Alex's Nominee Q and A thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
In the Moderator Q and A threads, every member is allowed to ask potential moderator candidates questions to more completely gauge how you think they'd act as a mod. They are free to answer or not answer these questions as they like. I would ask that you keep the questions and answers fairly serious, since you're trying to determine if each nominee will be a good fit as a moderator. Now, don't think you can't have any fun with this, just don't completely lose the plot for jokes I'd also ask that you not use these threads to pursue vendettas or cause trouble, as it would be rude to the nominees.
Threads will remain open for half a week, after which a voting thread will be opened.

That said, this is the Q and A thread for Alex, so get to it.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
a member reports a post, complaining that the gif posted within gives them a migraine. how do you respond?

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
A member claims they are being treated unfairly by certain moderators on the forum.
What do you do?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
a member reports a post, complaining that the gif posted within gives them a migraine. how do you respond?

That would really depend entirely on the nature of the gif posted. In the rare case that it was an epilepsy inducing kaleidescope of neon horror, then I doubt there would be any objection to just deleting the offending image outright from the post and leaving a message in the edit explaining why the action was taken.

95% of the time though, this isn't going to be the case and the tough breaks are that if you don't want the migraine, don't stare at the gif. Just scroll right over it and continue reading the thread. No harm is done. people who find the gif funny can continue to do so and you can continue reading the thread migraine-free. This scenario isn't really the kind of thing that merits any significant action.

That said, if there was any malicious intent behind either of the two then scenarios then it probably merits some kind of warnings or infractions. Spamming seizure and migraine inducing gifs is enough to give the entire forum a headache.
A member claims they are being treated unfairly by certain moderators on the forum.
What do you do?

First of all, this is the kind of thing that should absolutely be handled by a staff member outside of the one in question. There was been a bit of a history with this kind of sentiment on the forum, so having a third party investigate the accusations would do a lot to assuage any potential outrage or drama before the shitstorm whips up something fierce. How things are seen to be handled is as important as how they are actually handled when it comes to keeping the peace.

Secondly its important to understand what the offended party means by 'picked on'. It can come up as a range of different types of behaviour, some much more severe than others. If you find that its always a particular moderator getting on your back with infractions and warnings then maybe its on you to look more carefully at the type of posts you make.

If its something more serious, such as being personally derisive or dismissive of the member then that staff member probably should be approached in private to find out what his deal with member X is.

The ideal resolution to this would be to encourage both member and staffer together on an external medium. Something like msn or skype or even the new private feedback forum (though this wouldn't be my first choice). That way they can have a more casual, free-flowing dialogue about what the issue really is, free from the member/staff/drama/enormously-longwinded-posts trappings of the forum. As we've seen recently, simply changing to a different program for communication can make the world of difference to how problems are resolved.

The key is to make sure that the dialogue does not remain locked up in the staff room never to be seen again, the two parties actually need to get in touch with each other and hash out whatever problem they might have. Letting these kinds of things fester is neither healthy for them as people or the forum as a whole.

I didn't even know I had been nominated till this morning ;.;

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

Depends on the extent of the dickery as to how many times I'd tell them to cut it out, but if it's flagrantly or repeatedly breaching forum rules then I wouldn't hesitate to clip them around the ear with an infraction or a warning.

Seriously, a warning given on an internet forum isn't exactly going to spoil a friendship. Nobody's going to get sore over it in the long run.

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
If selected, will you be as lazy as you were on ACF? :awesomonster:

Trick question. I was never lazy as such. Just deprived of responsibilities. After drawing up a set of well received rules for the spam section (mostly along the lines of 'don't be shit') the section pretty much ran itself :oscar:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
You've said that you want to see "transparency and better communication" from the staff. What would you do personally, and what suggestions, if any, would you put to the staff team as a whole, to put that into practice?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Trick question. I was never lazy as such as deprived of responsibilities. After drawing up a set of well received rules for the spam section (mostly along the lines of 'don't be shit') the section pretty much ran itself :oscar:

I can personally attest to this. While I was admin over on ACF, Alex was actually a very good and competent member of staff. During the twilight of that forum's existence, he helped deal with a lot of the drama that happened amongst staff and members (particularly Ice Prince) and was very helpful.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
You've said that you want to see "transparency and better communication" from the staff. What would you do personally, and what suggestions, if any, would you put to the staff team as a whole, to put that into practice?

