with Meteorrain.

Everything's coming up power-leveler.

Lex

Administrator
I gave it another week between these chapters to give more people time to catch up. New one on friday :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Seven: Fish Go Blub

Chapter Target:
0742-Rocket-Town.png

Save outside Rocket Town, after the mission to the Underwater reactor.

Target Date: 11/08/2015

Curious about how they're going to handle the submarine and underwater segments in the remake, it should be interesting. This chapter also covers the infamous Lifestream sequence, with my favourite moment in the game.

Enjoy your respective revelations :monster:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Boohoo, I'm still unable to start the game since I've updated to Windows 10. I hope I'll find a solution before I fall behind too much.

BTW, Howl, I wanted to verify if it'd be possible to get the materia from the white chocobo later, but since I haven't been able to start the game, I can't be of any help, sorry.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Ah, god... the submarine mini-game.... I have hated that damn thing every time I've played through FF7. And I still hate it. I think it's the time limit that gets to me. I despise timed sequences.

Stopped by the sunken Gelnika and had a nice chat with Reno and Rude, though. So there's that... ;)

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I actually did really good at the submarine game this time around, but I do remember really hating it every-single other time that I've played it. :wacky:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've always loved the Submarine game. But I've always found the in-story one to be ridiculously easy. The target sub is RIGHT in front of you. 4 torpedoes, you win.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ Agreed.

So yeah I just got to Gaea's Cliff. Slow and steady... finishes the game. I always get stuck in this area because Glacier takes so long to traverse to get everything and you have to get it on this run because you can't go back. But I got Added Cut, Alexander, and exploited that little infinite Elixir for 12 elixirs worth until I screwed up and wasn't arsed to return to my pre-icicle inn save.

I'm making progress though!

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Righteo, time to get this chapter out of the way.

So I'm now resuming my save with a yellow chocobo and the airship just outside of Corel. Cid's in charge, so let's go!

(I should add my mum's dog Charlie is looking so curiously at the screen right now. He's so fascinated! :monster:)

Is just me or does Cid run really funny? It's so weird how he has his manly chest out and flapping his legs like he does...

Oh yeah, I also have Red and Yuffie with me. Not opting to call him Red XIII, although I left it in the game. It's a ballache to write each time. xD

Oh crap, not the train sequence! This is a part I really loathe. D:

I love how Red assumes Cid knows how to drive a train...

Like wow, how can they jump so far?

Ok, wow. I didn't crash into Mount Corel. I think that's a first for me!

As I'm heading to Fort Condor, I just noticed you can't walk from there to Junon anymore. I'm presuming it's got something to do with Weapon? Interesting to find out new stuff (well, to me) 18 years later...

So as predicted, the battle fell apart (although I didn't do too badly) and the invasion began. So I got a boss battle, woo.

Time to go see if Cloud's still lost his marbles in Mideel.

And Weapon arrives. Of course it does.

Oh shit, I got a game over. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

MY SECOND ONE. WTAF.

And now time to never get the hour and a bit I lost back. Woo. And to waste even more time. Double woo.

Ok, finally back where I started. And my God, I barely just escaped with Weapon. Hnnnnnnnnnnng.

I love Cloud's face as he and Tifa fall into the lifestream. I want to see that exact same face in the remake!

Also can't wait to see the scene with Tifa in the black space. I'd love to see it being even more dramatic than it already is. The poor girl's been through enough, but I think this particular segment is where we see the true strength of her character.

Here's where Tifa reveals the truth, oh boy.

I really want to see how they're going to do the reveal scenes in the remake.

Also, one more time.

"There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!"

"This train we on don't make no stops!" Hahaha.

Now we're going to this submarine. All I can think of is this song. :monster:

Woo boss battle time. Ohai, Reno!

I love how you get to either battle or take the guards prisoner. And IF you battle them, the Junon theme plays. D'aww! But I want experience, so I fought them. :monster:

Meh, not a really big fan of the submarine minigame. It took me a bit to get a handle of things.

And it's off to Rocket Town, we go

Plot's moving forward, Cloud's finally himself and now we have to stop Shinra... again!

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Eight: Into the Wild Green Yonder

Chapter Target:
xK6xnH7.jpg

The save point should be fairly obvious from the image :monster:

Target Date: 14/08/2015

We got some undahwatta 'splorin, some spacey reminiscin', some revelatin' and a big cuddly teddy bear made of metal to look up to at the end. Enjoy :monster:

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Lex, there's no image in your post. Juuust sayin'. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
There definitely is :monster:

To be sure though, I downloaded the image and uploaded it to my own imgur account, so it should be showing now if it wasn't before.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Yeah, it's definitely showing now. Thanks very much! <3

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Finally captured a fucking Chocobo. I wish I could say I figured it out quickly but there's video evidence to the contrary.

Lex

Administrator
I stand by my decision to name your playthrough Frustrating Fantasy VII because I have to fight so hard not to shout at you when we're recording it. Sometimes I lose the battle :monster:

Top Bottom