• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Evangelion

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am glad i have a set on bluray that has fmttm, because if you're a long time fan that is a memorable part of the experience (even though in the adv perfect edition i'm pretty sure they didn't use the correct ending credits for every episode and reused the standard version for some with originally had unique ones in japanese?). but giving it 1 star for that when it hasn't even been released seems silly. the different dubs is another thing and i can understand that, and not having both dubs just seems pointless. but still. not watched any of the netflix dub but obata shinji = only true shinji

although i read that ritsuko calls asuka a 'little bitch' in one of the adv dub episodes and excuse me?? not my ritsuko.

although i might see that for the manga version of ritsuko who almost strangles rei for getting sassy. that was a shock.

i've now past how far i originally got in the manga (i owned up to volume 7) and i am liking seeing different interpretations of the characters. the dynamic between rei and shinji being a bit closer is interesting, and in the series i thought asuka never really got over her antagonism towards shinji but in the manga she seems a bit more softer?

although having kaji talk about his past instead of shinji in the shelter and unit 2's head crashes through the wall and not having rei saying she'll make it so shinji doesn't have to pilot again while he's watching her, not sure about that.

also this kaworu is a jerk and i'm not feeling this. i am going to inevitably compare it to the original but having him constantly pushing shinji instead of being kind towards him, idk about this.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I mean, if that's the version I have to get, I guess I will. I'd just like to have consistency.

Good news! The Blu-ray also comes with all 26 episodes so it's consistently dubbed... with Netflix! :desu:

I might be wrong, but I think that Manga edition was the only EoE DVD ever released in North America. And the video quality could suck a peach pit through a coffee straw. I did find it new for $65.95 rather easily though. The alternative for the original dub is the Collector's Edition Blu-ray which is $175 pre-order.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Shit, I might just say eff it and get the GKIDS Collector's Edition. If I decide I've gone overboard, I can always resell one of these sets.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
On that note, which version of this one would you recommend?

As others have already answered, there's been only one release of End of Evangelion in NA, available either by itself or bundled with Death & Rebirth.

I don't know if you watch dubs or subs, but if watch subs, then getting the standard GKIDS Blu-ray release is an almost perfect alternative to Manga's DVD attempt. Assuming the GKIDS Blu-ray release is just the Netflix version on a disk, then we can bet the bitrate will be higher and the music untampered with. The only difference will be the translation (e.g. First Child becoming First Children).

I absolutely don't mean to begin a dubs vs subs debate, but I gotta say, I can't stand to sit through even 5 minutes of the classic ADV English dub. Misato's character suffers the most. For me, the English performance sounds like an adult acting in a children's play. In contrast, the Japanese performance is incredible. Even her cheerful lines carry a bit of loneliness, like someone overcompensating to mask their inner sadness. The Japanese performance for Shinji is similarly incredible. If I had to watch a dub, I'd take Netflix's over ADV's in a heartbeat. On Netflix, Ray Chase, Noctis's voice actor, voices Gendo Ikari and is real good. I love that guy!

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
#mangashinjiisoverparty

qCTNT0q.jpg

i'm up to the start of the end of eva story in the manga. but i gotta say, shinji having to kill kaworu in this one didn't seem like much of a tough choice. in the anime kaworu is kind and friendly to shinji without issues like misato (feeling like it's just her job, etc.), so it feels like more of a betrayal when he turns and a difficult choice. in the manga, kaworu has been a jerk to shinji the entire time he was around and they never seemed to bond. oh no, you mean i have to kill this guy who has been antagonising me since the moment we met. let me just gently wrap him up in my giant robot hands and squish him like a little bug. this is for the kitten, you horrid little twink

not happy with manga kaworu. look how they massacred my boy

i'm interested to see how it goes through the end of eva stuff, since there's 3 books left and that seems too many to just directly cover the events of the film.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I always wondered if anime Kaworu was being intentionally (or maybe subconsciously?) manipulative to break Shinji, similarly to how Arael forcefully breaks Asuka's mind.

Its not something I'm wholly sold on this, I thought the the manga leaned much more into a more malevolent reading of the character. 3.33 is a bit more explicit with Kaworu having a more manipulative side, but using his free will to ultimately save Shinji. The Rebuild's are also a lot more explicit with Kaworu
being a foil (and possibly a clone of? I may have inferred this from what was shown but I don't recall if it was made explicit) Gendo.

I've been kind of sitting with the Rebuilds for a bit. As much as I prefer the anime series overall in terms of how it presents the characters, Rei and Kaworu are the two that gain the most from what Rebuild has to offer.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Wanted to share my thoughts on One More Final, the final scene of End of Evangelion.

In One More Final, Shinji strangles Asuka. Despite the pain, Asuka comforts Shinji. It's morbid and wholly detached from the previous events where Shinji peacefully rejected instrumentality. Similarly to Shin Godzilla's final scene, One More Final burrows dread into the viewer's mind immediately after an acceptable resolution. Over time I've begun to process it. Here's where I'm at.

One More Final should be viewed in insolation from the rest of the movie. It functions as a self-contained epilogue. Don't take my word for it, here's what director Hideaki Anno has to say:

Anno also guided Ogata [Shinji's voice actress] to treat [One More Final] partly as a separate story: "as something that just exists. As if everything that happened before in the movie is merely a dream that never happened. It is its own narrative unity, something that can fundamentally be taken away from its context in the movie and still be interpreted as a dramatic whole. It is and is not the final scene of EoE."

Leaving behind the baggage of the rest of the film makes One More Final a bit easier to process. To me, the scene encapsulates the hedgehog dilemma, the show's analogy for human connectedness. People need love, but the closer we get, the more we hurt each other. In One More Final, love and pain exist in equal measure. Shinji's hands as the hedgehog's spike and Asuka's hand as the warmth during a cold winter night. The scene physically and succinctly represents the show's viewpoint on togetherness.

While no doubt disturbing, One More Final is also hopeful. It closes the movie with a striking act of compassion. This duality has made it my favorite scene in the whole series and the one I can't bare to watch the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom