FFVII now available on Steam

Steamy Sauce

I was wondering about this yesterday when this was finally going to happen, if at all. As expected, this version appears identical to the Square Enix store download.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'd be tempted to get this if a modding community became available alongside it.

Lex

Administrator
There's already a modding community for VII on PC, you know that right? No doubt they'll play around with this version too.

Lex

Administrator
Tell everyone how good it is Force while I spend the whole summer writing up a series for all the mods :monster:

Seriously it's going to take forever, there are too many now. I remember the good old days before anyone created the handy hacking tools available now when everything was done with Hex :D

Farron

If the sky comes falling down
AKA
Hallelujah

Most of the achivements are pretty easy. Get Yuffie ? No sweat. get a Gold Chocobo ? Might take a while, but no sweat.

The only one that I can't do is defeat Ruby Weapon. I have never been able to do that :p

But most players should have no issues getting these achievements.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Does this have controller support, or do you have to go through the pain in the ass of configuring one?

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Most of the achivements are pretty easy. Get Yuffie ? No sweat. get a Gold Chocobo ? Might take a while, but no sweat.

The only one that I can't do is defeat Ruby Weapon. I have never been able to do that :p

But most players should have no issues getting these achievements.

Most are easy, but 99,999,999 gil? F that. Ruby's easier, lol.

Tell everyone how good it is Force while I spend the whole summer writing up a series for all the mods :monster:

Seriously it's going to take forever, there are too many now. I remember the good old days before anyone created the handy hacking tools available now when everything was done with Hex :D

It really is even better than I expected. I anticipated having the high-res Cloud in combat. I expected being able to use Aerith after Disc 1, stuff like that. But I'm amazed by all there is.

First of all, the game looks so much better than I thought it would. The mod textures make the world map and battle backgrounds look really really good. It's striking.
I was never really interested in having the realistic characters on the field screen because it would look so out of place with the lego NPCs. But no, somehow they gave realistic proportions to every NPC!
I expected redone music, but the music pack I'm using is so perfect. It uses orchestrated or rock versions where they exist/fit well, but uses the normal PS1 soundtrack everywhere else. I really like it, because a lot of the "remastered" tracks lack the oomph of the PS1 versions. But the orchestrated version of the battle theme out of the Crisis Core Credit Roll? Perfect.
I love how you can choose a bunch of different versions for each of Cloud's swords. I'm currently using a great design of the Force Stealer :) The redone magic animations also look fantastic.

But perhaps the most amazing are the complete game overhauls. People have changed steal rates and item drops and completely new quests. There's a hardcore mod that adds a set of three SOLDIERs that become a recurring opponents like the Turks. The biggest problem with that is the HP counts are way too high, I lost patience with it.
I'm using a "Reasonable Difficulty" mod, which tweaks difficulty some to make the game just a little bit harder - for instance, Jenova Birth killed me the other day, I've never had that happen before, haha - while also making Steal and Morph a little more useful.

josh007cl

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I don't know about you guys, but me and a bunch of people on the Square Forums are mad. They told us this was going to be exclusive to their store and now are refusing to provide steam keys to those who already purchased it. Oh well, companies keep doing bad things, maybe one day the players will learn (probably not).

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'd take a guess and say it just makes things so much easier. No need to rummage about for the discs or CD keys. You'd also get the ability to play through with the achievements, post the screenshots to Steam and all the other social things that come along with the Steam service.

You also get the option of having it in your game library, something you can take with you anywhere and jump onto on any computer you access.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well the release on their website had all the same achievements and was digital and all that.
I guess it lacks the social Steam things, that's true. Though I don't think I've ever used any of those.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I seem to be using them more and more, lately. When your Steam friend list starts filling up with people you play with often it's pretty neat to see how their achievements are progressing or screenshots of awesome/weird shit they've found while playing.

Lex

Administrator
Interesting tidbit: people have been running the original 1998 PC version of VII with a Steam launcher that allows all those features for quite a few years, which is why VII and VIII were in the Steam database long before the achievements appeared/ they were launched there. Such a thing might be possible with the newer PC release but I don't think that would solve the achievement problem.

And yeah Force, using the correct set of mods is like playing the game with fresh eyes. There are so many that you can really tweak the game to make it exactly the way you want to play it, but since there are so many the installation process can be very daunting. The fairly recent program "Bootleg" makes that far easier, but you can still expect to spend at least 2 hours with the downloading/installation process. That's why an article series is badly needed here I think.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
And yeah Force, using the correct set of mods is like playing the game with fresh eyes. There are so many that you can really tweak the game to make it exactly the way you want to play it, but since there are so many the installation process can be very daunting. The fairly recent program "Bootleg" makes that far easier, but you can still expect to spend at least 2 hours with the downloading/installation process. That's why an article series is badly needed here I think.

Amen to that! I tried the program "Bootleg" and failed miserly at installing it :( So any help would be deeply appreciated someday!

Lex

Administrator
There's a companion thread linked in the bootleg thread that has step by step installation instructions, it's best to use those in the meantime :)

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Kind of sucks that it hasn't come up on the Summer Sale. I know if just got released (well re-released anyway), but it still should get a nice half off for the summer sale. Oh well, just have to wait for the winter sale to get a copy.

Top Bottom