• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FAQ Updates

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Hey guys, I have taken it upon myself to address some concerns about the FAQ System. I am working on making the information a bit easier to read and answering some of the long-standing questions that a lot of newbies ask. This is a public forum to ask question that you would like answered, and would like to appear in the FAQ.

Posts not immediately related to the FAQ will be moved to an appropriate thread.

To start with, here's a few ones that I feel like get asked a lot.

You earn ranks based on post count. It is just an honor and does not imply anything other than veteran status.

Newbie - 1-19 posts
Junior Member - 20-74 posts
Full Member - 75-199 posts
Senior Member - 200-499 posts
Epic Member - 500-1499 posts
Ascended Member - 1500-2999 posts
Elite Member - 3000-4999 posts
Legendary Member - 5000-9000 posts
Great Old One - 9001+ posts

I feel this is best answered by Lex's earlier post:

Forum Staff (Admins and Moderators/ Super Moderators) are the people who deal with reports etc. and can do things like change your username. The following people currently fit into that category - Yop, X, Tres, Me, Octo, Mog, Joe, Force, Ghost.

Site Staff (Anything with "site" or "editor" in the user title) deal with the front page and are not forum staff members, but have access to a limited amount of the staff section (they cannot see reports/ mod stuff/ the private feedback forum). So Tets is the Final Fantasy Editor, I'm the Site Director, Force is a Site Author, Vader is the Podcast Director, JT is the Community Manager etc. etc.

==

As additional information Site Staff have their name appear in cyan and Forum Staff have their name appear in Blue.

A commonly requested one. It works as such. Say you wanted to share a video of the Aerith - Draw My Life with this URL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaK1AG75Lw)

First you use the BBCode tag [ youtube ] [ /youtube ] (sans the spaces). In between those tags, you put the last part of the URL "AzaK1AG75Lw"

Code:
[ youtube ] AzaK1AG75Lw [ /youtube ]
*without the spaces

Yes. Make your request to the Forum Staff in this thread. Also be aware of the Admin Note included in the first post of that thread:

"If you want your name changed, you must identify yourself in your aka field fully enough that a regular member who had been absent for a few weeks would reasonably be able to identify you upon returning. If you have not identified yourself in your aka field within a few days of having your name changed, your name will be changed to your most frequently known identity at a staff member's discretion. There will be no exceptions to this rule."

The AKA Field can be edited in the User Control Panel - (User CP > Edit Your Details > Additional Information).

If your request for a username change is a matter of protecting your privacy (e.g. you don't want a public record of your previous username), please create a thread in the Private Feedback Forum to make your request.

A complete list of Forum BBCode can be found here: http://thelifestream.net/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Okay, so keep questions coming. Primarily looking for questions from the mouths of newcomers, but also any commonly heard questions from the vets would be welcome!

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"Can I change my username?" might be worth including.

Answer then being:
----
Yes. Make your request to the Forum Staff in this thread. Also be aware of the Admin Note included in the first post of that thread:

"If you want your name changed, you must identify yourself in your aka field fully enough that a regular member who had been absent for a few weeks would reasonably be able to identify you upon returning. If you have not identified yourself in your aka field within a few days of having your name changed, your name will be changed to your most frequently known identity at a staff member's discretion. There will be no exceptions to this rule."

If your request for a username change is a matter of protecting your privacy (e.g. you don't want a public record of your previous username), please create a thread in the Private Feedback Forum to make your request.
----

Last edited:

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
May also want to throw in where the user can find the aka field somewhere in that one (User CP > Edit Your Details > Additional Information).

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
The stuff about BBCodes - which is all down there at the bottom of the screen under posting rules but I only realised you could click that the other day. So yeah, that should be included/ made moar prominent. http://thelifestream.net/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

I mean, do kids today even know what BBCodes are? Cos all the social media stuff makes it moar simple to do all that stuff innit? I just realised that BBCodes are like cooking beans in a pan instead of the microwave and it tears me up inside :@

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Updated the first post accordingly! Keep 'em coming!

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I kinda wonder if the Youtube question warrants it's own question because it's a BBcode question... if you leave that to itself you kinda open the floodgates for all bbcode questions to be asked?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always get excited when I forget and think that "blinkies" makes the FF7 Limit Break text.

It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.
It does not.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I kinda wonder if the Youtube question warrants it's own question because it's a BBcode question... if you leave that to itself you kinda open the floodgates for all bbcode questions to be asked?

The thing is though everybody and their brother asks about embedding Youtube videos, whereas not everybody knows about say our sarcasm text, blinkies, etc. I'm still working on the best way to break up and sort this information, though I imagine it would work something like this,.

Under Post Formatting, i would explain about BBCode and then have a specific callout to the embedding Youtube while also listing all the other cool things BBCode can do.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm probably being nitpicky but my OCD is like "NO, THAT'S BBCODE IT DOES NOT DESERVE IT'S OWN QUESTION." :monster:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Maybe we should group the stuff about what you can do with your post together, or at least close by if they're separate. Some people don't immediately realize what some of the buttons on the post interface do. It took me a while just to notice the tiny arrows that could expand or reduce the size of the post box.

There's also the matter of how some things concerning the BB codes could use added details, such as how to manually source a quote, link and everything.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Easiest course of action then would be to have a heading for Post Formatting, Subheading for BBCode and then a variety of sections for stuff like font, etc etc. I'll try to find a happy medium.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Perhaps changing the name of BBCode to something more descriptive? Someone new to forums may not know that BBCode is the term used for general formatting and embedding and may not think to look that up.

If we can think up of a more descriptive primary name but leave BBCode as a secondary/subname so that it still picks up hits on a search should someone look that up it should cover all bases. Coupled with how Jason wants to handle categorizing it on the FAQ itself it should work.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Would Post Formatting Codes or Forum Codes be descriptive enough?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
That's a toughy.

While "Formatting Codes" would be an accurate descriptor I feel like "Forum Codes" might be generic enough to catch more hits.

Either way I think either one might pick up more hits then just BBCodes alone.

Also to consider is that from what it looks like the search function in the FAQ bar picks up any page with a particular word in it even if it's not a relevant or accurate result for the query.

So what we could do is at the bottom of the page is just have a tags portion that sectioned off filled with a bunch of words we think might help pick up the relevant page in a search.

Though if we are not careful and make the tags diverse enough it could also result in many irrelevant pages being picked up as well.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
If only we had a many times proven expert of tag-lore, eh Gabe? :thor:

Not to sound like a broken record but this is still brainstorming. I don't mind trial and error til we find something that works. I think the search is still a must, as is a clearly spelled out table of contents. But I also think rather than dividing by broadstrokes we should be dividing topics by function.

i.e. Post Formatting, BBCodes, quoting and picture etiqueete would be grouped.

User title ranks, staff descriptors and User CP would also be grouped.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Little late to say this, but for the record I had no idea what BBCode meant when I first joined. Actually I still didn't know for a while after joining. I was calling those things like 'spoiler tags' and whatnot, I mean I was extremely new to this stuff. Calling them just 'Codes' or Formatting Codes does sound more... Practical I guess. Like I dunno what BB stands for (still :wacky:) but hearing formatting codes sounds pretty self explanatory.
(Though known me if still wonder what kind of formatting, but regardless if there was a handy list that I could easily find to tell me what codes to use would be cool, especially when I was new. I never knew a list existed until like last week) :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Bulletin Board, :monster:

I'm sure the term / technology is about as old and unused as mailing lists are tbf. I'd love for simple markdown formatting, then you could just do *bold* and shit.

AvecAloes

Donator
Hey I had no idea how to do any of that stuff when I first joined. I would ask Force via email sometimes, or even just hit the quote button on someone's post who had used spoiler tags or whatever it was that I didn't know how to make. I was completely new to forums and had no idea that stuff was called BB code, so even if I had known that there was a link I could click that would show me all the codes, I wouldn't have known to look for a link called BB code.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Post_Formatting_One_Sheet.png

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So would you sample ALL the codes? Cause that could get bogged down pretty quick..

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Post_Formatting_One_Sheet.png

Ninja'd myself it seems. Check my edited post. I do a visual aid for some of the essential BBCode and then provide a link to source all the rest. To the beginning poster there is literally no need to showcase every possible BBCode, but I do provide a link as to where the rest can be found.

Edit:
Post_Formatting_One_Sheet.jpg

Now I think about it, I probably want to add Spoiler Tags to this one sheet, but that's the last one we'd really need for a tutorial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom