100 Essential Lines of Dialogue

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
After seeing that FFVII in 5 minutes thing, I went through the script to find the 100 most essential lines of dialogue in FFVII. imo

I have no idea why I did this. Insomnia?

I tried to keep it to what could fit inside of a dialogue box at any given moment, but some might be a smidge longer -- the script I copy/pasted was pretty bad. I also tried to find stuff that was both expository and atmospheric, but unfortunately "Let's mosey" and Cid's tea-based lines were last minute cuts. Shockingly, most of the characters contribute essential lines of dialogue (in terms of world-building, character development and plot advancement). The only minor characters of note missing are Elena, Rude, Gast, and Zack (although he gets one mention from someone else). I wish I could have included them. The first draft (about an hour ago) was 150 lines... but none of those guys say or do anything important enough. Sorry.

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The leader of AVLANCHE: Our target's the North Mako Reactor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: EX-SOLDIER, huh? Don't trust ya![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: If that plate weren't there... we could see the sky.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Shut up! I don't care about either Shinra or SOLDIER! But don't get me wrong! I don't care about AVALANCHE or the Planet for that matter![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Young Cloud: I'm going to be the best there is, just like Sephiroth![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Young Tifa: Hey, why don't we make a promise? Umm, if you get really famous and I'm ever in a bind... You came save me, all right?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: Our next target's the Sector 5 Reactor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Flower Girl: you okay? This is a church in the Sector 5 slums. It suddenly fell on top of me. It really gave me a scare.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: The Turks are an organization in Shinra. They scout for possible candidates for SOLDIER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: I'm, home mom. This is Cloud. My bodyguard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: Corneo is looking for a bride. Everyday, he gets three girls, chooses one of them, and then… [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Corneo: Shinra's trying to crush a small rebel group called AVALANCHE, and want to infiltrate their hideout. And they're really going to crush them...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]President Shinra: We'll destroy Sector 7 and report that AVALANCHE did it. Then we'll send in the rescue operation care of Shinra, Inc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: It's dangerous here! Everyone get away from the pillar, quickly! Everyone get out of Sector 7![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tseng: Our orders were to find and catch the last remaining Ancient.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: Biggs... Wedge... Jessie...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Elmyra: Aerith is an Ancient. The sole survivor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: We're going right to Shinra Headquarters. You gotta be prepared for the worst.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: So there are times when even you fight for other people. I am impressed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: I remember him. That Hojo guy. He's in charge of the Shinra's Science Department.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Red XIII: An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]President Shinra: Cetra, or the Ancients will show us the way to the 'Promised Land.' I'm expecting a lot out of her.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: He's dead... The leader of Shinra, Inc. is dead…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]24.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: Vice President Rufus. The President's son.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rufus: I'll control the world with fear. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]26.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Sephiroth is alive. I... I have to settle the score.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]27.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: After working with Sephiroth on several missions, we became friends.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: Our mission is to investigate an old Mako reactor. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]29.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Nibelheim... That's where I'm from.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: My mother is Jenova. She died right after she gave birth to me. My father... What does it matter...?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]31.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Tifa! You're the guide?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: Materia. When you condense Mako energy, materia is produced.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]33.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: An Ancient named Jenova was found in the geological stratum of 2000 years ago. The Jenova Project. The Jenova Project wanted to produce people with the powers of the Ancients... no, the Cetra! ...I am the one that was produced.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]34.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: Mother, let's take this planet back together. I've thought of a great idea. Let's go to the Promised Land.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]35.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Sephiroth… My family! My hometown! How could you do this to them!?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: I want to know the truth. I wanted to know what happened then. I challenged Sephiroth and lived why didn't he kill me?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]37.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mystery Ninja: I know you want my help because I'm so good! You want me to go with you?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]38.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: You think Rufus is thinking about crossing the ocean from here, too?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]39.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rufus: Once the world gets out that Sephiroth's here, Cloud and his friends will show up, too.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]40.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hojo: Hmm! I believe we're both after the same goal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]41.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Citizen 2: You got a lot of balls comin' back here! Look at this place! It's all your fault North Corel turned into a garbage heap![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]42.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: But more than Shinra, I couldn't forgive myself. Never should've gone along with the building of the reactor…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]43.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cait Sith: I'm comin' with you no matter WHAT you say![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]44.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Barret: I knew you were alive somewhere... we had the same operation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]45.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dyne: ...it wasn't just my arm... back then... I lost something irreplaceable. I don't know where I went wrong...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]46.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bugenhagen: That was a scream from this planet. Didn't you hear it? As if to say... I hurt, I suffer......[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]47.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bugenhagen: The spirits that return to the Planet, merge with one another and roam the Planet. They roam, converge, and divide, becoming a swell, called the 'Lifestream'. Lifestream... In other words, a path of energy of the souls roaming the Planet. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]48.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bugenhagen: Everyday Mako reactors suck up Spirit energy, diminishing it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]49.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bugenhagen: You thought that he was a coward and ran away. But he, alone risked his life to protect Cosmo Canyon. That is your father, Seto.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: What---!! This was all supposed to be burnt down, right?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]51.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Jenova, a calamity from the skies? You mean she wasn't an Ancient!?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]52.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Vincent: My long sleep has given me time to atone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]53.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cid: I was supposed to be the first man in space with this. Everyday, it tilts a little bit more. At this rate, I don't know which will come first, this thing falling down or me gettin' outta here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]54.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shera: He pushed the Emergency Shut Down switch, aborting the mission, to save my life. After that, the Space Program was cut back and launch was canceled.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]55.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cid: So, where we headed? Rufus was goin' after Sephiroth towards the Temple of the Ancients.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]56.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Corneo took Yuffie from us. And without Yuffie there's no way we'll get our materia back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]57.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Corneo: If I push this button, they'll fall upside down, and we'll have a SQUASHED TOMATOES![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]58.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Reno: No, today we're off duty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]59.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Godo: I knew you were looking for Materia for the good of Wutai. But, the reason I hide my strength now, is also for the good of Wutai... And now, I realize both are necessary... Strength without determination means nothing. And determination without strength is equally useless...![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: I think Hojo did something to those men in the Black Capes. But I don't know what it has to do with Sephiroth though...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]61.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: You want to go on a date?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]62.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: First off, it bothered me how you looked exactly like. Two completely different people, but look exactly the same. The way you walk, gesture... I think I must have seen him again, in you... But you're different. Things are different...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]63.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cait Sith: Then, what are you goin' to do? Kill me? You'd just be wastin' your time if you tried. This body's just a toy anyway. My real body's at Shinra Headquarters in Midgar. I'm controllin' this toy cat from there.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]64.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]65.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Ha ha ha... Black Materia. Ha ha ha... Call Meteor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]66.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aerith: Then, I'll be going now. I'll come back when it's all over.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]67.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Aerith is gone. Aerith will no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry... or get angry...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]68.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: I came here by my own free will... Or so I thought. However... To tell the truth, I'm afraid of myself. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]69.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Heidegger: This is the Promised Land the President has been searching for!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]70.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sephiroth: What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, this is the illusion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]71.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: All that talk of Hojo constructing you is a lie. Don't we have our memories together? Being kids together, starlit night...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]72.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hojo: ...Weapon. Monsters created by the Planet. It appears when the Planet is in danger, reducing everything to nothingness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]73.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: I wasn't pursuing Sephiroth. I was being summoned by Sephiroth. All the anger and hatred I bore him, made it impossible for me to ever forget him. That and what he gave me. Sephiroth? I'm here. And I brought you the Black Materia. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]74.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Scarlet: The execution may have been unsuccessful, but your death by falling from here and crashing into the water below still might be pretty exciting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]75.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cid: Welcome to my airship - the Highwind.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]76.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: Meteor is coming, and Weapon is on the rampage... At a time like this, I don't know what I'm supposed to do...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]77.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: He's alive...! Cloud... Cloud's alive!! Cloud!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]78.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Doctor: I'll say it again, he's got Mako poisoning. I've never seen a case this bad. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]79.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: I don't care about anything else, only Cloud... I... want to be by his side...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]80.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cid: The Lifestream is gushing up from below the surface of the earth! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]81.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: We'll work together to try and get the real you back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]82.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: That's right! It was Zack who came to Nibelheim with Sephiroth! Then, where were you, Cloud? Cloud... Did you... see it all?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]83.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: I'm going to live my life without pretending.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]84.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Crew 3: We're gonna load a Materia bomb in this and blow up Meteor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]85.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cid: Man... it's the real thing... I'm really here in outer space... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]86.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Rufus and the other plan was a failure...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]87.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: What did Aeris know? Why did she face Sephiroth without running away?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]88.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bugenhagen: Holy... the ultimate White Magic. Magic that might stand against Meteor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]89.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: Aerith's voice has already reached the Planet. Just look at the glow of the White Materia. But... how about Holy? How come Holy isn't moving? Why?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]90.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cait Sith: Weapon came out of the sea and is heading straight for Midgar. The new weapon should stop him, right? I don't know if it's ready or not...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]91.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Operator: Sir! Weapon's been defeated!! The barrier has disappeared![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]92.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hojo: Ha, ha, ha...... Just you wait, Sephiroth. I'll give you all the Mako you want.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]93.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Heidegger: The President is dead! Now I'm doing things my way! Ghaa haah hah hah![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]94.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hojo: What will Sephiroth think when he finds out I'm his father? Always looking down on me like that. HA, HA, HA...!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]95.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Vincent: The one who should have slept was... you, Hojo![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]96.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cait Sith: Shinra's... finished.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]97.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: We'll beat Sephiroth... Then, if we don't release the power of Holy in seven days... There won't be a planet left to protect.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]98.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tifa: Cloud... Words aren't the only thing that tell people what you're thinking...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]99.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Red XIII: It's too late for Holy. Meteor is approaching the Planet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]100. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cloud: ...Lifestream.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Agree? Disagree? THREADS, people. we has them. :aah:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
"Zack: Cloud, finish Sephiroth off."

Should be in it.

Also "Let's Mosey" and "Ain't no gettin' offa this train we on"

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Nice work! Now we should gather up as many forum members as possible, narrate it, mix in a little background music and release it as a podcast :)

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
i'll add
Sephiroth:" Professor Gast, Why you didn't tell me anything? Why did you die?"
Jenova:" beacause you are.....a puppet"
Vincent:" that was my sin. and this body is my punishment"

edit: fixed jenova's lines :monster:

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Vincent: Defeat Sephiroth... Defeat the son of that beloved woman... Am I on the verge of committing another sin...? Or am I atoning as best I can for only watching...?

Vincent: Our battlefield is now beneath the earth... The gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth...

Vincent fangirl? Me? Nah.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
It's sad how that's Jenova's only line and they screwed it up.

You had one job, localization team. ONE JOB.

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
[FONT=&quot]45.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dyne: ...it wasn't just my arm... back then... I lost something irreplaceable. I don't know where I went wrong...[/FONT]

I was so touched at seeing this one. That line just gets me and applies to more characters than Dyne.

Truth be told I think Cloud's revenge is a bit overmuch. #26-29 are pretty much setting up things encapsulated by #35: Cloud's hometown is important to the plot, and Cloud feels betrayed by Sephiroth. Well, I'd probably keep #26 to make it clear that it's still his feeling in the present day, but #73 kind of shows that too. (Also: wow, nearly in the seventies before Disc 1 ends. The game really is very concentrated in that one.)

I think I'd want to include this line:

Cloud: ...I can't go without my friends.

Or something similar, because it says a lot about Cloud's real nature and because friendship seems important to FFVII, though it's not preached about or anything. "We're friends, right?" is the reason he's even alive and not a mindless copy, AVALANCHE holds each other together when they're having their crises with companionship.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Here's another exchange that's essential charactisation.

"……mumble…mumble…head west……" - Professor Hojo

"He's mumbling slowly... That must means he's hiding something!" - Aerith Gainsborough

I like to think this is how Hojo does all his Ancient experiments. Supersubtle.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Tifa: Papa… Sephiroth!? Sephiroth did this to you, didn't he!? Sephiroth… SOLDIER… Mako Reactors… Shinra… Everything! I hate them all!
Goes hand in hand nicely with Cloud's line about his family and hometown, but maybe that's a bit superfluous in regards to the Nibelheim incident.

Also needs more references to Cloud's crossdressing. :monster:

Can I give a shot at making my own 100 lines of dialogue or would that be me trying to derail your efforts?

Top Bottom