SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I was half-joking, the point was that it was a needless change, much like changing Luke's line in ESB - "You're lucky you don't taste very good." to "You were lucky to get outta there." And in some ways, it does matter, because Han firing before Greedo ever even had a clue shows the kind of character Han was at that time. Changing that changes the tone of that part of the scene, from him coolly killing a guy who he knew was a threat and turning the tables on him to simply reacting and losing a bit of his edge in the process.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I know the "han shot first" arguement is tired at this point, but it really was just needless like Jairus said. It's especially strange since Solo was all about Han learning to act on his instincts and "shoot first," yet the edit remains.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It was so clearly something that was a mistake, and then the way he just dug in his heels and refused to cede the point, where subsequent versions kept editing the shots closer and closer until finally they basically fire at the same time, lol. And if that's the case, why not just have him be the only one that shoots since you've now lost whatever "self-defense" point you thought you were making.

it is a shame though because I am fully down with all the visual enhancements (to the laser bolts and ships and stuff) in the SE.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It doesn't actually matter whether Han fired first or not. It's like seven frames, FFS. It's not like Greedo killed Han and flew away with the Falcon. It's one of the dumbest things fandom has ever got upset about.

It’s about character. That scenes tells the audience “this is the kind of guy who knows immediately what this Greedo guy is here to do and has no intention of letting him even try.” It shows Han as worldly in the ways of the underworld, and ruthless when it comes to serving himself — all things that are important for the story of both Star Wars and the trilogy at large. The retconned scene says “Han is the kind of guy who suspects what this Greedo guy is here to do, and has every intention of dodging a blaster bolt while sitting at point blank range and returning fire should Greedo choose to do it.”

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
It's not as significant as the fandom makes it out to be. Han tries to talk his way out first, and is willing to kill if need be. The fandom just feels entitled to 'their' version, which they might have got if they hadn't been such assholes about it. This whole movement grew up throwing personal abuse at George and trying to credit Star Wars' success to everyone but him. Because he re-edited a movie in a way they didn't like.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Inquiry: Is there anyone who has a streaming setup capable of capturing gameplay of this chapter for me? There's something in particular that I have been testing, but none of the footage I've found online has it in a really good position, and all of Chapter 18 is blocked off from the native PS4 capture.

X:neo:

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Hey all, I'm very.... very late to the party, but I just polished this off last night and was absolutely blown away with the last 2 chapters basically and how they varied from the original from what I can remember.

Considering now, this thread is 110 pages old.... there ain't no way I'm catching up, so it's probably been covered.... but a few points that I'm hooked up on.

• What the hell was the Whisper mega monster about? Being an opposite/copy/replica/I don't know what word of the party and the mega whisper? For some reason, it made me think of XIII for just how outlandish it became.
  • I became totally lost after going into the portal, as awesome as the clips were.
  • Lost track of the connection between the whispers and Sephiroth.
  • Could not believe how amazing it was to see the recreation of Zack prior to the CC final fight.
  • When the party were walking away and it started to rain, I totally thought of CC once Zack had died and it was raining... low and behold...
  • COULD NOT BELIEVE ZACK FKN LIVED!!!! He was all like "oh... was that all of them?" MEGALOL!
  • Was totally confused about the whisper sonic boom over Midgar once Zack was victorious... was what the party had done in their time line with the big whisper fight alter the time line of Zack and Cloud with the mako poisoning?
  • I'm just so overwhelmed of the quality of the clips. I dragged my wife in to watch also tee hee hee.
Cheers!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Hey all, I'm very.... very late to the party, but I just polished this off last night and was absolutely blown away with the last 2 chapters basically and how they varied from the original from what I can remember.

Considering now, this thread is 110 pages old.... there ain't no way I'm catching up, so it's probably been covered.... but a few points that I'm hooked up on.

• What the hell was the Whisper mega monster about? Being an opposite/copy/replica/I don't know what word of the party and the mega whisper? For some reason, it made me think of XIII for just how outlandish it became.
  • I became totally lost after going into the portal, as awesome as the clips were.
  • Lost track of the connection between the whispers and Sephiroth.
  • Could not believe how amazing it was to see the recreation of Zack prior to the CC final fight.
  • When the party were walking away and it started to rain, I totally thought of CC once Zack had died and it was raining... low and behold...
  • COULD NOT BELIEVE ZACK FKN LIVED!!!! He was all like "oh... was that all of them?" MEGALOL!
  • Was totally confused about the whisper sonic boom over Midgar once Zack was victorious... was what the party had done in their time line with the big whisper fight alter the time line of Zack and Cloud with the mako poisoning?
  • I'm just so overwhelmed of the quality of the clips. I dragged my wife in to watch also tee hee hee.
Cheers!

