FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Great... now I'm NEVER going to be able to un-think that there's a creepy, invisible Sephiroth watching me in that room... Terror forever. (Seriously great find though, dude).

X :neo:

Great... now I'm NEVER going to be able to un-think that there's a creepy, invisible Sephiroth watching me in that room... Terror forever. (Seriously great find though, dude).

X :neo:

I can give you something else you'll never be able to un-think, even though it's not as awesome. :monster:
The interior shinra elevator actually uses a field model as a switch, rather than a line/border. The field model used is Choco Billy, randomly enough.
70UGx.png

However if you make him visible, only his feet will be seen because his upper half is obscured by the background.

4XM5H.png

So yes. Next time you play this part in FFVII, know that you are pressing a little boy in order to go to a different floor. :awesome:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^I actually think that is more creepy than the Sephiroth thing...

So yes. Next time you play this part in FFVII, know that you are pressing a little boy in order to go to a different floor. :awesome:

Shinra are sick fucks!

Fangu

Great Old One
You people are putting too much into these. They're programmers. They have a lot of inside jokes. Someone probably just didn't bother to make a new class or whatever and decided to use something they already had. I thought it was pretty funny.

e.suna

little nerdling
On his second day on the job in Shinra HQ as an elevator switch, Choco Billy realizes that life in the big city just isn't working out for him. :lol: Definitely an intentional joke by the programmers.

The Sephiroth find is creepily awesome, too. It's making me wonder, why does FFVII leave so many invisible field models everywhere and so much unused text? Or is this typical in game programming, to leave the content you don't use?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The Sephiroth find is creepily awesome, too. It's making me wonder, why does FFVII leave so many invisible field models everywhere and so much unused text? Or is this typical in game programming, to leave the content you don't use?

Highly common. The amount of unused, residual textures for mountains and other terrain left in Shadow of the Colossus is roughly equivalent to the amount that the player can normally access.

There's even a gigantic dam-like structure that was left in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvpcwR7Omdg

Also, this stuff isn't buried in the code either. You can see it just by hacking Wander and moving him outside the limits normally available to the player. The daylight glare they programmed in prevents you from being able to see these things most of the time when you're still inside the normal play limits, though (people who hacked the game also found out how to turn this glare off).

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Ha, that thing about Chocobo Billy is awesome XD I bet they never expected anyone to find that either :monster:

Creepy about Seph growing too... Cloud doesn't seem too concerned though :P

It's making me wonder, why does FFVII leave so many invisible field models everywhere and so much unused text? Or is this typical in game programming, to leave the content you don't use?

Like Ariadne said, it's very common.

The wiki The Cutting Room Floor is devoted to unused content in electronic games. Some of the most common things programmers leave behind are debug modes and icons. In 2D games, you will often find single unused frames for animations and the like. All these make sense to be left behind, because as a programmer you never know if you might be ordered to do some tweaking at the last minute via the debug room. Nor would you carefully check and list each sprite for a character, just so you could save a few bytes by deleting that which is superfluous. :hohum:

FFIX is a bit unusual in that it has no debug rooms, according to the wiki.
http://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_IX

To me it shows how, by the turn of the millennia, refined and automized the PlayStation era J-RPG development process had become. =)

Hmm, I notice that TCRF has no entry on the other FFVII titles. The qhimm wiki got some stuff on Crisis Core though.
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7:CC#Miscelenous_Findings

Last edited:
Wow, what fun. =D

Was messing around with FFVII, just fo' fun (well, almost just for that reason), when I look at a field for the Cargo Ship.
Take a look...
E5CBl.png

Yes, the Id group for one of the field animations is called "fucker".
Hasigo = stairs/ladder.
Fucker? This is the animation for ocean waves. Also, there is no animation for any stairs or ladder, yet it has two parameters for the animation. It might be something that is visible only without the field's front layer, but I can't check that...

The reason I was messing with this field was so to make it transport me to BLACKBGE; a field that was used for debugging the Safer Sephiroth battle. It sends you to the battle with THREE Cloud in your party.
NofNo.png

The funny continues, as imgur names the image "NofNo.png".
HAHA! I bet that is Sephiroth going "NO F*CK NO!".

I confirmed in this battle that if you battle Sephiroth on disc 1 or disc 2, the game will freeze if Safer Sephiroth tries to use Supernova. Only disc 3 has the folder "SNOVA" which has the data for this attack. I reckon many others know of this from before, but my irl friend (forum member, "Dipsiel") was able to compare the files of each disc and find this difference. :D

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Wow, what fun. =D

Was messing around with FFVII, just fo' fun (well, almost just for that reason), when I look at a field for the Cargo Ship.
Take a look...
E5CBl.png

Yes, the Id group for one of the field animations is called "fucker".
Hasigo = stairs/ladder.
Fucker? This is the animation for ocean waves. Also, there is no animation for any stairs or ladder, yet it has two parameters for the animation. It might be something that is visible only without the field's front layer, but I can't check that...

:lol: so
My guess is that they found the waves a 'fucker' to animate?

Great work Shademp, this is like when those xray things are used on old works of art to see the lines underneath.

Dipsiel

Proper Fool & Aspiring Artist
AKA
Dipshit, Dirty Hooves
Wow, what fun. =D

Take a look...

I was truly pleasantly surprised! When my shoddy python script exploded on me I thought I had just derped up the file list somehow, but it actually turned out to be something of use!

So many things to discover! oO

Ok, that was some serious detective work...

As I've mentioned, or at least implied earlier, each field has an author signature. Motomu Toriyama's signature is "Tori", Kazushige Nojima's sig is "nojima" and so on. These guys are the "Event Planners", see here.
One signature, "oka", I presumed to be Kazuhiko Yoshioka. But after further research and making a complete field ID list complete with author signatures, I have confirmed that Yoshioka always wrote his name as "yosioka". At first I thought he might just have used a short spelling now and then, but this grew unlikely as his debug room contains no references to the fields where "oka" is the signature.

So then I looked for a debug room with the oka sig. None was to be found!
"WTF is going on!" I thought to myself. The reason I was so eager to find out was because I had referred to Kazuhiko Yoshioka as the one in charge of the Shinra HQ 62nd floor password challenge (in my UT Part 5 article), but the signature was "oka", not "yosioka".

I don't have 100% confirmation, but I am confident that oka is in fact Masaru Oka, Map Planner for FFVII.
Even though he is not listed as an Event Planner, he could be the guy. He is the only "Oka" guy in the Field Section credits.
On a related note, there are three select fields that have the signature "iriguch", which refers to:
Junko Iriguchi (Map Planner) or Murasaki Iriguchi (Character Modeler).
By no surprise, the different staff sections worked together to make the game and even left their signatures in the field files.

After FFVII, Masaru Oka worked as an Event Planning Director for Kingdom Hearts II & Crisis Core. This is if I trust the MobyGames site and assuming that they are referring to one and the same Oka. His experience as an event planner in the original FFVII, even though he is not listed as such, might be what gave him confidence for these future assignments.

I've edited the UT: Part 5 article so it refers to Masaru Oka instead of Kazuhiko Yoshioka. I might be wrong, but I'm willing to bet on this. The areas where the "oka" signature is used are:
Shinra HQ, Nibelheim and Nibelheim-on-fire, Ghost Hotel interior, Chocobo Racing areas, Aerith's death, climbing Gaea's/Gaia's Cliff, and a dozen or so fields here and there.

This whole deal of figuring out who was responsible for what is messy. One other person listed as a field planner is "Kazuhiko Aoki", but no signature resembles his name, nor does he have his own debug room. What the blazes did he do?! Apparently he was the producer for Chrono Trigger...

EDIT: I also finally got another detail sorted out.
kita = Yoshinori Kitase, NOT Takashi Tokita.
Tokita's signature is "toki", though without knowing that you could easily think that his signature was "kita".

Last edited:
Many are aware that in the PC version, after Aeris dies, Vincent's field model will act funny and proceed kicking Aeris, then Cloud. :monster:
By viewing the field models for the PC version I can find other instances where the characters have displaced polygons. Then I check if the same error exists in the PSX version. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

Noticed that Ifalna was in an unseen state of distress in the PC version, so I looked for it in the PSX game...
gnqs5.png

No wonder the woman is dying! She has been completely maimed! Look how her severed foot is humorously pointing northeast.

Tifa and Barret also has two normally unseen animations where they go bonkers. It's a bit difficult to see with the context in which I triggered them, but here they are.
lRQ8X.png

Barret's left arm is severed and, well...ow?
1PkTc.png

Tifa suddenly decides it's time to do some ballet. Notice those two orange dots above President Shinra? That's...part of Tifa, actually. You can't tell because I'm not presenting it in-motion, but yes, an arc of shards of Tifa is waving back and forth on the screen.

EDIT: For a better presentation, here is how Makou Reactor shows it.
diHq3.png

hqeu7.png

Last edited:

Stilzkin

Rookie Adventurer
A secret scene at the northern crater?

Hi everyone. I got an e-mail today, in which someone asks me about the existence of two secret scenes in the game. I can’t say which version (JP, US, EU / PC, PSX) he played.

The first scene is about a Sephiroth clone who appears in the northern crater at the cross-way (LAS0_8) under certain circumstances. The clone asked the player 3 questions. The player can’t remember the context of the questions, but his last answer was wrong and then the clone disappeared and the game went on as usual. He was not able to trigger this scene again.

The second one is not a scene but a secret limit break for Barret, Limit 2/2. In the animation, Barret shall run to the enemy, freak out and after the fight he has only 1 HP.

I have no idea if the user, who sent me this e-mail, is telling fairy tales or if he really triggered a scene or a limit break hidden in the game.

I hope someone can tell me something about it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That Barret one sounds like All Lucky Sevens - a state any character will go into when their health is 7,777. They will "freak out" hitting for 7777 damage each strike, and after the battle will have 1 HP (so they don't stay in the state)

Stilzkin

Rookie Adventurer
A secret scene in the northern crater?

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for your answer, Sonic the Hedgehog!

Anyone who knows something about the clone in the northern crater?

Hi everyone. I got an e-mail today, in which someone asks me about the existence of two secret scenes in the game. I can’t say which version (JP, US, EU / PC, PSX) he played.

The first scene is about a Sephiroth clone who appears in the northern crater at the cross-way (LAS0_8) under certain circumstances. The clone asked the player 3 questions. The player can’t remember the context of the questions, but his last answer was wrong and then the clone disappeared and the game went on as usual. He was not able to trigger this scene again.
Lies. This scene does not exist in any version of the game. If it did exist, Makou Reactor would show it.

The second one is not a scene but a secret limit break for Barret, Limit 2/2. In the animation, Barret shall run to the enemy, freak out and after the fight he has only 1 HP.

I have no idea if the user, who sent me this e-mail, is telling fairy tales or if he really triggered a scene or a limit break hidden in the game.
7777 fits best with the description, but still I wouldn't consider this to be truthful especially when looking at his first lie.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Was browsing through this thread and came across this almost two-year old post:

The what-the-fuckery to me is that it was not until this year I realized that if you choose The &$#% Room in Honey Bee Inn, Cloud gets RAPED.

Honestly, I had been to that room before but never did the thought cross me that Cloud received an improper "rub"... >_>
This must be the year that marks my ultimate descent inte perverse thinking. :awesome:

I imagined Mukki molesting Cloud at best but that doesn't quite explain the pounding and all that sounds.. though I'm still not fully convinced that Cloud was butt-raped

Either way it means that Cloud's first sexual experience was with a gay, old man

template.jpg

Top Bottom