Distant Worlds, Paris, March 2014

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Nope.

There's one in Germany in April although it's more likely for me not to go to that one either.

I'm going to Symphonic Selections next month though, so :comedian:

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
Go to ffdistantworlds. com to get yerself on the newsletter that tells you where and when and updates.

I don't know about NC, but the next concert is in Florida on 11/23 which is probably as close as you'll get.

Last year I drove to Toronto, Columbus, and Chicago for Distant Worlds; felt like about 5 hours each plus or minus

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Lex, it's Saturday, March the 8th :) There aren't that many tickets left though; we had to go for the mid-tier "categorie 1" level for the evening show to get decent seats. We booked direct from the venue, as unlike other places, they didn't add any extra fees.

Last edited:

Wolfhart

embraces her dreams
AKA
Monik XIII
As I said in the other topic, I'm thinking of going... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to

Fangu

Great Old One
Flint/Kuro did they post the tickets to you, or do you have to pick them up at the venue?

skyrise

get cape. wear cape. fly.
Flint/Kuro did they post the tickets to you, or do you have to pick them up at the venue?
can i reply this, if i am not flint or kuro? lol

you have a choice, to either pick them there or they can send them to you through post; depends on what you want, really.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
^ Skyrise is right, we had a choice. We decided to pick them up at the venue because it was cheaper :)

It would be super-awesome to see some TLSers there!

skyrise

get cape. wear cape. fly.
^ Skyrise is right, we had a choice. We decided to pick them up at the venue because it was cheaper :)
lol, idk but when I read that, Yuna's voice echoed in my mind- WE HAD NO CHOICE./random

Anyway yeah, it's pretty much the same (money-wise it's obviously better to pick them at the venue) but I opted for post office, only so I can stick the ticket on my board and see it as an important goal; as in to stop spending money (..the very little I have rn anyways) on unecessary crap and have some more to spend in Paris. I'll be staying a few more days after the concert, as well.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So, this just finished. And it was awesome :D Nobuo joined the choir for the encore, One-Winged Angel. I have it on video :)

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I want to go to DW again. I missed my first opportunity a few years ago (when they played at UCLA like MINUTES away from my house) because my SO swore that there would be scalpers. I tried explaining to him the magnitude of the event; that no one in their right mind would sell their ticket if they were lucky enough to get one...
I ended up trolling around UCLA all night listening to the concert from outside the music hall and pining about it. :|

I did get to go a few years later. It was sooo magical.

Well...it was magical for me despite the following nags:
1. The concert stage was on a small island surrounded by water so I was freezing my tits off the whole time.
2. It was outdoors and helicopters (heli-tours) were hovering around the whole time.
3. It was in always-active San Diego so there was a fireworks show going on somewhere downtown at the exact same time.

Arnie Roth actually paused right in the middle of a song on several occasions to wait for the fireworks/helicopters to go away. :|

But you know what...still magical. Nobuo sat in the audience and spoke with people/shook hands. He went on stage for the final song (also OWA as Flintlock mentioned) and started to sing a little solo as a joke. He looked very down to earth and he was wearing clothes that looked like something one might wear to a yoga class. That guy is so radical. :awesome:

Another highlight was that I sat directly in front of the stage (middle area) about two rows back. I also bought the OSTs for FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX and two Distant Worlds albums. <3 <3 <3

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Here's a slightly longer write-up.

The concert was about two and a half hours, including the encore of One-Winged Angel. As I said, Nobuo Uematsu joined the choir, and the audience was also invited to join in (Arnie Roth, the conductor, said "You only need to know one word", to which everyone replied "Sephiroth!") but I couldn't hear those around me making much noise.

Just prior to the encore, Uematsu and Roth performed an (apparently) improvised version of the victory fanfare with a kazoo each. The instruments had been given to them by a particularly excited fan, who must have paid for VIP access at the concert, including the chance to meet the pair of them. She ran up to the edge of the stage to join them for the brief performance, which was well-received by the audience.

I can't remember the whole set list, but the one here seems accurate. The three pieces with a lead vocal part - Melodies of Life, Kiss Me Goodbye and Answers (which I hadn't actually listened to before) - were sung by Susan Calloway, who was great. Vamo' Alla Flamenco and Dear Friends were performed as guitar concertos, and in the latter, the guitarist played a note too early and had to be quickly stopped by Roth. The Chocobo medley got a few laughs out of the audience and was a good way to go to the intermission.

The Opera song from VI was my highlight. Roth said that they were playing the "full, extended version", which included a narrator, though I'm not sure exactly how much longer it was over the "standard" version. There were three classical singers, one each for Maria, Draco and Ralse. I'm not normally a fan of opera - probably because I have no idea what they're singing ("it's just vowels!"), but this really got the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. It was a wonderful performance and drew the first of three standing ovations of the evening. I really have to tip my hat to Uematsu for having the vision to write such an ambitious piece all the way back in 1994 (or probably even earlier), despite the limitations of the hardware he was working with.

TL;DR: 9/10, would go again. Would have been 10/10 if the tickets had been about 20&#8364; less or if the concert had been two or three songs longer. There are still many, many Distant Worlds songs that they didn't play, which I'd love to hear.

Top Bottom