• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Deepground…

hleV

Pro Adventurer
While I would like some stuff from Compilation to appear in Remake, I'd rather they focus on getting stuff from OG in. That's plenty of work already. Additional stuff can come afterwards, via DLCs and whatnot. Though references to Compilation (paper notes or something) should be in, as they would supposedly not that hard to do.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
You make an excellent point, though it's still hard t believe they hid that much technology from the rest of the world instead of making used of some of it to more efficiently deal with all the issues they had to deal with over the years. What do you think of the whole SND thing?

Shinra went to great lengths to cover up everything they did all the time, and modern tech companies have shittons of cool emerging technologies that even an Internet-connected world doesn't know much about. That isn't even remotely unbelievable to me that none of the rest of the FFVII world knew about it or saw any of their technology.

TBH, I think that the President's continually growing obsession with the Promised Land basically overrode the company's focus all other things that weren't absolutely necessary to supply to the general public. I think that using Deepground as a way to push technological advancement towards that end would be why he kept it around. The military casualties from the war and the mad scientists just gave them the ideal staging ground for it with a company whose ethical guidelines involve dropping a plate to kill a terrorist group. Shinra was uniquely monopolistic, egomaniacal, myopic, and ethically devoid to make the world what it was.

As far as the SND, I always thought of it as stemming from Shinra testing using the Lifestream as a communications mechanism and not just a power source, but it was too specific to be of greater use.

X :neo:

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Shinra went to great lengths to cover up everything they did all the time, and modern tech companies have shittons of cool emerging technologies that even an Internet-connected world doesn't know much about.
TBF, Square Enix did keep us from finding out about the remake for a year and a half.

Alnair

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I would rather Deepground stay as far away from the remake as possible. I never liked the ridiculous story of Dirge of Cerberus and would rather forget it happened. Not only did it add a group of misfit villains that would have suited a children's cartoon, but it made some of them seem more powerful than Sephiroth. Weiss was so powerful that he had to be chained to a chair. And his brother was so powerful that he had to be put in a straight jacket. Urgh. I'd rather these colourful villains and Deepground stay buried beneath Midgar for eternity and never see the light of day again.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Interestingly, I think that it makes sense that Shinra would keep pushing to make crazy powerful super soldiers to try to make something on par with Sephiroth, because militaristically -- they'd want more of them because of how much good he did, but because of Genesis' fallout during Crisis Core, it makes sense that they'd go to other projects to find that power (i.e. where Vincent's came from). Then again - Deepground was also just testing facility, and nothing that they built for use - especially because it was meant to test things until they broke, and wasn't a production line. Especially after the fiasco during Crisis Core, they're want to keep everything they built locked away completely without chance of escape.

I don't really have any issue with Nero or Weiss' being forcibly restrained, because of the aforementioned reasons. It shows how Shinra probably would've treated an experiment like Sephiroth, had he not been crafted into a hero during the war, and then subsequently been what President Shinra believed was their key to the Promised Land. (Also, I never thought that any of them were even remotely comparable to Sephiroth. Vincent fought all of them on his own, and Sephiroth took on their entire team throughout the OG).

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Interestingly, I think that it makes sense that Shinra would keep pushing to make crazy powerful super soldiers to try to make something on par with Sephiroth, because militaristically -- they'd want more of them because of how much good he did, but because of Genesis' fallout during Crisis Core, it makes sense that they'd go to other projects to find that power (i.e. where Vincent's came from). Then again - Deepground was also just testing facility, and nothing that they built for use - especially because it was meant to test things until they broke, and wasn't a production line. Especially after the fiasco during Crisis Core, they're want to keep everything they built locked away completely without chance of escape.

I agree with that. Because, no mater how powerful of a SOLDIER Sephiroth was, he still had a conscience, which is what they were trying to weed out of everyone who was sent to Deepground.

I like to think of these guys as shock troops that the president would have used in case of emergencies (or what he deemed to be an emergency).

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
What part of "bonus dungeon" was ever a bad idea?

Does it even matter if it's Deep Ground or not?

