Dissidia 2

GodRoy

Pro Adventurer
Also, I'm almost certain one of those games has a very good chance of being Dissidia 2.

Okay, so Dissidia was a fun game for letting people choose their favorite ff character and beat down on their least favorite. But would a second game involve the closest back up heroes, or the whole cast from every game or what new additions? I'd like to know your guys opinions on this.

As for me, I'd just settle for Cloud's crossdressing as an alternative costume. What should the game have and how should the story go? And, would it be possible to make it a downloadable game off PSN?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I'd like the same cast with new ones, and Lightning pls (also Sahz for good measure). Expand the list, make em WEAR their armours and make em WEILD other weapons too.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Emmă;251441 said:
Dissidia 2 already? I never finished the first one. :F

The game came out almost two years ago.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Dissidia was an awful game. Completely revamp the design and give it a story that isn't made out of sponge cake and shoelaces, and maybe I'll be interested.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dissidia was an awful game. Completely revamp the design and give it a story that isn't made out of sponge cake and shoelaces, and maybe I'll be interested.

An awful game? Really now?

Awful... I dunno, I get not everyone's going to enjoy a PSP RPG Fighting game, but I honestly can't even fathom how this game falls under the category of awful.

And while Dissidia does have a story, it's first and foremost a fighting game. Do people get bent over Street Fighter's story, or Tekken's story?

I mean, really now.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
And while Dissidia does have a story, it's first and foremost a fighting game. Do people get bent over Street Fighter's story, or Tekken's story?
Street Fighter and Tekken are actually good fighting games, that don't boast about the games' stories.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's because Street Fighter and Tekken aren't RPGs and were made solely to be fighting games.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
That's because Street Fighter and Tekken aren't RPGs and were made solely to be fighting games.

Hey, you're the one who brought up the story complaining bs like it's somehow relevant.

Dissidia's main focus is fighting. Just because there's a bunch of trappings to the game doesn't change that.

It's a mediocre fighting game at that. Wouldn't say it's terrible or anything, but it's definitely not that memorable or special in any kind of way beyond the Final Fantasy window dressing.

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
This is something that I have been wondering. If there was to be another dissidia how would they progress to make it different from the last. Maybe they might add secondary characters/heroines of FF?

I would love to see Vivi in the new one though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hey, you're the one who brought up the story complaining bs like it's somehow relevant.

Dissidia's main focus is fighting. Just because there's a bunch of trappings to the game doesn't change that.

It's a mediocre fighting game at that. Wouldn't say it's terrible or anything, but it's definitely not that memorable or special in any kind of way beyond the Final Fantasy window dressing.

...I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Ashes, since he brought up the story.

And well considering it's an FF game, that's of course going to be its major selling point. That, and its unique way of fighting and fusing RPG elements. It's not meant to be a typical fighting game. It's not that surprising most players of traditional fighting games wouldn't enjoy how Dissidia did things, but that's more of a statement in taste, compared to how the gameplay is. Because it's not mediocre in terms of its depth or complexity at all.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
If something has the Final Fantasy brand on it, I do kind of expect there to be some care and attention paid to the quality of its story. Especially givent he pedigree of the games whose characters it uses.

But even disregarding the poor story, I just really couldn't get my head around the fighting aspect. It was so tedious and just not very fun. It's not even like I played it for an hour and just gave up, I played the game solidly for about a week trying to convince myself I was enjoying it but I just couldn't.

Maybe if it had borrowed more from Street Fighter or Tekken I would have been more impressed. Hell, maybe if it had taken more from my joke of 'Smash Bros with Final Fantasy characters' I would have enjoyed it better.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
And well considering it's an FF game, that's of course going to be its major selling point.

So, you excuse the story by saying that it's like complaining about the story in SF and Tekken, then turn around and say that Tekken and SF aren't RPGs when I comment on that ridiculous comparison? Ok then.
That, and its unique way of fighting and fusing RPG elements.

