Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
too late i'm throwing down

Ajafx5y.gif

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm on the "Calling" side of this argument. I was a fan of Gerard Way's voice prior to Safe and Sound being a thing and don't get me wrong - I actually love the song. Like I really like it. But in terms of the song I want to hear at the end of Advent Children, it's always going to be Calling. Because that's basically the "OG" (OM? XD) canon song that plays at the end of AC, for me.

Nah, I disagree. Calling is just some old song from 1989 that they pasted onto the end of the movie. Safe and Sound was actually written for it. That's way more "canon," in my eyes.

Safe and Sound is something one might actually want to sing along with.

I think this is a weird plus point to give it since it's in English and Calling is in Japanese, I'm not sure the tracks can be compared like that unless you're like... equally fluent in both languages.

I'm referring mostly to the "whoa-ohs" rather than the words. And that it's just more interesting, musically.

For the record this is me just realising (after looking it up) that "Safe and Sound" was apparently only ever on the ACC release in Japan? Which is kind of insane because the physical blu-ray I have has Safe and Sound on it. I must have been sent a Japanese version (I bought it from Amazon not too long ago, I had the DVD before that). Which makes no sense because everything else about it is in English. Huh.

You never knew, after us bitching about it all the time, haha? The movie came out when I was studying in Japan so that's the version I have, but I immediately preferred it and have found it stupid that it never saw release in the West. Especially since it's in English and all.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i actually had no idea that safe and sound wasn't used outside of japan, i had assumed it was made with the english market in mind (being in english and featuring gerald way)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I must have been sent a Japanese version (I bought it from Amazon not too long ago, I had the DVD before that). Which makes no sense because everything else about it is in English. Huh.

That's weird. You mean like the menus and such? My Japanese Blu has an English audio track but everything else is Japanese.

I must have been sent a Japanese version (I bought it from Amazon not too long ago, I had the DVD before that). Which makes no sense because everything else about it is in English. Huh.

That's weird. You mean like the menus and such? My Japanese Blu has an English audio track but everything else is Japanese.
ok wtf is going on

isQDSMi.png

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So just for shits and giggles (and because I already owned five different releases of the damn thing prior to this anyway... what's one more?) I picked this up. Yeah... just the original Advent Children Complete blu-ray release in new packaging. But it did comes with an UltraViolet digital copy code, which I don't think the first release did. Now I guess I own seven different releases... so there's that, I guess.

You bought Advent Children seven times?:huh:

ok wtf is going on

Well, Shademp, people here are arguing which song for the movie is better-Calling or Safe and Sound. Personally, this argument is pointless and stupid. Some people like Calling better, while others like Safe and Sound better, but really it's nothing to argue about. People like different soundtracks.

So why shove their likes to other people who like opposite or different things, especially music for crying out loud?

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
You bought Advent Children seven times?:huh:

Well... Pretty much.

1. I imported the Japanese DVD because the US release wasn't happening right away and I wanted to watch the damn thing.

2. I then bought the US DVD because there was no English dub or subtitles on the Japanese release.

3. Then they released the collectors edition DVD with the script and the nifty postcard and stuff, so I bought that.

4. Then Gamestop had it on UMD for cheap, so I bought that to watch on road trips on my PSP.

5. THEN the first AC Complete bluray came out, so I bought that, too.

6. Then I bought THIS bluray release.

7. The bluray came with a code for a digital copy... So I have that now, too.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Come on Channy

You know it's true.

Only one of these songs has Kyosuke Himuro and Gerard Way driving muscle cars in the desert.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
For me, there's no contest over which song I prefer. "Safe & Sound" fits Cloud's journey better, fits the tone of the movie's ending better, and actually makes me feel something.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
No one's going to hit me if I say I never really cared for either song, are they? *hides*

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
No one's going to hit me if I say I never really cared for either song, are they? *hides*

I rarely keep going for the credits when watching AC, I was barely aware of difference before this topic started.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I prefer Calling myself. The footage used during the song (of Cloud riding through Hawaii) was originally envisioned for Calling, so I think it works better. Safe and Sound is nice though, I like how it was used in one of ACC's trailers.

To clarify, the Japanese release of ACC featured English voice acting, but did not include English subtitles (very strange, I know). The Japanese release also featured Safe and Sound. The Western release included English voice acting, English subtitles, and played Calling during the final credits.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

I'm like you Kionae. I've never cared much about either song either.
PICK A SIDE KIONAE WE'RE AT WAR

/jk

:properhug:

Why force Kionae to pick a side if she doesn't want to. You can't force people to pick sides over something as silly as this. That's ridiculous. The bad thing about picking sides is that you don't know which side is the right one, so you're always stuck in the middle.

Top Bottom