Front page article requirements

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm about to start the process of tidying up our old articles to fit our new theme, but before I do that, I thought it would be a good idea to lay down some guidelines/requirements for those articles - and anything we publish in the future - to adhere to.

This list is subject to change. I encourage everyone to speak up if they disagree with something. I am not anointing myself The Lifestream Content Filter here; I'd like there to be a consensus on these issues.

I'll also add that while this list might look a bit daunting, we shouldn't expect all our authors to know how to do all of it. Newspapers, magazines and major websites all employ editors to handle the bulk of this stuff, and we can follow a similar model so that our authors can get on with their most important job - creating content.

Titles:
  • Should fit onto:
    - one line on the article page itself,
    - two lines when it's the top story on the front page, and
    - three lines everywhere else.
    I've tested and tweaked font sizes extensively to try and make these limits equivalent to one another. The result is that your title should be at most 60 characters. 60 is also the recommended character limit for search engine optimisation (SEO).
  • Should be in sentence case. This means that, aside from proper nouns, only the first letter of the title is capitalised. Sentence case is:
    - easier to read than title case,
    - more consistent than title case,
    - recommended by web style guides, and
    - easy to change to title case later if we ever change our mind, while the reverse conversion is not so easy.
    This sentence uses sentence case (which you should also use). This Sentence Uses Title Case (Which You Should Avoid). If the article is about an original Lifestream creation, you can consider it a proper noun and use title case. For example, "The Lifestream Podcast" with a capital P.
  • Should be in the present tense with minimal articles, as is standard journalistic practice. Example: "Square Enix publishes new game" rather than "Square Enix published a new game". This only applies to news reports; you have more freedom with editorials, for example.
  • Should use American English for consistency. Your actual articles can use whichever variant of English you prefer.

Article text:
  • Should start off with a summary paragraph, in bold, where appropriate. This is known as a standfirst. It should contain a brief summary or introduction to the article, and it should be bold to make it typographically distinct from the rest of the text. I'm not hard-coding this into our CSS because there are times when it's not necessary. Use your discretion.
  • Should contain no arbitrary styling. You're welcome to use Wordpress's HTML editor instead of the visual editor, but don't use it to add any CSS, inline or otherwise. If you aren't happy with how your article looks when you preview it, talk to me or another editor and we'll help you to make it look better in a futureproof way.

Links:
  • Should not contain a "target" attribute. At present, lots of links contain the target="_blank" attribute. I understand the logic - if a TLS visitor clicks on a link, particularly an external one, we'd rather they open it in a new window so that they'll still have TLS open in the background. Unfortunately, this is a very outdated practice that breaks all sorts of web guidelines, the most important one being that users should be given as much control of their browser as possible. If they want to open a new tab, they can choose to do so for themselves by middle-clicking or right-clicking and selecting "open in new tab"; we shouldn't force that behaviour on them.
  • Should hide the actual URL. I've noticed that our podcast posts include the text, "Just visit http://www.thelifestream.net/forums". This is wrong on two levels: first, it includes "www.", which we don't normally use, because it can break cookies; and second, it looks sloppy. The URL should be in the hyperlink, obviously, but visitors should see "Just visit the Lifestream Forums" instead.

In-line images:
  • Should be centered on their own line or floated right with wrapping text if they're not full-width. Left-floated images disrupt the flow of text, so avoid those.
  • Should be in PNG format if they need transparency or need to be pixel-accurate, JPG otherwise. All screenshots, for example, should be JPGs. This is to keep the file size down and make our website load faster for visitors.
  • Should usually be captioned. The caption can be added from Wordpress's "add media" dialog or with the fig and figcaption HTML tags. If the image is otherwise referred to in the text, (e.g. "as you can see from the image on the right...") it probably doesn't need a caption.

Featured images:
  • Should exist! This might seem obvious, but lots of our articles don't have featured images, so I'm going to have to go back and add them.
  • Should have a 16:9 aspect ratio. I've made sure that the images will always display with this ratio across the site, wherever they appear. If you use something else, it'll get stretched or cropped. Common resolutions with this ratio are 1280x720 and 1920x1080.
  • Should be at least 837 pixels wide and 471 pixels high. These numbers aren't arbitrary: 837 is the maximum width of our article space (and hence the maximum size of the featured image), and 471 is the corresponding height in a 16:9 ratio. If it's easier for you to remember, aim for a one of the common resolutions I mentioned above. Always upload the highest resolution image you have, since Wordpress automatically generates smaller sizes to serve to visitors.
  • Should not contain text in the top third of the image. This is because text will be overlayed when they're in the top three articles on the front page. (I'm going to have to edit the Retrospective image as a result.)
  • Should generally not contain transparency. Transparent images look weird on the front page, especially when they're in the top three articles section, because a slight gradient overlay is applied to increase text readability.

The excerpt:
  • Should exist. Again, lots of our old articles don't have excerpts.
  • Should be no longer than 117 characters. Not only does this ensure that they won't take up too many lines on the front page, it means that our Social Media Manager can share them directly on Twitter without having to make any changes, since links are always truncated to 23 characters. (Twitter may eventually stop counting links towards the 140-character limit, but it hasn't yet.)

Tags and categories:
  • Should follow the rules I set out here. TL;DR: exactly one category per article and tags that refer to the games the article is about - don't just go making up your own tags like "Zack", because that's not how we use the system.

Search engine optimisation:
  • Will be filled out automatically when you hit "publish" unless you've entered the fields manually. Title is just the article title, Description is the excerpt and Keywords are the article tags, all of which you should have already written/chosen. You can add some generic keywords if you want, stuff like "Square Enix", "Final Fantasy", maybe "Cloud" or "Nobuo Uematsu", but it's probably not necessary.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I absolutely defer to your journalistic experience but I just want to go on record of saying I hate sentence case titles with a passion. :monster:

(To be clear I'm not disputing that, just griping lol.)

Everything else here looks great! Thanks for taking the time Flint!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I don't have any real journalistic experience, just internet experience, Wordpress experience, that sort of thing. Oh, and a passion for consistency, of course. ;)

I know some people here, including Tres, have real journalistic experience, and I'd like to hear from them.

Lex

Administrator
Well Tres will tell you to use sentence case.

I am uncomfortable with sentence case, journalistic experience be damned.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I dunno, he might be trained to use the APA style, which is title case. I prefer sentence case in all, uh, cases, but particularly so on the web. I find it helps me discern which words are the most important ones in a headline at a glance, and that it's easier on the eye. It's also by far the easiest to use from a writer's perspective because you don't have worry about which words are "important" and which aren't.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No, Lex is right. I definitely favor sentence case, per the Associated Press style I was trained in (for those unfamiliar, AP style and the APA style Flint referenced are not one and the same :monster:).

Overall, I like what you've suggested and what you're aiming for, Flint. Personally, though, I don't feel a need for everyone to use the same English style (whether American or British), and don't feel much need to establish guidelines for formatting and such. But I've always been of the opinion -- especially when it comes to bigger essays like my final LTD analysis, the Dissidia encyclopedia I did, or Shademp's amazing FFVII Unlocked series -- that each author should be able to explore their vision for their work and give it unique touches in presentation that gratify that vision.

Maybe those can be treated differently from basic news articles?

What are your feelings about that?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Oh, I completely agree; exceptions can be made for any article that needs them, and I tried to convey as much in my list.

If you were referring to the "no arbitrary styling" rule specifically, it's not trying to take away the ability of authors to customise their articles' appearance, just trying to get them to do it in a standardised way that can be easily changed later through stylesheets without having to manually edit dozens of articles (as would be the case if someone gives their text a hard-coded colour and then we change our theme in a few years' time).

Re: AP/APA, I was actually meaning to look up the AP style, but I'm on a university course which recommends either the IEEE or APA citation style, so APA got into my head and I looked that up instead. :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
Re: Sentence Case (olol), writing for printed press vs writing for Web should be taken into consideration. Even if press associations recommend sentence case, I'd still say general 'writing for Web' guidelines triumph them (yes! I do!) because I imagine these press associations to be a group of old alcoholic journalist farts sitting in a corner in tweed smoking their cigarettes drinking whiskey clinging to a paper newspaper talking about how the World Wide Web is killing off everything good in the world

...sorry, had to :monster:

My point is: Do AP and APA have separate guidelines for paper and Web? And, if not, feel free to ignore them anyway :monster:

(Look up 'writing for Web', I recommend it. Writing for Web is different from writing for paper, and a lot of them are directly opposite. Like, write 2 instead of two, write % instead of 'percent', use bullet points instead of descriptional texts, etc.)

fhtagn :monster:

Edit: Also, Flint, great job, I agree on everything :monster:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I don't know if AP (APA is actually kinda irrelevant since it's designed for scientific books and journals) has a web-specific style guide but using sentence case for titles does seem to be recommended in the web style guides I've seen, including the one I linked to earlier. It doesn't really matter which one we use. As for everything else you said, yes, good points all, but I think that should be more of an optional further reading task for authors than a requirement. :)

I appreciate the direction that we should go for (at least in general) American English. The motivation behind it is clear and it makes the choice easier for me when I'm having difficulties choosing how to spell a word like honor/honour. Great guide, Flint!

