Arianna's Nominee Q and A thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
In the Moderator Q and A threads, every member is allowed to ask potential moderator candidates questions to more completely gauge how you think they'd act as a mod. They are free to answer or not answer these questions as they like. I would ask that you keep the questions and answers fairly serious, since you're trying to determine if each nominee will be a good fit as a moderator. Now, don't think you can't have any fun with this, just don't completely lose the plot for jokes I'd also ask that you not use these threads to pursue vendettas or cause trouble, as it would be rude to the nominees.
Threads will remain open for half a week, after which a voting thread will be opened.

That said, this is the Q and A thread for Arianna, so get to it.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
a member feels they have been treated unfairly by the moderation team, but does not wish to discuss the matter with the mods at large, but only by you. how do you respond?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
someone posts something highly offensive to everyone on the board. they apologize and say that their actions were clouded by poor judgement due to stress/depression/etc. What would you do?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
You didn't post at all during the recent drama. Have you read through it? If so, how do you think the staff could have responded better to it?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
A prickly character posts a potential flame, though it hasn't been reported, its clear that it could lead to trouble. How do you deal with this? Bearing in mind there is a good chance a hissyfit may result?

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I have read all the questions, and ask to give me a day to think and respond. Good questions, definitely. Thank you for asking them.

My overall statement is this: I think the forum staff (moderators as well as any staff in a supporting role) should work as a team, and this team does not exclude the members at large. It's not going to help anyone (let alone the forum as a whole) if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Thing is, groups need leaders. That said, I do hope to be as fair, open and impartial for and to all as possible. I'm human, so I can't say that I'm going to be the best person in the world to all of you all of the time, but I can say I will do my best to handle each issue independently (unless issues prove to be connected) and find out as best as I can what's going on and mediate thoroughly with all sides involved. I plan to be approachable to all members, and I will do my best to be open about processes and decisions.

Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

I feel confident in answering this question right away: learn more about the job. The first thing I wish to do is read up on any information for the (new, old and present) moderators, rules, regulations. Then I would like to read/discuss how other mods (presently modding) handle things, consider situations, etc. Also, I would do my best to learn from past mistakes by present and past moderators to see where things went wrong, in my and other mods opinions. Definitely I would take the time to read up and make sure I'm knowledgeable on the ins and outs of the job to the best of my ability. From here, I would bring up my own ideas and see how they run by the other mods. In the end, I would do my best to consider the two sides of the forum members, my hopes being to bring some balance. (I know a lot of people feel they've been unfairly censored.)

Last edited:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Follow-up question to my first one:

I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

How well do you see yourself being able to keep commitments and communicate actively with the memberbase?

Last edited:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
a member feels they have been treated unfairly by the moderation team, but does not wish to discuss the matter with the mods at large, but only by you. how do you respond?

I would listen to the member's side of things, but would make it a point to explain that I may not be able to change anything. That is the only fair thing to do, in my opinion. Everyone deserves to be listened to, and as much as it may be a pain in the butt to consider, but most instances usually have more than one side to them. That said, just because that is true, doesn't mean that one moderator can really overstep another (or should.) I would then bring what I've been told to the other moderators and see what can be done for this member.

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

I would definitely ask the member (in private, via PM) what's the deal with the attitude. Honestly, I can't see anything less as fair or logical. Depending on how dire the situation is, I may even put a short suspension (ban) on the person. Of course, it being a friend would be hard and pull at the emotions, but I don't believe that should stop me from doing what's right.

For anyone: If the person feels s/he is just and was only speaking her/his mind, I would have to remind the person that some members' opinions are and this moderator's opinion is against her/him, and that despite it being her/his truth, it's not going to have a place here on the forum. If the person does not agree to drop the situation, then the ban is going to have to be longer. I would have to go from there if the person is showing any attitude that just may be a problem in the future and we can deal with it in the present since the person is already in a suspension/ban. The person may lose her/his membership to the forum. There are some people who live just to cause some issues for others, and while I would do what I could to find out everyones' part in whatever drama is going on, I realize there are some people who just may not be right for the forum at all/at that time.

someone posts something highly offensive to everyone on the board. they apologize and say that their actions were clouded by poor judgement due to stress/depression/etc. What would you do?

While this does happen I'm sure, it would depend on the severity of the situation. How you described it, I would again wish to inquire, but have to put a suspension/ban on the person until I know what's going on, due to the fact that it seems it brought the forum to an uproar. (Again, such actions I would hope to leave to the very last resort, but realize sometimes that is not going to be the case.)

A prickly character posts a potential flame, though it hasn't been reported, its clear that it could lead to trouble. How do you deal with this? Bearing in mind there is a good chance a hissyfit may result?

I would have to stick to my guns and do what I would do: find out what's going on with the member. If it's - as you describe - really bad, then I may remove the post and put a suspension/ban on the member. As for any 'hissyfit' that would erupt, I would have to stay strong through it. I understand my opinion is not always popular, but as long as I'm doing what I feel is right - this is all I can do.

Honestly, in regards to repeat offenders, I do not believe should be given more chances to cause drama. In my opinion, as they say, once shame on me, twice shame on you. Two or three times, you're out.

I will answer the other questions tomorrow.

Last edited:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
slowpoke-pokemon.serendipityThumb.gif
???

Last edited:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
The fact that it took you a week to come up with that answers my question. Thank you for your time. :)

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
The fact that it took you a week to come up with that answers my question. Thank you for your time. :)

Fuck you. I contacted you via PM, so you know I saw it. I decided to be more discrete, but eh, since that does not work here.

Last edited:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Fuck you. I contacted you via PM, so you know I saw it. I decided to be more discrete, but eh, since that does not work here.

woah woah woah no need to get so offended. First of all it was a joke and you were the one who decided to bring it back to this thread by trying to be funny? I think that's what you were trying to do. Anyway I don't see the point in getting angry, chill out bro.

Also I agree with Scott. You guys should've closed and slummed these after the voting finished. Hurry up slowpokes. :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom