• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FF7 - The Web Series - Now on Kickstarter

Pixel

The Pixie King
Help kickstart this production now! For info about the production, follow this link, watch the video, and read all about it. Simple :D Even if you can't donate, you can still help by sharing this on social media. Every little helps.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr

WHAT IS FFVII: THE WEB SERIES ?

Final Fantasy VII: The Web Series is a fan project dedicated to bringing the characters, events, and excitement seen in the iconic videogame Final Fantasy VII into a live-action web series. Both the game and the series follow Cloud Strife, a former elite soldier turned mercenary, who joins the eco-terrorist group AVALANCHE in their campaign to stop the huge mega-corporation Shinra from draining the planet’s life energy. The threat, however, looms larger than anyone can predict. Over 10 million copies of the Final Fantasy VII videogame have been sold globally, and the game still captures the imagination of gamers all over the world. Our web series is a tribute to Squaresoft’s (now Square Enix) genius, and season one is going to be 5-6 episodes of about 15 minutes each, totaling 80-90 minutes. You may be one of the half a million people that have seen our concept trailer before, but if you haven’t, we invite you to check it out via the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36HbN0w8x4

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The web series has had lots of TLS members working on it too. Prince Lex, Mr. Ite, looneymoon, and more.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Im hoping this succeeds, but looking at right now, it doesnt look like it'll even hit 50,000 :( I think as soon as people see barret in the videos, the think... er, no thanks

Pixel

The Pixie King
I know, but reading some of the comments, i dont know if people realise that. The just see a skinny black guy with a ridiculous looking gunarm and think thats what its gonna be like.

The concept trailer is a blessing and a curse.

Lex

Administrator
They're discussing that now. It's one of the reasons I didn't use it in the article.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Theres a shot of him in the kickstarter vid too. Oh well, they had to include footage from it, but it should have just been scene setting stuff, examples of the cinematography

Fangu

Great Old One
That dude is not skinny! Too short and not fat enough maybe, but there is some serious muscle on him. What I'd rather say is that he is way too young.

He does not look like Barret and the gun arm looks silly. :monster: I can look past this fact because I realize there is more going on with the vision, but like Pixel said, others might not.

If they could create a video where they advertise Mars Crain, in full Barret gear, that might help advertise the kickstarter better.

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
Now where in the world did you get all those Kupo nuts!? ;) I'm telling the Moogles ... wait where are the Moogles! :o

Oh man, I'm tempted to shell out £100 for the soundtracks, can't wait to hear the remixes for Aerith's themes :aeriball:

I also think the Advent Children is a dirty word mentality is the right track to take, if you have people who are skeptical because of the Compilation/thought their experiences were damaged by it, maybe you can win them back that way :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Those are really cool Pixel, I've left a note with the appropriate parties that you're doing this.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
He does not look like Barret and the gun arm looks silly. :monster: I can look past this fact because I realize there is more going on with the vision, but like Pixel said, others might not.

I really didn't mind Barret in the trailer. It was Aerith's ridiculous-looking ribbon that bothered me the most :monster:

If they could create a video where they advertise Mars Crain, in full Barret gear, that might help advertise the kickstarter better.

This. Or perhaps, Margie Cox as Tifa.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
One question they missed from the FAQ on their Kickstarter page is "What happens if you don't raise the money?". They will get either $400,000 or nothing, and at the moment, it seems likely that they'll get nothing. Will that be the end of the project, after all the time they've already sunk into it for no reward, or will they scale it back so they can still get something out? Does anyone know?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Somebody needs to know. They're not going to raise that unless a) there's one really rich FFVII fan out there or b) they find a rich investor who thinks they will see a return on it.

EDIT: Some advice from the Kickstarter page they should follow --

Travis Jordan
about 7 hours ago
Could the fans get a new sneak peek, or something new? Let's be honest, there is only one video you've have shown so far, which have been out for sometime now. So could we get another trailer, or see the actor who's playing Cloud! Just so I can feel a little more confident to invest in this project more. I'm also sure this will help in your favor too! Specially if you show more, and new content. And if you were able to upload it on youtube, it will get the word out there more faster. The first trailer is cool, but your next trailer needs a little more action to knock be off their feet, and little more acting to see what your series consist of. So fans, or even people who's not familiar with the franchise would be more intrigued to help. Then I'm sure you'll meet your goal! P.S. Just a FFVII fan, who's trying to help...Good Luck guys ;)

Fangu

Great Old One
^ That part about Cloud is a very good point. They're asking for $400,000 but have yet to put a face to the most important character of all of them. But I guess that's the whole point - professional actors must be paid: You need money to pay the actors, and you need to show acting to get money. Maybe they should have asked for less and just pledge to make the first season, I don't know.

I am impressed with the kickstarter video, and I am impressed with what they've managed to pull together. The visuals look really good and the music sounds great. But there are a few key things I would like to know more about - like does there even exist a manuscript? I see it says so in the text, but I can't recall the video mentioning it. Sorry if it does. Anyway I'm missing a breakdown of the project, basically. A catch phrase, the vision summed up very shortly. Not just "make a live action of VII", but something like "the story of VII told from the POV of Cloud" or something similar (I see it says "the story follows Cloud" but that's not the same), because I think crossing over to a different medium always means you have to change the story a bit, or, tell it a different way. To me it isn't important at all that Aerith's dress has the right color. It's more important that the dialogue between her and character x is good, and we're yet to see any dialogue between the actors. Impressive visuals to me is 'okay wow that's neat' but that doesn't matter if the dialogue that follows falls flat on its face.

