Black Mages Wish List

Nikkolas

Banned
As I'm sure most of us know there exists a band called The Black Mages who give us rockified versions of our favorite FF tracks.

..or do they?

Which songs from an FF are you dying for them to cover and hope it's a good one?

For example, I feel the most annoyed because they've done Maybe I'm A Lion and The Extreme but have yet to do a cover of the best battle theme from the end of FFVIII.

So who else agrees? Or do you have other songs you really want re-imagined?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I want to see the Black Mages re-imagined as a good band before they start tackling music

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
from the top of my head, "The Dark Messenger".

Yeah, this. Grand Cross is great, but Dark Messenger would be epic. :monster:

A cover of "Searching for Friends" from FFVI would be awesome to hear, too.

Also, has anyone heard of Live House SSH? They do some pretty decent covers of FF music and other RPGs.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Their first album was alright. Bits of their second were too. But the third was pure power metal churned straight out of the cement mixer of ultimate fail.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I want to hear them do one of the tracks from FFXII. Particularly the theme for when you confront an Esper, or maybe...the theme when climbing Mt. Bur-Omisace. I'm curious as to what their rendition would be.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, this. Grand Cross is great, but Dark Messenger would be epic. :monster:

A cover of "Searching for Friends" from FFVI would be awesome to hear, too.
These + Tyran Castle from Chrono Trigger, which Uematsu wrote. That said I agree with Alex's assessment of their output.

Nikkolas

Banned
Yeah, this. I recently re-downloaded them out of curiosity, and they're pretty meh. Corny, too.

Their corniness is one of their best traits. The Skies Above was a nice song but without the cheese it wouldn't be memorable.

And what's wrong with power metal?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Nothing when it's done well.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The problem, of course, is that the Black Mages' third album wasn't done particularly well.

Auron

Omnipotent Destroyer
AKA
Sir_Auron
I don't get why some of you are being so picky, I didn't think the third album was bad in the least (but I can agree the first two were better), but meh, to each his own. I really liked "Bombing Mission", "Assault of the Silver Dragons" and "Darkness and Starlight" (well, most of it).

As for what I'd like them to do next, I gotta go with popular choice right now, "Dark Messenger", and I'd REALLY like to hear them do "You Are Not Alone", Cid's theme, Nanaki's theme, and oddly enough (I know this "WTF" worthy) Aerith's theme. Hmmm.... O.o

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Oh yes it's being picky to not be a fan of bad music just because it has a Final Fantasy theme on it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lol picky. I've got well over 12.000 songs in my library (which will more than likely double by the end of the year at this rate), I've got the right to be 'picky', :monster:. I'm guessing the correct term would be "I'm uncertain why some of you do not consider TBM to be good music". Preferably with a listing of facts why TBM is, in your opinion, a good band, draw some comparisons to similar bands, etc.

I'll quit being a pretentious bastard now, kthx.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yes, you do that squid beard. This isn't about if the Black Mages is a good band, its about what songs you want to hear them play. Gtfo if you don't think they're good and have songs to recommend. :@

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I'll quit being a pretentious bastard now, kthx.
Nah you did good dood, saved me the trouble.

Not that it's any trouble but ykno :awesome:

Nikkolas

Banned
As for what I'd like them to do next, I gotta go with popular choice right now, "Dark Messenger", and I'd REALLY like to hear them do "You Are Not Alone", Cid's theme, Nanaki's theme, and oddly enough (I know this "WTF" worthy) Aerith's theme. Hmmm.... O.o

I like Cid's Theme and Red XIII's theme but although they sound the same, have the same beat or whatever, I thought Great Warrior

And Sending A Dream into the Universe

were better and would make better songs if the BM redid them. Just IMO of course. It's all a friendly exchange of opinions here folks. :)

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Tyrano Lair would be amazing. :awesome: I'd also like to hear Devil's Lab, although I would want it to preserve the dead-on factory sound that it has. In fact there's just a whole pile from VI that I would like to hear a halfway decent cover of.

I do have to admit that there are only a handful BM songs I listen to with any frequency, and I agree that their latest album wasn't great. That said, I don't find them to be as terribad as others have suggested, and I'm not one to criticize anybody's tastes. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I techno dance to "Devil's Lab." One of the best tracks out of FFVI, seriously. :wacky:

FFVI seriously had a truly awesome soundtrack. Black Mages need to do more pieces from it. :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
imho, FFVI has the best soundtrack of the series, followed by FFIX.

Top Bottom