Dirge of Cerberus FMVs - 1080p HD

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I extracted the FMVs straight from the disc, and through a simple process of a sharpen filter and upscaling to 1080p. Surprisingly they manage to retain their quality, even though I'm upscaling from a resolution of 640x448. To keep the videos looking as good as they do on my computer, I encode them with FFV1, a lossless video codec (downside being filesize, which for example the intro FMV is 10.5GB).

I was quite surprised with DC's FMVs. It had been a long while since I looked at the extracted files. They are quite good.

Examples:

NCx6T.png

Upscaled
WTiiu.jpg

G5SGI.png

Upscaled
XViar.jpg

AiS4U.png

Upscaled
rsHqn.jpg

You can see them here:

Dirge of Cerberus FMV Playlist - Individual Selection

Dirge of Cerberus FMV Playlist - Autoplay All

Oh, and a question might cross your mind of "Why is he doing this?"... answer: "Because.".

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Cool.

I mean, it's only upscaled but then again....so was ACC. :wacky:

Haha, yeah. At least you can notice more details this way, I think.

I still can't believe that they did it with the older scenes in ACC. What was the point when you've got the original video RIGHT THERE.... in all it's glory? I still hope we get a re-release of everything related to VII, and NOT have upscaled crap.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Well here's a question for you all. It's either a setting I've overlooked when encoding, or YouTube is doing something odd when processing the video.

Do you want the videos stretched out to the 1920x1080/16:9 aspect ratio, or as it is now, 1080p but kept at the 4:3 aspect ratio?

The difference being instead of:

rsHqn.jpg

It looks like:

DrQEn.jpg

When viewed on YouTube (which as you can see, just because it's been through YT's processing has lost a minor amount of detail, but in staying at the 4:3 ratio, the faces aren't stretched out).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You should (also) distribute it through torrents, fgj :monster:. I dunno if youtube actually keeps it at a solid 1080p or compresses it to shit.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
You should (also) distribute it through torrents, fgj :monster:. I dunno if youtube actually keeps it at a solid 1080p or compresses it to shit.

I can't even begin to imagine the final filesize of that torrent. :faint: I could distribute the PSS video files, along with a PSS Demuxer, for anyone who wanted to have fun with the vids though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Filesize is irrellevant, it's .torrent, and there's fans that would DL and seed it, :monster:.

I could contribute some bandwidth. At least download it at a reasonable speed (2.5 MB/s), :monster:.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Filesize is irrellevant, it's .torrent, and there's fans that would DL and seed it, :monster:.

I could contribute some bandwidth. At least download it at a reasonable speed (2.5 MB/s), :monster:.

Maybe so... but three upscaled videos encoded with the FFV1 codec are 14.4GB, and there are twelve videos in all. Of course I could reduce the filesize by going with H.264 lossless, which might help a bit, or even DivX, while not lossless would keep things reasonable.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
God, these look so fucking awesome. Thank you.

I don't care what anyone says. At the very least, DoC was some fucking awesome eye candy. :monster:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
You're welcome, Mako. More will be up sooner or later. Besides encoding and the time it takes to upload, I'm trying to remember the right order they go in (and naming them with proper titles).

I agree... DC was a very nice game, graphics-wise. The story wasn't horrible either.... it just needed a lot more work, like far better explanations behind the various new technology we see (a fleet of airships, The Worldwide Network, etc), the story behind the Deepground and it's characters (which had more to it in the Japan-only multi-player feature), etc, etc, etc.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Should have another... oh 3-5 up by the end of the night (though if the uploader keeps failing half-way, it may be another day).

Two new ones are:

Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- ~Lucrecia's Collapse~ FMV [1080p HD]

Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- ~The Shera's Entrance/Cid's Fleet~ FMV [1080p HD]

Semi-off topic, I wish I could do the same for CC but the 480x272 resolution makes things difficult. The best I can make it look at 720p is:

YPiFA.jpg

ynXxq.png

xqoZY.png

3Fvph.png

K8DWe.jpg

Pbbvw.png

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- ~Omega Emerges~ FMV [1080p HD]

Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- ~Shelke retrieves Protomateria~ FMV [1080p HD]

Third (which I've titled "Stop Omega!"... though I'm open to suggestions on a better title) will be up in an hour or so, then the ending (which will take the most time to upload as it's the largest file...at 15.5GB, which is mainly due to it's length at 10:45min) and the secret ending.

Hope you enjoy 'em, X. :D

*edit* Well for some reason (perhaps it's my connection this evening) "Stop Omega!" has failed twice mid-way to upload..... trying once more before bed, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.

wayfarer

ACF Refugee
AKA
Fenrir/Cerberus
Am I the only one who was actually really impressed with DoC's art design?? Tweaking the new AC-ushered look to tonally fit the more gothic environment. I loved Vincent's hair in this game :P

EDIT: Sorry if this is off-topic, but looking at that hair in high res I felt like going of on a tangent.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- ~Stop Omega!~ FMV [1080p HD]

Now for the ending... "About 431 min. remaining..." "Processing 1% — About 2021 min. remaining...":monster:

Over all, I've noticed regardless of my using a lossless codec, whatever YouTube does when processing the video will cause it to degrade, but it's not too noticeable... mostly during fast-motion scenes, and very dark areas.

Fenrir/Cerberus, I wasn't a big fan of Vincent's hair, it just... looked like he had some bizarre split ends or something.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Now for the ending... "About 431 min. remaining..." "Processing 1% — About 2021 min. remaining...":monster:

Upload failed at some point between 8:30pm and now. D: I've only been uploading since noon today. It was about 66% done, but I'm guessing the severe thunderstorm affected the connection (somehow, not really sure why/how, it's a cable connection....).

Trying again!

Top Bottom