• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Favorite Books/Authors

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
List them, fgj. :monster:

Too many books, so I'll list some authors:

Cormac McCarthy, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Nawal El Saadawi, Alan Moore, Edgar Allen Poe, Vladimir Solovyov, Mikhail Epstein, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Nikolai Berdyaev

Will write more when there's light in my room to look at my book shelf.

Hunchback of Notre Dame
Frankenstein
Kingdom Keepers
The Tale of Despereaux

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I dunno, lol :monster:. Whilst I have a shelf full 'o books, I haven't yet been able to read enough of 'em (or enough diverse books for that matter) to give a proper listing. George R.R. Martin and Pratchett are good though.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Vladmir Nabokov, Ursula Le Guin, Phillip Pullman, Neil Gaiman and Jane Austen.

I think those are the only specific authors that I'd seek out. I have favourite books, but I don't necessarily like everything out out by the particular author who wrote one of my favourite books.

Anyways, to list some books I like: Lolita, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Little Women, Gone With the Wind, The Outsiders, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, the Darren Shan series...

I think I have a "Books I Should Read List" that's around 5 pages long. I have so little time for that howadays :(

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
HDM is pretty good 90% of the way, but Pullman totally ruined it at the end with excessive gheyness and incomplete explanations. Speaking of, any news on whether they're going to dare to filmify the second book? They pulled it off with the first one without offending too much (and my dad totally didn't see the church references, xD), but I doubt they'd manage with the second without changing massive bits of the plot. Wikipedia doesn't shed any light on the matter, so yar.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I don't know, the first film did quite poor at the box office. It was accurate enough to the source material, but something about it didn't quite sit right for me. I can't place my finger on it.

I remember the expectation of that film very clearly. I work at a movie theatre, so on the opening night my managers staffed as much as they could expecting it to be a really big release. In the end, I think they had to send 10 or so people home.

They did manage to not offend anyone, but I don't think they should have cut the ending like that. I heard that if they do end up making the next one, they'd include it. I dunno, it seems unlikely as of now because as you said it would be difficult to pull off, plus it'd be a huge risk considering the first didn't succeed.

It did terrible, so changes of the second and third books being done is very slim. I'm actually just reading the books right now, and enjoying them so far (only a few chapters in I think, if even that).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hrm, well, if they performed p00rly at the cinema's, I doubt they'd make sequels. They made the mistake of positioning it into the market as the next Lord of the Rings, which it just isn't.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The Golden Compass didn't actually do badly at the box office internationally. But no one gives a shit about international viewing so I think a sequel is unlikely, sadly.

For fiction, my favourite works/authors include GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, anything by Pratchett, China Miéville's Bas-Lag trilogy, Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed, Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and anything by Orwell. I've also started Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and if the whole thing is as good as the first half of the first book it'll be on my all-time favourites list.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but that should be a fair kickoff selection, I think.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were fairly epic, but after that I felt the series lost focus. The first two are definitely some of my favourites though.

firehahahahahaha

fire master
I could never get into Speaker of the Dead, so I never bothered with the one after. Although I did go through Enders Shadow and it was pretty good, and he's aparently just got a new book out that's supposedly pretty good

Wolf

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I like plenty of books, anything to do with Fantasy is a must have.

Which is why it's no surprise I favor Dragonlance novels currently, but I do have a love for traditional novels too, such as Count of Monte Cristo.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
My favorite author, by far, is Neil Gaiman. I love his writing style and his sense of humor. (I highly recommend Good Omens, by him and Terry Pratchett.)

Some of my other favorite books are:

-The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey-Total rip-off of Lord of the Rings, really, but told from the point of view of the bad guys. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40222.Banewreaker)

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami-It is the basis for the Japanese movie of the same name. Way better, though, even if I do believe the English translation could be a bit better... (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57891.Battle_Royale)

Isabel Burning by Donna Lynch-Probably a bit biased about this one, since it's by the vocalist of a band I like, but it is interesting. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4330764.Isabel_Burning)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon-Told from the point of a fifteen year old with Asperger's. I adored the writing style, but a lot of people seem to hate it. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1618.The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night_time)

Perfume by Patrick Suskind-I love some really sick books. :monster: It's about a creepy guy that has a really amazing sense of smell, who ends up killing some girls to make the best perfume ever. Very unexpected ending. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/575750.Perfume)

I may add more to this list later~

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't know how I forgot Kurt Vonnegut, Terry Pratchett, Robert Anton Wilson, Grant Morrison or Alan Moore above. Epic fail on my part. I'm also going to thrown in Jorge Luis Borges and Roberto Bolaño.

sheens

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sheens, Mooglet
The English translation of Battle Royale was done by someone that is Japanese themselves, and I actually thought it gave a nice, quirky feel to the book, amidst all the sadness and poignancy, but that's just my view on the translation. It is a brilliant book though.

I thought Stephen King's 'The Long Walk' as Richard Bachman was a good book as well. I guess I have a thing for dystopic novels, as I throughly enjoyed Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go' also.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
Seconding Kurt Vonnegut.

Also really dig:

Neal Stephenson (have yet to read anathem though), Joseph Heller, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami, and starting to - not without some early reluctance - get into dostoyevsky per Aaron's nudging. So far I've only gone halfway through "the idiot". My brain can only handle so much. :(

There are more, but I just can't recall atm.

Favorite books....just the ones off the top of my head

- Oryx and Crake
- Norwegian Wood
- Catch - 22
- Slaughter-house Five
- North & South (yep....Elizabeth Gaskell, so what?)

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Dostoyevsky is awesome. :monster:

I've read The Brothers Karamazov twice, Crime and Punishment, and Notes from Underground. I haven't read the The Idiot yet. And, I also want to read The Gambler. Hopefully I'll be arsed to read them sometime soon.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Dostoevsky is difficult reading but worth it. I'd place Thomas Pynchon and Roberto Bolaño in the same category. I still need to finish The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov myself. Also Gravity's Rainbow.

Stella

Pro Adventurer
Authors: Stephanie Meyer, L.A. Meyer, Phillip Pullman, Christoper Paolini, David Clement-Davies, Gail Carson Levine, Nicholas Sparks, and C.S. Lewis.

Books: The Twilight Series, the Inheritance Trilogy, the Bloody Jack Series, the Chronicles of Narnia, the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, the Amber Spyglass, the Guardian, A Bend in the Road, Nights in Rodanthe, and Fire Bringer.

...and those are just the ones off the top of my head XD It's safe to say I looove to read.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone here use a site to catalog what they read? I have a Goodreads account if anyone's interested in seeing it or adding me.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I was cataloguing on facebook, but I got lazy and stopped.

Top Bottom