Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Well, that should make Dacon, Aaron, and everyone who's been dissatisfied with Terra's Dissidia characterization happy.
Terra goes out trying to protect Cosmos because that's the only way she could protect Vaan. I'm pleased with this.

D and D said:

I'm curious as to why Kuja is doing what he's doing here. Zidane, at the least, seems to have memories of all the way up through the end of FFIX, at which point Kuja had repented and saved the lives of Zidane and his friends.

Did he at any point ever really consider helping Cosmos's side? Is he just that full of misapplied hate for Zidane?

At any rate, this is either going to be fuel for those who say that Dissidia portrays characters out-of-character, or validation for those who felt that Kuja's deathbed repentence in IX was out-of-character and badly written. Not sure which side of it I come down on with this one.

By the way, guys, I want to say a few things about Kain. On every site discussing this game across the Interweb it seems like, Kain is being labeled a moron for
killing his comrades to protect them, with arguments such as these being thrown around:

-"Reducing the numbers of his comrades means they're definitely going to lose -- and that's exactly what happens. Good job, Kain."

-"So, his plan was to save his comrades from the manikins by killing them this cycle so that they could be here in the next cycle -- where there are also going to be manikins?"

Keep in mind that the revelation about the cycles of the war was offered to him by Golbez -- who schemed with Cosmos to end the cycle. And to do that, they needed to use the crystals/manifestations of Cosmos, and for that they needed Cosmos's warriors -- so keeping them around was a necessity.

And since the villains' plot in the final cycle also required the crystals and the heroes (thanks to Golbez's trickery; the Emperor thought he was with them, not Cosmos), there was no need to fear the heroes getting blitzed by manikins again (this also means Exdeath is not a moron for not just using the same tactics again in 013 -- 'cause the villains weren't really trying to kill the heroes for most of the game).

So, Kain's actions were all just part of Golbez's plan -- which worked. So it was the smart thing to do after all.

So, really, there was nothing stupid about what Kain did. Just saying.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Yeah, there's a lot of Kain-rage on gamefaqs forums. Which is kinda expected because betrayal in stories always pisses people off.

But in reality, Kain was right. The manikin army did come, and it did devastate the heroes. And seeing as how the onslaught was still coming, probably would still have even if the rest of heroes fought back.

If they all stood and fought, the next cycle would have been devastating, too much loss.

So yeah, handled kinda poorly, but Kain wasn't in the wrong so to speak.

SkyGrinderomnislash7IV

Pro Adventurer
So, Kain's actions were all just part of Golbez's plan -- which worked. So it was the smart thing to do after all.

So, really, there was nothing stupid about what Kain did. Just saying.

So in other words, the main characters of FFIV were wholly responsible for stopping Chaos, and Warrior of Light is being an idiot by taking Kains word for it. Also, none of them thought to destroy the maniken maker thingy, and then commit mass suicide, since death is meaningless untill the last war, and taking their own/(eachothers) lives would ensure they all got revived.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
And since the villains' plot in the final cycle also required the crystals and the heroes (thanks to Golbez's trickery; the Emperor thought he was with them, not Cosmos), there was no need to fear the heroes getting blitzed by manikins again (this also means Exdeath is not a moron for not just using the same tactics again in 013 -- 'cause the villains weren't really trying to kill the heroes for most of the game).
Up until Cosmos' death at which point the heros became fair game. And if Kain and WoL had their way the infinite hordes of manikins would still be there at that point. And the world would still be doomed.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Now all is well...

EDIT
BTW if I wanted to be a dick I could translate nakama to partner :awesome:

No, if you were a dick you'd leave it untranslated with an editor's note elsewhere on screen explaining why you left it untranslated.

So in other words, the main characters of FFIV were wholly responsible for stopping Chaos, and Warrior of Light is being an idiot by taking Kains word for it. Also, none of them thought to destroy the maniken maker thingy, and then commit mass suicide, since death is meaningless untill the last war, and taking their own/(eachothers) lives would ensure they all got revived.

The Manikin rush seemed to take them all out pretty quick. Their plan might be to Off each other during a lull, but the redoubled rush meant they couldn't.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I can see another "nakama" translation war on the horizon. 'Cause we totally need a One Piece-esque war on top of the ones we already have. BTW I judge people who try to make Dissidia into romantic evidence

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
LMAO! omg that exchange between Kefka/Seph/Cloud/Tifa is hilarious! Sephiroth sounds like a jilted lover. Oh noez, SHE is here. Fuckin new girl, imma cut her down, that'll get his attention.

Since it cuts to Cosmos right after Cloud's death, does that mean she hears him? What does the bitch say? "Err...about that Cloud.."

BTW I judge people who try to make Dissidia into romantic evidence
It's not my fault SE is being so blatant with all these homoerotic exchanges between Seph & Cloud.

Last edited:

Strifegirl

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Melichan
No, if you were a dick you'd leave it untranslated with an editor's note elsewhere on screen explaining why you left it untranslated.

The Manikin rush seemed to take them all out pretty quick. Their plan might be to Off each other during a lull, but the redoubled rush meant they couldn't.

are these manikins the same things that they are calling "imitations"??? I heard if you are killed by these so called manikins you won't be able to come back o.o

Strifegirl

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Melichan
lol xDD for what I've been reading o.o there are plenty of quotes from the Dissidia Charactares that makes ppl think that indeed there's a romantic evidence between them xDD but that's just fanservice ;3

I'm kinda interested in the fanservice between Cloud and Tifa thou *__*

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
are these manikins the same things that they are calling "imitations"??? I heard if you are killed by these so called manikins you won't be able to come back o.o

Yes, the Imitations are referred to as Manikins in the original Dissidia.

It's not evidence, but I like my fanservice for my OTP XD My OTP was already canon anyway :awesome:

It saves a lot of time and energy to have canon OTPs.
Or OT3s if you can swing it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
All of the cutscenes I've seen in this game are directed very badly.

Where is emotional impact? I see Cloud "die" and I'm like, eh. The ending too. It's so, blah.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You cheered at the ending of Crisis Core didn't you?

You seriously comparing badly directed shit to more badly directed shit? You can have an emotional scene without delving into bad melodrama ffs.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
And everyone knows I hated the shit out of CC's ending and most of its story.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Well there you go then, that explains it. Of course one without a heart or soul will find no emotion in these things.
That's more than a little bit uncalled for. Just because someone doesn't share the same taste as you doesn't mean they have no "heart or soul".

I think Dacon's deal is that he wants entertainment of higher quality. The Scorsese of video game achievements, so to say. He is entitled to his opinion and there is nothing wrong with demanding great storytelling.
The downside though is that you're almost always gonna be disappointed with video games and you're *always* gonna be disappointed with Square products. That is why my expectations are so low and I can't hate Crisis Core for the way it tells its story. It is of the quality I expect it to be.
The game works but yes it could have been better.

No disrespect intended. =)

Top Bottom