• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Borderlands 2 Community Playthrough (Intro Post and Guide—also, surprise, I’m a widdle early)

Are you partaking in the BL2 Community Playthrough?

• EXXXXXPLOSI- I mean, yes, yes I am.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I'm not sure. I hope so!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I'm not sure. Probably not. :/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. I will be observing though.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I'm just passing through. Lost. Frightened. Trying to find my way back home. You may never see me ag

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Borderlands 2 Community Playthrough

Heyoooooooooooooooooooooo

Welcome to…!

borderlands_2_community_playthrough4.png

torguehead.png
:HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY SHIT. I’M SEEING A BUNCH OF RANDOS AND THEY’RE ALL CARRYING BIG*** GUNS. WHAT IS THIS GAME ALL ABOUT???
fancyhead.png
:Borderlands 2 is an open world, first-person shooter with role-playing elements. Folks can either play single-player or in groups of up to 4 people (local and online co-op)

torguehead.png
:COLOUR ME INTRIGUED. NOW, DO I HAVE TO HAVE PREVIOUSLY PLAYED BORDERLANDS, NO NUMBERS, IN ORDER TO ENJOY THIS GAME???
fancyhead.png
:You don’t. Indeed,
Obsidian Fire said:
The Borderlands story is much simpler then the Borderlands 2 story, so it's not that hard to figure out what happened. There's a big enough time-gap between the two games that the events in the first game have to be summarized in-game for the protagonists of Borderlands 2, so don't worry all that much about it.

torguehead.png
:HOW THE **** DO I GET A COPY OF THIS GAME AND WHAT PLATFORM CAN I PLAY IT ON????
fancyhead.png
: Here’s a complete list of the platforms BL2 is available on. Clicking on each platform will provide a list of ways to buy the game as well as links. Please note that you can only obtain the PS4 version by buying Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, which gives you the Pre-sequel as well as the vanilla Borderlands 2.

torguehead.png
:HOW MANY HOURS OF MY LIFE WOULD I BE GIVING TO THIS GAME IF I SO CHOOSE TO DO SO?!?
fancyhead.png
:Strictly playing the main story, it takes about 31 hours. Playing the main story plus sidequests takes 52 hours.

We’re going to be playing just the main quest (plus a mini playthrough of ‘Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon’s Keep’ for all who are interested), and I encourage everyone to prioritise the required missions first and then squeeze any extra stuff that you can in the allotted time to enhance your Borderlands 2 experience!

That being said, I’m going to post questions for the all sidequest for those who cannot resist. :P Answer them at your own pace and always use spoiler tags!

In general, the goal is to complete ~3 hours a week for an 11-12 week playthrough.

torguehead.png
:CAN I PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE????
fancyhead.png
:You absolutely can and I absolutely encourage this! You’ll be wishing they were around when it comes to the boss fights and, all in all, I find the game loads more fun with more people—even if it’s just one extra person around.

Those who want more of a challenge, however (or who really just can’t be bothered with the social aspect), I’d encourage you to play the game solo.

torguehead.png
:CAN I PLAY IN ANY OTHER MODE BESIDES NORMAL????
fancyhead.png
:This question is only really relevant to veterans who have already completed the game once and have unlocked True Vault Hunter Mode and Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, which offers players the option to replay the game in its entirety but with new enemies, scaled fights, more badass spawns, tougher enemies, and (in turn) better loot and XP!

The answer is: you’re absolutely free to play in whatever mode you choose to play in, but keep in mind that if you so choose to play in TVHM or UVHM, you’ll have to be even more selective in choosing teammates (assuming you want teammates :P).

torguehead.png
:WILL FFXII AND/OR DIRGE OF CERBERUS EVER SEE JUSTICE?????
fancyhead.png
: ………………
22bf85c6cd1eeb168304b25edcc18f78.png

torguehead.png
:WILL. THERE. BE. EXXXXXXPLOSIONS?!?!?!
fancyhead.png
:FUCK. YES!!!

The vanilla copy of BL2 comes with 4 characters. Each one of these characters has an action skill they can use for a short time to assist in battle. After each use of an action skill, there is a Cooldown period in which players have to wait before they can use it again, so be smart and strategic when deciding when and when not to use it!

The effects of this action skill, as well as the permanent perks that your character gains (such as a boost in their health or accuracy), can be customised through three skill trees. As you move further along in the game, you gain more and more skill points, unlocking more and more tiers of the trees.

Here’s a brief overlook (given that you can mix and match skills from each skill tree, half the fun comes from gawking and debating on which skills you want anyway).

Axton (as the Commando)
Action skill is the use of a turret, which will not only act as a support, but as a distraction for enemies if you’re in a tight spot and need to get away.

• Guerilla - Helps you to sustain continuous high damage attacks.
  • Gunpowder - All about offence. Boosts combat stats and utilises explosives. Great for distracting enemies.
  • Survival - All about defence. Boosts your health, shield, and the last tier allows you to deploy two turrets.

Maya (as the Siren)
Action skill is phaselock, which will suspend enemies in midair for a few seconds whilst doing damage. Great for crowd control.

• Motion - Good for crowd control and boosting defence.
  • Harmony - Focus is on healing and supporting your teammates.
  • Cataclysm - Focus is on elemental effects, damage, and causing all hell.

Salvador (as the Gunzerker)
Action skill is gunzerking, or the ability to wield any two weapons you have in your inventory for a little time.

• Gun Lust - Gets you to swap around and reload your guns in rapid succession.
  • Rampage - Focus is on maintaining a continuous flow of firing. Will reward you with extra ammunition and time spent gunzerking.
  • Brawn - Tank tree. Increases your max health, rate of regeneration, and has the potential to turn damage into health regeneration. You can even taunt your enemies with the final tier.

Zer0 (as the Assassin)
Has the ability to go into ‘decepti0n’ mode whichs deploys a holographic decoy of himself whilst he turns invisible.

• Sniping - Grants bonuses on crit hit with guns, particularly sniper rifles.
  • Cunning - Improves melee and ranged combat.
  • Bloodshed - Increases decepti0n time and improves melee damage. Makes you feel badass as hell.

Extra Characters from DLCs

Gaige (as the Mechromancer)
Action skill is summoning a robot companion to help you kicks copious amounts of ass.

• Best Friends Forever - Focus is on boosting health and shield.
  • Little Big Trouble - Focus is on elemental damage.
  • Ordered Chaos - Grants you big bonuses in damage but at the cost of accuracy.

Krieg (as the Psycho)
Action skill is going into berserk mode with a buzz axe and doing extra melee damage.

• Bloodlust - Focus is on ranged combat and getting stacks to improve your skills.
  • Mania - High risk/high reward tree that rewards you for taking damage by increasing the amount of damage you deal out.
  • Hellborn - Focus is on elemental damage.

Feel free to take a gander at this skill tree simulator to get a feel for the skill tree mechanics. Every time you want to move around your points, you're charged for refreshing them, so it's wise to get a good idea of what you want to do ahead of time!

Guns, and Class Mods, and Shields. Oh, my!
Loot, as you will come to know (if you don’t already) plays a huge part in the Borderlands experience. Each bit of loot gets assigned a colour which signifies it’s rarity and thus it’s rank. The general rule is: the rarer the loot, the more powerful it is.

Loot Ranking (from most common to most rare)
  1. White = Common
  2. Green = Uncommon
  3. Blue = Rare
  4. Purple = Epic
  5. Orange = Legendary
  6. Magenta = E-tech
  7. Pink = Seraph (Only found in DLCs)
  8. Cyan = Pearlescent (Only found in UVHM)

As, again, our very own Obsidian Fire puts it…
Obsidian Fire said:
Unique weapons (and up!) in Borderlands are almost like another facet of making class builds. And that some of those Weapons can only be gotten though Side Quests.

Therefore, I’ll be making special note of all the sidequests that award you with these special weapons (even if I don’t neccesarily recommend it for the playthrough).

If you’re buying BL2 for the first time, you’ll have the choice of either getting the vanilla game or the Game of the Year Edition. I strongly urge you to buy the latter if you can afford it/access it. Whilst I’m structuring the main playthrough in such a way that vanilla players won’t be missing out, I’ll also be hosting a mini-playthrough of Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep—a bonus campaign that parodies DnD—at the end of the main campaign

For a side-by-side comparison...

Borderlands 2 Includes
  • The four base characters (Axton, Maya, Zer0, and Salvador)
  • A level cap of 50.
  • Main story campaign and all side quests.

Borderlands 2 (GOTYE) Includes
  • The four base characters (Axton, Maya, Zer0, and Salvador) + Gaige and Krieg
  • Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (pushes level cap to 61)
  • Main story campaign and all side quests.
  • Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate’s Booty (Bonus Campaign)
  • Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage (Bonus Campaign)
  • Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt (Bonus Campaign)
  • Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep (SUPER AWESOME Bonus Campaign)
  • Creature Slaughter Dome (Battle Area)
  • Collector’s Edition Pack (which includes heads and skins for Axton, Maya, Zer0, and Salvador as well as an extra weapon)

Other DLCs
  • Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 (pushes level cap to 72)
  • T.K. Baha’s Bloody Harvest
  • The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler
  • How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day
  • Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre
  • Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax

From experience, I can say that Borderlands 2 is a game best played with friends. Ideally, we’d be pairing up veterans of the game with newbies, but folks are naturally free to team up with whomever they choose. I, myself, will go ahead and state that I am a vet who’d prefer to play with newbies. Mostly cuz I play like a newbie myself and I’m shy lmfao. (。・ω・。)

If anyone would like to provide me with their timezone as well as the medium they're playing on, I’ll list’em here and you can reach out to a member based on that.

• BforB (Newborn on Mac). Might be playing! AEST (+10 GMT).
  • Cthulhu (Magical Space Inbetween on PC). Will play with anyone (ping him).
  • Darth n Airling (Vets on PC). Will play with newbies or anyone on TVHM. - (+2 GMT)
  • Fancy (Vet on PC). Will play with anyone but prefers newbies- EST (-4 GMT)
  • ForceStealer (Vet on PS4 but will play PS3 if necessary). Will play with anyone.
  • Joe (Vet on PC and PS4). Will play with anyone - BST (+1 GMT)
  • Mao Shizhong (Newbie on PC). Will play with anyone - BST (+1 GMT)
  • Minato (Newbie on PC). Will play with anyone.
  • Obsidian Fire (Vet on PC). Will play with anyone (although likely playing TVHM) - PDT (-7 GMT)

Whilst I strongly encourage everyone to team up with somebody, there are potential drawbacks to working in teams.

Skipping Ahead - When you’re joining someone’s game, you’ll load in whatever point they’re currently in, thus you risk skipping some story. For example, say you were in Chapter 5 the last time you saved, but your host is in Chapter 7 when you join their game. You’ve just skipped Chapter 6 in terms of story.

Not only this, but the next time you load your own game, you’ll end up back in the last point that you saved in (in the case of this example, Chapter 5), and you’ll be forced to progress through Chapter 6 anyway (though you will get the option of skipping Chapter 7…).

So be mindful that whoever you end up teaming up with throughout the playthrough event (I, myself, don’t plan on strictly playing with one party/set of people) are more or less on the same page as you. On a related note...

Get. On. My. Level. - As I’ve mentioned earlier, those who have completed the game once will have unlocked True Vault Hunter Mode for that character and those who’ve completed TVHM unlock Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode. If a newbie ends up joining a host playing in either of these modes, the host will be carrying them as they will literally be too weak to contribute in a significant way. If a veteran joins a newbie game (with their levelled up character), the game will become too easy, as the veteran will be mowing down every enemy they encounter because they’re too overpowered for the playthrough.

Again, you’re free to join whomever and play on whatever mode with whichever teammates, but I’m just pointing this out as something you may want to keep in mind.

”T-THAT’S MY LOOT!!!” - When it comes to the loot you and your teammates find, it’s every wo(man) for her/himself. If a rare weapon drops and four players are present, only one of them is walking away with that booty (assuming no one is cheating of course lmao :watchingu:). Get accustomed to negotiating, playing dirty, or using the in-game solution (literally fighting for it).

Make Your Choice - Sometimes the missions you go on give you a choice between giving an item to one character or another, which will award you a different gun. Once one of your teammates makes this decision, it’s absolute for everyone else playing.

Part One:
  • Prelude: My First Gun
  • Chapter 1: Blindsided

Part Two:
  • Chapter 2: Cleaning Up the Berg
  • Chapter 3: Best Minion Ever

Part Three:
  • Chapter 4: The Road to Sanctuary
  • Chapter 5: Plan B

Part Four:
  • Chapter 6: Hunting the Firehawk
  • Chapter 7: A Dam Fine Rescue

Part Five:
  • Chapter 8: A Train to Catch
  • Chapter 9: Rising Action

Part Six:
  • Chapter 10: Bright Lights, Flying City
  • Chapter 11: Wildlife Preservation

Part Seven:
  • Chapter 12: The Once and Future Slab
  • Chapter 13: The Man Who Would Be Jack

Part Eight:
  • Chapter 14: Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • Chapter 15: Where Angels Fear to Tread Part 2

Part Nine:
  • Chapter 16: Toil and Trouble
  • Chapter 17: Data Mining

Part Ten:
  • Chapter 18: The Talon of God

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Holy shit this is an excellent write-up. Solid work Fancy Panties!

I have no idea of my availability yet but I am a vet and open to playing with anybody. ^_^ It's likely I'll be playing on PC but I may play on PS4 too.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Aaahhhh thank you, that means a a lot coming from you! :glomp: I've been stressing about this fooking post for weeks. Probably still needs some tweaks but I'm happy for now! :joy:

Putting you in now! That's BST?

Should've made those voting public goddamit :okay:

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Woop!

Yes I am playing this!

I'll be playing on PC and am a Vet. And I'll most likely be paying True Vault Hunter Mode. I am all the way over in PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) though...

Oh and I have all the DLC for this, so count me in for the Dungeon Assault

Last edited:

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
I'M HERE TO SHANK AND SMILE!!!

So Airling and I are both WAY in for this, and we'll be playing together but we're totes willing to play with up to two (2) more people (Uh-oh, math. Hope we don't pop a blood vessel.).

Also we're willing to either play all new chars from start if playing with young'uns, or play TVHM with our current characters (I am Krieg and A is Zer0) and I'll check what level we are as soon as I re-install the game (god I hope the damn thing kept my character...).

Anyway.

NEVER STOP THE KILLING. NEVER!!!

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Dibs on 3rd player in Darth and A's team! (Actually happy to play with anyone willing to put up with a newbie)

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
For what it's worth I plan to play as Gaige using the Ordered Chaos/ANARCHY tree. >:)

70F3866925DA556BC0469AFA86DC3B179EA77592

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Right, I wanna point out that I'll likely be starting a new game (I really wanna play with the newbies tehehe!) and play as Maya with a focus on the harmony skill tree (basically, I'll be the team's white mage/medic).

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I'm hoping I'll have the time but I volunteer to be sacrificial newborn lamb in Fancy's team so lmao good luck to you and pray for us all.

aaad

Pro Adventurer
I should be free around most of the summer. I am totally down for teaming up with people if accepted :D I'm a completely newbie to the BL series (boy love?????) but not shooters in general.

I'm in BST (GMT+1) and will be playing on PC.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Ah forks I forgot to put in our timezone, we're GMT+2, and totes down to have Minato in our team! Or others, ya know, but the offer was made.

Oh and we're around level 41, and have the DLC for Dragon Keep,

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'll most likely play on PS4 with the handsome collection, but i do have a PS3 copy if necessary.

I don't know what I'll play. In my last co-op game I played healer Maya and enjoyed it quite a bit (dem long-distance raises, bb). I also have a save file with a Zero I was playing solo. I never got very far, so I could also just wait a bit for people to catch up with that and just go from there.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've started and restarted this game a few times now (I think I played with Joe at some point too) but never finished it, so err, if anyone's playing, just ping in discord and I can join like whatever :monster:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Friendly reminder that the playthrough will commence in one week. If you have yet to purchase the game, now's about the time to be considering it! I've written up a guide as to how and where to buy the game in the main post if anyone needs it (it's under the Q&A spoiler). If you're interested in partnering up, let us know!

My timeframe for this playthrough is about two and half months (excluding 'Assault on Dragon Keep') with me posting a set of questions every Friday regardless of how far behind someone may be. That being said, if all the participants as a whole are ever ahead, I'll go ahead and post the next set of questions regardless of whether or not it's a Friday. For example, say after I post the first set of questions on 1 June and everyone has their questions answered (thus indicating they've finished the chapters) by 3 June, I'll go ahead and post the next set of question that same day as opposed to waiting for 8 June. Capiche??

If you have any questions or concerns let me know! Thanks!

