Front page article requirements

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It really is an ill-chosen age range, though. I was born in 1986 as well, and my childhood is barely comparable to my girlfriend's (she was born in 1993). I definitely have next to nothing in common with someone who wasn't even born yet on 9/11, or was too young to remember it.

I sorry, yo, but 80s and 90s kids don't belong in with 2000s kids.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'd say millennials are the generation that grew up with the internets, who were born in it, molded by it etc.

I can be elitist about playing outside at least :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I agree with that definition. It has more utility than lumping in kids who were adults or close to it before they ever accessed the Internet (and even then, did so on shitty dial-up).

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Generations usually last between 15 to 20 years anyways. I don't think 1980 is a good starting point for the millennial generation since they turned 18 in the 90's. A better starting point might be 1982 since that's when the Commodore 64 came out, the first virus was discovered and adobe systems was founded. There hasn't been an exact end point agreed but what has been agreed on is that anyone born after 9/11 belongs to Generation Z.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Guys... stop getting my hopes up that there might be some actual constructive, on-topic discussion in here. -_-

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Fangu and I mentioned "further reading" earlier in this thread, and I came across an article today which may be of interest to some of you: 6 Surprising Bad Practices That Hurt Dyslexic Users. Don't be put off by the clickbaity title; it's a short but informative list.

Aside from that, you may have noticed I've taken on the title of Technical Editor. Simply put, I see my job as making our front page content look (a) its best and (b) consistent. If you're an author, or if you want to be an author, I'm here to help you, not criticise you. Read the guidelines in the first post of this thread once but then put them to back of your mind; the whole point of me having this job is so that you can get on with the important business of creating content without having to worry about all the technical details. Don't be alarmed if you see me making minor edits to your work – I'll ask you before making any big changes. You can also ask me if you need help with anything. :)

Fangu

Great Old One
Funny you bring this up, because today I had an email about one of our customers saying our website isn't compatible with reading lists. Well, we made a best effort in 2014 to make sure it is, but people have made new content since then, so I'm not surprised at all we had that inquiry. Most of all, I am happy. I was the only person in my class to do Universal Design as a volunter subject at my college - simply because most people don't care about catering to people with "special needs" (I'm putting that in brackets because Universal Design is about making something available to everyone) because you tend to assume everyone is like you (ie not blind, colour blind, dyslexic, having reading problems etc) and so you make shit based on that. Anyway I'm really happy I got that email because every other person in that email line was like 'huh what is this do we have this' and so I got to explain shit and link shit and it felt like that UD course wasn't wasted at all
should also probably mention I got an A

So yeah, when it was known back in 2014 when we were redesigning the site that we had someone on board to help us with how we word shit, people in the company generally laughed because they thought it absurd that we were paying someone to help us write basic text, but - writing for web, and writing for everyone in particular, is actually an art form so to say, and it shouldn't be frowned upon.

I mean it still feels kind of like "catering to the 5%" but the thing is, once you get into it and realise how easy it is to in fact make things available to pretty much everyone, you just do it automatically.

/ rant

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Absolutely; it becomes a habit. Like whenever I'm choosing a text colour / background colour combination for TLS or anywhere else, it's just instinctive to check the contrast ratio on an accessibility website. It only takes a minute but it might make the difference between someone being able to read the content and not being able to read it. I'm pretty sure our forum fails on that count, for what it's worth. :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've loosened up the guidelines on some areas, notably inline images. I sometimes let the great be the enemy of the good, i.e. get carried away with things that don't really matter, so go ahead and use centered less-than-full-size images to your heart's desire. :P

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I just noticed we don't have a tag for FFVII Remake. Shouldn't FFVII and VIIR have separate ones?

Lex

Administrator
We have a category for VII remake which is the really important bit. I'm not opposed to a Remake tag but if you're thinking about someone using terms to search the VIIR category serves that function already.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah IDK if / whether tags are still relevant these days, I hardly see them anymore. Categories >>> tags.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I think VIIR did originally have its own tag until I decided a category made more sense. We don't have separate tags for other remade games.

Top Bottom