Congrats on completing the game! Bravo on avoiding spoilers too. Shameless plug but I wrote an article to help with some of your questions, So You Just Beat Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Congrats on completing the game! Bravo on avoiding spoilers too. Shameless plug but I wrote an article to help with some of your questions, So You Just Beat Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Thank you very much, I'll take a looksie for sure. Since the game's release, my city went into lockdown (twice now) and we've got another little minion in the family (born 3 months ago), I've still been working my 50 odd hours a week and learning violin, so some times games get pushed either to the side or is just a very slow progress. In saying that though, I think I did complete FFVI just before my daughter was born, so I JUUUUUUST got that in LOL!

LivingLegacy

Pro Adventurer
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and certainly late on this discussion. I have a few questions on the ending that I can’t seem to find anywhere. Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I can’t go through 110 pages of dialogue.

My first question is how was sephiroth able to get a physical body at the end of remake? I understand that fate and destiny and the timeline was broken by defeating the harbinger. But at that point in time, shouldn’t Sephiroths body still have been in the northern crater?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
My first question is how was sephiroth able to get a physical body at the end of remake? I understand that fate and destiny and the timeline was broken by defeating the harbinger. But at that point in time, shouldn’t Sephiroths body still have been in the northern crater?

Oh it most certainly is still there.

As for how there was a Sephiroth just menacingly waiting to throw down at the end of the highway... Well, we'll have to wait and see. But that wasn't the Sephiroth we'd been pursuing and dancing with before that.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and certainly late on this discussion. I have a few questions on the ending that I can’t seem to find anywhere. Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I can’t go through 110 pages of dialogue.

So, I don't think that we have ALL the answers to what's up with that yet – but I also don't think that Sephiroth has been shown with a physical body. There are 4 different "Sephiroth's" that we see in the game: Flashback, Hallucination, Black Cloaked Man, & Unknown.

The last Unknown one shows up at the end of the game visible to the party in the real world... but we never see him physically interact with anyone/anything – only cut open the rift into the Singularity. For all intents and purposes there's no reason to assume that he's any more "real" than the Whispers are. Everything that happens in there acts like a physical space, but it's not quite reality per se. Being able to fight Sephiroth there doesn't mean that his torso isn't still just floating over in the North Crater.

X :neo:

LivingLegacy

Pro Adventurer
So, I don't think that we have ALL the answers to what's up with that yet – but I also don't think that Sephiroth has been shown with a physical body. There are 4 different "Sephiroth's" that we see in the game: Flashback, Hallucination, Black Cloaked Man, & Unknown.

The last Unknown one shows up at the end of the game visible to the party in the real world... but we never see him physically interact with anyone/anything – only cut open the rift into the Singularity. For all intents and purposes there's no reason to assume that he's any more "real" than the Whispers are. Everything that happens in there acts like a physical space, but it's not quite reality per se. Being able to fight Sephiroth there doesn't mean that his torso isn't still just floating over in the North Crater.

X:neo:

That makes sense. I wonder if this manifestation is similar to the one we see at the end of FF7, where Cloud 1 v 1s him, then snaps back into reality with tifa screaming at him.

After the FF7R fight, we never really see the party return from this setting - it just cuts to zack, shinra, Biggs, Marlene, then we see the party again outside of midgar.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I do kinda hope we get an explanation on how they got out of that realm, especially with Barret being confused on whether or not Sephiroth was still alive or not (and still probably doesn't know the answer because neither men looked each other in the eye so Barret couldn't even see Cloud shaking his head :monster:).

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
How could it? Nanaki and Barret would be distracted by Tifa's and Aerith's underwear (or lack of it, depends on your version of events), if you ask me.
They wouldn't survive the fall.

My new theory is that they did in fact use a rope, Barret slipped falling head first into the ground crushing Nanaki and breaking his neck on impact. Everything else we know is the result of a psychotic break brought on by Cloud freaking the hell out at Barret staring back at him.

Top Bottom