DESPAIR NOT FANS OF YE FANTASY

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
FOR YET THERE IS STILL HOPE
"If you think about how long it's already taken to develop this game, to have to have included all of those other aspects, it would have been too long. So what we did instead was define what was truly important to the game, and include those aspects and really emphasize those items we wanted to include," he continued. "We had to consider the amount of time it took to create the game engine, which we built from scratch, as well, and so with that additional time included we had to decide what we could and couldn't do."

However, this will not continue for future games, he said. "Now that we have that base technology... The next time you see a Final Fantasy, we might be able to pack in more of those elements that existed in the past. And I also think that a game doesn't need to have all of those items in the future. We can create additional downloadable content for people to add, too. It doesn't have to come with that game itself."

So far Square Enix has not announced any plans for Final Fantasy XIII DLC, though the game's creators have left the door open to the possibility in prior interviews.

When asked if the team should have striven to improve elements such as towns, rather than cut them, Toriyama laughed and said "You can wait longer for the game where we can improve those elements!"

However, he said, "The next title that we will create will have those elements, and the improvements to those elements that you were mentioning. However, it's important for us to choose what we can and cannot include, and that's the role of the director to decide what we can accomplish in that amount of time."

The full interview with Toriyama will appear on Gamasutra in the near future.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=27619

Translation, don't let Toriyama direct the next game.

Well, it looks like Tennyo and I were right though, they freaked about production and development time and decided to cut and run with what they could.

But hey, at least this is a sign that it won't become a trend.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I said it would necessarily be a trend/it'd be Toriyama's style/the next game might have those elements now they've got the resources made.

I'm Snow, and all that stuff was my idea :awesome:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I said it would necessarily be a trend/it'd be Toriyama's style/the next game might have those elements now they've got the resources made.

I'm Snow, and all that stuff was my idea :awesome:

You're a poozer.

Go make love to your collection of weaboo junk

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Maybe it'll follow the PS2 pattern.

First, you get the linear FF. Then the MMORPG FF. Then the big, explorable sidequest-filled FF. :wacky:
Is this becoming the SOP for every new console now? :P

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
When asked if the team should have striven to improve elements such as towns, rather than cut them, Toriyama laughed and said "You can wait longer for the game where we can improve those elements!"

I'm confused on exactly what this means.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Maybe it'll follow the PS2 pattern.

First, you get the linear FF. Then the MMORPG FF. Then the big, explorable sidequest-filled FF. :wacky:
Is this becoming the SOP for every new console now? :P

You know, that's a really valid point. Huh. It kinda is a trend...

Meh, I feel maybe 16% more hopeful, but I'll actually be happy when I see it with my own eyes.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
If Noruma delivers on all he promised in Versus, then I'm good.

Versus is probably going to come out long after 14 anyway.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
That sadly doesn't give me any hope at all....that this company and director can see that as an OK way to operate really really pisses me off.

If they weren't farting around with so many games in the mix and having their teams work on 1 rock for 3 days that appears for 3 seconds in a cutscene (yes this happened http://ps3.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/8864/final-fantasy-xiii ) they would have more time and money to make one great game.

I don't buy all these crap excuses at all. They are simply taking the piss out of us.

“That’s how that team works, everybody spends a lot of their days polishing rocks.”

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I think it means that either they might release DLC to improve the existing game, or that we all have to wait for later games that will improve on the previous ones. Basically, either you can wait for a game for these elements or you can play FFXIII for now.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That sadly doesn't give me any hope at all....that this company and director can see that as an OK way to operate really really pisses me off.

If they weren't farting around with so many games in the mix and having their teams work on 1 rock for 3 days that appears for 3 seconds in a cutscene (yes this happened http://ps3.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/8864/final-fantasy-xiii ) they would have more time and money to make one great game.

I don't buy all these crap excuses at all. They are simply taking the piss out of us.

It's a swing and a miss. STRIKE.

So okay. Let's have SE recall all of our games and refund the money, then we can wait a year or two more for the game and let the project start to impede on the company's financial situation. :monster:

Who cares about trying to work with what you can and concentrating on what you know you can do well instead. Let's just pack it all in willy nilly. The more the better. Who cares if everything suffers as a whole because of it? :monster:

SE's money grows on trees, don't you know? And they exist in an alternate dimension where time doesn't matter and there are no deadlines to meet. These games aren't made in the real world.

Nevermind the fact that they concentrated on making what they could do work. I want more regardless of whether nor not it works at all. :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad

So okay. Let's have SE recall all of our games and refund the money, then we can wait a year or two more for the game and let the project start to impede on the company's financial situation. :monster:

Who cares about trying to work with what you can and concentrating on what you know you can do well instead. Let's just pack it all in willy nilly. The more the better. Who cares if everything suffers as a whole because of it? :monster:

SE's money grows on trees, don't you know? And they exist in an alternate dimension where time doesn't matter and there are no deadlines to meet. These games aren't made in the real world.

Nevermind the fact that they concentrated on making what they could do work. I want more regardless of whether nor not it works at all. :monster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKayLq1d5Bs

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

They failed with their time and money, in terms of allocating resources and producing shit. And now you've failed too.

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
How? Because I don't agree with you?

It is good to know you think polishing a rock for 3 days is time and resources well spent. :awesome: It is absolutely preposterous, so why not admit it?

“That’s how that team works, everybody spends a lot of their days polishing rocks.”

The irony was lost on the one who spoke these words.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I wouldn't call FFXIII a complete failure or anything like that by any means. Not perfect by any means, either, but, hmm...

You know what, I'll reserve judgment until I completely finish the game.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
SE needs to license CRYENGINE 3.

They'd get godly graphics and performance with simulatenous development on PS3, 360, and PC in realtime.

The shit you could do with Cryengine 2 is still freaking beautiful. Imagine what a company with renowned artists like SE could do with an engine like that.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
SE needs to license CRYENGINE 3.

They'd get godly graphics and performance with simulatenous development on PS3, 360, and PC in realtime.

The shit you could do with Cryengine 2 is still freaking beautiful. Imagine what a company with renowned artists like SE could do with an engine like that.

Create a world so beautiful it'd be an insult to God? :awesome:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
It is good to know you think polishing a rock for 3 days is time and resources well spent. :awesome: It is absolutely preposterous, so why not admit it?

The irony was lost on the one who spoke these words.

Uh, maybe they wanted to make sure the environment looked perfect?

Top Bottom