Fangu

Great Old One
As for everything else you said, yes, good points all, but I think that should be more of an optional further reading task for authors than a requirement. :)
Yeah agreed, I didn't mean to suggest all authors should read it, it was more an input to the ongoing discussion :monster:

Lex

Administrator
To be genuinely serious about it Flint, I don't want my short responses to seem like I'm shitting on your thread or post - I appreciate the sentiment of trying to make articles more cohesive across authors, and certainly am on board with visually important things like titles (and by that I mean if there's consensus that we should use sentence case, I will concede to that even though I think the competitor is more visually appealing).

Also super on board with making sure we don't customise too much to future-proof as much as possible. But I'm not going to start spelling words differently, and I wouldn't ask the murcans to do that either.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Yeah I think the American English is one that should probably be scrapped. The way in which we spell certain words can be just as big an identifying bit of our writing as the words which we choose to say. I can get on board with Sentence case if that's the consensus even though I'm not fond of it but I think there have been enough solid arguments against forcing American english. After all it's not like most of us Americans are unfamiliar with the european spelling differences. If you say armour, honour, colour or what have you we still know what you're saying.

And if somebody is too stupid to understand the cultural differences between the spelling well maybe they should git gud. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I couldn't really care less about the version of English, as long as it isn't British. :desucait:
Kidding, I don't think it really matters. If we were going to enforce one or the other, the readership does support using American, but I also can't see how it would be a problem if people used the English they use. Besides, it'll make us look multicultural. :monster:

And yeah, as for case, I mean, I know my only appreciable contribution to the front page looks way better in title case.

THE ENDGAME: Final Dungeons of the Final Fantasy Series Part XIV

vs

THE ENDGAME: Final dungeons of the Final Fantasy series part XIV

Bleh.

Lex

Administrator
Ugh yeah, sentence case is so fugly. It's annoying because I can feel us going in that direction due to ridiculous "properness" and I'm going to projectile vomit on every article I ever write because of it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Force: you could use title case for those articles because they are your own creations. I mentioned that in my original post. But if someone else on another website had written them instead and we decided to put up a news report about them, we would use something like "Final dungeons of the Final Fantasy series analysed".

It also seems like there isn't a consensus for sentence case, but a pretty even split, maybe even slightly in favour of title case. As I said, it doesn't really matter as long as we're consistent. Someone find me a web style guide that recommends title case. :P

Re: BrE/AmE, I guess we can compromise. We'll recommend AmE for people like Shademp who aren't sure what to use but say that both are acceptable. Titles should be in AmE though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Can we just do everything in caps and misspell everything? I mean use CLOD HAS GRATE COLLER IN FFR instead of color / colour.

Also I'm trolling, carry on :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Also I'm trolling, carry on :monster:

What, you trolling? Nevar. :monster:

OT:

Yeah I think as far as "branded" things there should be some uniformity. For one I still think we waffle a bit on whether we are called TheLifestream.Net or The Lifestream of The Lifestream Forums. Might address that in the style guide too.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
@Force - Fair enough.

Here's an example in case it's still unclear to anyone: the BBC produced a report called Price of Football 2016 - title case because it's their original creation. Then they wrote about their report in an article called Price of Football 2016: What do results mean for fans, clubs & the sport? - sentence case for everything after the colon because it's not part of the report's title.

Or something closer to home: Unused Text, title case; Part 10 of the Unused Text series has now arrived!, sentence case. Simple. :)

@JT - We actually came to an agreement on that: We call ourselves The Lifestream in anything published on this site, but if we promote ourselves elsewhere, we are TheLifestream.net. Personally I'd rather use the former everywhere but it's not worth getting into that argument again.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
@JT - We actually came to an agreement on that: We call ourselves The Lifestream in anything published on this site, but if we promote ourselves elsewhere, we are TheLifestream.net. Personally I'd rather use the former everywhere but it's not worth getting into that argument again.

And of course one thing that should never ever be used is TLS.net because that's not us. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Now you mention it, we should do more to appeal to millennials. I propose using a lot of references to smoking weed, repeating the number 420 a lot, use the word swag and yolo, post maymays, do dabs, all that dank shit.

Top Bottom