Final Fantasy VII Community Playthrough 2015

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I stand by my decision to name your playthrough Frustrating Fantasy VII because I have to fight so hard not to shout at you when we're recording it. Sometimes I lose the battle :monster:

You're mean. :(

Remember once upon a time you were also a newbie at this game.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Oh I forgot this one:

Once upon a time when I used a Gameshark to get all the things in all the games. Yes. I was a cheater for about 10 consecutive years once. :wacky:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
ps2-gameshark2.gif

Hello old friend, we had amazing times together.

Lex

Administrator
Way back in the olden olden days I had a gameshark-like thing for the original Playstation, except it was a cartridge you plugged into that unused port on the back of the console.

...To google!

Well, that wasn't hard to find at all. This is the one I had:

41KK-GBjEBL._SX385_.jpg

I remember it having very colourful menus. There were others too though:

mjh-ihzZubnFj5lcFF_9d0A.jpg

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I had the one that Carlie posted and I also had one like you mentioned Lex; it plugged into the back of the PS1. I also remember a book that I bought at the mall that had codes for tons of games. Ah nostalgia. :lol:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Way back in the olden olden days I had a gameshark-like thing for the original Playstation, except it was a cartridge you plugged into that unused port on the back of the console.

I had one of those too. :monster:

Used it to play pirated games (back when I still did that :P) and import games. Also allowed you to see FMVs on the game discs from the menu, which was neat (didn't work for all games though, FFVIII and IX for example).

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
And here go with chapter eight, deary me. :monster:

D'aww, Rocket Town has different music now. I feel so sad all of a sudden.

Ohai, Rude. Oh, we fighting? Good!

Ha, you were just too easy. :awesome:

I love Cid's theme <3

I do wonder how they're going to do the outer space stuff.

It's amazing how Cid comes up with the most beautiful speeches. He even got to tough ol' Barret, bless!

And then he's like, "...........I'm still thinking about that." Music gone. BADUMTISH.

Back to Cosmo Canyon, we go!

Also to the Forgotten City, yay. As if we needed anymore bad memories. Speaking of which, it does pose a question I should've thought earlier: just how graphic is Aerith's death going to be?

I really don't want to deal with the key and the submarine right now, so I'm just going to take on Godo in Wutai with Yuffie instead. :monster:

So I did the Wutai thing and now I just found Reno and Rude at that ship that sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Fun times.

I just wondered why I couldn't get in the airship. Oh yes, Weapon's risen from the sea. Or A Weapon, idk. Go go, Sister Ray? :monster:

Now I've just saved near the damn hunk of metal. It's felt like a relatively short chapter in comparison to the others, but then again, I've compensated by spending a lot of time doing other sidequests...

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hi guys, It's me again, the guy who's a disk and a half behind the rest of you.

Last time, we saved on floor 64 of Shinra building.
Didn't know you could actually use the treadmills.

"Feels like I got a little lighter" Heheheh.

They did a good job of squirreling away items for later but still nodding to them.

"Once the construction of Sector 6 finishes" hmm.

Tifa got furied and got a bunch of limits, used to be able to 'YEAH' consistently but lost the knack now.

Wow, is anybody running an 'NPCs that hit on Cloud' count.?

So, spying spying spying. A sector costs ten billion gil. That feeling you get from crushing it? Priceless.

Aeris takes her situation fairly well, under the circumstances. Cloud and Red got killed because I wasn't paying enough attention, Tifa finished off on her own.

Aaaand we're captured. Evil monologue in 3, 2 1.

Spammed 'leave it to me' because I've gotten the Aeris date every time I've played this, hoping for the Tifa one this time.

Poor Barret, He's having a bad week.

First time I played this sequence, I actually had a fair amount of difficulty because I didn't realise the lab exit was on the ground floor, so I wandered around for quite a while slowly being ground down by random encounters.

Hope they go full on survival horror in the remake, little cutscene of a Zenene gnawing on a corpse, ambushes, and forced encounters, could really build atmosphere here. Dialogue between the characters indicating nerves.

Saving under the stairs to floor 70 because I want to do the next sequence in one run. Be seeing you.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Newest update from a long time ago!

Flashback to last episode: When Cloud falls looking at Jenova, Tifa catches him. Nice touch.

SOLDIER 3rds are actually quite good fighters.

Minor plot hole: How does Sephiroth get his sword back? I used to have a headacanon that he accidentally left it behind, and that was why he had to kill the Zolom with a tree. He eventually bought a new one from that guy near the gold saucer.

I'll say this for Palmer, he's a survivor.

"I will control the world with fear. It takes too much to do it like my old man."

Sounds heroic, doesn't he?

AVALANCHE formally introduce themselves for some reason.

Why is it so important to finish Rufus, anyway?

"Likes to make speeches like his father" In retrospect, that's quite the sharp comment, Tifa.

What did Aeris just think of?

I decided to challenge myself by not swapping materia, and not healing except for Aeris' limit. Didn't quite manage it, had to use one potion on Barret in the elevator. First time I played, I found this bossfight pretty hard. Cloud moved to the back row and won with magic fine, though.

"Well, that ain't happening" Love how casual this is, when Aeris tries to give herself up. No big declaration, just treated like a fact. Barret's underrated.

Tifa's quite a good driver.

I'm barely paying attention to the bossfights, and thus actually finding them challenging. Got to hand it to the Shinra, they lock down a building pretty securely. Motor Ball came close to a TPK. I know, I suck.

No snarky remark for my Tifa/Barret team, shame. You only get it if you divide the party on gender lines.

Onward, into the world, and save.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Is the next chapter going to be posted soon? :)

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Nine: Finding Your Heart

Chapter Target:
Disc_change_to_2nd_crop.png

Save point should be fairly obvious. No we are not travelling back in time, just pretend that has a "3" on it since I can't find a proper image and can't take my own screenshots right now :monster:

Target Date: 21/08/2015

Get out your parachutes and prepare to dive back into Midgar in this most epic of epic chapters, featuring an optional (if you've done it right so far) Turks fight, musical reprisals from the beginning of the game, an epic series of boss fights and some optional details. And of course, that pretty rock underneath the Highwind.

If you thought other scenes would be important in the remake you're wrong. We all know it's this one that's going to set the internet ablaze (in a good way or bad way it's yet to be seen XD).

BRACE THYSELVES

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I am catching up to you all, and did this little video to share a piece of how I play with you all since I'm not equipped to stream.

tl;dw - I beat the final battle in Fort Condor using only Tristoners and Fire Catapults.

Lex

Administrator
I've cheated at that battle ever since I discovered the glitch to get it over with in like 30 seconds.

Place something, go down further, place something, go down further, place stuff at the bottom limit of the screen which kills the first enemy on screen - you win. I enjoyed watching that Jason <3

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Ten: Globetrotting for Goodies

Chapter Target:
Highwind-World-Map-FFVII.png

We don't have a real save point for this chapter, but make it anywhere that's a convenient pre-final assault save for you.

Chapter Target: 25/08/2015

This is it folks, the optional sidequest chapter! If you've been keeping up with things, good for you, maybe there's not too much for you to do in this chapter. You might want to consider entering the Northern Crater early to pick up some incredibly useful items and materia in preparation for the final battle.

Use this chapter to do a speedy catch up if you're behind and to mop up any remaining things you might want to do before completing the game. Our very last chapter starts next week, and one week from today the community playthrough will be over! Creys. Many creys.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Woo! Catch up chapter (since I got busy this week and fell behind again... XD).

Also... still need to go to Wutai for Yuffie's sidequest.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hello Nibelheim

There's actually quite a lot to do in Kalm,the obligatory looting spree, the one guy that's seen Sephiroth but can't be believed, lots of people with mixed feelings about Shinra.

So, the thing about Sephiroth that makes him stand out for me is his attitude, which we first see against this dragon. If Kuja or Kefka were to kill a dragon, it would be a display, showing off how powerful they are. With Sephiroth, it's just in his way, a display of power for the player, but not a deliberate demonstration by the character, just something he does.

Lots of really well done foreshadowing here, like:

"Is that a SOLDIER uniform?"
"Mom, I-" FLASH.

That little inconsistency of spending the same night in the inn and in Cloud's home. "We're short one bed, people that only half recognise him... it's well done.

People tend to assume that Hojo told Sephy about JENOVA, are we sure it wasn't Gast? It's him Sephy seeks answers from.

"I've hired a guide" Take that Before Crisis.

"If I Knew this was going to happen, I would have made mountain climbing off limits." Tifa's Dad is also this town's...Doctor? Clown? Mortician? Wish he'd finished that sentence.

Sephiroth fighting style is meaningful here too, he ends conflicts as quickly as possible with an appropriate technique -earth against ground based enemies, Ice against the flying ones.

Very sudden breakdown, nights of sleep deprivation, but why does he slaughter the town? It's not like anyone would have stopped him going right to the reactor. Presumably the group at the gates got in his way, but Zangan and Tifa's Dad both survive the initial attack.

Cloud's down in front of his own house, that's a real gut punch when you think about it. Smoke inhalation from trying to rescue his Mom? And people wonder why he has a 'protecting people' obsession later on, he's really hasn't been very lucky in keeping people he cares about safe.

Other guy is wonderfully matter of fact. "Hey, umm, am I gonna die?" Probably, buddy, sorry about that.

So, JENOVA can open the door seal?

I prefer the cramped JENOVA room rather than the giant chamber in CC, but I guess they did need space for a Canon Compliant bossfight.

Idea for remake, hopeless bossfight against Sephy, chance to really show off what he's capable of, either here or in the Lifestream (or even both).

And we're done with the flashback. But there's one interesting thing. An NPC outside the Inn (not the same guy as before) mentions that just now he saw a man in a black cape with a sword walking by. So, Sephiroth was there listening the whole time? Now there's a scary thought.

Also, what are they going to do in the remake about how the man in the black cape doesn't actually wear a black cape, just a big flappy coat?

Head outside Kalm and make a near identical save to the last one.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I'm in the Gold Chocobo farming phase but I've only just gotten past the underwater reactor. I want to do all this stuff sooner rather than later, particularly acquiring the Apocalypse Sword from the Ancient Forest. Now I have a mountain chocobo so I can knock that out, and the sub so I can go do the Gelnicka. When that's done I'll be able to breed my S rank mountain and river chocobo together to make the Black Chocobo and then we're on the home stretch. Zeio Nuts and Icicle Inn Luring.

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Eleven: Let's Mosey

Chapter Target:
hqdefault.jpg

The End!

Target Date: Whenever you get there!

It's the eeeeeennnnnnnd, dun dun dunnnnn. This is the big one really, when it comes to pondering how they're going to handle the remake of this beastly scene. Idk about you guys, but anything short of *that* face before the credits roll and I shall surely riot.

With the end of this chapter comes the end of our community playthrough sadly. I'll be updating this thread with a stream at some point later this week containing the final chapter to close us out. Gather up your motley crew and descend into the thick black and somehow incredibly shiny green of the Northern Crater to take on he who must not be confused with a female (and maybe take a literal visual trip through our solar system in the process).

Happy slaying!

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Oh dear lord, three chapters to catch up on? Challenge accepted. :monster:

Will probably try to finish this in the next week or so. Someone remind me by then if it's not done.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Well, I'm fuming. The memory slot for my game is gone! No idea how this has happened and I'm gutted since I wanted to finish the playthrough this time around. :(

If anyone's streaming the rest of the game, please let me know and I'll gladly watch. :/

Lex

Administrator
I'm still planning to stream the end chapter, just need to find an opportune time to do it :).

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hi folks! I might actually end up finishing chapter 2 before everyone is done!

My pacifism policy was tested by the muggers, but I resisted the urge to kill them all.

Chocobo synchronised dance routine for some reason.

What is Sephiroth doing, ominously walking by every piece of human habitation just to troll us? Why did he go to the Chocobo farm if he didn't need a Chocobo.

Why do I have Peacemaker so early in the game?

Chole says something interesting...the ranch has been super money driven ever since 'Dad and Mom died.' Hmm...

Got a Chocobo on the third attempt, as they ran away before I could do anything.

Looking forward to the Zolom in the remake, the whole sequence could really be special. Especially the corpse

"This Sephirioth guy is pretty strong, I'd say" Gee, y'think?

Flashback: A guy in Kalm said he worked in 'a coal mine called Mythril Mine'. Really, translator? Either that, or the mine owner had a weird sense of humour.

Turk cameo.
"Elena, you talk too much." You can see why she likes him, huh.
Reno has apparently sworn revenge.

Fort Condor guy is very polite. "Hey, we're hanging on by a thread, but go ahead and finish whatever you were doing."

"Your eyes are different." Hmm, how does random Fort Condor guy know SOLDIER eyes?

Huh. Before I savedm the guy upstairs was demanding money, afterwards he was not. Weird.

Immediately after being swindled by the Chocobo ranch, I gave all my money to a village. Dammit.

Almost didn't bother with Yuffie, changed my mind at the last second. She turned Barret into a frog. Surprised I remembered the responses first time.

Tried for zero casualties on my side, but lost one Defender to the Commander. Ah well.

Junon...I forgot you had to use magic to defeat the deadly Waterpolo.

Priscilla doesn't get up and walk away after her CPR, that's nice.

When you're addressing your inner voice as 'you again?' that's probably not a good sign.

"The other time." Way to be unspecific, Cloud.

Apparently nobody told Red Rufus wasn't dead. Hmm.

Okay, who gave the little girl the summon materia?

To this day I have not figured out how the dolphin jump works.

I like this sequence, even if I'm bad at it. That Captain is actually pretty decent and helpful, to be fair to them.

Interesting. Rude is drinking alone, and invites you to join him, the other Turks basically tell you to piss off. And Reno has a line "The President's safety is secure because we're here." In the bar. Just dripping diligence.

Like the shopkeepers reactions, some are super happy to see you, some won't sell at all.

Wow, Junon is full of dogs.

Is their actually 35 soldiers, or is that their scale?

Aced the sendoff, went aboard, you know how it goes. Tifa is the only one actually acting like a soldier.

Huh, didn't know the marines could knock you out.

Now that's an intro. Kill a Soldier, phase through the floor, say something ominous and knock everyone off their feet before flying away and leaving behind the most dangerous JENOVA until the endgame.

Ans she killed me. Wow. Tifa was my healer, she got stopped early, and Jenny kept spamming lasers while I was searching my inventory for potions. Luckily I have a recent save, but I won't finish the chapter today

Top Bottom