Yea, soooooooooooooo unique. If you never played power stone.
Because it's not mediocre in terms of its depth or complexity at all.

This is what Mako actually believes.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
If something has the Final Fantasy brand on it, I do kind of expect there to be some care and attention paid to the quality of its story. Especially givent he pedigree of the games whose characters it uses.

Yeah, ten years ago.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Probably is a result of how they had to condense 20 character stories into a shitty UMD. Everything is very condensed and episodic, which is an understandable criticism. The characters deserve more.

But even disregarding the poor story, I just really couldn't get my head around the fighting aspect. It was so tedious and just not very fun. It's not even like I played it for an hour and just gave up, I played the game solidly for about a week trying to convince myself I was enjoying it but I just couldn't.

What was tedious about it?

I don't understand. People complain about how games are too easy these days or that they cave into player's needs for immediate satisfaction, bringing up how old school games required significant time investment to do things. So when Dissidia went back to the roots where you actually had to play, and invest time into it, I thought that would be a good thing.

Was it the leveling that was tedious? The item customization or weapon creation? I found those things to be actual pluses that made the game more than just your usual casual throwaway game that hands everything to you and just lets you do whatever.

I miss the days when games required you to grind, work, and reward your investment of time and effort with good gameplay. You certainly don't have to work hard to get every piece of level 100 armor, weaponry, and skills, but that's the perk of just playing the game, or more specifically, playing with other people.

What makes the game much more fun and enjoyable is having a real human being to play with. I agree that playing the CPU for hours would definitely get tedious.

Maybe if it had borrowed more from Street Fighter or Tekken I would have been more impressed. Hell, maybe if it had taken more from my joke of 'Smash Bros with Final Fantasy characters' I would have enjoyed it better.

Yeah but then people would be bitching about the game having a shallow nonexistent story, because this is FF and people expect FF level characterization and development. :awesomonster:

GodRoy

Pro Adventurer
I'd like the same cast with new ones, and Lightning pls (also Sahz for good measure). Expand the list, make em WEAR their armours and make em WEILD other weapons too.

I was wondering if anyone thought they should include characters from XII (which I hate) and XIII. And showing different weapons and armors would be cool if that is possible on the psp.

Emmă;251441 said:
Dissidia 2 already? I never finished the first one. :F

Why not?

It wasn't an awful game at all, but the story wasn't deep and it was mainly the awe of battle your favorite ff characters against others. I agree, it was mediocre, but not really horribly bad.

This is something that I have been wondering. If there was to be another dissidia how would they progress to make it different from the last. Maybe they might add secondary characters/heroines of FF?

I would love to see Vivi in the new one though.

Vivi is the single greatest thing contributed to the ff series by FF9, IMO. He would be awesome to play as, and I think the Zack fans would finally get him as well. I don't know, is every game going to include another set of characters or only the hero and villains from the newest games or will it include entire casts of heroes? Including new sets of heroes may unbalance the cast since there is like a 1 to 7 ratio of villains to heroes in FF.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So, you excuse the story by saying that it's like complaining about the story in SF and Tekken, then turn around and say that Tekken and SF aren't RPGs when I comment on that ridiculous comparison? Ok then.

I'm saying that people bitching about stories in fighting games in general just seems a bit weird, seeing as how they're not the main draw in terms of a fighting game in the first place. If its there, its a plus. It's not a requirement nor should it be seen as something that should be looked at as a main selling point.

Ashes addressed the point better than you though so :monster:

Yea, soooooooooooooo unique. If you never played power stone.

That's a horrible and shallow comparison.

This is what Mako actually believes.

Derp.

I already acknowledged Dissidia isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's an understandable opinion, I just kinda did a double take in calling it an awful game, and was curious as to why someone thought that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm saying that people bitching about stories in fighting games in general just seems a bit weird, seeing as how they're not the main draw in terms of a fighting game in the first place. If its there, its a plus. It's not a requirement nor should it be seen as something that should be looked at as a main selling point.

Except you yourself said it was one of the draws of the game. One which isn't a traditional fighting game, so that doesn't excuse it one bit.

That's a horrible and shallow comparison.
No it isn't. That's a massive cop out. They're both games that feature action on a wide open 3d arena. Anyone who has played power stone will notice the similarities between the games, hell a couple reviewers mentioned them. They even compared EX cores to power stones.

I already acknowledged Dissidia isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's an understandable opinion, I just kinda did a double take in calling it an awful game, and was curious as to why someone thought that.
No, you're trying to defend the game because you liked it and the rest of us have opinions that don't please Great Orge Mako.

Dissidia isn't very deep or complex, it's a fucking PSP game, of course it's gonna be a bit simplified, even based on the fucked up controls on the console.

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
It wasn't an awful game at all, but the story wasn't deep and it was mainly the awe of battle your favorite ff characters against others. I agree, it was mediocre, but not really horribly bad.
The story was horribly bad. It started with an excellent premise and some really big, high fantasy ideas...and completely failed to follow through on them. The whole thing felt so much like an empty void of wasted story potential.

GodRoy

Pro Adventurer
The story was horribly bad. It started with an excellent premise and some really big, high fantasy ideas...and completely failed to follow through on them. The whole thing felt so much like an empty void of wasted story potential.

True but almost everything Square Enix makes now adays seems like big ideas that leave nothing but wasted potential. You just gotta put on your nostalgia goggles and play the game in pretend land like every other entry.

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
@GodRoy: Yeah I would expect to see Zack there too! I wouldn't mind some gimmick characters as unlockable, as random as that sounds, like moogles or etc. Could be fun xD

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Maybe Square should just start making better games.

Lowering your standards of what a good game is shouldn't be a prerequisite for your enjoyment of it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Except you yourself said it was one of the draws of the game. One which isn't a traditional fighting game, so that doesn't excuse it one bit.

What the hell are you talking about? When did I say that?

No it isn't. That's a massive cop out. They're both games that feature action on a wide open 3d arena. Anyone who has played power stone will notice the similarities between the games, hell a couple reviewers mentioned them. They even compared EX cores to power stones.

So 3-D fighting and core collection = Power Stone? Okay.

No, you're trying to defend the game because you liked it and the rest of us have opinions that don't please Great Orge Mako.

LOL what the fuck are you talking? I was having a normal discussion with Ashes, to understand his opinion until Sleeping Giant Dac woke up and decided to get in on it too.

Dissidia isn't very deep or complex, it's a fucking PSP game, of course it's gonna be a bit simplified, even based on the fucked up controls on the console.

In terms of its fighting mechanics and how each character plays, yeah, there's a complexity. It isn't SSBB, derp.

Kerr said:

That void probably had something to do with ExDeath but :monster:

Well I agree that it definitely suffered due to it being so condensed and all. It felt like there should've been much more for what it was supposed to be. So I get what you're saying. I'm just more forgiving in that regard I guess.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Lowering your standards of what a good game is shouldn't be a prerequisite for your enjoyment of it.

That, and not put games that represent the 20th anniversary of their flagship series on a goddamn handheld that has a shitty storage medium.Ugh.

I know I'm certainly not lowering my standards in terms of enjoyment, that's for sure. It's just I'm more forgiving in terms of it because I understand what it is. But that doesn't blind me or make me deny that I want more or expect more next time around.

GodRoy

Pro Adventurer

This, and honestly a crossover story should be for like the end of the Final Fantasy series anyways. Even though I believe that they should have left the games to leave their own legacies, a crossover story seems like something that's more important than their individual stories. Since their is a force behind all the good guys and all the bad guys, it seems like the most epic battle and most important part in the characters lives. So you have to choices, make a game with lots of production value to end your series with good note, or make little throw-away non-canon games like Dissidia before the series has reached an end.

Top Bottom