20 JRPGs you must play

Vespa

❍
AKA
ワスプ
PtC8pc0.gif

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I disagree with almost everything you said... but that gif is fucking magic. Well played. Well played indeed.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Alotta 'pinions going on in this fred

ワスプ;549369 said:
FFVI is fucking boring.
To me the worst part was the high encounter rate and how the difficulty level would suddenly spike, like with the floating island. In that sense the game could become boring at times.

ワスプ;549369 said:
Kingdom Hearts II is just trash.
I wouldn't call it "trash", but it is a button-masher filled with design flaws. One is much better off playing the first game and then completely ignoring the rest, in my opinion.

Ni no Kuni was a joke.
I can agree that the game's fourth act was a joke. The game continued when it shouldn't have. The plot also moved needlessly slow during the first three acts.
Even so, the exquisite graphics and the occassional sense of adventure is enough for me to recommend it to anyone who wants to become immersed in "another world". I would place Ni no Kuni on a top 20 list for this reason alone.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The battles of FFVI are probably the main reason I haven't completed the game. There are too many of them, they are too repetitive (I usually just end up entering the same Blitz commands with Sabin every round, for example) and the music gets irritating very quickly.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Hmmm... with more specific flaws pointed out, I no longer disagree with your points quite so adamantly :monster: I mean, just going off of what Flint said concerning FFVI, once you get Sabin's really good Blitzes there's no reason to have him do anything else ever again really (unless you just wanna see him suplex shit of course).

I still scoff at your placing Mother 3 (despite its amazeballsness) above Earthbound :awesome:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I disagreed with just about everything he said save for comments about games I haven't played. But this,

Phantasy Star IV? Sega can't make good RPGs

You're out of your mind. Not only is Phantasy Star IV awesome, Sega has made great RPGs. Valkyria Chronicles, anyone?

Vespa

❍
AKA
ワスプ
All the FF games before VII were pretty bad. VI was basically better than its predecessors, even if it was boring itself. Though VI lacks red mages. But despite red mages, I and II are just terrible. III was... bad still. V wasn't as bad, beats IV.

Tactics, VII, IX, X: the good games.

I just want my red mages back Square Enix. I don't care what stupid story you have you make or what ridiculous visuals you have to display.

AvecAloes

Donator
I think V was a really fun FF. I really enjoyed playing it! Great job system, the writing made me laugh several times, and I loved Faris.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Hey guise Lost Odyssey was pretty cash

Old-school JRPG beefed up to the Unreal Engine, and to complete the old-school feeling, 3 disc changes! :3

Splintered

unsavory tart
Hey guise Lost Odyssey was pretty cash

Old-school JRPG beefed up to the Unreal Engine, and to complete the old-school feeling, 3 disc changes! :3

I had some issues with the battles/difficulty curve in Lost Odyssey, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Man I love that game. Good characters, good music, good world, good story.

Absolute batshit character design. Everything.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
LIIIIIIIIRUUUUUUUUUM ;-;

Vespa

❍
AKA
ワスプ
Gotta hate console exclusives. Would pick Valkyria Chronicles over Lost Odyssey any day though.

Would be nice to a see a Final Fantasy as good as Lost Odyssey.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Ew. I do not agree with this list. Half of those games suck.

In no particular order:

1. Mother 3
2. Persona 2
3. Persona 4
4. SMT: Strange Journey
5. SMT: Nocturne
6. Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
7. Chrono Trigger
8. Vagrant Story
9. FFTactics
10. Breath of Fire 2
11. Grandia 1