Even if it is, I'd love to see all the games tied in to this one, haters gonna hate.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Interestingly, I think that it makes sense that Shinra would keep pushing to make crazy powerful super soldiers to try to make something on par with Sephiroth, because militaristically -- they'd want more of them because of how much good he did, but because of Genesis' fallout during Crisis Core, it makes sense that they'd go to other projects to find that power (i.e. where Vincent's came from).
I never thought about this before - when they saw how powerful Sephiroth was, why didn't they just start making a million Sephiroths? Considering the way Shinra is represented in DoC, I doubt the whole bit about Sephiroth not being an ancient would've stopped them from from kidnapping a bunch of pregnant women and shooting Jenova cells into their wombs.
Remake dirge with Deepground being all 13 year old Sephiroths.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
TBH, I think that the President's continually growing obsession with the Promised Land basically overrode the company's focus all other things that weren't absolutely necessary to supply to the general public.

Deepground was never portrayed as something that helped him find the Promised Land.

I think that using Deepground as a way to push technological advancement towards that end would be why he kept it around. The military casualties from the war and the mad scientists just gave them the ideal staging ground for it with a company whose ethical guidelines involve dropping a plate to kill a terrorist group. Shinra was uniquely monopolistic, egomaniacal, myopic, and ethically devoid to make the world what it was.
That explains the Tsviets. The Spiderbots, the helicopters, thousands-men strong Deepground (let's try to keep in mind that as big as it seemed in Dirge of Cerberus, it was but the mere sliver of what it used to be, they've been massacring each other day in, day out for three years straight with no new recruits coming in if Rosso is to be believed) every each single one of them outfitted with their own scifi combat suit aren't really a test anymore. It's just a massively better outfitted army then the one Shinra actually makes use off aboveground.

I don't really have any issue with Nero or Weiss' being forcibly restrained, because of the aforementioned reasons. It shows how Shinra probably would've treated an experiment like Sephiroth, had he not been crafted into a hero during the war, and then subsequently been what President Shinra believed was their key to the Promised Land.
Genesis became a warrior compararable to Sephiroth without the fame. He'd have defected a lot earlier if they were like "yeah, you're really powerful so we're gonna keep you chained up and drugged until further notice." Fame or no, I don't really think it should be taken for granted that Sephiroth would have taken this treatment in such good humour either.

Lost Force were each more powerful then Rosso, but again, were more loyal because they were given, status, relative freedom and power. It's not that complicated, and to a degree Shinra seemed to understand this. Just not with the Tsviets.

(Also, I never thought that any of them were even remotely comparable to Sephiroth. Vincent fought all of them on his own, and Sephiroth took on their entire team throughout the OG).
Vincent is the only one able to deal with Nero's darkness. pre-Lifestream Sephiroth wouldn't have had a chance.

I never thought about this before - when they saw how powerful Sephiroth was, why didn't they just start making a million Sephiroths? Considering the way Shinra is represented in DoC, I doubt the whole bit about Sephiroth not being an ancient would've stopped them from from kidnapping a bunch of pregnant women and shooting Jenova cells into their wombs.
Remake dirge with Deepground being all 13 year old Sephiroths.

They don't want a million Sephiroths. They didn't even really want the first one. They were trying to create someone that led them to the Promised Land. Sephiroth becoming a SOLDIER, and the whole Wutai War that made him prove himself useful was a Plan B, they wouldn't have needed to invade Wutai to begin with is Plan A had just worked out.

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I want Deepground as a level too in this remake, purely to only have my fun in destroying them early before DoC takes place.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I just figured that DG was a massive screw up on the part of Shinra. During the wars, no would would question lots of disappearances, so they wanted to test things until they broke. Eventually, things stopped breaking so much, as the scientists improved their methods, but nobody told the kidnapping crews to stop kidnapping. So the numbers swelled, and suddenly there was a massive well equipped army in the basement. Killing them all will obviously be resisted, and would be impossible to do quietly. so there's no choice but to keep going and keep kicking the problem down the curb.

That explains the Tsviets. The Spiderbots, the helicopters, thousands-men strong Deepground (let's try to keep in mind that as big as it seemed in Dirge of Cerberus, it was but the mere sliver of what it used to be, they've been massacring each other day in, day out for three years straight with no new recruits coming in if Rosso is to be believed) every each single one of them outfitted with their own scifi combat suit aren't really a test anymore. It's just a massively better outfitted army then the one Shinra actually makes use off aboveground.