In a way, this question is already being handled through the actions of the current staff team. Or at least the core concept is being addressed. For the longest time there has been a fairly significant divide between the members and staff for literally no good reason other than that they don't talk to each other or spend a lot of time with each other outside of snarling at each other whenever drama flares up. Its easy to forget that a significant portion of the forum's members don't use the IRC service.

This arbitrary segregation is thankfully on the way to being healed; with the promise of more group chats and forum-wide activities that put everyone on a level-playing field where nobody is in the position of authority and we're all just hanging out as bros.

This doesn't actually answer either one of the points in your question, but it's definitely worthwhile mentioning because this division had led to so much alienation and bad blood on both sides of the fence. It's necessary to understand the context of why I feel that there's need for more transparency, better communication and most importantly, trust. In my opinion, tust is primarily built by communication and getting to know people. The more time we spend talking with each other and shooting the shit, then the less time we'll be spending in our two base camps sniping at each other.

You'll be beginning to see a running theme in my responses here when I say that obviously the best way to make things more transparent is to communicate with the members. Off the top of my head a good example of this could be at the end of every month, staff could produce a quick list or notification to the entire forum giving members the lowdown on what was brought up in staff, any ideas for the site itself, frontpage content developed vs frontpage goals, concerns with trends in the community, contacts made at other final fantasy websites, etc. Following it up with a scheduled chat for members to drop by and give their two cents about what was achieved in that month, how it was handled and what they could be tasking themselves with working towards next month.

Another idea that springs to mind immediately would be: if member X reports member Y and member X feels that the warning was unjust or has extreme misgivings about the way in which staff arrived at it's conclusion, then (so long as all parties consented) staff could declassify the thread generated by the report so that the staff thought process at arriving at the warning could be visible to everyone. Member X might not necessarily agree with what s/he sees, but at least they would be able to see how staff arrived at their conclusion and take some solace in the fact his warning was not the product of foul play.

These aren't really radical proposals. But small changes like these would go a long way to help repairing some of TLS' trust issues.

Last edited:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Follow-up question to my first one:

I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
So, one member is harassing another through visitor messages. How would you get involved, if at all?
1. Depends on the state of the harassment and what's been said that has lead to it. At the end of the day it might be something as simple as getting the two members to hash out their differences together, putting each other on their respective ignore lists or handing out infractions/temp bans for more serious cases. It would all depend on context.
Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

2. Take a good look around the staff room and see what staff's reaction has been to recent events. It would give me a good position to evaluate where our mindset is now and what I could bring to the table to improve it.

Then I'd write Destrillians or something.

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?

3. Even if its outside our jurisdiction to stop, I would ensure that all of staff are aware of where the shit has been spread and what calibre of shit is being peddled (pic related). Not a whole lot to be done after that. Maybe crack a few jokes in that person's direction. These are internet forums, there's no need for all this clandestine cloak and dagger nonsense. Oftentimes humour is the best way to pay attention to how absurd a situation is.
Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

4. I'm well aware that outside of encouraging others to make use of the RP section and promoting various projects within it, this isn't exactly my strong suit. I'm very aware of what my strengths and weaknesses are.

Keeping the forum an active and entertaining place to post ties itself nicely into keeping the website and its various projects moving forward. People will be more likely to get engaged with a busy forum than a stagnant one.

I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?

5. Tell those two chuckleheads to cut that right out if its starting to break the rules and when the drama stops being entertaining for all the onlookers. If it persists/gets worse, warnings, infractions, ignore lists would be the order of the day.

Much like the first question in this post, I'd try and ferret out the root of the problem and get some statements from people who are in the know. Whilst it is important to get the necessary context for the underlying dispute (how else will it be resolved in the long run, obvs), it can't be used as an excuse for persistent flaming and generally disruptive behaviour.

stiles

Call me a TREASURE HUNTER!
AKA
Locke
is this seriously tho. a democratic forum??? ARE YOU TRYING TO BE LIKE AMERICA?

stiles

AKA
Locke
but yes this shit is BANANAS are these questions being asked and is this guy real life answering them like this????

"HOW TO INCLUDE SHY MEMBERS?????"

what even am i reading

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
but yes this shit is BANANAS are these questions being asked and is this guy real life answering them like this????

"HOW TO INCLUDE SHY MEMBERS?????"

what even am i reading

Get ahold of yourself, woman. This is realest shit you will ever done see.

stiles

AKA
Locke
lol, so i was searching for teen wolf references on the forum, and this is the only one that came up. didnt even know youd posted this the other day when i actually had teen wolf stuff on :P

teen wolf is hawt tho <3 <3 <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom