FFVII Fanfiction

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Lol, thanks Ody. I've just always had a soft spot for underdogs like that, especially the pretty ones. And it's nice to see her finally getting a chance to shine. And from what bits I've seen of the demo, it seems like it's not such a one-sided thing anymore - and it's not just the smirk he gives her.

They have good banter and nice chemistry together, and he's very different toward her than he is toward the guys - much nicer, he shows concern for her, and he doesn't do a thing to dissuade her obvious interest in him. When he tries to answer her question about his relationship to Tifa, he doesn't brush her off or act uninterested. On the contrary, he's very nice to her about it, and by the way we've seen him talk to and about Tifa in trailers, it seems he sees her only as a friend, at least for now, which he may have been trying to tell Jessie before Barret annoyingly interrupted him. Trust the big guy to ruin the moment, lol. Hopefully Cloud'll get to answer Jessie's question later, opening the way to more potential attraction between them (possibly depending on player choice if the affection system is in place).

I actually didn't think much about Jessie until the E3 trailer came out last year. I had always liked her, but hadn't known she'd have such a presence in the remake until then, what with seeing her on the bike with Cloud and then giving him the materia. I was also writing the early parts of Lifestream at the time, so writing their interactions for it sort of bonded me to her as well, especially when it came time to write their farewell in the pillar. The TGS trailer, with that forward shot of her and Cloud on the bike as well as her eyeing him in the parachute, just added to it even more along with the fact that the aforementioned shot looked as though it had come straight from a certain scene in my story that I had written not long before then. It really surprised me, and while I know it was just a fun coincidence, it's still one of my favorite shots of them together.

And as I said in that thread about what the remake means to us, writing about what happened to Jessie in the story also brought up memories and feelings about what had happened to my own girlfriend years ago. And she wasn't all that different from Jessie in some ways. She didn't look like her, not really, but like Jessie she was funny, a bit goofy sometimes, smart, and caring. So maybe that's another part of why I like her. And just the thought of a character who was once just a minor player getting a second chance, getting so much more time and development and spotlight than she did the first time and getting a chance at something she didn't have before, makes me happy. She's not a five-minute bit character anymore, lol. No doubt about that.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Clessie is definitely going to be a thing in the fandom, regardless of how their interactions are handled in the Remake. Surprisingly enough, I had a friend who was into them as a couple ages ago :P I think she even wrote a few fics about them and about the very minor named characters of the game, such as Johnny and Dio. I’ve completely lost contact, but I hope that wherever she is she’ll enjoy what the Remake has to offer.

And Jairus, I also like what you say about secondary characters having a chance to shine. Especially when I was very young, I had this instinctual… I don’t know, protectiveness towards them and my mind tended to graviate towards them more, even when I liked the actual main characters of a story. The most notable exception to this pattern I had were Cloud and Tifa, but then again, I never felt they were standard main character material and they were really not the kind of main characters I had been exposed to as a child.

Jairus

I was just saying there's a possibility Clessie will grow with the release of the remake, especially considering what Vortigern said about it seeming to have more of a foundation in the new canon. But thanks, youffie. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Ellone of FFVIII is another secondary character I have a similar liking for, as another example. I wrote an entire FFVIII/FFVII crossover epic around her years ago back during my time at FF:WA when the place was still alive. I'm actually revising it now, may put it up here eventually, but it's just another example of what you were saying, about that fondness for such characters as her and Jessie and giving them spotlight and attention as well as the main cast.

Jairus

Final Fantasy: Worlds Apart - it was an old FF fan site back in the day, with forums much like these, and I was a member there for a long time (under my old name Axwind). Sadly the site's gone now, just an abandoned main page and not much else. FF:WA and Final Fantasy Online (now Final Fantasy Society) were rival sites in their more active days, and a lot of folks from FFO migrated to FF:WA due the forums being friendlier and less restrictive than FFO's.

Jairus

The forum population and activity dropped a lot once FFXI came out, and it never recovered. It just kept shrinking over the years, and now the forums are gone. I had some good friends there but can't find them anymore.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Ok, so I went and made myself an AO3 profile to have empiric evidence :monster:

Yesterday I published a FFXV oneshot in AO3, whch had been also published in FF.net this past month. Here is the data:

FF.net: Published on Dec 6th. 23 visitors and 24 views until Dec 24th. No visits afterwards. No faves.

AO3: Published on Jan 8th. 40 hits. 5 kudos. 1 comment.

It's just an example, but I guess it suport that, for newer fandoms, AO3 has more traffic and public.

I didn't mention that my story got quickly buried under a pile of yaoi, rape-fict and smut :monster:

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I know that the conversation has moved on, but you know, I remember the Genesis Awards (I was also on LJ, ha, I feel old). I only used the forums as an additional tool to browse through that huge monstrosity that is fanfiction.net, as word of mouth and people's favorites were pretty much the only ways I ever landed good fics. I have to say, I did find it useful. I also noticed that it died after a while, but I had just assumed that people had lost interest. Sad to read that it went down in a blaze of flames and drama.

I agree that awards in fanfictions are bad because people tend to lose it and things can become quite nasty (I have my fair share of crazy stories, unfortunately), but with so many fics available at all times sometimes it's hard to find something special or an underappreciated gem. I have never really been on AO3 because it became popular around the time when my interest in fics waned, but I found it a bit overwhelming and tags are not always helpful if you're not looking for anything specific. Things get buried way too fast.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Same here. I lost interest on reading fanficts by the time AO3 became big, and about writing, life got in the way and my source of ideas ran dry until very recently. When I came back to FF.net past year most of my followers had closed their accounts or left them for good because either lost interest or moved on with their hobbies (same in DeviantArt, but that's another story), so now I'm like starting from scratch and learning the ropes.

AO3 does look overwhelming at first. I hope I can get the knack of it soon.

By the way, I still have old fanficts that I liked saved up on my HD. I didn't have a consistent access to internet back in the day and I wanted to have them on hand just in case I felt like reading them. I even remember taking a couple of specially good ones and saving them up as PDFs ("Pale angel go away" and "Evidences of Sephiroth's humanity"). Gosh, I feel really old now :awesome:

Vortigern

Pro Adventurer
To celebrate the impending release of the Remake, I have been undertaking a bit of a project and I am finally ready to share it with you all. Starting back in September I have been voraciously reading through dozens of Cloti fanfictions but one pattern I kept noticing was that the more highly regarded (i.e. Favorites or Kudos) were ones published after Advent Children and based upon it's setting. While I had been initially planning a much more modest post calling attention to these wonderful stories, it struck me one day in early January that there was a sizable amount of stories that had been published prior to the film's release that had seemingly been forgotten about and decided to change my focus towards an effort to parse through these ancient tales and call attention to hidden gems. It has taken me the better part of two months but I am finally ready to shine light upon these stories, set in a world where Geostigma does not exist and there is only one silver haired villain.

Before diving into the meat of this post, I figured I'd briefly go over how I went about my explorations for these stories and determination on what made the cut and what-not.

Fanfiction.net - Romance category: Initially I set a threshold on only considering stories that had been published prior to January 1, 2006 and had at least 25 Favorites, figuring that would be a nice compromise between time limitations and attempting an comprehensive overview. I would later lower that threshold to 15 and finally 10 Favorites during later searches and split the stories into two categories based on their word count. For the larger stories, I strove only to summarize the plot up to a certain point and to provide my take on the story to let the reader decide for themselves if it is worth their while. The shorter stories and oneshots, I decided to leave out a review and let the summary speak for the story itself given their length.

Fanfiction.net - Non-Romance and Uncategorized: Given that this post is only highlighting Cloti stories, I had planned not to delve into these but seeing how the older stories on this site did not make full use of the tag and category system I felt I might be overlooking some if I did not look through these as well. Just as the prior section, the threshold was stories published prior to January 1, 2006 and had at least 10 Favorites.

Fanfiction.net - Abandoned: Self explanatory; due to lack of time I did not review these and decided to separate them as I can appreciate folks may not want to commit to a story without a fulfilling conclusion. Given that for most of these the better part of 15 or more years have passed since the last update, it is safe to say these are not simply on hiatus. There is still the potential for a truly enriching story to be found but well, prepared to be disappointed at your own risk.

Adult Fanfiction: While in the midst of my search, I stumbled upon mention of a purge of Mature rated stories in 2002 on an author's profile. Given my desire to try to cover everything feasible, I sought out more information in this thread and was enlightened to this website where some of these stories migrated over to. Given that the site was launched shortly before or around the time of Advent Children's release, I decided to relax my cutoff date that I had applied to FFnet and included stories published past 2005 that had no sign of influence of AC or set in its world.

AO3: I decided to also look at this site with the same lens as Adult Fanfiction with a relaxed publish date cutoff, however even then the few Cloti stories I found on this site were still largely influenced or set in an Advent Children setting. I didn't want to relax the date cutoff any further then I had so unfortunately I had to end my search of this site with no entries from it on this list.

Finally, I'll be doing an initial spotlight on the true hidden gems that I discovered during my search through hundreds of pages of fanfiction stories. If my post were more like those found prior in this thread, these would be the only ones I would mention. These stories truly hold their weight to the wonderful tales that came later and received more attention due to the spike in popularity that AC and the Compilation brought. It is my sincerest hope that anyone who reads this post finds one or more of these to be a new discovery for themselves that they have never heard of and cherish as they pore over them.

After the spotlight, I'll use the spoiler feature to categorize the rest of the stories so that this mammoth of a post is a 'bit more' presentable but still provide the fruits of my endeavors to those who wish to dive into the rest of the stories I came across, regardless of the quality and cringe found within.

Spotlight

Between Life and Love
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1653414/1/Between-Life-and-Love
During a rest stop on their journey, Cloud takes a seat next to Tifa as she reminisces about past events and dwells on Aerith’s perfection in comparison to her own self-perceived flaws; believing Cloud to feel the same way as she does regarding the Cetra.

Memories
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2449328/1/Memories
Set two years after Meteor, Cloud and Tifa have settled down as caretakers of the Chocobo Ranch as Choco Bill and his family embarks on field research across the world. As they go about their daily routine, both dwell on their inability to reveal their true feelings for one another in the present as well as in memories from their past. Stories like this one are why I decided to undertake this project, criminally under-acknowledged compared to ones that have come later to greater fanfare. The author does an outstanding job through flashbacks showing the gradual development and deepening of their friendship until the dam finally breaks.

The Revealing
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/409778/1/The-Revealing
An alternative and expanded take on the Lifestream sequence, Tifa confronts Cloud who is initially unwilling to return to a world where he has caused so much misfortune. As they confront one another, truths about past events and their feelings for one another are revealed. But what if only Cloud remembers these confessions once both return to the waking world? A truly beautiful and well-written adaptation of this sequence, Tifa’s amnesia after returning to the waking world provides a nice reversal as it provides Cloud the opportunity to fight for their relationship.

Memories in the Stars
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1693709/1/Memories-In-The-Stars
In the immediate aftermath of the destruction of Meteor, Tifa requests that Cid drop her off in Nibelheim and Cloud chooses to join her. Together they take a walk to visit the grave of Tifa’s mother and the Mako reactor as they discuss past events and let the barriers surrounding their true feelings to gradually fall away. Their stroll finally takes them to the well under a starlit night where Cloud makes a new promise to her.

Strife of a Locked Heart
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1163229/1/Strife-of-a-Locked-Heart
After a year of bliss living together in Nibelheim following Meteor, Cloud has of late been haunted by dreams of Aerith and gradually grown more and more sullen to the point of being nigh catatonic at times. Heartbroken and believing Cloud truly loves her, Tifa leaves a note encouraging him to find Aerith as she herself runs away to escape from the pain. Initially unaware of Tifa’s actions, Cloud’s search for Aerith is temporarily interrupted when he discovers the truth and frantically seeks the help of Avalanche to locate the missing Tifa. Meanwhile in Kalm, Tifa finds herself courted and eventually trapped by a mysterious gentleman with sinister motives who knows more than he should. A fascinating story in which Cloud and Tifa’s inability to resolve their mutual hang-up over the lingering influence of Aerith leads each of them through painful paths before realizing their need for one another. I am slightly indifferent towards the OC in this tale as I feel he becomes too prominent and takes away from the natural angst and trauma that Cloud and Tifa produce themselves.

More Than Words
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13472/1/More-Than-Words
An adaptation of the Highwind scene; Cloud and Tifa spend the night before the final battle reminiscing about past events, particularly their experience in the Lifestream and Cloud’s tortured childhood in Nibelheim. Confronting their painful pasts and the looming doom ahead, they confess their love for one another both with and without words.

Stolen Time
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2033830/1/Stolen-Time
An adaptation of the Highwind scene; after sending off the members of Avalanche for a brief respite before the final conflict, Cloud and Tifa reflect on their experience in the Lifestream and the revelations they had discovered regarding one another. At a moment of suspense, Cloud loses his nerve but the night is still young and latent desires are not put to rest that easily.

Gingerale Based Substance
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2300879/1/Gingerale-Based-Substance
Lemon AU; Confused and still seeking answers to his true identity and feelings, Cloud visits Aerith and Tifa one fateful night. Cloud eventually decides to be with Aerith in spite of lingering latent desires and nightmares involving Tifa. These feelings come to a head in the aftermath of an Avalanche get-together as Tifa confesses her need for him and they both give in to their explosive desires and have a one night stand. Wracked with guilt in the aftermath of their tryst, Cloud and Tifa hide the truth from Aerith as their friendship falls apart. In the midst of an attempted reconciliation set up by Aerith, Tifa discovers she is pregnant. An exceptionally dramatic take on the love triangle, this tale may not be to everyone’s liking given the emotional trauma inflicted repeatedly amongst the characters. While I admittedly have a bias on this topic, I think this story shows the inevitable of what would have transpired if Aerith were to have survived. In its own way, it mirrors the canon arc of the game with Aerith being the date and ‘that’ version of the Highwind scene.

Heart of Ice
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1515165/1/Heart-of-Ice
Cloud sets out alone to subdue the mystical Ice Witch that holds Icicle Inn at her mercy while the rest of Avalanche waits back at the small village. When they begin to fear the worst later, they set out on a rescue mission to discover him frozen by a curse and on the verge of death. As they regroup back in the village, will they realize that the means for Cloud’s salvation lies in the one who can bring warmth to his frozen heart before it is too late? A somewhat stereotypical fairytale composition which I could see not being to everyone’s taste, I did enjoy the humor at Cloud and Tifa’s expense when it is discovered that they are the only two deemed ‘capable’ of fulfilling the prophecy.

Sense of Life
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/430775/1/Sense-of-Life
Following their victory over Sephiroth and the destruction of Meteor, the members of Avalanche decide to settle down together in Kalm. Beneath a starlit sky, Cloud and Tifa reveal their feelings and declare their love for one another. Shortly thereafter, Tifa discovers she is pregnant and amidst the joys of this discovery there are concerns about what impact her and Cloud’s past history with Mako poisoning will have upon the child. An exceptionally fluffy story compared to other fanfiction on this list, this tale may not be to everyone’s taste given the lack of drama and angst for most of it.

More
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1847784/1/More
Having spent the two years since Meteor in solitude dealing with his guilt and pain, Cloud falls deathly ill and lies comatose for weeks. Upon recovering, he receives an urgent call from Barret to come to Junon at once. Upon arriving, he discovers that the rest of Avalanche believes him to have been dead due to a mistaken call. Cloud learns Tifa had fallen into a downward spiral after hearing the news, eventually collapsing at home and falling into a catatonic state and admitted to a local mental hospital. A mostly bleak story, it does have an interesting reversal of the Lifestream sequence from the game as this time it is Cloud that strives to bring Tifa back.

Destiny’s Grasp
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/776338/1/Destiny-s-Grasp
AU, ultimately averted; Cloud and Tifa race to the City of the Ancients to protect Aerith, they reach her in time just as Sephiroth launches his attack. With Cloud immobilized after his attempt on Aerith’s life and believing him to love her, Tifa shoves Aerith to safety and takes Sephiroth’s blade herself. In the aftermath of Tifa’s death, Aerith is wracked with guilt and Cloud is gradually overwhelmed by feelings of anguish and self-loathing. When he falls into the Lifestream, Cloud is guided by Tifa’s spirit who shows him past events that reveal her true feelings and love for him. Rejuvenated emotionally by Tifa’s comforting presence yet concerned by her warning that ‘things did not go right’, Cloud and the rest of Avalanche set out to complete the summoning of Holy and defeat Sephiroth. An extremely fascinating concept that is delivered unevenly, the author repeatedly mentions dealing with writer’s block in their notes and the story at times feels more like an outline then something fully fleshed out. In particular, I was upset that they completely omitted the initial Northern Crater confrontation and jumped ahead to Cloud’s descent into the Lifestream in Mideel.

A Dream and a Memory
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1904929/1/A-Dream-and-a-Memory
Haunted by nightmares of Aerith’s death, Cloud runs into Tifa in Wall Market and discovers she is experiencing eerily similar dreams as his own. While discussing the nightmares further that evening, Cloud realizes Tifa’s feelings for him but confesses he isn’t ready for a relationship but promises that will change one day. They resolve to seek out Red XIII and discuss their dreams with him, learning that he has had his own visions of Aerith and that Jenova has survived and is in the process of resurrecting Sephiroth. When Red XIII reveals that they could use similar means to bring back Aerith, Cloud’s feelings for Tifa become muddled and he confesses he is not sure if he truly loves her. Tifa overhears this unfortunately and as the gathered Avalanche sets out for the Northern Crater, Cloud and Tifa’s bond disintegrates amid infighting between the two. An interesting story that struggles with its delivery as the climatic fight occurs about two-thirds of the way through the story. The ensuing ‘epilogue’, featuring a reversed Lifestream sequence between Cloud and Tifa, ends up dragging and feels excessive in length. The battle sequence, while detailed, feels staged as the Avalanche members suffer from an excessive amount of plot armor.

The Search is Over
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1493356/1/The-Search-is-Over
Lemon; Months have passed since the destruction of Meteor, however Sephiroth and Jenova have managed to survive and set their sights on Tifa as a new host for the dying alien. Meanwhile, Cloud sets out on a trip to visit the members of Avalanche in preparation for Cid and Shera’s wedding as Tifa remains behind in Kalm to manage the household and her responsibilities as a teacher. Using the guise of Aerith, Sephiroth seizes this moment to attack Tifa physically and mentally, sowing the seeds of doubt and resignation that will potentially lead her to a pointless sacrifice. A rather heavy and dark story with an emotional rollercoaster of an experience, I will be frank and say that I am not much of a fan of the author’s use of implied rape as a plot device and that soured and likely colored my impression.

Lost in the Shadows
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2698709/9/Lost-in-the-Shadows
Six months following Meteor, Sephiroth and Aerith are resurrected by the Planet to assist Avalanche and the Turks in dealing with a new crisis. Will this unlikely alliance be able to overcome lingering animosities amidst their own ranks to overcome this threat? A general Adventure with romantic undertones, there are Cloti moments to be found in it. While the story does lead to an Advent Children establishment of their family with Marlene and Denzel, it occurs at the very end thus I feel this still can be considered a Pre-AC fanon of sorts.

Irony of Fate
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1301689/1/Irony-of-Fate
Set in an AU where Sephiroth is confronted with the truth about himself during the confrontation in Shinra Mansion, causing a shift in allegiances as a new threat is faced while old animosities linger under the surface. While not the focal point, there are Cloti moments scattered throughout the story. The author has gone on to write an extensive number of sequels and side stories although these tend to focus more on Sephiroth, Vincent and Aerith.

Final Fantasy VII: Life after Meteor
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/944488/1/Final-Fantasy-VII-Life-After-Meteor
Settling down to start a new life in Junon after Meteor, Cloud is soon visited by Tifa as they catch up on recent events while avoiding broaching their feelings for one another. Despite his lingering thoughts and wish to find Aerith, Cloud offers Tifa to move in and live with him as their mutual desire begins to emerge. On their trek to Kalm to visit with Barret and Marlene, they come across the mysterious Lina who bears a striking resemblance to Aerith. Their trip is cut short however when they must fend off remnants of Shinra and return immediately to Junon when Tifa is seriously injured by Reno. While coming to terms with the budding attractions amongst the three of them, their lives are thrown into greater disarray when Weapon attacks and completely destroys Junon. An uneven story plagued by grammatical errors and the author’s tendency to excessively detail certain aspects, the OC Lina is one of the more refreshing ones that I have come across. The romantic elements of the story are very well handled but the antagonists and conflict that concludes the tale verge on absurd unfortunately.

Nightmares & Dreams
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/356061/1/Nightmares-Dreams
Tifa is plagued by nightmares of Cloud choosing Aerith that leave her an emotional wreck. Unable to deal with the pain any longer, she flees from Kalm, leaving Cloud and the rest of Avalanche behind. Soon after, Cloud suffers a nightmare of Tifa attempting suicide by leaping off a cliff edge and resolves to set out to find her. Just as he is preparing however, they receive a call from the local hospital that confirms his nightmare to have been reality. Tifa, suffering amnesia from head trauma and paralyzed from the waist down, is brought home by Cloud who is determined to aid in her recovery at all costs. A decent bittersweet concept, the story is lacking in that it feels like more of a rough draft outline than a fully fleshed out tale. If more time would have been spent giving it more meat this would have been a much better story.

Innkeepers
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1033170/1/Innkeepers
In the aftermath of Meteor, Tifa convinces herself that Cloud’s sorrow is due to a longing for Aerith and sets out alone in spite of his last second pleas. A year later, Tifa is firmly established as the owner of an inn in Kalm and is reunited with Cloud in preparation for Cid and Shera’s wedding. She discovers he has spent the last year looking for her all over Midgar and now that they are working together at her inn, can their friendship finally grow into what they both secretly desire? This story is a bit bittersweet in that it gets off to a strong start but halfway through becomes a slightly muddled mess due to the author’s struggles. As noted by them, their initial intention was for a longer and darker storyline but due to fears of further delays they wrapped up the story and the resulting product shows the rushed nature and impact on the quality of the latter half of the tale.

Through Forest and Grove
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2412273/1/Through-Forest-and-Grove
A year has passed since Meteor and Reno runs into Yuffie in Wutai after the Turks are granted an extended vacation by Reeve for their years of service. Concurrently, Cloud and Tifa travel to Wutai at the suggestion of Vincent to seek a spiritual solution for his recent illness and insomnia. Both men soon find themselves in the employ of the Shrine Maiden of Leviathan’s Temple to pay off a debt they will soon owe. The two bond in the months that follow as they forgive past animosities and their relationships with Yuffie and Tifa begin to bloom. The quaint tranquility is soon shattered however when a mysterious man approaches Yuffie seeking out the two of them and their lives forever changed when it is revealed he is the manifestation of Bahamut and he is their shared long lost father. A decent story with a heavy reliance on outside sources not just for influence but literal characters and world building, the author produces a tale full of mysticism that I personally feel is at odds with the motif of the original game. The extensive insertion of characters and history from other games and entertainment media rubs me the wrong way and turning Cloud and Reno into demigods removes the appeal of them being medically enhanced yet humanely flawed individuals.

The Thin Line Between
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/722687/1/The-Thin-Line-Between
With the threat of Meteor eliminated, Cloud struggles with his place in life and departs in the middle of the night leaving behind Tifa and the rest of the members of Avalanche. After a journey of self-discovery lasting two years, Cloud returns to Kalm to apologize and re-unite with Tifa. However, he discovers she has since married to the man who helped her recover from those dark days of abandonment. Determined to win her back, Cloud pursues her and initiates an affair that will have a lasting impact on all involved. I have mixed feelings on this one as while the story is a decent idea, it is riddled with grammatical errors and the characters increasingly became OOC in the latter half of the story. The author could have used an editor to proof-read this story at the time of its creation but unfortunately that time has long past.

My Eyes Can’t Lie
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1066017/1/My-Eyes-Can-t-Lie
The members of Avalanche separately decide they are in need of a vacation and all run into each other in Costa Del Sol whereupon hijinks ensue. Yuffie, suffering from blindness after being attacked in Wutai, undergoes an operation and starts therapy with the support of Vincent….apparently Sephiroth is back and he wants Yuffie…as his wife…okay, just no I can’t do this one any further. I somehow managed to get through four chapters but this story is so egregiously awful with every last character portrayed completely OOC that I could never recommend anyone to read this. A Yuffentine story with apparently Cloti elements in it but I never saw any before I had to stop. It boggles my mind how this story received enough favorites that led me to even give it a chance.
You’ll Never Know
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2546722/1/You-ll-Never-Know
Cloud, Tifa and Aerith are in pursuit of Yuffie who has stolen the entirety of the party’s materia. Aerith soon finds herself clinging for her life after a rope bridge snaps as they cross, leaving Cloud and Tifa to hoist her up just as a dragon attacks them. Thrown by its attack and separated from the other two, Tifa musters what is left of her strength to kill the beast before succumbing to her extensive wounds. Finding herself in limbo, she is confronted by her future self on where her heart lies and what future she wants before reawakening to Cloud by her side.

Dawn
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2145807/1/Dawn
Hovering between life and death in the immediate aftermath of Meteor, Tifa dreams of a future she so badly desires and hopes that the Planet gives them a second chance. Awakening, she finds herself in the arms of Cloud and realizes that everything will be alright. Blessed with this new beginning, Tifa resolves to tell Cloud those dreams someday and make them a reality.

Marking Days
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1065044/1/marking-days
Initially locked in a daze over the loss of Aerith and unable to move on, Cloud resolves to set out on a search for her and asks Tifa to accompany him. Heartbroken over her unrequited love for him, she tepidly joins him for a time until she can no longer hide her true feelings and leaves Cloud to continue his journey alone. Holding vigil over Aerith’s resting place, Cloud realizes the futility of his actions as his memories of her fade. Haunted by the memory of Tifa’s farewell kiss, Cloud aimlessly wanders the world until he learns from Yuffie that Tifa is missing. Cloud sets out a new journey to find the one he has truly loved all along.

I’m Not Going to be Here
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/972852/1/I-m-Not-Going-To-Be-Here
Unable to fully settle down with Tifa in Nibelheim, Cloud sets out on periodic journeys in search of something that will make him feel complete. After his third departure, Tifa reaches her breaking point and departs as well, leaving behind a poem for him to discover. Upon his return and receiving the poem, Cloud is torn between feelings of guilt and annoyance at Tifa upon reading it. His next journey however brings him no peace as he continues to re-read and ponders Tifa’s words daily. Despondent and alone in his home, he finally realizes Tifa is what he needs to feel complete and sets out on one last journey to find her.

Intoxicated
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2655701/1/Intoxicated
Mere hours after losing Aerith, the party stops and takes refuge from the harsh conditions in a small cottage on Gaea’s Cliff. As the rest of the group seeks out warmth and food, Cloud stares outside and ponders his failures. Interrupted by Vincent who offers a glass of wine, Cloud discusses his guilt over Aerith with him. Assuring him he did all that he could, Vincent asks Cloud to look at the wine and tell what he is reminded of. Staring into his glass, Cloud is flooded with past memories most of which revolve around Tifa. Realizing he still has hope with her around, he walks over to her to offer his wine and provide warmth.

At the End of the Day
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1869206/1/At-the-End-of-the-Day
Five years after Meteor, Cloud reminisces about past events, remembering the moment when he assured Tifa that his love was only for her and when he finally proposed to her. Returning to the present, he heads back to his home in Kalm and warmly embraces her, the moment soon interrupted by their daughter.

Words
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14077/1/Words
Reading a romance novel late at night, Tifa dejectedly compares herself to the heroine unable to confess her feelings. Interrupted briefly by Barret and Marlene saying farewell, Cloud comes to her to discuss his fear that he will be unable to ever find someone. As Tifa reassures him and admits to having her eye on someone, Cloud inquires on who exactly it is.

A Better Man
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1488618/1/A-Better-Man
Cloud reflects on his good fortune that Tifa has stayed by his side through his struggles to become a man worthy of her. As he rocks his son in his arms and gazes upon her, he realizes maybe he finally has and she is the reason why.

Luminance
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1965853/1/Luminance
Waking from a nightmare in which Cloud died in her arms, Tifa gets up and checks on him to assure herself everything is fine. After discussing the nightmare and still feeling shook up, she requests to stay and spend the night with him. As they lay in bed together, they give in to intensifying passion and make plain their love for one another by words and actions.

Say I Love You
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2289966/1/Say-I-Love-You
After aimlessly traveling the world for two years after Meteor, Tifa settles down in Nibelheim to be near the one she has always loved. One day they go out on a picnic together where they discuss Aerith and what she meant to Cloud. Coming to terms with his feelings for the two women, Cloud confesses his love to Tifa and asks her to marry him. Two months later with Avalanche members and friends in attendance, they swear a new promise to one another beneath the well where their very first one was made.

Cruel Desires
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2312051/1/Cruel-Desires
Cloud is haunted by Sephiroth who forces him to relive horrific moments from his past, only able to find reprieve from these nightmarish moments through self-harm or the calming, soothing presence of Tifa. His adoration for her does not go unnoticed by Marlene and the members of Avalanche who coax him into spending some time with her. Provided the Highwind for their night out, Tifa suggests they go to Nibelheim to see the well and her old house. As they walk through the abandoned town, they reminisce about childhood memories as Cloud’s love and desire for Tifa grows. The trip takes a nightmarish turn however when Sephiroth seizes control of Cloud in Tifa’s bedroom and attempts to rape her as Cloud watches helplessly. An extremely dark tale, I mulled whether to include this on the list however there are some lighter moments mixed in and I can appreciate there is an audience for stories that are not mostly fluff.

Revelations
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/47166/1/
Aboard the Highwind shortly after his recovery following the fall into the Lifestream in Mideel, Cloud ponders on the thoughts and feelings of his that were laid bare to Tifa. He reflects on their past in Nibelheim and worries what impact these revelations will have on their budding friendship. Sorting through his feelings he comes to realize how Tifa has always been there for him, providing him comfort and support throughout his myriad of trials and tribulations. He realizes that Tifa has been waiting for him all these years and wonders if they were destined to be, considering all the choices they have made that have led them to this point. As she comes out onto the deck to join Cloud, he comes to terms with his love for her yet decides to wait and let her make the first move.

One Day
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/864820/1/One-Day
AU; Catching up to Aerith as she prays in the City of the Ancients, Tifa senses an impending threat and shoves her out of the way of Sephiroth’s blade. In her dying moments and in Cloud’s arms, she finally confesses his love to him. A despondent Cloud lays her to rest and rues his inability to return her affection as he assumed she would always be there. The strong bond of affection they have for one another however allows Tifa to take on an ethereal form and provide Cloud her presence as he finally confesses his love for her.

Crystal Bits of Snowflake
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14075/1/Crystal-Bits-of-Snowflake
A young Cloud sits upon the well in Nibelheim, delaying his return home in fear of his mother’s reaction to his wounds from his latest fight with the other boys in town. His solitude is broken when Tifa comes out of her house and joins him. As she inquiries on why he is outside on such a cold night and about the source of his wounds, Cloud and Tifa begin to develop a latent affection for one another.

It’s Never Guilty
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2025415/1/It-s-Never-Guilty
Resting in the mountains, Cloud contemplates his feelings for Tifa and the guilt he felt due to Aerith and her passing. Finally overcoming his lingering doubts, Cloud dashes back into town to find Tifa and silently reciprocate her feelings with a passionate kiss.

A Prince and A Princess
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2680284/1/A-Prince-and-A-Princess
Frustrated by her inability to reach a part of a wall needing a fresh coat of paint, Tifa laments her own shortfalls and Cloud’s absence. When he returns home shortly thereafter, an argument brings out into the open their true feelings for one another.

Because You Loved Me
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/394578/1/Because-You-Loved-Me
Two years have passed since Meteor and believing that Cloud will never be able to move on from Aerith, Tifa tells him she is leaving to begin a new life. Initially stunned and unable to give chase as she departs for the train station, Cloud reflects on past memories and what Tifa truly means to him. He realizes that when others had given up on him that she always had faith and that when his feelings wavered between her and Aerith that Tifa remained devoted to him. Cloud snaps out of his stupor and races to the train station, crying out for her only to see the train depart just as he arrives. Falling to his knees in abject misery, Cloud feels a gentle touch on his shoulder and turns to find Tifa as they embrace.

Finally
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2170362/1/Finally
Lemon; Set three years after Meteor, Cloud and Tifa raise chocobos together while still trying to resolve their feelings for one another. This story does come off rather amateurish and I believe its popularity was due in part to being one of the few mature stories to be re-uploaded after the 2002 purge.

A Heavenly Wish
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1330340/1/A-Heavenly-Wish
On a chilly night in Nibelheim shortly after Meteor, Tifa heads out to the well to gaze at the stars and reminisce about her departed friend Aerith. Her thoughts soon shift towards Cloud and her feelings for him, only to be interrupted by Cloud who joins her. Taking her hands into his, Cloud thanks her for all the times she helped him on their journey and never abandoning him as he reveals his love for her.

Birthday
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2504985/1/Birthday
Lemon; Tifa hosts Cloud’s 23rd birthday at the remodeled Seventh Heaven with the rest of Avalanche and friends in attendance. After a night of dancing and prodding from Shera to finally confess to him, Tifa gives Cloud his present back at their flat. The gift, a long-lost watch of his father’s, and Tifa’s response to his embrace causes Cloud to finally realize his feelings for her and act upon them.

Friends
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2259031/1/Friends
Lemon; Stressed out recently from work at her reopened bar in Midgar, Tifa leisurely relaxes in a bath at home while Barret and Cloud cover for her. Her mind wanders to her inability to initiate a real relationship with Cloud in the three years since Meteor before her thoughts are interrupted by Cloud returning home. In the midst of light chatter while watching TV together, Tifa lowers her walls and finally confesses her love for him.

Forever and Beyond
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/207989/1/Forever-and-Beyond
A series of moments between Cloud and Tifa as they struggle to live out what time is left after she is diagnosed with a rare fatal disease similar to brain cancer. The conclusion to a four-part series (The prior parts didn’t meet the cutoff I set hence their lack of mention). I apologize for how brief and dull this summary is, stories such as this I really, really do not like even if done well in a bittersweet fashion.

Mirror Image
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2678791/1/Mirror-Image
Lemon; A late night call from Tifa stating that there is an emergency at the Seventh Heaven Bar has Cloud frantically racing over, only to be confronted by Tifa wearing a mere nightgown. Silencing his question with a passionate kiss, she beckons him to her room for a night of passion.
Memories
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600070045
Lemon; Later that night after finding Cloud at the train station, Tifa guides him up to her bedroom after inadvertently providing him too many drinks. Despite his drunken state, Tifa is exhilarated to see him for the first time in years and decides to make the most of this moment and give in to her budding arousal. Taking charge, Tifa leads a befuddled and overwhelmed Cloud through a release of pent up lust. In the aftermath of their climax however, it is clear all is not well with Cloud mentally as he veers from a catatonic state to a cold, detached persona.

Uncertainty
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600080427
Lemon; On the Gondola during their date in Gold Saucer, Tifa struggles with her confession to Cloud and shows her true feelings through a deep kiss. Taken aback, Cloud moves away and tells Tifa he is still unsure how he truly feels about either her or Aerith as his mind has been focused on the chase after Sephiroth. In spite of the indecision, Tifa and Cloud give in to their simmering lust and satisfy their carnal needs.

One on One
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600005264
Lemon; Cloud and Tifa hold a sparring match to test his injured ankle after weeks of recovery. After Cloud takes a tumble and pulls Tifa down on top of him, she feels his arousal and cunningly decides to reveal Cloud’s state. When their overwhelming desires for one another are uncovered, they give in to a passion filled day that stretches from the sparring room to the bedroom as years of pent up lust are satisfied.

Final Fantasy VII – Night at Gold Saucer
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600070063
Lemon; After a lovely evening together enjoying the attractions and sharing a deep need-filled kiss upon a ferris wheel, Tifa and Cloud head back to the hotel. At the reception desk, Tifa resolves to not let the simmering desires go by and requests a new room for just the two of them. Initially shocked, Cloud follows Tifa as they head up and share a night of passion together.

Warmth
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600080327
Lemon; Cloud, Tifa and Vincent stop to make camp on their trek towards the Northern Crater as the biting cold threatens to overwhelm them. Needing additional warmth and avoiding Cloud who is still suffering from the recent loss of Aerith, Tifa requests Vincent to hold her. Watching with growing jealousy, Cloud joins in as well as their shared body heat soon lulls them to sleep. Awakening to find themselves spooning, Cloud and Tifa give into their latent lust for one another however at the moment of climax Cloud calls out for another…

That Night…
http://ff.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544175741
Lemon; An adaptation of the Highwind scene; After being dropped off on the outskirts of Midgar by Cid, Cloud and Tifa briefly reflect on their shared experience in the Lifestream as they confess their love for one another. Under a starlit sky, they give into their unrestrained passion and consummate their budding relationship.
At The Beginning – 145 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2367047/1/At-the-Beginning

When Heart Rules over Mind – 135 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1742474/1/When-Heart-rules-over-Mind

Waiting for You – 90 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2603135/1/Waiting-for-You

Locked in the Vault – 84 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2259403/1/Locked-in-the-Vault

Through Tifa’s Eyes – 62 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/132566/1/Through-Tifa-s-Eyes

Pieces of Us – 56 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/788026/1/Pieces-of-Us

Sephiroth’s Redemption – 42 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/147267/1/Sephiroth-s-Redemption

Guardian Angels – 41 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/911462/1/Guardian-Angels

Illusionary – 34 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2036853/1/Illusionary

Through the Looking Glass – 32 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/154169/1/Through-the-Looking-Glass

Mending Together a Broken Heart – 30 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1981744/1/Mending-Together-A-Broken-Heart

Silver Linings – 28 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1009910/1/Silver-Linings

Project Rebirth and the Return of Jenova – 27 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2542844/1/Project-Rebirth-and-the-Return-of-Jenova

Fear and Courage – 25 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1567091/1/Fear-and-Courage

Anxious Heart Among The Fireworks – 23 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/891382/1/Anxious-Heart-Among-the-Fireworks

Home is With You – 22 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2577651/1/Home-is-With-You

If the Gods Only Knew – 21 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/546423/1/If-the-Gods-Only-Knew

Beginnings – 21 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2688974/1/Beginnings

Interrupted by Fireworks – 20 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1497963/1/Interrupted-by-Fireworks

Just For You – 19 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2059275/1/Just-For-You

Victim – 19 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2467634/1/Victim

Light My Way – 18 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/415881/1/Light-My-Way

Apacolypse – 16 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2069507/1/Apacolypse

Rift – 15 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1260020/1/Rift

A Second Chance – 14 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1405809/1/A-Second-Chance

In the Deepest Part of Love – 13 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1082438/1/In-the-Deepest-Part-of-Love

Broken Promise – 11 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1619298/1/Broken-Promise

Two Roads One Truth – 10 Favorites
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/963449/1/Two-Roads-One-Truth-rewrite

I would like to close out with one last link to a story I have yet gotten to myself but look forward to reading later this year. This one comes courtesy from a recommendation by LicoriceAllSorts and probably will not come as any surprise to those who have been part of the FFVII fanfiction community for far longer than I have. Written by Frank Verderosa from 1998 to 2002, FF7: The Internet Series (https://archiveofourown.org/series/530380) is a behemoth of a story but having read through the story summaries found on the IcyBrian website, it certainly sounds like a tale I will enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom