[FF7PC HD] Satsuki Yatoshi Mod - SYW5

Lex

Administrator
This is a trailer I did to showcase the upcoming "Satsuki Yatoshi Mod - SYW5" for FFVII OG, just play the YouTube at Max quality HD and full screen.

For the first time ever you get 30FPS FMVs and HD animations. And all the rest AI upscaled (HD background arts, battlefields, worldmap, magic effects, minigames and menus.)

Very nicely done! I love how faithful it is.

I'm wondering when we'll get to a stage where we can open up the sides for a wider screen. I know for years people said this wasn't possible but MoguriMod has managed to do it with FFIX (although I guess VII and VIII are built in a far older engine compared to the fairly recent IX PC port).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I feel like there's a limit to how much widescreen would change things, since many of the backgrounds aren't drawn much farther that you can see in 4:3 anyway.

Indeed. The background rips from Glitterberri reveal that most of the backgrounds that move have black tile issues. Here’s an example:

1613684596925.jpeg
I’ve been using Satsuki’s mods for about a year now. They are indeed incredible. Seriously anything Satsuki made won out against the competitors (after way too much time spent comparing bahahaha)

I’m really happy that they are addressing the FMVs, as the only other upscale of FMVs inserts stiff high-poly character models overtop of the lego sprites. Yuck.

Once I’m done my Moguri playthrough of FFIX I guess it’ll be time to play NT again doop dee doo

Edit: wonderfully made trailer by the way.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I’m really happy that they are addressing the FMVs, as the only other upscale of FMVs inserts stiff high-poly character models overtop of the lego sprites. Yuck.
Oh that sounds terrible.
I'm someone who's personally against upgrading the character models; the backgrounds and model skeletons were just not made for higher detail or more realistically proportioned characters in the first place. I also just think the low poly style is charming.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
There are a few backgrounds that aren't 4:3, but their backgrounds don't match them. They just scroll along with you, like the area of Mt Corel with the pits, or the blizzard in the great glacier.
Yeah that blizzard effect just follows you around, it doesn't cover the whole area
hyou8_1.png
That would definitely be a problem in wide screen. You also have fields like these where basically nothing exists beyond what you can see in the original aspect ratio:
md8brdg.png
tin_3.png
hill2.png
so black bars would be on the screen anyway.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Oh that sounds terrible.
I'm someone who's personally against upgrading the character models; the backgrounds and model skeletons were just not made for higher detail or more realistically proportioned characters in the first place. I also just think the low poly style is charming.

^so much this. And that’s leaving aside that character animations cause their wrists to do 180s and no overhaul addresses every sprite so townsfolk are deformed ogres, and it’s just a mess.

New Threat improves Cloud’s sprite super marginally. Here’s my comparison shot from my LP:

1613685922624.jpeg

(The image on the right has a satsuki background ;) )

I would love an overhaul that removes the blowjob mouths from everyone and cleans them up a little, like this Cloud model. This one looks promising:

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4?tab=posts

edit: on black bars, I don’t find it that jarring when FF9 Moguri switches between widescreen and black bars. There are, however, a few instances where special effects don’t fill the widescreen (like the blizzard effect you showed) — the mist inside Gargant Roo is one example. There are also instances of characters walking to the side of the screen and stopping — they would have been off screen, so it’s like I’m looking at actors standing in the wings of a theatre. This causes a few hiccups, particularly in the peeing scene (Zidane and Vivi literally glitch around while we’re supposed to only see Eiko) and Garnet’s balcony address on Disc 3. Super worth it for the overall improvement, but I don’t think FF7 would benefit as much.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
New Threat improves Cloud’s sprite super marginally. Here’s my comparison shot from my LP:

1613685922624-jpeg.9175

(The image on the right has a satsuki background ;) )
Honestly I don't even like that. The purple is classic, man. Just leave it alone. This comparison really shows the improvement with the BG, though lol.
I would love an overhaul that removes the blowjob mouths from everyone and cleans them up a little, like this Cloud model.
Ages ago I downloaded a simple mod that just removes the mouths entirely, like it is on the PS4 port. It did it for all the characters and NPCs. I'm fine with little things like that since that's how it was on the PS1 anyway.
I love the battle models here, though. Those are perfect! it makes me think that that's what VII would have looked like on the PS2.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I like those since they're basically just higher fidelity versions of the low poly ones, kinda reminds me of FF9.

Looking at the screenshots, the lack of lighting in the battles does look a bit strange, but those are just the allowances you have to make for the engine. I guess that's why I don't mess with the graphics much, it becomes too obvious you're going beyond what the game was intended to do. Barret's model also just looks a bit wrong.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I definitely played with a mod that re-proportioned NPC models too...not sure which one it was...

Hmm... I suppose the last time I changed the field models with a mod was on Windows XP lol

Will there be an option to opt out of the fps feature of the videos? I wouldn’t mind the higher resolution, but I found with Moguri I preferred the lower fps and wound up reinstalling the mod just to reset the option (toggling it off caused glitches).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Was hoping to find a video in a town, but with as long as I'm willing to search, I think this is like the one I messed around with - note the Shinra troopers, all the NPCs look like this now:

Now obviously I already have an issue with this because Cloud's got the Buster Sword on the wrong way :rage: But I remember 7th Heaven having one where your currently-equipped weapon appears on his field model which was pretty cool.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm in the "vanilla models are best" camp (without mouths too, PS1 purist over here). You can't escape the lego characters! Mod away, but they'll always appear in FMVs such as Cloud jumping on the train in Sector 8 or Tifa jumping from the Junon cannon. There's also the matter of proportions as Ody said. Take the 7th Heaven field map for example. The drink bottles on the table will look ridiculously large if you use any mod that reporportions the characters. As for New Threat's recoloring, for me it's all about consistency. Are the battle and Chocobo riding models updated as well? Still won't match the FMVs mentioned earlier though, but I understand it can be fun just to see something different.

The world was designed with the lego style in mind. And I think the models hold up well against contemporaries such as Wild Arms. Certainly expressive enough. Despite being their first 3D FF, Squaresoft had a knack for animation. Seriously they were ahead of time. Everything from Cloud's shrug to Sephiroth's laugh is effective and even iconic. Getting off topic but I think masterful animation (for the time) is a big unsung hero of the OG.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Was hoping to find a video in a town, but with as long as I'm willing to search, I think this is like the one I messed around with - note the Shinra troopers, all the NPCs look like this now:

Now obviously I already have an issue with this because Cloud's got the Buster Sword on the wrong way :rage: But I remember 7th Heaven having one where your currently-equipped weapon appears on his field model which was pretty cool.
Man, those models look great. The lego style will always have its unique charm though, but I would use this mod without thinking twice.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
In Super Eyepatch Wolf's FF7 video, he gets to the heart of why I don't like messing with the models:
(it will jump to the correct time in the video I think)
I don't mind if other people do it for fun, but I don't think I'd ever consider updating the models an "improvement" to the game. It was a product of its time, and trying to fix that kind of takes something away from it. Granted, as long as Square themselves don't mess with it, I don't care what people do on their own time lol.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
In Super Eyepatch Wolf's FF7 video, he gets to the heart of why I don't like messing with the models:
(it will jump to the correct time in the video I think)
I don't mind if other people do it for fun, but I don't think I'd ever consider updating the models an "improvement" to the game. It was a product of its time, and trying to fix that kind of takes something away from it. Granted, as long as Square themselves don't mess with it, I don't care what people do on their own time lol.
I don't see them necessarily as an improvement, even if I personally like the more realistic styles of FFVIII and onwards than chibi ones.

If you look at promotional FFVII CG renders, major cutscenes from the game, and battle models, you can see they were moving to that direction.

Either way, I already experienced the original title as it "should" be experienced, so its also a matter of spicing things up.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
OK so I'm about to have a go at OG once again, and I was wondering what mods I should consider? That Satsuki mod looks nice, but I think I definitely need the re-translation one? I don't really think I'll need anything else beside this because I'm in the "I like the old models anyway" camp.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I always tell people to be cautious when using the "Beacause" mod. It's really not a retranslation, they just rewrote the English script to "sound better" if I'm remembering right.

Top Bottom