A big if. She's even crazier than the average Tsviet. I kinda assumed most of them were kept in Mako tanks, doesn't Vincent pass through some big rooms full of them?

I'm not sure it's better equipped. They basically have three models of robot, the spidercrab, the red saucer things, and the helicopter. Above ground Shinra have Scorpion Guards, Airbuster, the Moth Slasher line, the Sweeper line, Cromwells, those weird things that look like floating roses that cast fire, Mighty Guards,, the guns on legs, HundredGunners, Motor Balls, H2SO4 and everything else Hojo can cook up, and a lot of things I missed. DG seemed to have got hold of limited specs and just mindlessly made the same things over and over with occasional tweaks over and over.

I kinda got the impression DG thought they were more dangerous than they actually were. Vincent struggles against Rosso, but takes on Azul and Shelke in quick succession with little trouble. Nero's swirly black stuff is unbeatable, but he's not all that tough in combat -simple handgun rounds do him a lot of damage. And we never see non powered up Weiss, so he's hard to gauge. I wouldn't be all that surprised if keeping him chained was a way to control Nero, as crazily devoted as he is.

Sephiroth is a long term investment, it takes what, fifteen years before they'd be combat ready?

Considering the mako cannon can fire all the way from Midgar to the Northern Crater (and the only reason the mako bullets didn't go any further is because they hit the crater) it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to believe Shinra could have targeted Wutai from Junon.

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
personally I'm not a big fan of DC and thus a like to think of it as a bad fanfiction.
the scale was just TOO MUCH, especially if the DG soldiers fought in the game are the survivors of years of experiments (just think of the jews used as guinea pigs by the nazis during WWII ) and civil war (if we belive Rosso). it also requires a fucking lot of amoral scientists to experiment on so many people everyday (and I don't belive that all the scientists employed by Shinra were amoral and unethical)
it was also incredibly expensive as a project and this fact alone is enough to not belive the "Rufus never knew about this" BS.

also, I belive that only Hojo knew about Vincent and definetly never studied him from a militaristic point of view. (more like a research on voluntary morph done out of curiousity while waiting for Sephiroth's birth. 9 months it's a lot of time). I belive he just told the president a lie about what happened to him ("one day he went to the mountains and never came back") because the president wouldn't take kindly the idea of a scientist killing a turk, experimenting on him and then just dumping him in a coffin.
In the end, I'd prefer that game being as loosely related to the remake as possible.

Last edited:

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I would like to see Deepground hinted at, but I'm not sure if it should be in the game. Maybe it can be unlockable upon re-entry to Midgar in Disk 2 but you get killed instantly if you enter.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I would like to see Deepground hinted at, but I'm not sure if it should be in the game. Maybe it can be unlockable upon re-entry to Midgar in Disk 2 but you get killed instantly if you enter.

I agree. I think it would be awesome if you could somehow get into Shinra's computers and come up against firewalls when you try and get into Deepground files. That'd be a nice little easter egg.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
If it wasnt in the game, dont bother with it. Theres so much they can expand upon that was in the original, theres no need to add anything more.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
It is, but it mostly comes down to a really shitty execution than the idea that ShinRa had an experimental enclave of super powered Soldiers with a lot of defects that made them unusable for actual use.

Had they kept the numbers to the Colors and a few elite units, done the rest with monsters and robots, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Here's my idea of how the remake could give a light reference to Deepground. I think it would be cool if a random NPC in the slums mentioned that they could hear screams at night. However, he explains that he can never locate exactly which direction the screams are coming from. It's almost as if the screams are coming straight out of the ground.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Here's my idea of how the remake could give a light reference to Deepground. I think it would be cool if a random NPC in the slums mentioned that they could hear screams at night. However, he explains that he can never locate exactly which direction the screams are coming from. It's almost as if the screams are coming straight out of the ground.

I think that someone in the slums close by the central pillar would be an awesome NPC to have a little piece of dialogue like that.

Top Bottom