FF7 Staffer Comments on Longstanding Gaming Mystery, Reputation of JRPGs Today

GlitterBerri

赤橙黄緑青紺&#
In a new article on GlitterBerri, I track down a certain Final Fantasy VII developer to ask him about the unused Travelling Salesman side quest cut from the game. He also comments on the making of the highly acclaimed PSX title, and details his thoughts on why JRPGs are being derided today.

"These days, development staff have been focused on emphasizing their games’ presentation. Unfortunately, as a result, there aren’t any games being made that have the power to surpass FFVII. As hardware improves, it becomes very difficult to create JRPG-type games, so I think that’s one of the reasons JRPGs have been criticized as outdated and stale by the American game media. (Certainly, much as it pains me, I can’t help but observe that present-day Final Fantasy doesn’t compare to the visuals and real-time aspect of games like Uncharted and Call of Duty.)”

(The letter is at the bottom of the page, following an introduction to the unused sidequest.)

Read what he has to say here!

Lex

Administrator
HOLY CRAP.

This is amazing, and absolutely needs to be news-posted! Would you object to me writing one here?

GlitterBerri

赤橙黄緑青紺&#
No, of course not. :) Provided you link the article and maybe give some highlights, rather than rehosting the whole thing!

Lex

Administrator
Of course, I'll start writing it now ^_^.

EDIT: Should probably have updated this last night to mention the newspost has been written now.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Yeah I thought what he had to say was really interesting, it was cool to hear that from someone who's actually done work on FF7.

Top Bottom