Sherlock Holmes: The many adventures of the world's greatest detective

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Let's face it, modern literature (and, for that matter, modern television and film) would be completely different without Sherlock Holmes. The influence of Doyle's creation on the detective story is obvious, so I won't even bother; what is somewhat surprising is its influence on other disparate genres as science fiction and the medical thriller. Various Doctor Who writers have admitted that the Doctor and the Master are based on Sherlock and Moriarty, respectively, and it doesn't take much digging to realise that Dr. Gregory House is a modern-day Sherlock Holmes.

But I'm going to use this thread to focus on the Holmes canon and the many sequels to and adaptations thereof. Right now the three most popular adaptations currently being produced seem to be a film series created by Guy Ritchie, a BBC series created by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, and a CBS series created by Robert Doherty. I will address these in order of the release of their first film or episode.

The film series stars Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock, Jude Law as Watson, Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, and Jared Harris as Professor James Moriarty. Critics of the films have contended that they reinvented Holmes as an action hero, but the original stories actually made it quite plain that Holmes could hold his own in a fight; the films have, however, played this aspect up to a certain extent. Downey seemed like the objectively best person to play Holmes, and this would arguably hold true until Benedict Cumberbatch took up the role in the BBC series.

The BBC series holds closest to the canon of the original stories, despite being set in modern times, and is by far the best. The episodes are all based on existing stories from the Holmes canon, and the dialogue has the wit and charm of the Doyle originals. The chemistry between Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Watson is a wonder to behold, and Irene Pulver as Adler and Andrew Scott as Moriarty are both stunning in their roles, with Scott turning in a bravura performance that has to rank as one of the creepiest villains in television history. There are only six episodes, but each runs for ninety minutes and has the production values of a good film. If you are new to the Holmes canon, this is certainly the place to begin.

Elementary, the CBS series, takes a much faster and looser approach with the Holmes canon, but nonetheless manages to be engaging enough to be worth watching. My rule of thumb is that Sherlock has a polyamorous relationship with Holmes canon, while Elementary's relationship is that of friends with benefits: It's clearly still Holmes, and makes plenty of allusions to aspects of the Holmes canon, but the stories are original rather than being derived from Doyle's stories. Even before the series started fans of the Doyle stories were howling from the rooftops about the producers' decision to make Watson into a woman, but Elementary is far from the first adaptation to do this, and it certainly won't be the last. Moreover, judging from various comments the creators have made it sounds like they won't be throwing in the obligatory romance between the two leads people seem to demand, which is a commendable decision, particularly in today's ratings-driven market. The series has also drawn criticism for setting the stories in modern times, as though the BBC series has a patent on the idea, but the BBC series is also far from the first adaptation to have done this. The series stars Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes (interestingly, Cumberbatch and Miller have starred together in a stage adaptation of Frankenstein) and Lucy Liu as Joan Watson. Adler has yet to be introduced, although she has been alluded to, and Moriarty has yet to be even alluded to (although he certainly will be introduced, probably by the season finale).

What triggered this thread's creation was this video (massive spoilers for Sherlock series two finale) someone on my friends feed linked to. It is by far the best explanation I have yet heard of a truly mind-boggling cliffhanger (which is made all the more frustrating by the fact that production on series three will not even begin until January 2013). If you have watched both series of Sherlock, I strongly recommend watching this.

Since Doyle's stories are in the public domain, there are too many adaptations of them to count, and numerous authors have written their own stories featuring the famous detective. I have yet to even scratch the surface of these, but anyone who wants to discuss them is welcome to do so here.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to discuss the three adaptations I have mentioned or any others you feel like. I am probably going to be spamming this thread with images from the BBC series just as I have the Doctor Who thread. You have been warned.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I watched BBC Sherlock and loved the series. :P

Naturally, I had to go here last week in London:

58991_554995261184527_277742450_n.jpg

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
(disclaimer: I'm not a traditional Sherlock Holmes fan (in fact I don't think I've ever read a single SH book), so don't expect this to be an 'educated' opinion)

I just finished watching Sherlock like 3 days ago and aoidjaoijefiojaeifojaef FEELS EVERYWHERE IT'S REALLY GOOD AND MARTIN FREEMAN IS ADORABLE AND BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH'S VOICE IS LIKE AURAL SEX ANDI FEEL LIKE THE ENTIRE SHOW COULD BE SUB-TITLED 'GAAAAAAAYYYY' i'm sorry i'm still in post-series fangirl mode and nothing hurts except EVERYTHING BECAUSE NO SERIES 3 FOR LIKE 2 YEARS JESUS FUCK

Ahem. Anyways. My only issue about
the theories about Sherlock jumping into the garbage truck is that the truck looks to be a good 2 or 3 metres from the roof and considering Sherlock pretty much just steps off the edge I can't see him having enough horizontal velocity to make it there. This could of course be handwaved but yeah.

I am a massive whore fan of RDJ and quite enjoyed both the movies, I thought the blatant homosexuality dynamic between RDJ and Jude Law was excellent and I've always enjoyed some good old-fashioned slow-mo fisticuffs. Also Stephen Fry as Mycroft ftw.

Elementary I've also been watching since it started and so far I'm enjoying it, though I'm not as in love with it (yet) as I am with the BBC version. I find the dynamic between Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu to be a bit more...downplayed, for lack of a better word. Which isn't a criticism; they just have a subtler chemistry than their modern counterparts and it gives it a bit of a different flavour.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Haven't seen any of the adaptions of Serlock Holmes, but I have read the first two books cover to cover and some cases from the other books. This is one of those classic series that make me wince when I think about how it could be adapted to bring it in line with modern ideas.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Adler has yet to be introduced, although she has been alluded to
Well, maybe we'll never meet her. That's somewhat disappointing. Then again, Sherlock might have been lying. It's hard to tell with Sherlock, especially this Sherlock.

I quite liked that episode, though. This show keeps me guessing, to a much larger extent than most other crime shows I've been watching. Castle still keeps me on my toes to a certain extent too.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Sherlock update:

Sherlock begin filming again in the New Year, expect a Series around Christmas time of 2013/ New Year 2014. . . .
Another year until we find out how
Sherlock survived
:sadpanda:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Still so long =(

Well, at least the quality makes up for it. They are essentially making tv movies.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Well, maybe we'll never meet her. That's somewhat disappointing. Then again, Sherlock might have been lying. It's hard to tell with Sherlock, especially this Sherlock.

Or she could have faked her death, considering this is Adler we're talking about. :monster: I think he was telling the truth, but you're right, it's hard to tell.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, both BBC Sherlock and the American Sherlock exist in a world where Sherlock Holmes never existed.

A few 'Descendants of Sherlock' series exist, as well as one 'Sherlock transported to the Modern day' that I can recall.

I wonder what a series focusing on a person named Sherlock Holmes trying to be Sherlock in a world where he had entered the public consciousness (either as fiction or as fictionalized hero) might be like.

Another thing that needs to happen- All the Watsons- or even just the most recent ones- together in their own series. DO IT.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
My brothers gave me the entire book series for Christmas... reading all the books one right after the other is not a good idea.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
How come I missed this thread!!!!

I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since I was six. Yes, six! Ever since I watched Ghibli's anime,
Everyone was an anthropomorfic canine: Holmes was a red fox, Watson was a Scottish Terrier, Moriarty was a wolf and Lestrade is said to be a bulldog (though looking at how tall and bulky he he I'd say he was a boxer). The rest of the cast are generic dogs.

The cases (26 in total) were losely based on the original ones by Doyle and there was a lot of input and personal touches by Miyazaki, like:

Mrs. Hudson was a young, beautiful widower instead of an eldery lady. Plans were made to make her even more involved in the resolution of the cases but were droped in the end. Even so, Mary Hudson was a Miyazaki girl through and through.

Action scenes and chases. Anyone who is familiar with Miyazaki's work knows what I'm talking about.

Moriarty! The first villain with whom I could sympathize with sometimes. He was a brilliant criminal, but also provided a great deal of comic relief (being the butt monkey, of course). He was accompanied by two thugs: Todd and Smiley, who weren't very brilliant.

Then, when I was old enough, I read the books. Not every single ones, only the major cases. I was surprised that they mentioned that Sherlock had a brother, because Mycroft didn't exist on Ghibli's version XD

And then the BBC's series came. I was a bit distrustful at first because it was set on modern times and because Sherlock didn't look like... Sherlock. But I gave it a chance and I must say that it's one of the best things I've ver done, mostly because I discovered Cumberbatch and Freeman. Even though each chapter is ninety minutes long they feel like only twenty! And Moriarty, OMG! Creepycreepycreepy! (I have his ringtone on my cell :awesome: )

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
So Elementary concluded its first season a few days ago.

Overall I would have to conclude that the series feels a lot less like Doyle's work than the BBC series does, but despite that, it's still a good series. It actually manages to feel more modern, possibly because the BBC series' faithfulness to the originals means the plots don't necessarily resemble a modern crime series. Which is fine for what Moffat and Gatiss are trying to do (in fact, I can't imagine a better adaptation of Doyle), but it also means it's easier to guess what's coming, even if you aren't familiar with Doyle's works (they've influenced so many crime stories by this point that the plot elements will still be familiar). I've gotten to where I've seen so many crime stories that I'm getting a bit jaded, but Elementary manages to keep me guessing every time.

Anyway, good series, would recommend it. Looking forward to the next season (though obviously not as much as to series 3 of Sherlock, but still :monster:).

Who wants to bet that Moriarty faked Irene Adler's death in order to send Sherlock into a tailspin? It seems like exactly the sort of thing he would do.

I've never enjoyed detective novels and I could never understand why people found Sherlock Holmes so interesting. In the couple of stories I read, the writing seemed quite stodgy, and not just because it's Victorian. Conan Doyle is all about the characters and the plot, not the beauty of the words, and IMOO he's one writer whose works are improved when made into movies or TV shows. I realise YMMV on this. I've loved both the BBC series and the films, mostly because of the wonderful casts and the great dialogue. RDJ and BC both great Sherlocks; Martin Freeman as Watson I think has the edge over Jude Law, and often steals scenes from Sherlocl himself. Myecroft in the BBC series is also splendid. Detective stories seem so much more bearable when I can watch handsome men at the same time!

Never seen Elementary.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Mycroft in the BBC series is perfect. He might even be up there with Freeman, Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I've never enjoyed detective novels and I could never understand why people found Sherlock Holmes so interesting. In the couple of stories I read, the writing seemed quite stodgy, and not just because it's Victorian. Conan Doyle is all about the characters and the plot, not the beauty of the words, and IMOO he's one writer whose works are improved when made into movies or TV shows. I realise YMMV on this. I've loved both the BBC series and the films, mostly because of the wonderful casts and the great dialogue. RDJ and BC both great Sherlocks; Martin Freeman as Watson I think has the edge over Jude Law, and often steals scenes from Sherlocl himself. Myecroft in the BBC series is also splendid. Detective stories seem so much more bearable when I can watch handsome men at the same time!

Never seen Elementary.

I never had that impression, maybe because I've only read the Spanish translation. Even so, have in mind that Doyle was a dentist, not a Literature teacher, so maybe that's why his writing might seem less than perfect.

Anyway, watching the live action adaptation is veeeery enjoyable. I can't thank my big bro enough for having recommended me the BBC one :awesome:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Who wants to bet that Moriarty faked Irene Adler's death in order to send Sherlock into a tailspin? It seems like exactly the sort of thing he would do.

I remember when she was first mentioned as dead I thought it had been faked too, but now I think she's actually dead. I mean it's pretty hard to fake 20 pints of blood :monster:

Anyhoo, the finale was a great cap to what was a solid first season. I'm definitely looking forward to season 2.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It is pretty hard to fake that many pints of blood, but maybe he had her captive and drew them from her over a long period of time. Not impossible. Though I guess if Sherlock had regular contact with her it wouldn't have been :monster:

And yeah, agreed on the finale being great.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
So apparently I was mistaken about that being the season finale of Elementary. There are at least four episodes after it, although one of those has already aired. It was pretty good.

In BBC series news, I found this pretty interesting. Lol'd at joke!Anderson.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
i've gotta catch up on elementary

the bbc sherlock just leaves a gross taste in my mouth tbh

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
the bbc sherlock just leaves a gross taste in my mouth tbh

with genuine curiousity: how come?

also @aaron yeah it was reviewed as a season finale in some places. I was just as surprised as you to discover 2 new eps on my DVR.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
with genuine curiousity: how come?

eeeh i'm not a big moffat fan to begin with (i stopped watching doctor who after asylum of the daleks because just, ugh) so there's that to start with

but i found sherlock and watson incredibly unlikable characters. and sometimes that's okay when the unlikable character is called out/unrewarded by their behavior but watson comes off as so...spineless, i guess? spineless while acting exasperated about nearly everything (also, i really dislike the "acting completely stupid for the sake of plot" thing they pulled in the second episode) i just could not work out why these characters supposedly enjoyed each other's company.

i was considering hopping back into it because okay, it was only 3 episodes and maybe there was room for improvement with the characters but then i saw "irene adler is a lesbian love interest of sherlock" and then just turned right the fuck around because NOPE

moffat you are already bad at writing female characters just please stop

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Bumping just to agree @ shitting all over Irene Adler's character. The whole point of her being "The Woman" originally was that she outsmarted and defeated Sherlock, something even Moriarty couldn't do. Not by getting butt naked and using feminine wiles, and letting someone else do all the thinking. Pretty weak to downgrade her into shipper bait like that IMO.

Gotta agree that Mycroft is a total boss though.

I have to say, Zee, that I totally see your point, and I'm torn two ways: when I first read your post I thought, yes, she's right.... But then I thought, no, I do see why they enjoy each other's company. Sherlock gives John that sense of danger, of living on the edge and being involved in exciting, tricky things that might blow up in his face at any moment, that he misses from his army days. Being an army doctor was a job he clearly loved. John gives Sherlock a sense of being connected to someone, maybe even a sense of being loved unconditionally which his parents apparently didn't provide for him, though that may possibly have been his own fault due to being blinded by sibling rivalry. Each fills a lack in the other. I don't know whether John would put up with Sherlock if he could go back to Afghanistan, but he can't, and without Sherlock his life would become a bottomless abyss of dullness.

I agree that Moffat is dreadful at writing women. The superlative acting in the series glosses over most weaknesses in the writing. I can't see how Sherlock could possibly have survived the finale and I fear that when the "truth" is revealed it will feel like a bit of a cheat to me.

Top Bottom