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Just popping in to say that Borderlands 2 is actually on a deal right now through Steam. It's one of the games they've chosen for the Spring Cleaning event which means it's free to play up until Monday. But most importantly it's only £4.99 to buy. The game of the year pack is £7.69
Borderlands 2
Borderlands 2 - Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty
Borderlands 2 - Psycho Pack
Borderlands 2: Collector's Edition Pack
Borderlands 2: Creature Slaughterdome
Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Pack
Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage
Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt
Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Borderlands 2: Ultimate Vault Hunters Upgrade Pack

So good to pick up if you want it or if you want to test it out for free for a bit.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I still have it somewhere, I think there was at least a partial playthrough a while (probably years, lolol) ago, :monster:.

Should get a headset or whatnot though.

And a new computer :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I'll be around as well.

Mania Krieg, naturally. I'll MAKE THE SKY BLEED

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm probably going to play as Maya with a focus on harmony, I've also done Zer0 before. I have the game on steam and possibly will get it on PS4 too.

aaad

Pro Adventurer
Was about to buy said game but found that I already bought it viaHumble Bundle 3 years ago \o/

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
On Chapters and Questions.

This playthrough divides the game into ten parts.

In each part, there will be two chapters from the main story campaign listed as well as the required side quests (if any). You must complete these chapters and side quests. Side quests with a caret symbol (^) next to them require the mission listed directly above it to be completed before it can be activated. Upon completion, you’ll click the Summary and Questions spoiler where you can read a summary of all the story points that you’ve just played through and questions for you to answer.

Along with the questions for the main campaign and side quests, I’ve listed bonus questions for the optional side quests if you so choose to do them. I initially discouraged folks from doing any side quests I didn’t list as required, but I'm taking that back. I, in fact, encourage everyone to do as many side quests as they can squeeze in to heighten their Borderlands 2 experience (granted it doesn’t lead to you falling too far behind)!

You’re under no obligation to answer any of these questions (required or bonus) at all, but that would kinda be defeating the purpose of a community playthrough, wouldn’t it??? Whatever questions you do end up answering, I ask that you put them under spoiler tags as to avoid, well, spoiling anything for folks who are new to the game. :P

Note that some parts will take longer to complete than others. And that’s totally fine. Regardless, I’ll be posting a set of questions every Friday first thing in (my) morning (between 0500 - 0600 EST or 0900 - 1000 GMT). You are more than free to play ahead of the rate that I’m posting questions (ex. playing through Chapter 12 by the time I post questions for Chapter 7), but I do ask that you try not to play too far ahead. The questions that I post are best answered when the chapters are still fresh in your mind!

Schedule
01/06/2018 - Part One + Two
08/06/2018 - Part Three
15/06/2018 - Part Four
22/06/2018 - Part Five
29/06/2018 - Part Six
06/07/2018 - Part Seven
13/07/2018 - Part Eight
20/07/2018 - Part Nine
27/07/2018 - Part Ten

This is the rate that I’m posting these questions, but we, as a community, may finish the game later than this! I have my eyes set on finishing the game by mid-August (in time for the ‘TLS Ranks FF Songs’ event WHOOPS SPOILER), but if any of us take a little longer than that, it’s chill.

Merci, et bonne chance!

OH!! And I hereby give 0bsidian Fire full authority to ask any additional questions alongside my own LOL.

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Part One

>Part One
thumb-1920-321354.jpg
Prelude: My First Gun

Location(s) : Windshear Waste

Required Sidequest(s)
• None

Chapter 1: Blindsided

Location(s) : Windshear Waste

Required Sidequest(s)
• None

Summary: You’re a Vault Hunter lured in by Handsome Jack to Pandora with promises of treasure and glory. That is, until Handsome Jack betrays you and blows up the train you and your fellow Vault Hunters were travelling in.

You survive the crash and are found by a CL4P-TP unit named Claptrap, who leads you back to his home where he is promptly attacked by a Bullymong and rendered blind. He tells you to go to his cabinet and retrieve the first gun you’re going to be using in this game. With this gun (or not, depends on what mode you’re playing in…) you hunt the Bullymong down and escape Windshear Waste with the help of a mysterious AI.

Questions
  1. Which character did you pick to play as and why?
  2. What do you think of the opening sequence? For those who’ve played Borderlands, how does it compare to the first?
  3. Immediate impression of the gameplay mechanics?
  4. Thoughts on the first bossfight?
  5. Are you loving or hating Claptrap at this point?

Last edited:
Top Bottom