What I would like to see is something like: Put Tifa's actress and Barrett's actor in a bar and shoot a 2 minute scene with dialogue. Something like where they talk about Shinra, Avalanche, life in Midgar and recently finding Cloud, or something. That to me would tell me right away if I have faith in the project or not, because to me the manuscript and understanding the characters is pretty much key. I would love to see some of the storyboards mentioned as well.

But, as I said, without money that's probably hard to do. And $380,000 in 23 days is a lot of money. I don't doubt there are fans of VII enough, but it's probably hard to reach out to all of them.

Edit:
Will you ever use the words "Dilly dally shilly shally?"
Er, no, and we're kind of offended that you would ask that. We're remaking FFVII, not Advent Children.
To me this has a bit too much 'tude for a project that fronts itself as being 'professional'. At least recognize that Advent Children has been a door opener into the VII universe for a lot of people. I get a 'we want everybody to give us money, but we'd prefer it if it was just the oldschool VII fans' vibe from this answer.

Last edited:

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
I've kept my mouth shut on several things regarding the web series out of respect for my former colleagues, but I'm sorry to admit that I'm in no way surprised that the management have not generated the kind of support they had hoped for. The talent on this project is incredible and it is a great shame that much of it will not get the attention they deserve.

When I watched the video for the first time, I was in genuine shock because there are sections of it that are inaccurate, while others are verging on outright lies (I know this as I was one of the project managers for several months and was privy to all the dirty little secrets). Reading the comments and 'official' responses, I have to keep myself from laughing as the opinions towards the fans are extraordinarily dismissive at times.

I love the whole idea and I love the work by the vast majority of those involved, but it saddens me that things have come to this.

Pixel

The Pixie King
lol, yeah, I think most people can see through some of what has been said.

I would do some original artwork for them to sell as prints, but without someone pulling their finger out and supporting it, theres no point in trying.

Lex

Administrator
Re: A new trailer, the first one cost around $30,000 to make so there's not much chance of another one happening, also considering most of the crew live in different countries.

And Fangu, the Kickstarter is just to fund a first season, it's not for the whole game.

Also a manuscript already has been written. S and G and Mr. Ite were working on it initially, Mr. Ite on his own after S and G left the project.

Just thought I'd address these points since I'd be remiss knowing the answers and not addressing them lol.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
Re: A new trailer, the first one cost around $30,000 to make so there's not much chance of another one happening, also considering most of the crew live in different countries.

Also a manuscript already has been written. S and G and Mr. Ite were working on it initially, Mr. Ite on his own after S and G left the project.

$30,000 is one of those random figures a certain individual has pulled out the air and used to hilight how difficult production costs are. It actually cost the original creator somewhere in the region of 1,100 euros (~$1,400).

Also, I was slightly angered by Mr. Ite's almost-complete exclusion from the Kickstarter video (albeit his name appears in the accompanying notes). Now, I apologise to those involved in advance if he requested not to appear in the video, but at no point does it focus on the writing. Any production will tell you that the writing plays a massive role in this type of project as it is the foundation around which everything is built. With due respect to the entire crew, because his excellent novelisation being around for so long, he is arguably a bigger name in FFVII fandom than everyone else put together. To focus on VFX, Team 2X, music, origins, etc but mention nothing about the script or the screenplay writer's credentials is testament to how inexperienced the management are in these things. But, that's just my opinion.

Also, I was slightly angered by Mr. Ite's almost-complete exclusion from the Kickstarter video (albeit his name appears in the accompanying notes). Now, I apologise to those involved in advance if he requested not to appear in the video, but at no point does it focus on the writing.

Welcome to Hollywood.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
$30,000 is one of those random figures a certain individual has pulled out the air and used to hilight how difficult production costs are. It actually cost the original creator somewhere in the region of 1,100 euros (~$1,400).

Being that I don't know a whole lot about this sort of stuff -- and being that I didn't want to step on the toes of some people I respect around here who have been involved with the project -- I didn't want to be the one to call bullshit, but I never thought that number sounded realistic for that approximately two-minute proof of concept video, in which not a whole lot of anything was going on, when "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth" was almost eight minutes, had more props, more set pieces, actual action, dialogue, etc., and was produced for only around $7,500.

Honestly, throwing around that inflated figure of $30,000 is probably hurting their cause more than helping it. Why is somebody going to invest if they can only expect something about 10x the length of the original concept video, even assuming the Kickstarter goal is reached? And with genuine action and special effects thrown in, hell -- we might be looking at a ten-minute video at best.

That's the impression people are going to get, no matter what is promised.

S and G said:
Also, I was slightly angered by Mr. Ite's almost-complete exclusion from the Kickstarter video (albeit his name appears in the accompanying notes). Now, I apologise to those involved in advance if he requested not to appear in the video, but at no point does it focus on the writing. Any production will tell you that the writing plays a massive role in this type of project as it is the foundation around which everything is built. With due respect to the entire crew, because his excellent novelisation being around for so long, he is arguably a bigger name in FFVII fandom than everyone else put together. To focus on VFX, Team 2X, music, origins, etc but mention nothing about the script or the screenplay writer's credentials is testament to how inexperienced the management are in these things. But, that's just my opinion.

That is pretty infuriating.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Well hey-ho, you learn something new every day :monster:

I wonder where that $30,000 figure came from? Was it the side of the project? I'm really curious now.

Top Bottom