SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 5 Spoiler Discussion

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am part way through chapter 6 so i am just going to put my thoughts for the previous chapters here because i cba splitting them up

- after finding the battles just too simple i bumped it up to normal and that is a lot better. i put it on easy because i remember the guard scorpion in the demo basically being a damage sponge on normal. maybe it's having the ability to customise/upgrade your characters in the full game, but i found the robot boss in chapter 5 (dust sweeper?) challenging but in a good way.
- also i didn't get what battle report 3 was asking with breaking the enemy and using abilities and stocking up the atb. then i realised it meant press triangle when they're in burst. i found that a lot easier with barret or tifa compared to cloud, but maybe that's because i didn't know if it counted if you do triangle>square with cloud. also advancing in the game meant it found new enemies who could take more of a beating and didn't die before you break them. anyway i finished that now
- i kind of like that the story is going with a pretty different twist from the original. i mean, if i want the same story as before i have the original game right here. plus stuff like fleshing out side characters like wedge, biggs and jessie. i didn't get to snoop around everything in jessie's house because like an overly efficient fool i happened to go straight to the point i needed to, and after that could only look at two other things in the room.
- what i don't like is that jessie's surname is 'rasberry'??? was there no one around to stop this from happening??? i know ffvii characters have some odd names but pls don't do this to me.
- wedge got spanked on the bare ass in public
- shinra manager redemption arc incoming???
- roche kind of makes me laugh and i like the little hop he did before the fight with cloud.
- but i think i messed up the bike chase and there might be a reward if you don't completely suck like i do and don't keep pressing L1 when you meant to block. but i least i beat the darts leaderboard.
- loving all the animals and creatures. carbuncle, cute. marle's dog, cute. cats, there's so many cats and wedge seems to have like 70% of them. when you're outside jessie's house and there's those 4 cats walking by, i don't get it (do they represent cloud, jessie, biggs and wedge?) but i loved it. also when wedge picks up the three cats at his house to introduce them to cloud. i want more cat content.
- one npc you walk past mentions someone who's a master at getting cats to like you and i'm guessing it might be wedge but i must find this person and befriend all the cats in midgar.
- it's nice that there's variety and diversity to the general npcs. i've seen a range of body types and skin colours. good job, keep it up.
- i remember some criticism from when ffxiii came out, how the black main characters in square games end up as comic relief. like sazh in ffxiii, and barret feels the same here. but also they are some of the best characters in their respective games. i love barret in this.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
I hope there'll be a bit more interaction with Marlene and I do so want to see the hideout in Seventh Heaven!
I really enjoyed the tunnels and I love how you don't just encounter enemies randomly. Makes running around so much more fun! And all the little conversations and banter... makes me really look forward to the endless stairs in the Shinra building.

And in this chapter I really started to appreciate the battle system. I haven't played XII yet, so I can't draw comparisons, but it really amazes me how nostalgic it feels to the OG (at least for me). Must be because of the ATB gauge and the limit breaks. It just feels like a natural fusion of old and new battle elements. Real time fighting plus a lot of strategic elements is so much fun! And I thought having the summons fight alongside you would be totally weird, but it feels weirdly normal.
And the materia slots and how you can enhance your weapons! Unfortunately I spent all of Barret's SP on his gatling gun before I realized that I already picked up a new gun for him somewhere along the way. :mon: (Don't remember if it was this chapter, though.)

And as a CloTi shipper, of course I squealed my heart out at that train hopping scene. :excited::faint:

Now onto the other threads! At least up to 7!

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
And all the little conversations and banter... makes me really look forward to the endless stairs in the Shinra building.
Yeah, I haven't said much about that, but the very regular banter in this game is excellent. I loved the Dragon Age series for that, and I'm so happy about how well that's been introduced in this game.
It's very lively and dynamic, and it helps so much creating that chemistry between characters... and with the players, by repercussion. Literally "never a dull moment"!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Two dog bowls and basketball are on the ground in a service hallway within Chapter 5.

IMG_20200418_100003.jpg

I checked and sure enough the battle that takes place just outside the door features two Guard Dogs and an Elite Grenadier...

IMG_20200418_101947.jpg

Poor doggos, but great bit of environmental storytelling. What I can't figure out though is the basketball. It features the digits "0619" and presumably two Japanese kanji above it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Is this chapter 5 or chapter 4? idk the transitions aren't super clear to me sometimes. In any case, I thought the return of the dementors was an extended dream sequence. Then it ended and I was like oh... this is actually happening.

These things are officially my most hated change/addition to this remake. Can we please issue a petition for Nomura to stop putting these fuckers in every game he's a part of. It triggers me and I doubt that's the point.

Last edited:

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
lmao nah it's okay. I just thought it was some new cross game reference. But yeah, their designs arent the brightest of bulbs

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This chapter was nice in the beginning. Some good character beats on the train. Cloud stopping Barret from getting into a fight, Tifa telling the dude that she doesn't want anyone to die and the Shinra guy's reaction.

And of course that nice jumping out if the train sequence bit. ;)

Outside of that I guess just a lot of corridors. I did, however, enjoy the fact that hitting tables with your sword busts them up. It was a great way to let off steam. :monster:

Is this chapter 5 or chapter 4? idk the transitions aren't super clear to me sometimes. In any case, I thought the return of the dementors was an extended dream sequence. Then it ended and I was like oh... this is actually happening.

These things are officially my most hated change/addition to this remake. Can we please issue a petition for Nomura to stop putting these fuckers in every game he's a part of. It triggers me and I doubt that's the point.

I thought the same thing! I thought Cloud was having a dream!

I don't hate them myself; yet, anyway. I'm game to play along for now.

Last edited:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Soooo this chapter is pretty short narrative-wise, but I intentionally made it much longer because OF(F) COURSE I backtracked all the way through the tunnels till Barret and Tifa told me I couldn't progress any further :mon: I kind of wish there was a reward for the most persistent players, but alas. We break games and do silly things just because we can.

The difficulty increased slightly but enjoyably, so I fought a lot, and it was fun :D

also i didn't get what battle report 3 was asking with breaking the enemy and using abilities and stocking up the atb. then i realised it meant press triangle when they're in burst. i found that a lot easier with barret or tifa compared to cloud, but maybe that's because i didn't know if it counted if you do triangle>square with cloud. also advancing in the game meant it found new enemies who could take more of a beating and didn't die before you break them. anyway i finished that now
Oh, thanks a lot for the explanation! I've done 6/10 so far just out of sheer luck. Chadley is not very good at explaining what he wants :wacky:

I have a bad habit in using my potions only to bump into a healing station
Saaaaaaaame
67280105.gif

Edit: didn't realise I had completed two chapters at once. The pacing, dammit!

Last edited:
Top Bottom