"Big Bertha" Meaning (No Spoilers)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I probably wasn't the only one who saw the name "Big Bertha" as a gun for a black man and felt a bit weirded out. It sounds a bit "Aunt Jemima"-ey, subtly racist in a minstrel kind of way... Turns out, I was projecting all of that! It's not a microaggression, rather a reference to one of the largest artillery pieces ever fielded: WWI's Minenwerfer-Gerät, nicknamed -- you guessed it -- BIG BERTHA.

Since it was German, it's probably pronounced "Ber-taa" but the fact that Barret can wield one of the most impressive cannons ever... on his arm... is pretty awesome. The more you know!

I knew that!

I was having a conversation with some Turks fans recently, and in response to something one of them said (can't remember what) I said, "Because Heidegger is a Nazi?"

And they went Whaaaat?

And I said, "Yes, Martin Heidegger, one of the most influential philosophers of the 20th century, and a Nazi apologist."

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
Since it was German, it's probably pronounced "Ber-taa" but the fact that Barret can wield one of the most impressive cannons ever... on his arm... is pretty awesome. The more you know!
I don't know if you suggest it already but, Barret could be a kind of anagram of Bertha !

Reactions: Ite

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
"Barrett" is the name of a US firearms manufacturer, most known for their .50 cal rifle. Wallace is a reference to William Wallace, the Scottish Freedom fighter made famous to most in Braveheart.

The Sister Ray cannon is named after a Velvet Underground song I believe.

Top Bottom