Eurovision Song Contest!!

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I always thought Eurovision is generally positively received by Europeans but I've seen online comments about it being "shit" and "shameful". Perhaps people are thinking of the crazy/ cheesy music and performances. But personally I think it's cool and there are really good and memorable songs. It's a great show overall. I can only imagine how much more fun it is if I'm European and rooting for my country (or play drinking games :desu: ).

My top three is Norway, Denmark, (not sure what's my top 1 now , I'm suddenly torn between these two) and Germany. I wanna see them in the finals pl0x.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
What time are you guys usually on (I'm in Eastern Time US)?
Mine and Lex's timezone is GMT. It starts about 8 our time, but I'm sure we'll be on half hour or an hour before at the very least.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I might well be lurking around like a bad fart. I do enjoy lolling at Eurovision.
I dunno about people being all elitist about Eurovision, I do laugh at how the countries buddy up and vote for their chums more than quality of performance (yes I did just say that). It always tickles me when people mention a 'credible' entry for Eurovision. They clearly don't get the humour.

Also, the UK's entry is shit. We've lost. :lol:

Lex

Administrator
^People always say that, but then they're hypocritical and complain when Ireland don't give their 12 points to the UK every year even though our entry is ALWAYS shit. Possibly the worst most years tbh.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I hate that the UK keep trying to get a celebrity to represent. I think they've given up trying, like they accept that there has to be an element of shitness. This year they just grabbed a song off Bonnie Tyler's new album. Don't know why, because her voice sounds so strained. Fact that Jordan nearly represented us says it all.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Absolutely agree on all accounts. The last entry I liked was Jade Ewen and that was four years ago, albeit the entry wasn't the best song in the world nor the worst. The UK is never going to win it, there are too many factors preventing it from happening.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao1_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao2_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao3_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao4_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao5_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao6_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao7_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao8_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao9_1280.png

tumblr_mmk56a01Y91ryamuao10_1280.png
< really big images :desu:

Fangu

Great Old One
This is so accurate :lol: Especially the "but somehow the faves manage to win the contest in the end" "how?" "we jus don konwe" Which is really the thing isn't it, the winner usually deserves the title, unless we're talking a year where there aren't any really good number that stands out - like when Azerbaijan won in 2011 and Italy came in 2nd. Don't get me wrong, Azerbaijan deserved the title sooner or later because they've been very active with the ESC since their debut in 2008 and has delivered quality every year, but not for THAT song. (Another country I think/hope do well is Armenia, their debut was nice.)

The part about drama for not giving your neighbour points is sooo true in Scandinavia as well - I remember when Norway gave Sweden "only" 5 or 6 points for Charlotte Pirelli's "Hero" a few years ago Swedish newspapers had headlines like "our neighbour contries betrayed us when we needed them the most" the day after :lol:

Iceland always gives Denmark 12 points, the eastern countries give Russia points because they're scared :lol: (Nah it's probably more like a friendly wave to their previous manager, idk) Oh and yeah Cyprus always gives Greece 12 points for Greece stepping in when Turkey wanted to take over Cyprus or what that was. They never gave Turkey points until Sertab (sp?) won the contest in 2003 - they gave her 3 points or something, and everyone was like OMFG TRUCE!!

There's a lot of politics in this show, yeah :lol: I watched a documentary on it once that was really good. People joke about Eurovision, but it's an important venue, like the Olympics, letting countries come together in a friendly contest. It's an interesting show for several reasons.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Oh God, that was so accurate. Thank you so much for sharing it! It's true that this shit gets intense when the real voting gets in. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
meny meny years ago

when i was a leetal chaild

mama tolt me u shud no

that ar wurld iss crool and wailt

<3

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
So there's no straight male contestant evar, I knew it. It's just "hot women and gay men" :lol:

The UK just have to let themselves go and have fun with it. Away with the safe and seri0s entries and bring in the crazy ones!

Anybody notice that "1Direction2023" is actually Blue? xD

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
You think he's gay?

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
^You don't? It is known in Finland that all Swedish men are gay. :awesome:

I think 2011 was probably the worst eurovision year since I've watched. The only entry that I liked was Italy, and luckily it came second. Most entries were just blah, and it was one of the two times that I didn't bother watching the winner perform again. :/

So there's no straight male contestant evar, I knew it. It's just "hot women and gay men" :lol:

Sakis Rouvas is not gay! He is not! :catfight: I'll prove it with this video, which was the entry of Greece in 2003:

You see, he has lots of women. He's the ridiculously cheesy Greek God!

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
^I would have considered joining, but my voice is really bad at the moment and I'm coughing a lot so it wouldn't be a good idea. :(

So I just saw the Ukraine entry for the first time and I don't really get the hype. I think it's a mediocore eurovision song really. :/ The girl is really pretty and she's a really good singer, but the song is not that good and quite plain really.

This Montenegro's entry on the other hand... :awesome: I like the space rappers!

Fangu

Great Old One
We're mostly on typing chat anyway, let me know if you want in and I'll add you :)

So far I like Denmark and Moldova the most. Montenegro was hysterical :lol:

Fangu

Great Old One
It's safe, it's just a HD plugin or something :) (Not that the stream is in HD anyway, really lame)

My 10 I want to make it to the final:

Estonia
Croatia
Denmark
Russia
Ukraine
Montenegro
Moldova
Ireland
Belgium
Serbia

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Thanks Fangu, but I have some uni work that I have to do for tomorrow, so I better try to get those done. I could join you on Thursday though. :)

My top ten is quite similar except that I don't have Croatia or Serbia on my list. Instead I have Netherlands (which I really liked) and Slovenia. I didn't really see all the entries, but I picked a couple from the samples.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Sorry for double post but... JukkasJärvi... That might be in Sweden but it must be really close to Finland or have a lot of Finnish people living there because that is a Finnish name. Jukka is a Finnish name and järvi means a lake, so Jukkasjärvi = Jukka's lake. :D

...Why do I have the feeling that I'm speaking too much about Finland in here?

P.S. I love Italy's entry. <3

Top Bottom