Entire script leaked or just part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I've heard different things about the dialogue leaks. Some say the entire game's script was leaked, while others say it's only part of it. Anyone know for sure which is true? No spoilers, please, trying to go into this as blind as I can. Thanks!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Essentially, it’s what was already in the build when they stamped the Demo.

By script I assume you mean dialogue, yeah? There is a lot from throughout the game, from the beginning through the end, but it is nowhere near the entire script, just what was already baked into the game’s code when they made the demo. This dialogue is liable (and likely) to change before release, and to top it all off there are some dialogue “leaks” that have been pure bullshit from 4chan. So, you know, don’t believe everything you read right now.

Jairus

Ah, that's about what I figured, thanks. Folks on GameFAQs were saying the whole thing was leaked. Guess I shouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
Can someone who's seen the script and dialogue leaks tell me if this is legit? Non-spoiler answer, please.

Warning! Possible Spoilers!

This guy on GameFAQs claims it's every bit of text in the game, from dialogue to banters to system menus and such.
Without having downloaded it myself and reading the comments in that Reddit thread, it seems like it might be. Take that with a grain of salt, though.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
Isn't it impossible to tell if that's all the text before the game comes out? I don't doubt it's a lot of text, but without having anything to compare it to I don't see where this GameFAQs guy gets the confidence to say it's everything.
Not unless this person is directly involved in the making of the game could he attain with 100% certainty the entirety of the script. In which case, if I were a head honcho at SE, I'd want plugged ASAP. We're not that far from release date, so I won't delve too deep into the madness. Lots of unconfirmed rumors and unfinished aspects of the game even to this day despite the demo being datamined.

Jairus

He said it was 1.8 million characters worth of text, the entire story from beginning to end. But based on what you guys have said, I don't see how that can be accurate.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That script file is the compilation of rips of game text that were found within the demo for FFVIIR.

That's not the entire game script. It's merely... A lot. But there are massive gaps and missing lines within it. However, this is the same script and information several other people who downloaded the PSN demo found so it's unlikely they're all faking it. It also matches up with the assets that were pulled from the demo, which included things from the whole game itself. When demos are created, they carry within it files and assets from the whole game from which they were carved from. If a studio doesn't sanitize the demo, or build an entirely separate demo game from scratch, then it's just natural for residual data to be included within the file. Even finalized games have junk data from development still encoded within its code.

So yes, that's the script file that includes lines from the game, but it's not the whole game's script. Just part of it.

Jairus

Thanks, Mako. And, I take it, it's still subject to change? The guy seems to think it's in stone or something.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'll put it like this.

I could imagine that certain things might be tweaked, tightened or polished but given the breadth and scope of this script and game state data, it would be akin to Warner Bros re-shooting "Suicide Squad" because they got spooked and it turned into just... What it is today. I'd imagine a delay would then be needed, and that wouldn't be good at all.

The game script and everything else appears mostly complete, with some final polishing and lighting effects needing to be done. I don't think much would be outright changed from scratch. Maybe polished, refined or cut, but not radically redone.

Jairus

I meant just the dialogue. Is that still subject to change?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I meant just the dialogue. Is that still subject to change?

It depends on how much you mean by "change." Things might be cut, there's still obvious parts of the script missing, but in terms of like, an outright rewrite of the whole plot? No, I doubt that. This seems mostly complete. These are full lines and scenes and all of the labor and stuff attached to it.

Like, I said, this appears like a mostly complete game that's near the tail end of production. This isn't something that's just a rough draft. There's script, dialogue, menus, side quests, inventory, bestiary, etc all the way to the end of the game and all its quests. I highly doubt they'd just re-do it all again.

Jairus

What I mean is, with the gaps you mentioned, could certain things (particular scenes, story beats) that people who've seen the script and think they happen one way actually turn out differently with the addition of the missing text? Are there still things about the story that we don't know and could still go one way or another?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You'd have to be more specific, because I'm not sure what you mean. But given that the stuff is missing, it's unknown what happens there. There's an understood outline to the plot but there are gaps where details and stuff are just not known. But, save for the missing info going, "By the way, this is alllll a dream" I'm not seeing this making a 180 in the plot.

Jairus

I wasn't talking about the overall plot. But certain scenes, character arcs, that sort of thing. Is everything about them and how they'll proceed now known, or are there places where some or all of the interactions and developments are still unknown due to the gaps and thus still open to speculation?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh there's definitely gaps and places where we don't know what's going on.

And anyways we now know it's delayed for 3 weeks so who knows what's gonna happen now! :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom